DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Re: Jon Leuer Signs: 4 years, $41 million 

Post#221 » by DetroitSho » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:23 pm

Exit 9 wrote:
Todd3 wrote:
treefi wrote:
Really? You'd rather roll with Ellenson as our backup 15-20 minute PF instead of Jon Leuer while spending an extra $2.5 million dollars a year to upgrade Bullock to Gordon?

Eric Gordon is talented, yeah, and he's been a starter since pretty much day 1... but you may notice the last 7 years... a trend...

62 games played
56 games played
9 games played
42 games played
64 games played
61 games played
45 games played

I'd prefer Seth Curry over Eric Gordon. And we actually may be able to afford him on TOP of Ellenson, Ish.. He's definitely not getting $12.5 million/year lol

If we signed Gordon it wouldn't be to upgrade Bullock. He's better than our current starter. Sign Gordon, then use KCP in a trade for a PF like Taj perhaps. That's what I'd have done. Gordon/Taj > KCP/Leuer easily.

I'd be fine with Curry though if we can get him though.

Stop posting.

Best response ever lol. And very appropriate and par for the course.
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#222 » by Todd3 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:30 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Todd3 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Houston had a top defense last year. This season they had a top offense and barely made the playoffs.

Still need defense to win. I wasn't suggesting we should be modeling after HOU altogether, just talking strictly offense. They're a top offense with a top offensive coach and we were near the bottom in every category offensively, so we could learn a thing or two from them in that department.

Dantoni doesn't care about positions offensively. He just puts guys together who can shoot, dribble, and pass and let's them play basketball, which is what I wanted us to do on offense with Gordon, Valentine, possibly Curry still.

But you insinuate that be had a bottom offense. If we could improve our defense it could easily get us easy buckets on offense.

Yeah, but can't just rely on turnovers to score. Majority of the game is played in the halfcourt, so having a consistent halfcourt offense is more important, especially in the playoffs.

The best teams in the league this year only scored about 19-20 ppg in transition. Not going to win a lot relying on that for offense.
fpower
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#223 » by fpower » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:33 pm

DBC10 wrote: He's literally got glass knees.

That word doesn't mean what you think it does...unless he's got the worst doctor of all time. :lol:
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#224 » by The_Irony » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:35 pm

Todd3 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Todd3 wrote:
If we signed Gordon it wouldn't be to upgrade Bullock. He's better than our current starter. Sign Gordon, then use KCP in a trade for a PF like Taj perhaps. That's what I'd have done. Gordon/Taj > KCP/Leuer easily.

I'm convinced now that some of your posting is tongue in cheek. I mean c'mon man.

Leuer is a premiere 3 point shooting bigman, excellent rebounder, and can run the floor, good defensively and is athletic as hell. He fits SVG's system perfectly and is only 27 years old but you want 31 year old Taj Gibson who is a worse rebounder then Leuer and dosent even shoot three pointers is a worse free throw shooter, and would absolutely not fit better then Leuer in Stans system?

Really?

I mean I get your obsession with Gordon as when he's actually on the floor he's a good shooter (nevermind he is a terrible defender)but Gibson?

C'mon man.

No, I said I wanted Gordon over Leuer, and Gibson is just one of many possibilities that we could've then pursued to fill backup PF instead.

Leuer is not a premier 3pt shooting big (at least not yet). He's efficient, but he only avg 0.8 3FGAs for his career and the most he's avg in a season was 1.8 per game last year. By comparison, Ryan Anderson avg 38% on 5.4 3FGAs for his career. Gordon avg 38% on 5 3FGAs. Those are premier 3pt shooters. If we wanted to address shooting we needed to add high volume efficiency guys like that to make a real difference. A low volume shooter playing limited minutes like Leuer projects to just can't make that much of a difference in terms of spacing. He's just not going to play/shoot enough.

To be clear, I like Leuer as a player, and if the plan is to start him at PF and let him take 4-5 threes per game (and he can make em efficiently), then I'll really like this signing. But to me this seems more like another Bullock situation where Stan just isn't going to play him enough for his shooting to make a real difference.

Leuer will be shooting nearly the same amount so you're point on that is not relevant. You just want players youre familiar with and are "names" for some reason.What sense does paying 13.5m make to Gordon on this team?

