2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#381 » by theBigLip » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:41 pm

A_dub06 wrote:Trade Duren for a better wing, draft Sarr. Duren sucks on defence and who cares about dunking rebounders? Sarr in his rookie season will at minimum be as good as Duren on the defensive end but I think he will be better, and offensively his ceiling is pretty high. The pistons need a talent injection period, we can talk about getting veteran guys and more shooters but at the end of the day they are devoid of top tier talent. If this team passes on Sarr which has the potential to be a really impactful player for someone like one of UK’s guards or Zaccharie I’ll be livid.

This draft sucks, and moving off Duren before the rest of the league realises how bad his defence is will only help us

Agree the draft sucks. But Duren? What's wrong with a dunking rebounder for a 20 year old? You don't think he has a chance to improve on D? Athletically, he can certainly do it. But a big part of team D is seeing plays develop before they actually happen. That just takes reps. His dunking/rebounding is keeping him on the floor while he gets those reps. Let's not dump him until he's at least old enough to drink :lol:
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#382 » by A_dub06 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:28 am

theBigLip wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:Trade Duren for a better wing, draft Sarr. Duren sucks on defence and who cares about dunking rebounders? Sarr in his rookie season will at minimum be as good as Duren on the defensive end but I think he will be better, and offensively his ceiling is pretty high. The pistons need a talent injection period, we can talk about getting veteran guys and more shooters but at the end of the day they are devoid of top tier talent. If this team passes on Sarr which has the potential to be a really impactful player for someone like one of UK’s guards or Zaccharie I’ll be livid.

This draft sucks, and moving off Duren before the rest of the league realises how bad his defence is will only help us

Agree the draft sucks. But Duren? What's wrong with a dunking rebounder for a 20 year old? You don't think he has a chance to improve on D? Athletically, he can certainly do it. But a big part of team D is seeing plays develop before they actually happen. That just takes reps. His dunking/rebounding is keeping him on the floor while he gets those reps. Let's not dump him until he's at least old enough to drink :lol:

Duren has not improved on defence at all this season, that is scary considering a player of his archetype is supposed to be able to defend the rim which is where a lot of the value of that type of player comes from. Without good defence, he’s just a garbage man and that doesn’t hold much value. Players can get better at defence but they don’t go from bad (which Duren is) to great, I can’t recall that ever happening. I’d prefer to trade him now whilst he still holds better “potential” in other teams eyes before it’s clear league wide he’s not a good defender and he looses his shine. Plus I think it’s pretty obvious he’s not going to ever stretch the floor.

When you consider all this and holding onto Duren will most likely see his trade value decrease, then factor in even what Sarr potentially has I think its an incredibly easy call to make given all the question marks the other players have in this draft.

We really need top tier talent, I get that people are sick of losing and so am I, but there’s no point in signing someone that’s not really going to help just to take even the slightest inch forward, and stop looking at draft picks when your roster is as bad as our. We need talent, bottom line. Weaver has messed up time and time again, creating a roster that doesn’t fit and players that probably won’t even become real impact players (Ivey/Duren) and overvalued others too long to the point we missed out on capitalising (Bojan and to an extent Stew).
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#383 » by ducler » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am

Salaun is my pick as for today.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#384 » by Canadafan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:39 pm

My reservation when thinking about trading our pick is the lottery ticket aspect of the draft. Me and a bud were just going through the Giannis draft and laughing about all the no name and horrible players that teams took. And then the Bucks scratched that lucky ticket that changed their franchise forever.
Makes me want to just take that stab in the dark and hope a miracle happens for us hahaha.
We've endured so much.
My main hope is we finally put Stew as Durens backup. Use our cap space to talk a vet into coming here to mentor them. A guy that would normally take vet minimum to play for a winning team. Give him a little more to entice him.
Then get a PG like Tyus. Overpay him a little to entice him to split the minutes with Ivey and Cade. 3guard rotation. I like Sasser and all but I need a guy that can run a team. Help Cade out. And teach Cade and ivey some things. Sasser, and Grimes, can get spot minutes. Grimes maybe a little backupSF even.
Luv Ausar as our SF. He will improve. Love Fontecchio as our backup at both forward spots.
Then we use our remaining massive amount of cap space to address PF. Preferably thru a trade where we save a team from their luxury tax issues. Obviously absolute worse case scenario is Tobias.

Duren Stew vet mentor
Tobias Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes
Ivey Sasser
Cade Tyus

Plus we make our top5 draft pick.

Even if we dealt our pick with Ivey and a future pick for Lauri, we wouldn't be winning any titles. (Utah or Brooklyn with Bridges likely wouldn't accept this offer anyways)
Maybe we are better off just improving less in the present day and scratching our lucky lotto ticket one more time for a brighter future
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#385 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:02 pm

Feels like Sarr and Risacher will be the top two picks
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts

Post#386 » by ducler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 pm

Risacher can fall out of top 5 if he continues to shoot like he did in 2024...
Sarr will be a top 3 pick no matter what IMO.
Topic will be a top 5 pick just based on potential.
Other guys can still rise with combine and so on.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#387 » by BDM22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:20 pm

ducler wrote:Risacher can fall out of top 5 if he continues to shoot like he did in 2024...

Yeah the Risacher fall off in terms of shooting is disappointing and makes that decision a lot harder at the top. Was hoping he had become this can't-miss shooter that at least would have guaranteed him to be a productive player.

Sarr is interesting but I hate his fit with Ausar and Duren. That means we'll probably draft him and keep all of them.

Sheppard is interesting too but I'm not convinced the defense will translate at his size. Look at Sasser in college versus the NBA. It's a totally different thing.

Topic scares me a lot. Big point guard that lacks athleticism and can't shoot but has a good handle, vision, and high BBIQ. Where have I heard that before?

