ImageImageImage

Mario Hezonja

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Re: Mario Hezonja 

Post#41 » by sc8581 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Mario sounds more Lance Stephenson than Kobe.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I was thinking JR Smith
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#42 » by Notanoob » Wed May 27, 2015 3:51 am

Dirtgrain wrote:
Notanoob wrote:That vert is BS too. He's a quarter inch taller than Stanley Johnson and has a quarter inch longer wingspan, but somehow has an inch less in standing reach? Justise Winslow is a half in shorter, and has 1.5 fewer inches in wingspan, but somehow has a better reach than Anderson by 3 inches? You know that's crap. This happens at the combine every year, guys don't extend up all the way when measuring their reach to make their vert look better. You can't trust the combine verts at all.

Did the Draft Combine already happen?

It does not make sense to pretend to have a lower standing reach, just to make vertical seem higher. It is more valuable to have a higher standing reach, assuming the max vert would be the same either way.

Having a standing reach about the same as Johnson's or Winslow's wouldn't stand out. Having a vert much higher than them will. What's going to get more attention? What's going to catch a guy's eye and make him say, "really? I need to go back and watch some more tape of that guy." ? A freakish vertical draws people, an average reach does not. Besides, common sense says there's no way he's got a worse reach than Winslow, the wingspan/height just doesn't add up.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#43 » by sc8581 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 am

Notanoob wrote:
Dirtgrain wrote:
Notanoob wrote:That vert is BS too. He's a quarter inch taller than Stanley Johnson and has a quarter inch longer wingspan, but somehow has an inch less in standing reach? Justise Winslow is a half in shorter, and has 1.5 fewer inches in wingspan, but somehow has a better reach than Anderson by 3 inches? You know that's crap. This happens at the combine every year, guys don't extend up all the way when measuring their reach to make their vert look better. You can't trust the combine verts at all.

It does not make sense to pretend to have a lower standing reach, just to make vertical seem higher. It is more valuable to have a higher standing reach, assuming the max vert would be the same either way.

Having a standing reach about the same as Johnson's or Winslow's wouldn't stand out. Having a vert much higher than them will. What's going to get more attention? What's going to catch a guy's eye and make him say, "really? I need to go back and watch some more tape of that guy." ? A freakish vertical draws people, an average reach does not. Besides, common sense says there's no way he's got a worse reach than Winslow, the wingspan/height just doesn't add up.

We're all built different man, shoulders, neck and back can change things big time
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#44 » by Pharaoh » Wed May 27, 2015 9:09 am

Only measurements I look at:

wingspan, standing reach, height, vertical...in that order

An inch or 2 under in height or vertical doesn't matter if you've got the wingspan and standing reach to make up for it

Millsap has had a great career. How tall is he? What's his vert? What's his span or reach?
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Re: 

Post#45 » by Notanoob » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Notanoob wrote:
Dirtgrain wrote:

We're all built different man, shoulders, neck and back can change things big time
A five inch difference would be pretty atypical, which is the required difference in shoulder height for those measurements to match up. Justin Anderson isn't like Noah Vonleh and has some super long neck.
Pharaoh wrote:Only measurements I look at:

wingspan, standing reach, height, vertical...in that order

An inch or 2 under in height or vertical doesn't matter if you've got the wingspan and standing reach to make up for it

Millsap has had a great career. How tall is he? What's his vert? What's his span or reach?
6'6.25" barefoot, 7'1.5" winspan, 8'9.5" reach, 32.5 max vert. Undersized, but had long enough arms to make up for it.

The point I'm trying to make is that outside of bigs, people really don't care about a guy's reach. But they do care about explosive athletes, and guys with impressive verticals stand out. So guys will cheat on their reach to give them better verts and get attention, and thus you can't always trust these sorts of measurements. The only ones you can 100% be sure of are his height without shoes and his wingspan.
Maker_84
Banned User
And1: 220

Post#46 » by Maker_84 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Pistons really need to find a couple 6'9 / 6'10 stretch 4's and 3's similar to what SVG had with his Magic teams
Mustinjo
Junior
And1: 239

Post#47 » by Mustinjo » Wed May 27, 2015 4:10 pm

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#48 » by ImHeisenberg » Wed May 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Mustinjo wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ranking-th ... 36253.html

I got a bad link message.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#49 » by joedumars1 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Mustinjo wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ranking-th ... 36253.html

I got a bad link message.

