ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Aron Baynes - 20M over three years

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Re: Pistons sign Aron Baynes - 20M over three years 

Post#241 » by tmorgan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:45 am

Isn't RJ the only guy on the entire roster making 8 figures this year? We have a few guys in the 7-8 million range (Jennings, Baynes, Ilyasova), guys on rookie deals (KCP, Stanimal, Dre, Dinwiddie, Hilliard), and guys making under 7 million, some a lot under (Meeks, Morris, Tolliver, Anthony, Blake, Martin, Thomas, Bullock, Granger).

We definitely have depth, because we have no cap eaters (RJ is close) on the whole roster. Things need to develop soon, though, because Dre is about to cover 20-25% of the cap himself.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#242 » by Darko Miliminutes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:45 pm

Read the first few pages of this, and was stunned by how many disagree with this signing.

Screw decent, screw good. This is an excellent signing!
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#243 » by joedumars1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Darko Miliminutes wrote:Read the first few pages of this, and was stunned by how many disagree with this signing.

You see the reaction to the SJ drafting :lol:
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#244 » by Warspite » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:24 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:I think there are two distinct groups of people. The ones who understand that the cap is about the sky rocket, and $7 million per season for a quality backup center is reasonable price. And, those who aren't mathematically adept enough to comprehend this fact. When the cap is $108 million, paying Baynes $7 million, is about the equivalent of paying a backup C about $3.5 million two years ago.

For comparison- Omer Asik was a backup center for the Bulls who never played big minutes prior to getting a hefty raise from the Rockets. In fact, Asik was making more on that contract than Baynes will in Detroit, which was prior to the cap explosion, so when you factor in cap inflation, was substantially more "risky". Especially considering the poison pill third season on that deal.

Obviously, Asik worked out well. He's not a star, but he's a starting level center on a playoff team. People called that contract outrageous as well.

I think there is just too many people who don't understand economics or auction style bidding. The same posters to bemoan Baynes contract would also bemoan if SVG didn't sign anyone. Baynes was offered MLE money by a dozen teams. He was then offered more than MLE by a half dozen teams and so SVG had to make a call. Do you want to be the highest bidder or go for plan B? He and Gores stepped up and they made the offer and won the auction. If a Florida team offers 6mil the Pistons have to offer 7 mil just to be on the same playing field because of taxes. Add in the lifestyle and sometimes the Pistons are going to have to pay a bit more.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#245 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:33 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
Darko Miliminutes wrote:Read the first few pages of this, and was stunned by how many disagree with this signing.

That was hilarious. He's almost universally loved on here now, but people were losing their minds on draft night for SVG not taking a 6'4 SMALL forward. (emphasis on small)
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#246 » by hoophabit » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:10 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:

That was hilarious. He's almost universally loved on here now, but people were losing their minds on draft night for SVG not taking a 6'4 SMALL forward. (emphasis on small)

At this point it's funny, but then it was also understandable. Winslow, who remains a fine prospect in my view, was benefiting from 'last impressions' from the tournament. Most pundits were naming him the better prospect, and some were declaring the Pistons selecting SJ a major mistake. I was on board with SJ since before the draft, but never imagined he'd look as promising as he has through this summer.

If Baynes' ankle is 100% he'll prove a good signing IMO. A very solid role playing big who fits the needs of the team.
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#247 » by Joe Berry » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:47 pm

What i don't understand is the player option for year 3. That always seems like it doesn't benefit the team at all. If he plays well he opts out, if he plays **** he opts in. 6-7 mil for a rotation C isn't that much anymore i get it - and i am excited to see what he can do as a backup C but if you are convinced this is the guy why not lock him up for more than 2 years?
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#248 » by Darko Miliminutes » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Joe Berry wrote:What i don't understand is the player option for year 3. That always seems like it doesn't benefit the team at all. If he plays well he opts out, if he plays **** he opts in. 6-7 mil for a rotation C isn't that much anymore i get it - and i am excited to see what he can do as a backup C but if you are convinced this is the guy why not lock him up for more than 2 years?