None are particularly exciting for a top 5 pick.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#388 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 pm

BDM22 wrote:
ducler wrote:Risacher can fall out of top 5 if he continues to shoot like he did in 2024...

Yeah the Risacher fall off in terms of shooting is disappointing and makes that decision a lot harder at the top. Was hoping he had become this can't-miss shooter that at least would have guaranteed him to be a productive player.

Sarr is interesting but I hate his fit with Ausar and Duren. That means we'll probably draft him and keep all of them.

Shepherd is interesting too but I'm not convinced the defense will translate at his size. Look at Sasser in college versus the NBA. It's a totally different thing.

Maybe he will have a Franz type of game. He looks fast and has some good passing skills.
dezzie_33
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#389 » by dezzie_33 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 pm

I'm still rolling with Matas
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#390 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

dezzie_33 wrote:I'm still rolling with Matas

I like that he has some shot creation at 6'10 or whatever he is
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#391 » by SuperBad » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 am

Matas is my top pick for us than maybe Risarcher, then after that Cody Williams or one of shooting guards Knecht, Saluan, or Ja Kobe Walter’s, know we have too many young kids but if the blazers had a top five pick and want to move both there lottery picks for our higher pick I’m going to do it, they don’t have to play year one, we can draft two more and sign 3 more veterans not counting fetechennko and get the experience we need. I really want Buzelis and one of those guards.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#392 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

I don’t think I’ve ever cared less which pick we get.

Even at 5 we can probably get someone who was a potential first pick for us.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#393 » by BDM22 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 am

SuperBad wrote:Matas is my top pick for us than maybe Risarcher, then after that Cody Williams or one of shooting guards Knecht, Saluan, or Ja Kobe Walter’s, know we have too many young kids but if the blazers had a top five pick and want to move both there lottery picks for our higher pick I’m going to do it, they don’t have to play year one, we can draft two more and sign 3 more veterans not counting fetechennko and get the experience we need. I really want Buzelis and one of those guards.

Another high turnover, poor shooter, poor individual defender (though decent help defender) in the "core" scares me w/Matas.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts

Post#394 » by ducler » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am

See Salaun rise come draft time. Heart, shooting, defense, physical tools, he is not te best leader though. He is my pick since February.

If we pick 1st, I'd trade Duren and Ivey for Raptors 6th and 17th pick, then select Sarr at #1, Salaun at #6 and the best shooter available at #17.
JennetteMcCurdy
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#395 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am

Of the projected top picks, seems to me that Risachar and Shepard are the only two that could be league average from three right out of the gate. Am I wrong? If so, it might make sense to trade down and/or out for future assets. Maybe drop to 15-20, find a shooter there, and pick up a future first rounder?

Here’s a trade - our first rounder to OKC for #12 and a future first - they have about fifteen of them, they might even give us an extra :wink:
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#396 » by Notanoob » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am

I'm riding the Reed Sheppard train. Guys don't produce like he did as a freshman at a big time school and fail barring drugs or injury. I'd take him #1 overall.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#397 » by GreekAlex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 pm

Notanoob wrote:I'm riding the Reed Sheppard train. Guys don't produce like he did as a freshman at a big time school and fail barring drugs or injury. I'd take him #1 overall.

What’s his best case scenario player comp?

His ceiling doesn’t seem high enough to me.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#398 » by whitehops » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:07 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Notanoob wrote:I'm riding the Reed Sheppard train. Guys don't produce like he did as a freshman at a big time school and fail barring drugs or injury. I'd take him #1 overall.

What’s his best case scenario player comp?

His ceiling doesn’t seem high enough to me.

a lot of people have issue with it but i still think him and devin booker were similar as prospects. booker is bigger which is a definite advantage (sheppard is about the same size as steph curry) but their production and strengths/weaknesses are comparable and they were both freshman bench guards for kentucky. booker was also tagged with not having the highest ceiling pre-draft. then there are players like brunson, fred vanvleet, etc. that are good/great players despite having similar profiles.

there are small, non-explosive guards that succeed in the league with their skill level and bball IQ and i think reed can succeed as those guys have.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#399 » by A_dub06 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 am

BDM22 wrote:

Sheppard is interesting too but I'm not convinced the defense will translate at his size. Look at Sasser in college versus the NBA. It's a totally different thing.

Topic scares me a lot. Big point guard that lacks athleticism and can't shoot but has a good handle, vision, and high BBIQ. Where have I heard that before?

Sarr is the only player in this class with game changing potential imo. And in regards to his fit with Duren, I don’t think we should be worrying about that and instead be using Duren as trade fodder to get a better wing or in a trade for a bigger player. Sarr is already a better defender than Duren and he’s much more mobile and able to keep up with power forwards, plus he shows a foundation of being able to improve as a shooter and stretch the floor. That kind of athleticism, shooting potential and mobility shouldn’t be passed up for a big man imo. That’s why I don’t see any team picking a player other than Sarr 1st.

Agreed on Sheppard as well, he’ll get locked down in the NBA.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#400 » by GreekAlex » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:35 am

A_dub06 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Sarr is the only player in this class with game changing potential imo. And in regards to his fit with Duren, I don’t think we should be worrying about that and instead be using Duren as trade fodder to get a better wing or in a trade for a bigger player. Sarr is already a better defender than Duren and he’s much more mobile and able to keep up with power forwards, plus he shows a foundation of being able to improve as a shooter and stretch the floor. That kind of athleticism, shooting potential and mobility shouldn’t be passed up for a big man imo. That’s why I don’t see any team picking a player other than Sarr 1st.

Agreed on Sheppard as well, he’ll get locked down in the NBA.

Can you shed some light on why Sarr only played 18 mpg?

Return to Detroit Pistons