Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#401 » by A_dub06 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:03 am

GreekAlex wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Yeah the Risacher fall off in terms of shooting is disappointing and makes that decision a lot harder at the top. Was hoping he had become this can't-miss shooter that at least would have guaranteed him to be a productive player.

Sarr is interesting but I hate his fit with Ausar and Duren. That means we'll probably draft him and keep all of them.

Sheppard is interesting too but I'm not convinced the defense will translate at his size. Look at Sasser in college versus the NBA. It's a totally different thing.

Topic scares me a lot. Big point guard that lacks athleticism and can't shoot but has a good handle, vision, and high BBIQ. Where have I heard that before?

None are particularly exciting for a top 5 pick.

Sarr is the only player in this class with game changing potential imo. And in regards to his fit with Duren, I don’t think we should be worrying about that and instead be using Duren as trade fodder to get a better wing or in a trade for a bigger player. Sarr is already a better defender than Duren and he’s much more mobile and able to keep up with power forwards, plus he shows a foundation of being able to improve as a shooter and stretch the floor. That kind of athleticism, shooting potential and mobility shouldn’t be passed up for a big man imo. That’s why I don’t see any team picking a player other than Sarr 1st.

Agreed on Sheppard as well, he’ll get locked down in the NBA.

Can you shed some light on why Sarr only played 18 mpg?

The Perth Wildcats are one of the best teams in the NBL (finished 2nd thisbyear and they have the most championships out of any professional sporting club in the world) and most NBL teams that get young players signing there as opposed to going the college route want them to fit into their system and play a role and not make everything about that player and prioritise their development (the Illawarra Hawks are the exception with Lamelo Ball). The other component is that it would deter the other players that plan to play in the NBL long term from signing contracts if they know they will be supplanted by a one-and-done NBA draftee. NBL teams have also clued on to the fact they know said player is going to leave after one year so there’s no point pissing the rest of the team off by running everything through the player so it’s better to build culture and a sustainable system.

Sarr had games where his impact was undeniable and was an awesome player but as is to be expected with young big men there were times he made some silly mistakes. The potential is abundantly obvious though.

I’m not at all saying Sarr is 100% going to be a star or that there won’t be growing pains because there will be, but he has shown glimpses of being the big man unicorn with a foundation he can build on with the right system. I also think every other player in the draft doesn’t even have half the potential you’d want from a number one pick, and I can see a probability where half of the top ten in this draft aren’t even in the league in 5 years haha.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 22

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#402 » by Kp junior » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:48 am

A_dub06 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Sarr is the only player in this class with game changing potential imo. And in regards to his fit with Duren, I don’t think we should be worrying about that and instead be using Duren as trade fodder to get a better wing or in a trade for a bigger player. Sarr is already a better defender than Duren and he’s much more mobile and able to keep up with power forwards, plus he shows a foundation of being able to improve as a shooter and stretch the floor. That kind of athleticism, shooting potential and mobility shouldn’t be passed up for a big man imo. That’s why I don’t see any team picking a player other than Sarr 1st.

The Perth Wildcats are one of the best teams in the NBL (finished 2nd thisbyear and they have the most championships out of any professional sporting club in the world) and most NBL teams that get young players signing there as opposed to going the college route want them to fit into their system and play a role and not make everything about that player and prioritise their development (the Illawarra Hawks are the exception with Lamelo Ball). The other component is that it would deter the other players that plan to play in the NBL long term from signing contracts if they know they will be supplanted by a one-and-done NBA draftee. NBL teams have also clued on to the fact they know said player is going to leave after one year so there’s no point pissing the rest of the team off by running everything through the player so it’s better to build culture and a sustainable system.

Sarr had games where his impact was undeniable and was an awesome player but as is to be expected with young big men there were times he made some silly mistakes. The potential is abundantly obvious though.

