ImageImageImage

what is the goal for this season exactly?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: what is the goal for this season exactly? 

Post#21 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:29 pm

The Penguin wrote:But ultimately Stan has a boss and it seems Gores isn't content with a lottery team headed into the new building.

Gores influence is certainly a factor. But, it seemed to me, like Gores had a tremendous amount of respect for SVG's decision making and he could have made the case for tearing the team down a little for salary and long term success.

Assuming Reggie's knee is degenerative, which looks to be the case, keeping him here isn't any version of a best case scenario.
Dutch Michigan
Senior
And1: 116

Post#22 » by Dutch Michigan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:32 pm

I get why teams tank but personally, I really dislike the idea.

It should be punished. It's tough to prove though .........
Fetchez la vache !
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#23 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:34 pm

theBigLip wrote:3. Winning the playoff series - yes, we could beat Boston, Toronto or Washington. Certainly win some games.

- SG: Sign KCP, get a solid backup that can shoot 3s for 10-12 mpg and play D
- SF: Good
- PF: Good
- C: Watch Baynes leave, get ready for Boban!

The 6th seed is a possibility. If Washington holds the 3rd seed, I could see us taking a couple game or two. Toronto or Boston? We'd definitely be in sweep territory. We don't have anyone that could contain Thomas for Boston. Horford always destroys Dre with his long range game. For Toronto, Lowry and DeRozan just abuse this team, and Valancuinas usually puts up a career high in something against Drummond.

After re-signing KCP, we'll have the MLE to fill any holes. It's around $8 million this year, so it's one average level bench player or a couple of below average long shots. Not much to work with anymore.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#24 » by russkopp » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:44 pm

If I'm SVG, my goals for the season are as follows:
1) make the playoffs/get highest seed possible
2) win as many games (including playoffs) while keeping Reggie in the starting lineup with Ish as my "Reggie doesn't have it tonight" closer
3) hope Reggie has some good playoff games and trade him this offseason
Fire Troy Weaver
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#25 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
theBigLip wrote:3. Winning the playoff series - yes, we could beat Boston, Toronto or Washington. Certainly win some games.

The 6th seed is a possibility. If Washington holds the 3rd seed, I could see us taking a couple game or two. Toronto or Boston? We'd definitely be in sweep territory. We don't have anyone that could contain Thomas for Boston. Horford always destroys Dre with his long range game. For Toronto, Lowry and DeRozan just abuse this team, and Valancuinas usually puts up a career high in something against Drummond.

After re-signing KCP, we'll have the MLE to fill any holes. It's around $8 million this year, so it's one average level bench player or a couple of below average long shots. Not much to work with anymore.

Didn't we just beat Toronto? I think we have just as much a chance to beat them as much as a chance they have to sweep us. But I am an optimist :-)
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#26 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:41 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Didn't we just beat Toronto? I think we have just as much a chance to beat them as much as a chance they have to sweep us. But I am an optimist :-)

Yes, we did. We caught them when they were on a 8 or 9 game slide. They were beating themselves more than anything in that time. Also, they didn't have Serge Ibaka (who we don't have any answer for) and PJ Tucker, who they can sic on any perimeter wing we have that's getting hot, like KCP, Harris or Morris. They have the answers for us, not the other way around.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#27 » by LaSheed » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 pm

I think we can steal a game from Boston. Horford always struggles in the playoffs if he isnt injured.

Toronto is a scary team but they always struggle in the 1st round as well.

Washington could be a 6 game series if we are lucky.

But then again weve never won a playoff game with this team so im sure 2 seed isnt very scared of us.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#28 » by bstein14 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Original goal was the get the 4/5 seed and win a playoff series.... New goal to make the playoffs and win 2 or 3 games.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#29 » by mattao313 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 pm

The goal is to limp into the playoffs and get rekt.
Championships
Natopher
Veteran
And1: 802

Post#30 » by Natopher » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Get money get paid.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#31 » by Manocad » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:39 am

Kind of a pointless question. The goal for any team that feels it can make the playoffs is of course to win a championship. Teams with obviously no chance want to work on getting better. And for all the teams on the fringe, you don't know what the goal is. Only the team ownership/management knows what the goal is. You as a fan only know what YOU want the goal to be.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#32 » by The Penguin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:56 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:

I think the MLE will come back around to being valuable, what we saw last summer and probably the next few is a blip on the radar, but teams will spend and get back to the environment where you don't have 20 teams sitting on cap space. The real value in the MLE comes from teams like Cleveland and Golden State (like they need help) who can sign a guy who likely could command almost double from a team with cap space but wants to win the ring. However, more often than not a team stuck in the middle like we are will make bad signings using the MLE.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#33 » by The Penguin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Manocad wrote:Kind of a pointless question. The goal for any team that feels it can make the playoffs is of course to win a championship. Teams with obviously no chance want to work on getting better. And for all the teams on the fringe, you don't know what the goal is. Only the team ownership/management knows what the goal is. You as a fan only know what YOU want the goal to be.

I agree completely with you. Diehard fans tend to think in polar opposites, especially when it comes to the NBA. But I do think more franchises than fans would like to believe are perfectly content putting an entertaining product on the floor, selling their fair share of tickets, making a round or two cameo in the playoffs and getting just enough "feel good" to keep the positive vibes flowing.

Teams know it's a 2 horse race this year that may open up if a major injury hits, but you can't plan on injury. It's why Boston didn't push their chips to the middle on Butler or George. The majority of these GMs (especially the Ivy league stat heads) are risk adverse to a fault, they aren't going to push in unless it's nearly a sure thing.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#34 » by chrbal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm

At this point, its basically get Reggie Jackson to get his groove back.

We're a mess, it doesn't make sense, they'll be closer to me next year and I still may not go.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#35 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 pm

chrbal wrote:At this point, its basically get Reggie Jackson to get his groove back.

We're a mess, it doesn't make sense, they'll be closer to me next year and I still may not go.

I want him to groove somewhere else. On someone's bench, where he belongs.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#36 » by chrbal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 pm

I want value for him in a trade, doesn't mean its going to happen.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#37 » by Cowology » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 am

Up until this point I was still pushing for 6th/7th seed. I think I've turned the corner and don't wanna be locked into 8th. Bench Reggie to "rehab" his knee, run out King Jon & Stanley, put the ball in KCP's hands and then if we wind up losing to the Cavs at least we'll have gotten the young kids some burn.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#38 » by El Chivo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:16 am

Play the youth and hope it ends quick and painless
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
sinnombre2323
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#39 » by sinnombre2323 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Kill reggie jackson

Sent from my SM-J700M using RealGM mobile app
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Cowology wrote:Up until this point I was still pushing for 6th/7th seed. I think I've turned the corner and don't wanna be locked into 8th. Bench Reggie to "rehab" his knee, run out King Jon & Stanley, put the ball in KCP's hands and then if we wind up losing to the Cavs at least we'll have gotten the young kids some burn.

I don't think the Cavs are unbeatable this year . . .

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Detroit Pistons