You need to lay off the 2k man.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#225 » by theBigLip » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:46 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:Everyone at Macy's maxing out their credit card. Meanwhile SVG's strolling through the aisles of KMart being like "Look at all the stuff I can fit in this cart!"

I agree, but he is somehow also finding quality merchandise at KMart.
Todd3
Lead Assistant

Post#226 » by Todd3 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:48 pm

The_Irony wrote:
Todd3 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I'm convinced now that some of your posting is tongue in cheek. I mean c'mon man.

Leuer is a premiere 3 point shooting bigman, excellent rebounder, and can run the floor, good defensively and is athletic as hell. He fits SVG's system perfectly and is only 27 years old but you want 31 year old Taj Gibson who is a worse rebounder then Leuer and dosent even shoot three pointers is a worse free throw shooter, and would absolutely not fit better then Leuer in Stans system?

Really?

I mean I get your obsession with Gordon as when he's actually on the floor he's a good shooter (nevermind he is a terrible defender)but Gibson?

C'mon man.

No, I said I wanted Gordon over Leuer, and Gibson is just one of many possibilities that we could've then pursued to fill backup PF instead.

Leuer is not a premier 3pt shooting big (at least not yet). He's efficient, but he only avg 0.8 3FGAs for his career and the most he's avg in a season was 1.8 per game last year. By comparison, Ryan Anderson avg 38% on 5.4 3FGAs for his career. Gordon avg 38% on 5 3FGAs. Those are premier 3pt shooters. If we wanted to address shooting we needed to add high volume efficiency guys like that to make a real difference. A low volume shooter playing limited minutes like Leuer projects to just can't make that much of a difference in terms of spacing. He's just not going to play/shoot enough.

To be clear, I like Leuer as a player, and if the plan is to start him at PF and let him take 4-5 threes per game (and he can make em efficiently), then I'll really like this signing. But to me this seems more like another Bullock situation where Stan just isn't going to play him enough for his shooting to make a real difference.

Leuer will be shooting nearly the same amount so you're point on that is not relevant. You just want players youre familiar with and are "names" for some reason.What sense does paying 13.5m make to Gordon on this team?

You're clueless. How is Leuer going to be shooting the same amount as them if he's only playing limited minutes off the bench?

I don't play video games and your assumptions are ignorant.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#227 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:49 pm

Gordon cant even defend a pylon why do people want him.
Championships
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#228 » by DetroitSho » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:50 pm

The_Irony wrote:
Todd3 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I'm convinced now that some of your posting is tongue in cheek. I mean c'mon man.

Really?

C'mon man.

2K ain't the problem. It's the K2 that's causing the cognitive dissonance. THAT is what needs to be left alone.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#229 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:55 pm

What a Pelican fan said about Gordon:

Only problem is Eric's speed is gone and he offers less than zero versatility.

He gives you no rebounding, no assists, no defense, can play only SG but is undersized for even that position.

When he is feeling good and engaged, he can put the ball in the basket. No question. But he's truly a mental midget. Gets lost on defense, runs plays incorrectly and if things go wrong, he sulks and is out of the game.

I love Ryno as a person and when he is on he might as well be Larry Bird. He will win you games and lose you games. I just don't think Eric helps you win games.
Championships
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#230 » by coordinator0 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:55 pm

mattao313 wrote:Gordon cant even defend a pylon why do people want him.

Gordon and Jackson would be as bad of a defensive backcourt as, well, a Gordon and Harden defensive backcourt.
Todd3
Lead Assistant

Post#231 » by Todd3 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:00 pm

mattao313 wrote:Gordon cant even defend a pylon why do people want him.

KCP can't make an open jumpshot or dribble, why do people want him?

Depends what's more valuable and in today's game shooting/ball-handling is more important than individual defense.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#232 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:02 pm

KCP's offense is much better than Gordon's defense.
Championships
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#233 » by DETermination » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:04 pm

Id take Bullock over Gordon at least Bullock can defend
Detroit vs Everybody
afroxnas
Junior
And1: 167

Post#234 » by afroxnas » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:05 pm

Todd3 wrote:
afroxnas wrote:
Todd3 wrote:

I think that price for a guy like Gordon was prohibitive for us, especially since he has problems staying on the floor (requires a good backup).
And Taj fits worst with our roster than Leuer, for example it would be hard to play him with Dre.
Bottom line is that there was one guy in this FA class that would allow us to get to the top of the EC. He chose Boston instead. After that any improvement from FA would be marginal. As SVG said our growth will come from player development. Obviously he sees the potential for improvement including in shooting that he stated as his top priority (together with consistent defensive effort).
Curry if here would not be a rotation player most likely.