It is incentive to both sign the deal, and play well.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#249 » by DTP » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:13 am

I really like the signing as I think Baynes is a very good backup center. As with Meeks, to get talent to come to Detroit you're going to have to overpay. It's something we just have to get used to and honestly. Baynes looks to be very athletic, mobile, and decent skill offensively and what I really like is he'll be one of our best free throw shooters. Definitely a nice piece to have behind Drummond.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#250 » by Brapman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:33 am

Baynes now gives the Pistons a full-compliment of rotation quality smashmouth big men. Every big man the Pistons added this season are very physical players. Baynes, Stanley, Morris, Ilyasova, added to Drummond, Tolliver and Jo-El - the Pistons bring one of the deepest strong physical frontlines in the NBA. We're also more athletic there.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#251 » by zeebneeb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Brapman wrote:Baynes now gives the Pistons a full-compliment of rotation quality smashmouth big men. Every big man the Pistons added this season are very physical players. Baynes, Stanley, Morris, Ilyasova, added to Drummond, Tolliver and Jo-El - the Pistons bring one of the deepest strong physical frontlines in the NBA. We're also more athletic there.
This guy gets it. I love this signing.

Best part for me is that he can play PF alongside drummond as he can step out consistently and hit the 18 footer, stretching the floor. I honestly think Baynes could start with Drummond and it would be a great fit.

First sub would be Illyasova for Baynes, then Stanley for Drummond, sliding Morris to the 4, and Illyasova to the 5 to end quarters.

Baynes gives us the ability to really mix and match, confusing teams with match ups that they have to react to. This is a very underrated part of basketball. It puts opposing coaches on thier heels.
Brapman
Starter

Post#252 » by Brapman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:44 pm

It also allows the coach to substitute for players who just aren't giving energy. Every guy on this team knows that a sub is on the bench who wants his minutes and who'll get them if they are having a low energy or ineffective game.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#253 » by zeebneeb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Brapman wrote:It also allows the coach to substitute for players who just aren't giving energy. Every guy on this team knows that a sub is on the bench who wants his minutes and who'll get them if they are having a low energy or ineffective game.
Exactly. This team has alot of options. I just hope Jennings is ready to go by opening night. That combo of him and Jackson is going to be deadly as hell and I can't believe no one is talking about it. Could absolutely be the best rotation in the league.

Hope he comes back healthy.
Brapman
Starter

Post#254 » by Brapman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm not sure about Jackson and Jennings as a combination. I think they're both high usage PGs, and I don't know if they can be effective without the ball in their hands much of the time. That's not me saying they can't play together, just that I'm unsure of that. Also, I'm not sure how they could defend well enough.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#255 » by zeebneeb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Brapman wrote:I'm not sure about Jackson and Jennings as a combination. I think they're both high usage PGs, and I don't know if they can be effective without the ball in their hands much of the time. That's not me saying they can't play together, just that I'm unsure of that. Also, I'm not sure how they could defend well enough.
Not at the same time. I'm sorry if my wording was confusing. I meant as reggie the starter, and Jennings coming off the bench.

I never liked the idea of both playing at the same time.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#256 » by Snakebites » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Ouch. According to ESPN, we just gave 20 million to a player who doesn't even crack the top 300 Nba players.

ESPN has always been unkind....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13710146/nba-nbarank-players-ranked-nos-301-400
Brapman
Starter

Post#257 » by Brapman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:14 pm

ESPN rankings for young or inexperienced pros is never of any particular use.
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#258 » by bballnmike » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Brapman wrote:ESPN rankings for young or inexperienced pros is never of any particular use.

Fixed
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#259 » by The_Irony » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Snakebites wrote:Ouch. According to ESPN, we just gave 20 million to a player who doesn't even crack the top 300 Nba players.

ESPN has always been unkind....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13710146/nba-nbarank-players-ranked-nos-301-400

SVG already said on the Lowe podcast that signing a player based off perception is mindless.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#260 » by Cowology » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:28 am

Meh, value is not universal. Baynes is worth more to us than a lot of other teams... hence us signing him for more than other people were willing to pay him. But the exact same thing is true of every non-max FA. Even amongst the max FA not every team is willing to throw that money at em. Baynes can be the 500th worst NBA player, and that still wouldn't diminish his value to this particular team. And what else really matters?

Return to Detroit Pistons