ImageImageImage

Welcome to Detroit - 8th Pick Stanley Johnson

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Re: Welcome to Detroit - 8th Pick Stanley Johnson 

Post#521 » by Brapman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Even though his release is quick, it's so low that defenders don't have to be anywhere near as close to bother or block his shot as they'd otherwise have to be to bother the shot of a guy with a normal release, let along a high release.

That defenders can position themselves away from him means it'll be much harder for Stanley to dribble drive past him - something that should become a huge strength for him. Johnson's really skilled and over the next couple years, his handle will get a lot better than it already is.

Also, the arc on his shot doesn't allow him to get shooter's roles. Seriously, when his release gets higher - and for sure his coaches will be working on that, and Stanley's a very coachable kid who'll put in the work to make this go well, it'll improve his game by leaps and bounds.

As a shooter, he squares up great, and he has the strength and technique to, ultimately have unlimited range. I think we're looking at a perennial all-star IF he takes the coaching and gets his release point higher. If he doesn't do this, his ceiling is fine player, borderline all-star.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#522 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Brapman
Starter

Post#523 » by Brapman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 pm

The guys who come to mind who have a clearer path than Stanley for ROY are Turner, Towns, Okafor and Mudiay. The first three are going to be primary scorers on their teams - if not THE main scoring options. The first two are also big time shot blockers. Mudiay will have the ball in his hands all the time. All 4 will be 1st day (or near 1st day) starters.

I love Stanley, and think he's going to be one of the best players in this deep (at the top) draft class. But he won't be a day 1 starter, and won't be the Pistons go-to player in his rookie season. He and Winslow and Hezonja are going to have to wait their turn to become primary options on their respective teams. So will Russell and Porzingis.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Welcome to Detroit - 8th Pick Stanley Johnson 

Post#524 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Brapman wrote:The guys who come to mind who have a clearer path than Stanley for ROY are Turner, Towns, Okafor and Mudiay. The first three are going to be primary scorers on their teams - if not THE main scoring options. The first two are also big time shot blockers. Mudiay will have the ball in his hands all the time, and he plays in the NY market. All 4 will be 1st day (or near 1st day) starters.

I love Stanley, and think he's going to be one of the best players in this deep (at the top) draft class. But he won't be a day 1 starter, and won't be the Pistons go-to player in his rookie season. He and Winslow and Hezonja are going to have to wait their turn to become primary options on their respective teams. So will Russell and Porzingis.

Never mind

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Brapman
Starter

Post#525 » by Brapman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Yeah, caught that and corrected it just before I saw your post.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#526 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:32 pm

I think Mudiay or Okafor will win ROY just because they will have every opportunity to.
Brapman
Starter

Post#527 » by Brapman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:30 pm

On that awful team, Okafor might lead the league in scoring.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#528 » by roc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Brapman wrote:The guys who come to mind who have a clearer path than Stanley for ROY are Turner, Towns, Okafor and Mudiay. The first three are going to be primary scorers on their teams - if not THE main scoring options. The first two are also big time shot blockers. Mudiay will have the ball in his hands all the time. All 4 will be 1st day (or near 1st day) starters.

Turner should have George, Ellis, Hill, & Stuckey all ahead of him in scoring but nobody much to take boards from him. Towns will have Wiggins, Bazz, and possibly LaVine, Martin ahead of him in the pecking order. He should also be able to grab boards though.

Okafor should have plenty of scoring ops an Mudiay will have the ball in his hands a lot so those 2 should be most likely to put up the raw numbers needed.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Brapman
Starter

Post#529 » by Brapman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Turner and Towns each have the low post all to themselves - and both can shoot the ball outside the paint. I think they'll be major factors, although I'm not 100% sure that Turner won't be brought around slowly. He was supposed to be raw coming out of college. It's just that he looked great in SL - not raw at all.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#530 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Brapman wrote:On that awful team, Okafor might lead the league in scoring.

With Okafor's low post polish I see no reason why he shouldn't win it. I think SJ will get the starting job and have a great rookie year but I don't see him getting enough opportunity to win ROY with Okafor getting fed down low all day long. Okafor could average 16-20ppg his rookie simply because he plays for the 76ers.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#531 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/7/24/9030671/stanley-johnson-ranked-no-1-on-nba-com-rookie-ladder

It's good to see people coming around to SJ. He was so polarizing before the draft. How could anyone not like this guy?
Brapman
Starter

Post#533 » by Brapman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 pm

http://media.espn929.com/a/107685342/espn-com-s-david-thorpe-on-the-chris-vernon-show-7-24-15.htm

David Thorpe interview with Memphis station. Talks up Stanley Johnson as most impressive rookie in SL, thinks there's something interesting going on in Detroit with Drummond having a chance to be dominant. Also mentions KCP as a guy Pistons and he think are talented. Start listening around the 17 minute mark. He points out that SVG is a great coach for rookie wing men.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#534 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:42 am

Brapman wrote:http://media.espn929.com/a/107685342/espn-com-s-david-thorpe-on-the-chris-vernon-show-7-24-15.htm

David Thorpe interview with Memphis station. Talks up Stanley Johnson as most impressive rookie in SL, thinks there's something interesting going on in Detroit with Drummond having a chance to be dominant. Also mentions KCP as a guy Pistons and he think are talented. Start listening around the 17 minute mark. He points out that SVG is a great coach for rookie wing men.

found this quote interesting "just because you have great court vision doesn't mean your a NBA player". Of all the players i thought were day 1 ready. Russell was that player, however in SL he looked lost, but moreso was struggling with the offensive concepts and his tools. I thought that would have came naturally as he has such a feel for the game. Loved what he said about Johnson, and i totally agree. Scouting on teams and the film gone over make it way to hard for a rookie to make a impact
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#535 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:34 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxASb8KBVI[/youtube]
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#536 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:28 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddpnvGvlPA[/youtube]
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#537 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:32 am

Man if stan pans out, just holy hell is our team really really good. He looks so damn good.

Please don't be a mirage. Our core is so young, that if they they do turn out to be fantastic, we have 5 damn years before anyone even turns 30. That's just...I need to calm down, and you bastards need to stop posting videos that make me hyperventilate.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#538 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:29 am

zeebneeb wrote:Man if stan pans out, just holy hell is our team really really good. He looks so damn good.

Please don't be a mirage. Our core is so young, that if they they do turn out to be fantastic, we have 5 damn years before anyone even turns 30. That's just...I need to calm down, and you bastards need to stop posting videos that make me hyperventilate.

:lol: i know what you mean
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#539 » by tmorgan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:10 am

I'm looking forward to Stanimal's first celebration tech in the NBA. Intensity is a real thing. Andre shows it five minutes at a time, once every couple games. Stanley seems to show it 95% of the time he's on the court.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#540 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 am

IF he doesn't pan out it won't be because of:

Lack of work ethic
Lack of quality coaching
Lack of determination
Lack of heart
Lack of brains

Imma say he's gonna pan out!

Maybe not to the extent some people are dreaming about in this thread but the kid can play

Return to Detroit Pistons