I’m not at all saying Sarr is 100% going to be a star or that there won’t be growing pains because there will be, but he has shown glimpses of being the big man unicorn with a foundation he can build on with the right system. I also think every other player in the draft doesn’t even have half the potential you’d want from a number one pick, and I can see a probability where half of the top ten in this draft aren’t even in the league in 5 years haha.

Yeah Sarr looks elite defensively already, albeit in the smaller and less athletic NBL. But top level.
Offensively he is rougher around the edges. Shot some clutch 3’s earlier in the season, and his shot looks like it might be legit, but he was very very low usage in the Wildcats, for the reasons you mentioned. I’m on board, I think he’ll be Evan Mobley level and potentially more if the 3 ball develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#403 » by Notanoob » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:36 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Notanoob wrote:I'm riding the Reed Sheppard train. Guys don't produce like he did as a freshman at a big time school and fail barring drugs or injury. I'd take him #1 overall.

What’s his best case scenario player comp?

His ceiling doesn’t seem high enough to me.

The FVV comparison is good, except that Sheppard got more steals and shot way better as a freshman in the SEC than FVV did as a senior in the Missouri Valley Conference. Despite being small and not that much of a leaper he made 66.7% of his shots at the rim (FVV shot 45% at the rim his senior year). He blocked more shots per40 minutes than 6'8"-6'9" guys like Tristan da Silva, Johnny Furphy, Kyshawn George, and Cody Williams. And of course he hit 52% of his threes. He should be a very rich man's FVV. If he's just Seth Curry it'd be a disappointment but I think that's his floor.

Frankly this draft is trash and I'm not really sold on anyone else yet. Between Sarr and Clingan I'd rather take Clingan who's bigger and a better passer, but what's the real offensive upside for either of them? They'll both need someone to set them up. Risacher's offensive game is pretty rudimentary and his shooting fell off a cliff. Topic can't shoot 3s or play much defense. Castle can't shoot and more of a finisher than creator (though that's not his fault tbh, team's offense was just so good). I don't trust any of he G-League guys. Rob Dillingham is basically the only other top prospect standing and between the two small guards I'd rather get the one who plays defense, though TBH Dillingham can really score so I wouldn't hate it if we drafted him.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#404 » by A_dub06 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:13 am

Kp junior wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Yeah Sarr looks elite defensively already, albeit in the smaller and less athletic NBL. But top level.
Offensively he is rougher around the edges. Shot some clutch 3’s earlier in the season, and his shot looks like it might be legit, but he was very very low usage in the Wildcats, for the reasons you mentioned. I’m on board, I think he’ll be Evan Mobley level and potentially more if the 3 ball develops.

I’d say defensively his reads and IQ are less than what Mobley’s were coming in but that more speaks to how good Mobley is. He’s definitely shown he knows how to use his length and mobility to lock up bigs and some wings. It’s weird watching him play because he runs like a guard or smaller forward but he’s 7’1 with a big wingspan. With some weight training he should be able to add on a little more muscle too
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#405 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 am

For the first time maybe ever as a Pistons fan I'm on team trade the pick.

I'll still take Reed Sheppard if we keep the pick. UK is a straight NBA guard factory. Maybe hes the next Herro,Booker, or Maxey. I'm not going to let size, bad athleticism, and a crappy tourney game get me off a true Fresh that had that historic efficiency at UK.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#406 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm

I know not everyone likes Sam V but I enjoy his work. His big board from the 19th for anyone who doesnt have a sub.

1.Sarr
2.Topic
3.Castle
4.Reed
5.Clingan
6.Matas
7.Holland
8.Risacher-Pretty much all the concerns I had have already shown up since early in the process
9.Cody Will
10. Dillingham

https://theathletic.com/5382764/2024/04/19/nba-draft-big-board-stephon-castle-donovan-clingan-connecticut/
Kp junior
Ballboy

Post#407 » by Kp junior » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:06 am

Steph changed the game, and now the next gen are coming through that grew up thinking Steph shooting is normal? Who knows maybe there will be multiple smaller guys who can shoot like Steph coming through now and Sheppard is the first of those.
Complete conjecture but based on that I’m going to say Sheppard’s floor is Seth and his ceiling is Steph and now I’m on board.

