ImageImageImage

Summer League 2022 - Make or break for Killian? Which Pistons should attend?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,970

Re: Summer League 2022 - Make or break for Killian? Which Pistons should attend? 

Post#41 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jul 1, 2022 5:34 pm

Everyone is going to play bare minimum 1 game, full minutes. They want to see what they got asap. It may turn into even more if they get into a groove, trust me.

Look at this like those team building trips for business types.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Re: Summer League 2022 - Make or break for Killian? Which Pistons should attend? 

Post#42 » by thesack12 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 5:35 pm

whitehops wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
whitehops wrote:yeah i'd be absolutely shocked if cade, stewart or bey actually played, i'm sure they're just going to be "cheerleaders" and bond with the guys.

saddiq bey already looked out of place (in a good way) last summer league and i'm sure he only went to test his new on-ball skills.

I'm surprised Bey and Stew are even on the roster.

Cade might play a little, maybe a game or two.

maybe there's a rule that players have to be on the roster to practice? i really don't know what any of the three players would get from playing in the actual games.

Cade just seems like one of them dudes that loves to ball, and is always looking to grow his game.

As for what there is to gain for Cade specifically, getting an early jump on chemistry building with Ivey would be a benefit.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#43 » by FloridaMan78 » Sun Jul 3, 2022 6:00 pm

Kyle Foster looks nice. We’ll see what he looks like against better competition.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#44 » by tmorgan » Sun Jul 3, 2022 10:00 pm

Just browsing the Pistons twitter feed…

Bey looks bigger/stronger.
Stewart looks leaner.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,132

Post#45 » by bstein14 » Mon Jul 4, 2022 7:40 pm

It'll be interesting to see who starts. Seems like we're wanting to get Cade/Bey/Stewart some chemistry built up with Ivey and Duren. I wonder if we'll just roll with those 5 as starters for game 1.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by FloridaMan78 » Mon Jul 4, 2022 7:53 pm

bstein14 wrote:It'll be interesting to see who starts. Seems like we're wanting to get Cade/Bey/Stewart some chemistry built up with Ivey and Duren. I wonder if we'll just roll with those 5 as starters for game 1.

Will the Duren trade go through in time?
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,570

Post#47 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jul 5, 2022 12:01 am

Don't think SL is make or break for Hayes or anyone.

Despite the offensive struggles Hayes can pass and plays D at a pretty good level for a "bust".

Fact he could play alongside Cade or Ivey or both in 3 guard line ups is a good thing as he'd take the tougher assignment on D

That said I'm hopeful he's worked on his all around offensive skills cause long term he's going to need to be able to make shots off the bounce and catch and shoot 3s especially.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,218

Post#48 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jul 5, 2022 12:23 am

Time will tell who ends up being the better player but Ivey absolutely blows Murray out of the water in terms of potential.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
grpistons
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#49 » by grpistons » Tue Jul 5, 2022 1:07 am

FloridaMan78 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:It'll be interesting to see who starts. Seems like we're wanting to get Cade/Bey/Stewart some chemistry built up with Ivey and Duren. I wonder if we'll just roll with those 5 as starters for game 1.

I think so. We don't play until the 7th right?
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by FloridaMan78 » Tue Jul 5, 2022 2:32 am

grpistons wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:

I think so. We don't play until the 7th right?

Trade won’t go through until the 6th when the moratorium is over, so he can’t practice with them either. I guess one day of practice might be enough. We’ll see.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#51 » by El Chivo » Tue Jul 5, 2022 8:21 am

Procida posted an instagram story from LV.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,375

Post#52 » by Spider156 » Tue Jul 5, 2022 4:07 pm

Love the lineup for summer league. Everyone should play first game and one other game down the line whether second or third doesn’t matter. The truth is we don’t need to see the other young guys that we don’t have on our roster. I mean we have Duren who is 18 and you want another 18 year old? These guys need to play every game in my opinion to gain chemistry, work on anything they want to. I’m sure I’m one of the minority that feels Summer League is important for winning but I really believe having our own championship tournament and going for it all these next few games can give us momentum into next season. If these kids are truly rookies and are going to lose out another season, they don’t deserve to sit out of summer league.
Defense wins championships
Matt725
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#53 » by Matt725 » Tue Jul 5, 2022 8:08 pm

Spider156 wrote:Love the lineup for summer league. Everyone should play first game and one other game down the line whether second or third doesn’t matter. The truth is we don’t need to see the other young guys that we don’t have on our roster. I mean we have Duren who is 18 and you want another 18 year old? These guys need to play every game in my opinion to gain chemistry, work on anything they want to. I’m sure I’m one of the minority that feels Summer League is important for winning but I really believe having our own championship tournament and going for it all these next few games can give us momentum into next season. If these kids are truly rookies and are going to lose out another season, they don’t deserve to sit out of summer league.

I was just talking about this with my cousin. He brought up injury, but .... players play. Now, if a team is up 32 with 2 minutes left, take Rip Hamilton out John Krueger (moron), but a couple of games would be smart. It's free time. Experiment, since these games don't "count". But they do count. I've seen guys have good Summer Leagues, and it gives them confidence. Christian Wood, for example. And others. Regardless of their stats, I can get a good idea of who we're getting that one might not be able to get from watching NCAA.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,375

Post#54 » by Spider156 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:46 am

Matt725 wrote:
Spider156 wrote:Love the lineup for summer league. Everyone should play first game and one other game down the line whether second or third doesn’t matter. The truth is we don’t need to see the other young guys that we don’t have on our roster. I mean we have Duren who is 18 and you want another 18 year old? These guys need to play every game in my opinion to gain chemistry, work on anything they want to. I’m sure I’m one of the minority that feels Summer League is important for winning but I really believe having our own championship tournament and going for it all these next few games can give us momentum into next season. If these kids are truly rookies and are going to lose out another season, they don’t deserve to sit out of summer league.