Just brought me to yahoo's front page
Mustinjo
Junior

Post#50 » by Mustinjo » Wed May 27, 2015 11:41 pm

It seems that article for some reason is not there anymore. I found it here. viewtopic.php?p=43738726#p43738726
Mustinjo
Junior

Post#51 » by Mustinjo » Thu May 28, 2015 1:25 pm

It's up again. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ranking-th ... 46574.html
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#52 » by whitehops » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:17 am

here's a video that highlights some 'issues' I have said before about Hezonja. I noticed some of these in the video DX had of his strengths but they are much more clearly displayed here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QTlFFaiL0[/youtube]
bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#53 » by bkseven » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:31 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Mario sounds more Lance Stephenson than Kobe.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Really...? Mario is a pure shooter, and Lance is def not that. I also doubt Mario will be as nasty as Lance on D
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#54 » by sfballa13 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 6:04 am

whitehops wrote:here's a video that highlights some 'issues' I have said before about Hezonja. I noticed some of these in the video DX had of his strengths but they are much more clearly displayed here:

That video is pretty damning

Basically it states he cant create, lowest FTA in the league, alot of dumb shots and passes, chucker, no dribbling skills

Despite all these facts and stats, there will be some idiot GM that will fall in love with Super Mario and take him in the top 7. Maybe he will do good on a team where he has more freedom. He does look like he has talent and after seeing a bunch of videos I was starting to like him alot. But stats dont lie and his numbers are pretty bad esp in regards to TO % and FTA. We can find a catch and shoot bench guy and dont need to waste a top ten pick on Mario.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#55 » by StunnaStan » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:26 am

^agreed. Im so disappointed that the Nuggets are probably going to pass on stanley johnson (whom I have as rookie of the year) for mario hezonja. Dude is a wing that averaged 6.1 ppg off the bench for a European team. That holds no weight as far as im concerned.

Dudes handle is hella suspect. If you go through all of hezonjas highlights, you'll notice an awkwardness in his handle when he puts the ball on the floor. The only crossover ive seen him attempt should've been called a carry. You never see mh attempt to operate from the triple threat position probably because his lack of strength and handle.

Mario is due for a shellshock in july because he'll get exposed during the summer league. If the Pistons are smart, captilize on the bum nuggets draft choice and take Stanley Johnson. If the Pistons had reggie Jackson, Stanley Johnson, draymond green, and Drummond that'd be scary. Sign a good pf while your at it or better yet, trade denver that pick for faried :)
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#56 » by ImHeisenberg » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:01 am

sfballa13 wrote:
whitehops wrote:here's a video that highlights some 'issues' I have said before about Hezonja. I noticed some of these in the video DX had of his strengths but they are much more clearly displayed here:

Basically it states he cant create, lowest FTA in the league, alot of dumb shots and passes, chucker, no dribbling skills

Despite all these facts and stats, there will be some idiot GM that will fall in love with Super Mario and take him in the top 7. Maybe he will do good on a team where he has more freedom. He does look like he has talent and after seeing a bunch of videos I was starting to like him alot. But stats dont lie and his numbers are pretty bad esp in regards to TO % and FTA. We can find a catch and shoot bench guy and dont need to waste a top ten pick on Mario.

I'd easily take Stan Johnson over Hez. The more I see on Hez, the less interested I am. He's a great athlete with a nice jumper. The NBA is full of those guys, they call them role players.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#57 » by zeebneeb » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:34 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
sfballa13 wrote:

I'd easily take Stan Johnson over Hez. The more I see on Hez, the less interested I am. He's a great athlete with a nice jumper. The NBA is full of those guys, they call them role players.
You don't like the guy fine. Hell I've soured on him as well recently, but let's not pretend he only has a "nice jumper".

The guy is a gunner, and the best shooter in the draft, period.

Playtime has also been explained so that's a non issue.

My issues with Mario don't stem from his attitude (I personally love a fiery competitor, think Isiah)his play style, or his shoddy ball Handeling (which can be corrected ) it's his defensive intensity that bothers me.

Some plays he's focused in, and does an outstanding job, and others he's harden-esque out on the floor. That happens because he's having a bad game, gets pulled from the floor, or a myriad of other things, that shows he's not giving effort, thus the reason why players like Johnson appeal to me so much, because he plays his ass off.

Mario needs Alot of maturing, as his temperament effects his game negatively right now, and that's a problem that may never be corrected, and it directly effects his defense, which is a non starter with me. You can be a poor defender, but if you bring it (rip) I'm cool. I hate lazy players.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#58 » by princeofpalace » Wed Jun 3, 2015 1:19 pm

Both Hezonja and Pristaps are incredibly one dimensional and getting overrated because of this shooting craze. Id want SVG to pass on both prospects in favor of guys who are more versatile but can still shoot.
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#59 » by Redeemed » Wed Jun 3, 2015 1:49 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Both Hezonja and Pristaps are incredibly one dimensional and getting overrated because of this shooting craze. Id want SVG to pass on both prospects in favor of guys who are more versatile but can still shoot.

^^THIS

Please go after the rugged versatile 3's in the draft (Winslow & Johnson).
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#60 » by ImHeisenberg » Wed Jun 3, 2015 5:00 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Playtime has also been explained so that's a non issue.

His play time hasn't been explained, just speculated on.

There's a prospect like him in every draft. Some pan out, some find a role in the league, and a lot of them wash out. Joe Alexander, anyone?

We all have prospects we prefer over others. Hezonja's lower on my list than most others.

Return to Detroit Pistons