Trade Ideas thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Re: Trade Ideas thread 

Post#2401 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:08 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Grant Williams has gone to a whole different team and sucked it up, and people are still carrying his water. It seems like for this fanbase our scrubs are the scum of the Earth but there's no better player than the other team's scrub. Weird.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

The guy isn’t a starter but is being played as one.

He’s touted as a three and d player but isn’t anything special at either of those things. Usable as a 8th or 9th man. Was out of Boston’s playoff rotation in some matchups. Got famously torched by Jimmy. The kind of guy you don’t mind having off the bench if he’s cheap.

Couldn’t have said it better.

Those are the type of players good organizations find/ develop cheap to fill that role and bad organizations overpay.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#2402 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:40 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Could we even get our first rounder back from NY for BB? If so clearly Weaver should get it back so we have flexibility to make a trade.

Burks and BB are just the most valuable vets on a 6 win team. Id like to actually see the real offers that have been made to us for them. I bet they’re quite alot lower then some think.

Future picks are pretty valuable- it’s 2024 picks that are devalued in the trade market right now.

No way we could get our pick back, even if (sadly) there’s a good chance we don’t make the playoffs in that time frame and it becomes seconds.

It’s a sellers market, so there is some leeway in that, but probably not enough.

I predicted last week that this deadline was going to be a dud- not just for us but for the league as a whole. So far I’ve read a lot that lends credibility to that idea.

"2024: 1-18 Own; 19-30 to NYK
2025:1-13 Own; 14-30 to NYK if not already settled
2026: 1-11 Own; 12-30 to NYK if not already settled
2027 : 1-9 Own; 10-30 to NYK if not already settled"

Thats the protections on the pick.

Honestly that trade was a really bad shortsighted move when you put into perspective. Like Stew is a solid player but a pick in that range always has a high probability of bricking out completely. Hell even higher lotto picks brick out all the time that was just pick 17 in what was considered not a strong class at the time.

Then you factor in the potential to kill your flexibility through 2027. Then in the end we very well might lose a higher pick then what we gave them in the first place at the same time as having no flexibility.

We keep hearing how the entire league wants Burks+BB the Knicks are like the exact team that is win now that would like to add these sort of guys. Yet they wont even do it because that pick heavily protected is still worth more then them.

Yeah i agree deadline will be dead. I'm just kinda trying to speak some action into existence.

Yup, and on top of all this Detroit ate Trevor Ariza's contract in that trade.

Still have no idea why Weaver felt the need to send out a pick, when he's the one absorbing salary. Crazy thing is, he's done that multiple times.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,489

Post#2403 » by Canadafan » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=-3u8HN78ec_Nf3zeipD2Ew&s=19
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#2404 » by BDM22 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:10 pm

thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Future picks are pretty valuable- it’s 2024 picks that are devalued in the trade market right now.

No way we could get our pick back, even if (sadly) there’s a good chance we don’t make the playoffs in that time frame and it becomes seconds.

It’s a sellers market, so there is some leeway in that, but probably not enough.

I predicted last week that this deadline was going to be a dud- not just for us but for the league as a whole. So far I’ve read a lot that lends credibility to that idea.

Honestly that trade was a really bad shortsighted move when you put into perspective. Like Stew is a solid player but a pick in that range always has a high probability of bricking out completely. Hell even higher lotto picks brick out all the time that was just pick 17 in what was considered not a strong class at the time.

Then you factor in the potential to kill your flexibility through 2027. Then in the end we very well might lose a higher pick then what we gave them in the first place at the same time as having no flexibility.

We keep hearing how the entire league wants Burks+BB the Knicks are like the exact team that is win now that would like to add these sort of guys. Yet they wont even do it because that pick heavily protected is still worth more then them.

Yeah i agree deadline will be dead. I'm just kinda trying to speak some action into existence.

Still have no idea why Weaver felt the need to send out a pick, when he's the one absorbing salary. Crazy thing is, he's done that multiple times.

I've heard this a lot but I'm curious if people would say this if Delon Wright was simply added to the deal and Ariza never theoretically went to Detroit for 3 days before getting flipped for Delon.

