ImageImageImage

Trades by the deadline

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Pugz
Rookie
And1: 168

Re: Trades by the deadline 

Post#21 » by Pugz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:02 pm

what are the possible free agent signings in the offseason? we arent making a deal, especially if it's us passing off our expiring contracts. like someone said, drummond didn't sign so we had a chance to bring in more free agents. what this team absolutely needs is a go to scorer on the wing, and drummond down low.

drummond is coming along but he needs more time to be the guy we need him to be. hes come along a ton since just last year and should be ready by next year to really take off. gotta add that killer wing to pair with him now. it's clear kcp wont be that. sj is young. rj is a streaky scorer.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#22 » by DocRI » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Granted, all trades look more appealing after you lose to Brooklyn. But if shooting is our most glaring need (and I think it still is), how's this for one stop shopping with NOLA?

DET TRADES: Jennings, Ilyasova & KCP
NO TRADES: Eric Gordon & Ryan Anderson

Contract wise, everyone other than KCP is expiring, so our "promised free agent plans to Dre" remain unaffected; in fact, we cut a little extra salary by trading KCP.

Cost wise, it's KCP for two possible rentals ... but possible rentals of guys who could be possibly targets this offseason anyhow (and then we'd have their Bird Rights). From NOLA's perspective, getting KCP for two guys who may walk is pretty good return.

Fit wise, it's everything our lineup lacks — absolute knock down shooters and the 2 and 4. Move Stanley in at the 3 to help make up for the D lost by moving KCP and to start acclimatizing him with the starting lineup (particularly Dre & Reggie). Morris officially becomes the #1 option on the second unit (a role he's kinda already playing anyhow).

PG: Jackson / Dinwiddie / Blake
SG: Gordon / Meeks (eventually) / Hillard
SF: Johnson / Morris
PF: Anderson / Tolliver
C: Drummond / Baynes

To tell the truth, I'm not even sure I'm on board with this. But if offense is our problem, this trade would definitely address it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#23 » by theBigLip » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:15 pm

I think we will make a trade. SVG and the front office have proven to always be looking for any trade that can help us. Not always a big trade, though. I think we might overspend for a free agent in the offseason for some splash, but any trade we make before the deadline will likely be small.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#24 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Dec 1, 2015 12:24 am

I hope stan targets a stretch 4 that can play gritty defense.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#25 » by Kilo » Tue Dec 1, 2015 12:48 am

We have nothing available worth anything unless we are willing to trade our first rounder. And I think Stan waits to keep our first and add further talent via free-agency with the cap space rather than trading a pick for a player with a multi-year deal.

Ride out this year - try to develop Dre into a juggernaut, get Stanley Johnson's nba legs under him and get chemistry between KPC and Jackson in the back court. Hope Jennings comes back and is enough of a boost to get us the 8th seed.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#26 » by menten » Tue Dec 1, 2015 12:56 am

kurtis48239 wrote:I hope stan targets a stretch 4 that can play gritty defense.

who would that be? there are like 2 guys in the whole league that can shoot 3s AND play defense
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#27 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Dec 1, 2015 1:02 am

What a dumb foul..Hopefuly reggie will pass when he isnt getting into the lane or his shut isnt falling.
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#28 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Dec 1, 2015 1:05 am

menten wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:I hope stan targets a stretch 4 that can play gritty defense.

who would that be? there are like 2 guys in the whole league that can shoot 3s AND play defense

Dosent have to shoot the 3,as long as they can hit long 2s and play good defense,someone like taj.
bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#29 » by bkseven » Tue Dec 1, 2015 2:16 am

DocRI wrote:Granted, all trades look more appealing after you lose to Brooklyn. But if shooting is our most glaring need (and I think it still is), how's this for one stop shopping with NOLA?

Contract wise, everyone other than KCP is expiring, so our "promised free agent plans to Dre" remain unaffected; in fact, we cut a little extra salary by trading KCP.

Cost wise, it's KCP for two possible rentals ... but possible rentals of guys who could be possibly targets this offseason anyhow (and then we'd have their Bird Rights). From NOLA's perspective, getting KCP for two guys who may walk is pretty good return.

Fit wise, it's everything our lineup lacks — absolute knock down shooters and the 2 and 4. Move Stanley in at the 3 to help make up for the D lost by moving KCP and to start acclimatizing him with the starting lineup (particularly Dre & Reggie). Morris officially becomes the #1 option on the second unit (a role he's kinda already playing anyhow).

To tell the truth, I'm not even sure I'm on board with this. But if offense is our problem, this trade would definitely address it.

That's a terrible trade for us. We get two washed up players, while we giving up KCP. We better be getting their 1st round pick with very little protection.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#30 » by DocRI » Tue Dec 1, 2015 4:19 am

bkseven wrote:
DocRI wrote:Granted, all trades look more appealing after you lose to Brooklyn. But if shooting is our most glaring need (and I think it still is), how's this for one stop shopping with NOLA?

That's a terrible trade for us. We get two washed up players, while we giving up KCP. We better be getting their 1st round pick with very little protection.

