ImageImageImage

Will Reggie Jackson be our PG of the future?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Will Reggie Jackson solidify himself as our PG of future

YES
52%
NO
48%

Total votes: 153

The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Re: Will Reggie Jackson our PG of the future? 

Post#81 » by The Penguin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
LOL cuz OKC couldn't wait to get rid of a expiring contract and take on salary!? OKC gave expiring contract , took on salary , and got RJ+a first round pick, but thought a 2nd round pick was more important!?

If Detroit gave up a first round pick , i'd be more inclined to agree with you, however they didn't. Detroits 2nd rounder was not what was holding up the deal

The trade wasn't going to work without getting rid of Perkins contracts, and the Pistons weren't going to take it on to buy him out. Stop being so dense. Don't know wtf you're talking about OKC thinking a 2nd round pick was more important.

Exactly my point

OKC: Yo stan, we want DJ and kyle we'll give you reggie
DET: shoot we are down
OKC: and perk
DET: now hold on their, we aren't willing to take that........
OKC: okay, how about Perk goes to UTH and you guys throw in a 1st
DET: 2nd
OKC: RJ's on the plane

Either way you put it, OKC gave a way a expiring contract and 2 first rounders(RJ included) for DJ, Singler, and KAnter. They got screwed.

Don't forget the 1st they traded for Waiters as well. But hey, it'll make things pretty interesting when Durant is playing for the Wiz and Westbrook is playing for the Lakers.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#82 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:17 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
From what I've read, Bower was really the catalyst for the deal. To give credit where it's due.

i would agree, but SVG deserves credit.

But, Detroit made the bigger gamble. OKC knew exactly who they were getting. We took a backup and are making him a featured player. But, it was absolutely worth the gamble considering the cost, in my opinion. Even if it turns out terrible, it will still be a good deal in my mind simply because we didn't give up any core players of first round picks to get RJ.

how did we make the gamble?

DJ just recently started playing well but still is a liability on D.
He was never our future PG
We maybe get in the playoffs if DJ plays continues his play, maybe not
Singler was starting becuase butler can't play that many minutes.

on the other hand

RJ has the physical tools to play both sides of the ball
He's 24
a RFA
If he's legit, he's better than augustine would ever be
if he's not, we can still trade him for value and we miss the playoffs and have a lotto pick

I just can't see how we took any gamble
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#83 » by Pharaoh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm

We're gambling that Jackson is a piece of the puzzle.

You don't acquire players hoping to trade them later for fair value - you acquire them to stick with you!

RFA or not Reggie Jackson was acquired via trade to be a player in our system for the long haul.

SVG is gambling Reggie will stay. Time will determine that
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#84 » by Laimbeer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Unless someone offers him a crazy contract we won't match.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#85 » by Billl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:35 pm

"I just can't see how we took any gamble"

Really? He's our only pg at this point. He's going to determine a whole lot about our team. If he doesn't buy in defensively or he doesn't keep the whole team concept going offensively, it could undo a lot of the progress we've made. If he flashed out and Monroe walks, we're back into rebuilding mode. Obviously, that's a gamble. I think it's worth the risk given his talent level, but it certainly is a risk.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#86 » by DetroitSho » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:14 pm

mercury wrote:
Hotmayo wrote:
epheisey wrote:
It's not. I know I mentioned it at least a few times.

But :bowdown: /s

haaaaaa my bad I didn't know you'd mentioned it. Great minds think alike :D

Thinking Show said something like I swear I want Reggie on this team... he'll correct me if I'm wrong :^)

Lol man hush. But yeah you're correct, I was on the Reggie Jackson train before it was popular. I honestly don't remember anyone else championing Jackson before myself as I was willing to trade our pick last year (before we were ultimately screwed in the draft lottery) for him. But it worked out even better.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#87 » by vic » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:49 pm

If he can hustle on defense and use his length to slow down other point guards while he spreads the ball around on offense he'll be worth it.

His size and strength alone on defense at the point of attack is worth him being the starting point guard by itself.

If he starts scoring efficiently that's just icing on the cake.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#88 » by Brapman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:50 pm

We got a 6'3" PG with crazy crazy long wingspan, (I heard 7 foot, but I'm not sure I heard that right), who is just as quick and is faster and a way greater leaper and finisher than Brandon Jennings, who is way shorter and way less 'wingspanny.'