Certainly Houston is not giving us the 16th pick to take on the salary of a guy that can just easily be flipped for a useful player like Delon (who eventually netted us multiple 2nds himself). People always seem to get lost on the actual workings of that whole situation involving Wood, the picks being swapped, and the Ariza/Delon stuff.

Wood was leaving as a free agent. Casey didn't like him. That was its own thing. Weaver wanted to buy a 1st in 2020 for a future protected 1st and Houston was interested. Ariza got thrown in to facilitate both deals together and let Weaver flip him to OKC because Weaver wanted Delon Wright from Dallas and OKC wanted Ariza in a 3 team deal just after. Detroit didn't "eat" Ariza's contract. They didn't pay a dime to Ariza.

They wanted Delon and got him as if Houston threw him in with the Wood situation. Just made more a lot more complicated by the numerous deals and teams involved.

The absolutely only argument is if you think it was worth tying up the future 1st for Beef Stew, which is a fair debate.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,949

Post#2405 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:11 pm

thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

We weren’t getting an immediate first rounder by absorbing an expiring contract.

I’ve outlined why this trade didn’t work/was bad but the expectations are just silly. People also think we should have gotten Duren just for taking on one year salary.

I’ve never seen a team get a mid pick in the first round for taking on expiring contracts. It’s a wrong valuation.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#2406 » by DetroitSho » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:23 pm

Cognitive dissonance continues to be strong as the narratives grow on that 2020 draft day trade.

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 470

Post#2407 » by Crymson » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:57 pm

Until this season, I'd never thought that I would identify the 2020 draft as a major stumbling point in the rebuild. In the event, Weaver spent a bunch of assets and passed on a bunch of elite talent. The ultimate return on those assets (pick #7, Kennard and four second-round picks, and taking on a salary dump) is a bench big, the loss of a future first, the inability to trade firsts until 2029, and a major missed opportunity to actually jumpstart the rebuild.

Even the draft strategy on the night of sucked. Weaver had three first-round picks and came out with two safe-pick role players and three below-average NBA athletes.

Then there's what we've heard about Wiseman being #1 on his draft board. Oof.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Post#2408 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:59 pm

Crymson wrote:Until this season, I'd never thought that I would identify the 2020 draft as a major stumbling point in the rebuild. In the event, Weaver spent a bunch of assets and passed on a bunch of elite talent. The ultimate return on those assets (pick #7, Kennard and four second-round picks, and taking on a salary dump plus a first-round pick) is a bench big, the loss of a future first, the inability to trade firsts until 2029, and a major missed opportunity to actually jumpstart the rebuild.

If you just look past that, it’s all blue skies :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2409 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:07 pm

People talk a lot about Haliburton, not enough about Maxey, Quickley and Bane.

It was actually a fairly rich draft in terms of backcourt talent.

Stewart, Hayes, Saben and Bey were even marketed as a “core four” at one point.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2410 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:12 pm

Snakebites wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

We weren’t getting an immediate first rounder by absorbing an expiring contract.

I’ve outlined why this trade didn’t work/was bad but the expectations are just silly. People also think we should have gotten Duren just for taking on one year salary.

I’ve never seen a team get a mid pick in the first round for taking on expiring contracts. It’s a wrong valuation.

OKC has gotten picks for taking contracts several times. Al Horford and Kemba Walker immediately come to mind
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2411 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:17 pm

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

I've heard this a lot but I'm curious if people would say this if Delon Wright was simply added to the deal and Ariza never theoretically went to Detroit for 3 days before getting flipped for Delon.

Certainly Houston is not giving us the 16th pick to take on the salary of a guy that can just easily be flipped for a useful player like Delon (who eventually netted us multiple 2nds himself). People always seem to get lost on the actual workings of that whole situation involving Wood, the picks being swapped, and the Ariza/Delon stuff.

Wood was leaving as a free agent. Casey didn't like him. That was its own thing. Weaver wanted to buy a 1st in 2020 for a future protected 1st and Houston was interested. Ariza got thrown in to facilitate both deals together and let Weaver flip him to OKC because Weaver wanted Delon Wright from Dallas and OKC wanted Ariza in a 3 team deal just after. Detroit didn't "eat" Ariza's contract. They didn't pay a dime to Ariza.

They wanted Delon and got him as if Houston threw him in with the Wood situation. Just made more a lot more complicated by the numerous deals and teams involved.

