Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Re: Van Gundy failed with Danny Green 

Post#61 » by bballnmike » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:28 am

vic wrote:
bballnmike wrote:
vic wrote:Danny Green made his own choice. He could have been using Detroit to set his market for all we know. He was unrestricted, so he can do whatever he wants.

SVG's failure was trying to get him in the first place. i would have went Al Farouq Aminu, Tobias Harris, Gerald Green as a last option.
Wasting time on people that don't want you is a failure.

They reportedly had a phone call, so how much time did he really waste?

great... well then it wasn't a failure, just putting out feelers.

But in the meantime Aminu was signed... (young, defensively awesome, had a couple of breakout playoff games where he hit a pretty good 3pt percentage, nice forward to bring off the bench once SJ becomes the starter... he got signed to somebody else for only 7 or so million. Aminu played for Rick Carlisle, who doesn't have a lot of patience with young players.
When you see somebody like that have a few breakout games in the playoffs you gotta pay attention.

Why offer Demarre Carroll 15 million when Aminu might be the next Demarre Carroll and you can pay him 7.5M?

But overall I'm pleased with SVG I just don't think free agency is his thing. He's much better at coaching, drafting and trading... which are better ways to build a team anyway.

Agree I would've liked to see more interest in Aminu. And yeah those are better ways especially if you're Detroit
Hotmayo
Bench Warmer
And1: 319

Post#62 » by Hotmayo » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:28 am

The_Irony wrote:Giving Green 13 mill would have been a complete embarrassment.

So far STan and Jeff have made me happy by not giving role players, or players closer to decline than incline money they dont deserve simply cause of a cap rise

yes.

Also, you have to set the bar for your team as well. If you pay green 13+, then jackson and drummond will demand 20++. It will cripple the franchise.
Hotmayo is an animal

Reggie Jackson Blows
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#63 » by vic » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:29 am

now here's the real test. Is he going to let Draymond Green play him and waste 3 days seting his market for him or is he going to go for Tobias Harris who is a more realistic target?
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#64 » by russkopp » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:31 am

vic wrote:now here's the real test. Is he going to let Draymond Green play him and waste 3 days seting his market for him or is he going to go for Tobias Harris who is a more realistic target?

Exactly. Green makes most sense but GSW matches anything so man up and dump money at Tobias' feet. If we make Draymond an offer, I'll actually start to worry about SVG the GM especially after our draft.
Fire Troy Weaver
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#65 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:33 am

Sounds like milsap agreed to terms with the hawks. I assume that means Orlando will probably match Harris now?
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#66 » by coordinator0 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:36 am

Aminu agreed to a deal minutes after free agency started. Not a whole lot of "meantime" involved there.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#67 » by Liqourish » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:01 am

zeebneeb wrote:Sounds like milsap agreed to terms with the hawks. I assume that means Orlando will probably match Harris now?

Won't know until it happens.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,779

Post#68 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:10 am

Whether they will or not its moot.

Its worth the risk now.
E-Z
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#69 » by E-Z » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:35 am

Why does it have to be SVG's fault? I don't understand. Getting a deal done is a two way street here. I can think of a lot of reasons why Green should stay with the Spurs.
Sheedpocalypse
Junior
And1: 157

Post#70 » by Sheedpocalypse » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:35 am

Being a Pistons fan in the first days of free agency, seeing all those teams getting their guys, time and time again:

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/matthew-stafford-throwing-cup-and-rolling-eyes-during-bucs.gif?w=500

It is what it is haha. To be honest, I'd love to have Draymond or Harris (not confident we will even get a sniff at him, but hey), but I've given up on all these crazy ideas about the Pistons and free agency. I guess it pays off more to build our own nucleus and add some good pieces and veterans, and maybe make a 'splash' when we had a couple of playoff runs. I never want to go through something like the 2013 off-season and following crushed expectations.
Detroit vs Everybody by way of Belgium.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#71 » by ImHeisenberg » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:54 pm

Han Solo wrote:We offered him 11 a year.. I read it somewhere.. I would say that's a failure and not knowing your market..

Sounded like we actually had a meeting with him and blew it. I've been supportive of Van Gundy (even on draft night).. This was an error by him, can't spin it any other way.

Or, maybe Danny wanted to stay with a contender? Where he already owns a home and does not want to play small forward? DERP. Dumb thread.
geokot
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#72 » by geokot » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:20 pm

I am glad Green didn't sign with us.He is used to be the 4th option in Spurs.Teams used to focus their defensive plan on Parker,Duncan and Ginobili and i don't think he can be effective in an upgraded role.For example,i don't think his stats were improved even a little bit when Duncan and/or Parker were injured,why then should he contribute more to us?
Navas
Pro Prospect
And1: 224

Post#73 » by Navas » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:08 pm

I wonder how many people just want the Pistons to sign someone just so we can have the shiny factor.
'Yes, man is mortal, but that would be only half the trouble. The worst of it is that he's sometimes unexpectedly mortal - there's the trick!'
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#74 » by MrBigShot » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:36 pm

A quality back up center like Ajinca or Wright certainly doesn't have that shiny factor, but we had absolutely no news of an offer or even interest in them. It's not just the shiny factor, thus far we've struck out on the high impact starting quality FAs and the bench rotation players that could've potentially helped us.

It can still be salvaged because there are still some high quality bench guys but SVG has to go get them. If I didn't know any better I'd venture a guess that SVG's secret meeting was with a vending machine to bring a bag of chips in to play starting small forward. The lack of news of an offer right now and the news that we haven't even gotten the chance to meet with some FAs before they've accepted an offer is more disappointing than the results.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
313 Professor
Starter
And1: 963

Post#75 » by 313 Professor » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:49 pm

MrBigShot wrote:A quality back up center like Ajinca or Wright certainly doesn't have that shiny factor, but we had absolutely no news of an offer or even interest in them. It's not just the shiny factor, thus far we've struck out on the high impact starting quality FAs and the bench rotation players that could've potentially helped us.

It can still be salvaged because there are still some high quality bench guys but SVG has to go get them. If I didn't know any better I'd venture a guess that SVG's secret meeting was with a vending machine to bring a back of chips in to play starting small forward. The lack of news of an offer right now and the news that we haven't even gotten the chance to meet with some FAs before they've accepted an offer is more disappointing than the results.

Yea, I agree. I haven't even heard us connected to anybody. It's like we have a big display in the lobby holding out cash and players are just walking by us because they don't like us. They don't even want our money. :( The silence could be a good thing though maybe a blockbuster move in the works. Or maybe the less is more approach will work we do have some good pieces
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Van Gundy failed with Danny Green 

Post#76 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:58 pm

Unless you can get Harris for Jennings and a top 20 protected first in a S&T, I say we should just strike out gracefully. No need to throw huge money just for the hell of it

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#77 » by russkopp » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:00 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Unless you can get Harris for Jennings and a top 20 protected first in a S&T, I say we should just strike out gracefully. No need to throw huge money just for the hell of it

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I agree. Exactly.
This is really the only option left besides a backup C and backup SF if(when) Cartier and Quincy don't pan out.
Save the cap space for a trade when(if) Jennings looks good enough to trade.
Fire Troy Weaver

Return to Detroit Pistons