The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,121

Post#408 » by The Moose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:24 am

GreekAlex wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Yeah the Risacher fall off in terms of shooting is disappointing and makes that decision a lot harder at the top. Was hoping he had become this can't-miss shooter that at least would have guaranteed him to be a productive player.

Sarr is interesting but I hate his fit with Ausar and Duren. That means we'll probably draft him and keep all of them.

Sheppard is interesting too but I'm not convinced the defense will translate at his size. Look at Sasser in college versus the NBA. It's a totally different thing.

Topic scares me a lot. Big point guard that lacks athleticism and can't shoot but has a good handle, vision, and high BBIQ. Where have I heard that before?

None are particularly exciting for a top 5 pick.

He wasn't as good as Pinder was this season, that simple imo. He had some of the worst +/- numbers for Perth this year. Defensively Sarr is very good already, but offensively he has a long way to go and is mostly all flashes there right now. As of now, he's not a good screener and he's not a good finisher in the half court, especially through contact. He lacks a degree of physicality everywhere on offense basically, admittedly the NBL is a very physical league with a crowded paint, but still he shot 55% at the rim in the half court which is very low for a 7 footer. Clingan for example shot 70%.

So, he's a bit of an awkward fit as a screen and roll big right now, he seems to prefer to play as a pick and pop type of guy, and he loves to take jumpers. Only problem is he also isn't a good shooter right now either.

He's a massive project offensively imo, isn't good in a traditional big man role on offense, but also isn't a good shooter or perimeter style big yet either. He's intriguing because he shows flashes of a lot of things that 7 footers don't do, but it's really going to have to all come together for him

I can see a team taking him 1st because of the flashes/size/age etc, but I wouldn't do it personally
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,264

Post#409 » by GreekAlex » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:00 am

The Moose wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

He wasn't as good as Pinder was this season, that simple imo. He had some of the worst +/- numbers for Perth this year. Defensively Sarr is very good already, but offensively he has a long way to go and is mostly all flashes there right now. As of now, he's not a good screener and he's not a good finisher in the half court, especially through contact. He lacks a degree of physicality everywhere on offense basically, admittedly the NBL is a very physical league with a crowded paint, but still he shot 55% at the rim in the half court which is very low for a 7 footer. Clingan for example shot 70%.

So, he's a bit of an awkward fit as a screen and roll big right now, he seems to prefer to play as a pick and pop type of guy, and he loves to take jumpers. Only problem is he also isn't a good shooter right now either.

He's a massive project offensively imo, isn't good in a traditional big man role on offense, but also isn't a good shooter or perimeter style big yet either. He's intriguing because he shows flashes of a lot of things that 7 footers don't do, but it's really going to have to all come together for him

I can see a team taking him 1st because of the flashes/size/age etc, but I wouldn't do it personally

Thanks for the insight
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#410 » by A_dub06 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:03 pm

The Moose wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Well yeah Pinder > Sarr right now but he had a huge impact in multiple games, when he’s good he was amazing but when he was bad he was making bad really bad plays. Agreed on him being “raw” defensively and he’s not a great rebounder but as raw as he is I still think he’s light years above what Duren is right now. His mechanics on his shot are solid and I think he could very easily assume the offensive role duren has right now with just being a dunker.

With regard to the Clingan comparison yeah Clingan is shooting better at the rim but his offensive game is entirely different and only based around the rim. If you draft Sarr you’re drafting him for his defence and shooting ability in a couple of years. I also think playing in the nba where there’s more spacing will help his interior offence where he can put the ball on the floor to get to the rim.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 308

Post#411 » by King Bugs » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:11 pm

I think Sarr is probably the only player in the top 5 that I like. One thing I was noticing about these playoff teams so far is that they all have legitimate defensive anchors. Guys that block shots, clean up mistakes, dudes that actually make players miss at the rim! We haven't had a real defensive anchor on this team since Rasheed Wallace left. We really have to get serious about building a defense.