I was just talking about this with my cousin. He brought up injury, but .... players play. Now, if a team is up 32 with 2 minutes left, take Rip Hamilton out John Krueger (moron), but a couple of games would be smart. It's free time. Experiment, since these games don't "count". But they do count. I've seen guys have good Summer Leagues, and it gives them confidence. Christian Wood, for example. And others. Regardless of their stats, I can get a good idea of who we're getting that one might not be able to get from watching NCAA.

What I would do is start Cade first game and sit him out second game and let Ivey handle the point guard duties. I actually think Bey doesn’t need this summer league but he’s only had one Casey said so it’s important for development. I want Stewart to take 6 3’s a game. I want Killian to take it inside every time, never settle for a 3 unless he’s passed to as a catch and shoot. I want Duren to play every game with Ivey to get their chemistry going because Ivey might come off the bench starting the season. Burke is a veteran on a contract year, there’s no way he’s just going to allow Ivey to start at shooting guard. Expect Burke to start and play a lot, he’s a very good player. But Ivey will get his minutes nonetheless I’m sure at least 30 a night. As for Livers I’d like to see him be aggressive going inside because I believe he’s the best shooter on our team next to Bey.
Defense wins championships
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 305

Post#55 » by breezypeezy » Wed Jul 6, 2022 6:42 am

Chet
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,046

Post#56 » by JLiv » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:10 pm

If you guys trust Ashton (Cade’s trainer), Cade’s not participating in any games.

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=ed4H3mxc_QvoojkqZe12Dg
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#57 » by rmfc » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:28 pm

JLiv wrote:If you guys trust Ashton (Cade’s trainer), Cade’s not participating in any games.

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=ed4H3mxc_QvoojkqZe12Dg

Good. No need for Cade to even step on the court in the summer league.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#58 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:41 pm

https://theathletic.com/3401065/2022/07/06/pistons-mailbag-will-cade-cunningham-actually-play-at-summer-league/

What does Killian have to show this year and how long do you think his leash is? — @KornKat2020

Hayes, who was the No. 7 pick in 2020, is the interesting one of the third-year players at Summer League. I get the sense he’ll play a decent amount of games, if not all of them.

My assumption is that he’ll be watched closest by the Pistons’ front office and coaching staff. The 20-year-old has to dominate, or come close to it, in order for Detroit to feel more at ease with him going forward. It’s been a bumpy two seasons for Hayes because of numerous injuries, a struggling jump shot and difficulties finishing around the rim. The organization surely wants to see him run the offense without hiccups, have the “I’m too good for this” aggressiveness and show improvements with his jumper.

Hayes has already shown to be a very good passer and on-ball defender. He might be the Pistons’ best player at those two things. However, in today’s NBA, is that enough for an organization to invest in a player long-term? Hayes’ development as a scorer will not only dictate his future in Detroit, but his future in the NBA, too.

The good thing for Hayes is that he’s still very young, does some things well and the Pistons aren’t in a rush right now. With that said, though, improvements do need to be made.
Adg1987
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#59 » by Adg1987 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 2:42 pm

I saw Pistons fans trashing Keegan Murray on twitter last night. pretty sad praying for a kids downfall because you want your team to seem smart for making a pick.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by FloridaMan78 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 3:16 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:https://theathletic.com/3401065/2022/07/06/pistons-mailbag-will-cade-cunningham-actually-play-at-summer-league/

What does Killian have to show this year and how long do you think his leash is? — @KornKat2020

Hayes, who was the No. 7 pick in 2020, is the interesting one of the third-year players at Summer League. I get the sense he’ll play a decent amount of games, if not all of them.

My assumption is that he’ll be watched closest by the Pistons’ front office and coaching staff. The 20-year-old has to dominate, or come close to it, in order for Detroit to feel more at ease with him going forward. It’s been a bumpy two seasons for Hayes because of numerous injuries, a struggling jump shot and difficulties finishing around the rim. The organization surely wants to see him run the offense without hiccups, have the “I’m too good for this” aggressiveness and show improvements with his jumper.

Hayes has already shown to be a very good passer and on-ball defender. He might be the Pistons’ best player at those two things. However, in today’s NBA, is that enough for an organization to invest in a player long-term? Hayes’ development as a scorer will not only dictate his future in Detroit, but his future in the NBA, too.

The good thing for Hayes is that he’s still very young, does some things well and the Pistons aren’t in a rush right now. With that said, though, improvements do need to be made.

Yea watching some streams with some of the beat writers and it seems like they know something.

I’m sure they pick up his 7.5 mil option in the beginning of the year. But his 22 mil cap hold is looming the following year.

His extension talks with his agent will be important. If his agent views him as a starter at starter money I think he gets traded.

His cap hold wouldn’t be a big deal to teams over the cap. To us it would be if we can’t negotiate an extension.

Return to Detroit Pistons