Taj would fit with Dre the same as Horford. He can PnP from mid-range too. Yes Leuer has more range, but he only takes like 2 threes per game, so it's not like he's going to be a major court spacer either. The biggest thing though is how many minutes is he going to play? Because if it's only 15 mpg like Tolliver, even if Gordon only played 60 games, if he's giving you 30+ mpg then you're actually getting a lot more from him per season than Leuer, and for only 3m/yr more. Plus Taj can play 25-30 mpg too and start, so I just think you'd get a lot more from them, both in production and minutes.

I agree that Gordon would be a valuable piece to help address our poor shooting. But are you really prepared to pay north of 13,5M a year for 4 years for him to pry him away from the no-state-income Hous? After paying Gordon you wouldn't have space to sign any decent PF. Tolly went for 8 a year for christ sakes...
On top of Gordon's price tag, if you trade KCP our best (perhaps only) perimeter defender to get a decent PF, you would be risking having to start Bullock or Hillard for 1/4 to half of the season.And that's assuming you would get a decent PF for a year rental of KCP. Because Chicago is not doing that for Taj, especially after losing bith Noah and Gasol.
So imo that was simply not worth the risk
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,777

Post#235 » by Snakebites » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:07 pm

This thread sucks and no longer has anything to do with the original topic.
BIG BEN'S FRO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#236 » by BIG BEN'S FRO » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:09 pm

treefi wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:what makes him an upgrade over Tolliver? They both can shoot and are a bit undersized at PF (Jon listed at only 228 lbs). I'm not saying he isnt, I just havent seen him outside of a few highlight clips.

Tolliver is 6'7" without shoes. Leuer is 6'10" without shoes. Leuer is a much better rebounder, slightly better defender, equal 3 point shooting ability but superior mid range with legit post game.

Treefi posted this. Actually I wasn't concerned until I saw this. Doesn't the stretch 4 spot up on the wings a majority of the time?
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#237 » by DETermination » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:11 pm

Yeah lets get this thread back on topic

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umhFTrTIaWE[/youtube]
Detroit vs Everybody
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,728

Post#238 » by zeebneeb » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:11 pm

Todd, you are DEAD WRONG about the Pistons offense. In the games Harris started (25 games) the Pistons starters were the third highest scoring starting 5 in the league.

Stats are right there for you to check out. Matter of fact, I'll provide the link;

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StarterBench=Starters&DateFrom=02%2F22%2F2016&DateTo=04%2F12%2F2016&sort=PTS&dir=1

So, I'll refresh for you;

Since Tobias Harris was inserted into the starting lineup on February 22nd 2016 and until the last game on April 12th 2016 The Detroit Pistons starters were the 3rd highest scoring starting group in the league.

The problem was with our bench.

the problem was with our bench.

Scoring was not an issue with the starting 5.

the Detroit Pistons starting 5 was elite offensively right there with golden state, OKC, and Cleveland.

The problem, *drumroll* was with the bench.

It has been solved. Hate KCP all you want, but he was a part of that starting 5.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#239 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:16 pm

BIG BEN'S FRO wrote:Treefi posted this. Actually I wasn't concerned until I saw this. Doesn't the stretch 4 spot up on the wings a majority of the time?

He shoots a lot of pick and pop 3's and mid range jumpers, he doesn't just camp on the perimeter.
Championships
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#240 » by The_Irony » Sun Jul 3, 2016 6:26 pm

Todd3 wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
Todd3 wrote:

You're clueless. How is Leuer going to be shooting the same amount as them if he's only playing limited minutes off the bench?

I don't play video games and your assumptions are ignorant.

Leuer will be shooting nearly the same amount as he did in phoenix. Not the same as Anderson :nonono:

Do you expect Leuer to play 30+ mins a game?

Return to Detroit Pistons