He's an elite physical talent and quite possibly an all-star PG. He's played awesome BB on the biggest stage, including the playoffs. He's 24 years old. He doesn't have a ceiling that's lower than the best PGs in the game. I've been dreaming we could someday find a guard like that, and he showed up on our doorstep wrapped in a blanket, and we only had to lock Singler, DJ and a second rounder in 2017 and one in 2019 out of our house to make that happen.

This is the biggest no-brainer I've seen in forever.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#89 » by Liqourish » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:50 pm

I thought the discussion in the general forum was just fun, but now it's just sad. People will say anything to bring this kid down just because he didn't take Durant/Westbrook's crap.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#90 » by Liqourish » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:52 pm

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/butler-throws-credit-pistons-turnaround-back-svg-you-believe-his-track-record

Butler got an inside look at Jackson last season, when he joined Oklahoma City for the season's final 22 games after negotiating a buyout with Milwaukee, eventually earning a starting spot during the Thunder's run to the Western Conference finals. Jackson played a pivotal role in getting OKC past Memphis in the second round.

"I told (Van Gundy) all the pluses, because there wasn't any minus," Butler said. "I said he'd be a great addition. He's a guy that can get into the paint. He's definitely got, not a star mentality, but superstar potential. He can really help us. He brings a different feel to the court."

Butler saw Jackson battle Russell Westbrook in Thunder practices and knew he was ready for a broader role, just as he saw another young point guard push a superstar daily at a previous NBA stop.

"I saw that with Eric Bledsoe when we were in L.A., same type of thing," he said. "Chris Paul was challenging him night in, night out. Chris Paul, one of the best guards of our generation, and Eric was holding his own, so I knew he would prosper in that Phoenix situation and I see the same thing happening here for Reggie."
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#91 » by Brapman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm

I haven't read all the comments in this thread or on this Forum, but I'd rather have a kid who's desperate to run his own team than who's willing to be a bench guy behind a top 5 guy in the league who plays his position.

There have been a lot of bitches throughout history in sports that refused to play for a team and forced a trade, and who became champions. Elway is one who comes immediately to mind. Harden did the same thing (a bit more quietly). Shaq.

We're the luckiest franchise in the league today, IMO. We just acquired a potentially elite, yes elite PG, for a ham sandwich, a Yugo, and two future ball-boys. He's going to team and grow with KCP to form one of the best and most athletic (and long and strong) defensive backcourt duos in the league.

Criticizing this is bizarre.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#92 » by hoophabit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Unless someone offers him a crazy contract we won't match.

Yes, and what Jackson and the team does from here on out will determine what is considered "crazy." :lol:
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#93 » by sc8581 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 pm

hoophabit wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Unless someone offers him a crazy contract we won't match.

Yes, and what Jackson and the team does from here on out will determine what is considered "crazy." :lol:

He'll probably get maxed out but I'm more comfortable already giving him that kind of money over Monroe.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#94 » by treefi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 am

2 games for Reggie
19.5ppg - 6.5rpg - 7.0apg - 42.4FG% - 25.0 3% - 90.0FT% - 2.5tpg - 32.5mpg

56% shooting since missing his first 8 shots! :wink:
Maker_84
Banned User
And1: 220

Post#95 » by Maker_84 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:44 am

Reggie Jackson is the TRUTH, top 5 PG in NBA potential but we have really 0 weapons around him besides KC3
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#96 » by DETermination » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:45 am

treefi wrote:2 games for Reggie

Might want to re sign him lol :wink:
Detroit vs Everybody
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#97 » by sc8581 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 am

treefi wrote:2 games for Reggie

Just going off of the last 2 games I think we have the best backcourt in the league, especially if defense is considered lol
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#98 » by Pharaoh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:32 am

Caron Butler played a pivotal part in getting him...and people whined we overpaid!

Best $4.5 mil SVG has spent!
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#99 » by Billl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Kinda hard to argue with the first 2 games. He's playing aggressive, yet unselfishly, on offense. On defense, he's getting after it. He's probably gambled a little more than stan would like, but you can't fault the effort. If he keeps that up and starts getting in sync with the teams in terms of schemes and rotations, he's got the potential to be a great 2 way player.
Maker_84
Banned User
And1: 220

Post#100 » by Maker_84 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:40 pm

he just needs to really work on his shooting in the offseason to become the complete player for next season

Return to Detroit Pistons