While I'll grant that both are injury risks, you and I apparently have different definitions of "washed up." So far this year —

Gordon: 26 years old, 17.8 PPG, 3.0 APG, 2.4 RPG, 14.40 PER, .351 3P%
Anderson: 27 years old, 18.1 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 18.78 PER, .383 3P%

And with how the Pelicans' season is progressing, there's nothing on our roster that could net their 1st round pick with "very little protection" except for Drummond.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#31 » by Spider156 » Tue Dec 1, 2015 6:45 am

Pugz wrote:what are the possible free agent signings in the offseason? we arent making a deal, especially if it's us passing off our expiring contracts. like someone said, drummond didn't sign so we had a chance to bring in more free agents. what this team absolutely needs is a go to scorer on the wing, and drummond down low.

drummond is coming along but he needs more time to be the guy we need him to be. hes come along a ton since just last year and should be ready by next year to really take off. gotta add that killer wing to pair with him now. it's clear kcp wont be that. sj is young. rj is a streaky scorer.

Stanley Johnson needs an opportunity. He's been playing solid AF the last 5 games. One game here and there but his defense is consistent. I think he should start and we'll see another dynamic to our offense. But I don't think it'll happen until Jennings comes back to see if he plays better with Stanley or Morris. If it's not going well, gotta make a trade by the deadline.
Defense wins championships
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#32 » by Piston Pete » Tue Dec 1, 2015 4:28 pm

Not a trade.....but why don't we look into signing Martell Webster and dropping Hilliard?

Jackson / Blake / Dinwiddie / (Jennings)
KCP / Webster / Bullock
Morris / Johnson / Webster
Ersan / Toliver / Morris
Drummond / Baynes
Kilo
RealGM

Post#33 » by Kilo » Tue Dec 1, 2015 4:32 pm

^Martell Webster is done for the season.
Weaver = Hinkie
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#34 » by Southern Piston » Tue Dec 1, 2015 7:14 pm

I definitely think SVG would pull a trigger on a trade for a player that is championship team long rotation worthy, if there contract is good and extends nearly as long as his. The more Morris type deals we have the more we can invest in a free agent, KCP, DRummond, and eventually Johnson. If JEnnings came back, and Ersan maybe add Horford, fill the rest with vet min, 2nd rd picks, and top tier D leaguers. 2 yrs away, right about the time the best now will be coming down.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#35 » by DetroitSho » Tue Dec 1, 2015 10:14 pm

Kilo wrote:^Martell Webster is done for the season.

But of course once he was released you had to expect the proverbial "X player was just released, let's sign him" post about him.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#36 » by Kilo » Mon Dec 7, 2015 12:54 pm

Looks like it's now or never for Markieff. I don't know what it would cost - probably Ersan and a protected pick. I wouldn't do it. I like Marcus by himself - let him become his own man. Only reason I'd still be tempted is the steal of the contract - 8M/season over the next three years after this one.

Kieff probably goes to Houston as that move makes some sense - probably for Terrence Jones and a pick.
Weaver = Hinkie
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#37 » by Joe Berry » Mon Dec 7, 2015 1:25 pm

Houstons makes more sense and they have some assets to trade. I am not really sure Markieff would be a good fit here, we don't really need a high shots volume/usage and low efficiency guy at PF (uhm like you know who.) Unlike his brother he is not very versatile and purely a PF and a low percentage 3pt shooter. No, thanks. Time to upgrade at PF will be the offseason i believe, i am sure SVG already talked to Ryan Anderson. :wink:
Pistons need more help in the backcourt, a SG who can actually shoot woudln't hurt next to a healthy Jennings ofc.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#38 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Dec 7, 2015 3:40 pm

bkseven wrote:
Southern Piston wrote:I think in the new Nba economy u can pay 10m for your 6th man. Cuban talking about having 3 guys possibly making 30m, to compete with that we need 10m dollar 6th men.

I think we all know Cuban is willing to spend anything to get what he wants (i.e. Chandler Parsons). And sure, I'd be willing to spend 10 mill for a backup if my team's starters were legit NBA starters and my team is competing for a top seed. But this Pistons team lacks legit starters (at the SG, SF, and PF position IMO) and is not competing for a top seed in the east. And however accurate this is, Pistons already have the 8th largest payroll: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/.

paying him 10 million is only 2 million more than we are paying him right now, if he comes back health there is no why we shouldn't pay him for his production off the bench, and for us having the 8th highest payroll is because we are still paying for Josh Smith, take that contract off the books and we are down near the 20.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Dec 7, 2015 3:45 pm

so you are willing to give up our best wing defender for a guy that stays hurt and hasn't been anything since he was on the clippers? if we did it this way hillard would be are starter for half the year and johnson probably wouldnt leave the floor.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Dec 7, 2015 3:57 pm

look there are only two locks for people that need to go, and that Aaron Baynes and Jodie Meeks, they are tying up cap space and aren't worth the contracts that they are on. i say trade both for nothing if you can, pick up a big in the draft. finally decided this year between morris and illyasova. if we free up the cap space we would have room for all-star and good role player. but a upgrade needs to be made to starting PF, which puts them in the same spot as coming in for back up Pf and Sf minutes.

Return to Detroit Pistons