The absolutely only argument is if you think it was worth tying up the future 1st for Beef Stew, which is a fair debate.

So you are saying that Delon Wright was some kind of prize? Was he worth eating his contract?

I'm under the idea that getting Wright was more of a familiarity with Casey type of thing, moreso than Wright being a valuable asset. Wright was flipped to Sacramento midseason for Cory Joseph so its not like they saw much of a future for him. That return would also seem to indicate that Wright didnt carry much value.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 199

Post#2412 » by JNewton » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:21 pm

Snakebites wrote:People talk a lot about Haliburton, not enough about Maxey, Quickley and Bane.

As bad as luck as the Pistons have had in the lottery over the years (and I'm not sure I'll ever get over moving down to 5 in the Wemby draft), missing on players that are available at whatever draft position they have has been the biggest bugaboo for the Pistons for this entire 15 year stretch of ineptitude.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#2413 » by BDM22 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:31 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

OKC has gotten picks for taking contracts several times. Al Horford and Kemba Walker immediately come to mind

Pretty simplistic version of events here. OKC gave Danny Green in that deal who was a useful, starting caliber player at the time and started in the playoffs for Philly for 2 seasons after that. It wasn't just a deal to take on a contract. And Kemba was owed $74M dollars over multiple years lol. It's not the same as taking an expiring $10M salary that you flip in a trade 3 days later.

You could certainly argue (and I would) that the move should have been to go harder after these longer-term bad dead money deals teams might try to get off of at the beginning of the rebuild for better compensation at the expense of cap flexibility, but that's a different argument than thinking we should get the 17th pick for a small and easily tradable expiring contract lol.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2414 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:32 pm

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Pretty simplistic version of events here. OKC gave Danny Green in that deal who was a useful, starting caliber player at the time and started in the playoffs for Philly for 2 seasons after that. It wasn't just a deal to take on a contract. And Kemba was owed $74M dollars over multiple years lol. It's not the same as taking an expiring $10M salary that you flip in a trade 3 days later.

You could certainly argue (and I would) that the move should have been to go harder after these longer-term bad dead money deals teams might try to get off of at the beginning of the rebuild for better compensation at the expense of cap flexibility, but that's a different argument than thinking we should get the 17th pick for a small and easily tradable expiring contract lol.

How about OKC absorbing Derrick Favors' $10 mil contract in exchange for a top 10 protected 1st rounder?

And yes, your last paragraph is pretty much the basis of my argument. Its a simple case of being impatient, and not letting the market come to you. Which by the way Weaver has never shown much of any patience in any offseason, despite having gobs of cap space pretty much every year. Also Why is a rebuilding team trading away 1st round picks?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2415 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:06 pm

thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

How about OKC absorbing Derrick Favors' $10 mil contract in exchange for a top 10 protected 1st rounder?

And yes, your last paragraph is pretty much the basis of my argument. Its a simple case of being impatient, and not letting the market come to you. Which by the way Weaver has never shown much of any patience in any offseason, despite having gobs of cap space pretty much every year. Also Why is a rebuilding team trading away 1st round picks?

Favors was also non-expiring.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#2416 » by DetroitSho » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:People talk a lot about Haliburton, not enough about Maxey, Quickley and Bane.

By who? I've literally at no point ever heard that. Saben Lee bruh?

NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,222

Post#2417 » by NYPiston » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:10 pm

thesack12 wrote:

The Ariza contract is just noise, that was the beginning of the teardown so that's a nothingburger but this pick until it conveys is going to restrict the Pistons from making big time moves. Stewart is actually ok value for where he was picked but to give up this pick which would be a valuable trade asset now makes it a bad trade.

Actually, a good trade would be getting this pick back from the Knicks so the Pistons could have all their assets at their disposal. Don't know what a trade like that would look like but it should be considered.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#2418 » by DetroitSho » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:13 pm

By all means there's plenty of actual truths to use to speak against Weaver. Why do you guys choose lies?

BDM22
RealGM

Post#2419 » by BDM22 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:14 pm

DetroitSho wrote:

It was team marketing nonsense, but hilarious and sad to look back on :lol:

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2420 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:20 pm

DetroitSho wrote:

The management.

EDIT: Thanks BD

Return to Detroit Pistons