ImageImageImage

Stanley johnson & KCP

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

aad
Starter
And1: 466

Stanley johnson & KCP 

Post#1 » by aad » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Am I the only one excited to see them on the court together I think they can be our new Grant hill and Stackhouse that defense is gonna be scary with them two and drummond on the court together plus stanley offense and jumpshot is underrated
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Re: Stanley johnson & KCP 

Post#2 » by joedumars1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:09 am

No you're not. I'll be very excited when/if Dre takes that next step on D. That will be a scary team. RJ has all the attributes to become a very solid Defender too.

Stack Defended?

I'm just excited to see SJ in general.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#3 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am

I'm not about to compare them to Stack and Hill... but yeah, I'm extremely excited for them. They are both multi-skilled two-way players with high ceilings. Our season will depend on whether those two can be reliable starters this season. I am confident that both will pan out and be our starting wings for the foreseeable future. I'm even more excited for the Jackson/Dre combo. The season can't get here soon enough.
A-Wins
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#4 » by A-Wins » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:30 am

Not the most accurate comparison ever, but yes I am indeed excited. They both seem pretty similar and seem to have a great amount of upside.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:59 am

I was just thinking today. Imagine if we would have been able to actually get Draymond this offseason. We would have been a defensive force.

Jackson
KCP
Johnson
Draymond
Drummond

My God!!!
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#6 » by Cowology » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:28 am

Terrible comparison both in terms of style of play and ceiling. But yes, I am excited to watch these 2 guys develop together over the next few years. I especially like the ability to switch defensively. Being able to roll out different looks offensively is pretty nice too!
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:44 am

A-Wins wrote:Not the most accurate comparison ever, but yes I am indeed excited. They both seem pretty similar and seem to have a great amount of upside.

well to be fair Grant Hill was the next Jordan and SJ is the next lebron. So somewhat accruate :nod: :banghead: :nod: 8-) :lol:
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#8 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:46 am

RJ
KCP
SJ

or

SJ
KCP
Morris

SJ is going to go through a learning curve like all rookies do in terms of defense and the importance of technique. While SJ's is sound, i expect a adjustment period.
pistontr
Analyst
And1: 275

Post#9 » by pistontr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Grant Hill and Stackhouse? No, they are much like Quentin Richardson and C.J. Miles.
Sorry for my poor english
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#10 » by Billl » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm excited about the big athleticism upgrade. We've got a lot of very mobile guys with good size. If they learn to play together and trust each other, they have a very high defensive upside.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#11 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:36 pm

The more I read about Stanimal, I won't be shocked if he emerges the incumbent starter after training camp.

The perimeter defensive potential is phenomenal here. Hopefully it translates to the court.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: RE: Re: Stanley johnson & KCP 

Post#12 » by Pharaoh » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:17 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:The more I read about Stanimal, I won't be shocked if he emerges the incumbent starter after training camp.

And the true leader of this squad within 2 seasons.

Dre, SJ & RJ our big 3 - already you've got them pimping KCP as the Fourth Horseman.

Morris, Illy, Tolli the revolving door at PF...with Baynes ready to drop anyone that gets fiesty

IF Jennings will accept a 6th Man role we've got that covered too

Throw in a shooter like Meeks, vet big like Joel...

And then add SVG!

I'm not saying we've got it made but geez there's a lot to like about how our roster fits the system.

Give us Stanimal or give us death Stan!

Stanley Johnson - Change We Can Believe In
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#13 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:19 pm

Jennings will accept a 6th man role. I don't have much faith he will as good athletically as pre-injury.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#14 » by Laimbeer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:51 pm

I really think part of the reason we drafted Johnson and continue to play KCP a lot even when he struggles with his shot is DNA - Stan is hoping some of their approach rubs off, particularly on Dre.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#15 » by zeebneeb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I really think part of the reason we drafted Johnson and continue to play KCP a lot even when he struggles with his shot is DNA - Stan is hoping some of their approach rubs off, particularly on Dre.
Not just alot, Pope led the team in minutes. That's part of the reason I kinda shrug off any mention of Johnson taking any of Pope's minutes. If Van trusts Pope that much, he's not getting his time cut on the floor, he works to damn hard.

I am really excited to see the team play, but our defense is really a concern I have. Most of that last year stemmed from erratic rotations because of the logjam upfront, shipping off smith, injuries, trades, a horrific SF rotation, e.t.c

My main concern on defense is not at any position except PF. Erson is injury prone and while he is actually quite good on the pick and roll, is he going to be able to cover alot of the pf's in the league on a consistent basis?

Defense is only as good as your weakest link. I'm hoping the strength and versatility we possess at the other positions help cover the PF position.

Offensivly though no team can hope to effectively guard us now. It's gonna be fun to watch.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#16 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I really think part of the reason we drafted Johnson and continue to play KCP a lot even when he struggles with his shot is DNA - Stan is hoping some of their approach rubs off, particularly on Dre.
Not just alot, Pope led the team in minutes. That's part of the reason I kinda shrug off any mention of Johnson taking any of Pope's minutes. If Van trusts Pope that much, he's not getting his time cut on the floor, he works to damn hard.

I am really excited to see the team play, but our defense is really a concern I have. Most of that last year stemmed from erratic rotations because of the logjam upfront, shipping off smith, injuries, trades, a horrific SF rotation, e.t.c

My main concern on defense is not at any position except PF. Erson is injury prone and while he is actually quite good on the pick and roll, is he going to be able to cover alot of the pf's in the league on a consistent basis?

Defense is only as good as your weakest link. I'm hoping the strength and versatility we possess at the other positions help cover the PF position.

Offensivly though no team can hope to effectively guard us now. It's gonna be fun to watch.

i think defensively i worst player among starters is RJ. He needs to show more tenacity from the point of attack. O do think having solid wings helps promote that
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#17 » by Brapman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:00 pm

SVG wants Stanley to earn every minute he gets - and that's the smart approach. There's nothing wrong with starting with him sitting on the bench and rewarding him when he meets certain metrics in practice and in games that demonstrate he's improving - even though he's already at a nice level coming in as a rookie.

It will be smart to bring him along by presenting him with challenges to get a lot better. In the meantime, playing Morris creates great competition for Stanley AND accentuates Morris's trade value around the league for someday in the future.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#18 » by need4detroit » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 am

No one should be taking KCPs minutes and no one should be taking SJ's minutes. Its that simple. These guys are the future.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#19 » by Canadafan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:54 pm

I'd be happy with a split on minutes at SF between him and Morris. Hopefully he plays so well out the gate that he starts but if not Morris can warm that spot up for him for a bit. KCP needs to take a step up for us to get in the playoffs. I have no doubt he'll be ready

Return to Detroit Pistons