We are in desperate need of an impact defender.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#412 » by A_dub06 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:37 am

King Bugs wrote:I think Sarr is probably the only player in the top 5 that I like. One thing I was noticing about these playoff teams so far is that they all have legitimate defensive anchors. Guys that block shots, clean up mistakes, dudes that actually make players miss at the rim! We haven't had a real defensive anchor on this team since Rasheed Wallace left. We really have to get serious about building a defense.

We are in desperate need of an impact defender.

His defence and the hope he can become a legit stretch 5 are too high for me to ignore. Looking at the rest of the top 10 you have guys like Risacher who’s 3pt shot has completely tanked in the second half of the season which combined with ft% looks like he just had a hot streak, and then other guys that either look like shooters but have bad numbers or can shoot but are small and not athletic for their position the pick is simple. I’m all for trading for Trey Murphy but if we keep it I’d want Sarr as the pick and then try trading Duren in a package for KAT. Sign Miles Bridges and all of a sudden you have a lineup of:

Cunningham
Thompson
Bridges
Murphy
Kat

Haven’t looked at the cap numbers but that at least would be a fun lineup with shooting, athleticism and size.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,314

Post#413 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm

If we keep our first, not sure what kind of package we'd have for KAT that would make sense for Minny. I think if you're hunting for KAT, you have to say goodbye to that pick.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,173

Post#414 » by NYPiston » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:13 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Feels like Sarr and Risacher will be the top two picks

There's nobody else I'm interested in tbh. It's disconcerting that Risacher's 3 point percentage tanked and that Sarr is so raw and hasn't learned to shoot yet but in terms of archetype, these two are the ones that stand out to me in an otherwise class that brings very little intrigue and Sarr at least has the ability to be a game changer defensively.
Cody Williams has the archetype but having seen him a lot, he just looks like a player that doesn't want it enough and doesn't do anything that stands out whatsoever.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,173

Post#415 » by NYPiston » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 pm

Snakebites wrote:I don’t think I’ve ever cared less which pick we get.

Even at 5 we can probably get someone who was a potential first pick for us.

I care simply because the top pick or 2 or 3 would carry more trade value than 4 or 5 but in terms of level of prospect, there isn't much of a difference between 1 and 5 even though the French duo holds a little more intrigue for me.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#416 » by A_dub06 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:52 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:If we keep our first, not sure what kind of package we'd have for KAT that would make sense for Minny. I think if you're hunting for KAT, you have to say goodbye to that pick.

The reason I think if the Wolves flame out early in the playoffs would trade Kat would be to get cheaper and be able to re-tool elsewhere. Kat has an incredibly expensive contract which is going to cost them and Kat is semi expendable when they have Reid on the roster that can get them 75% of the way there at a lesser cost. I could be wrong but that’s just my thoughts
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#417 » by A_dub06 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:54 pm

NYPiston wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Feels like Sarr and Risacher will be the top two picks

There's nobody else I'm interested in tbh. It's disconcerting that Risacher's 3 point percentage tanked and that Sarr is so raw and hasn't learned to shoot yet but in terms of archetype, these two are the ones that stand out to me in an otherwise class that brings very little intrigue and Sarr at least has the ability to be a game changer defensively.
Cody Williams has the archetype but having seen him a lot, he just looks like a player that doesn't want it enough and doesn't do anything that stands out whatsoever.

Sarr I think will shoot just at or just below 30% from 3 his first season in the league. His shooting is further along then say his post game but he’s still a big lob threat so will be able to clean up somewhat there
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,066

Post#418 » by bstein14 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 pm

If we didn't take Ausar last year, Castle would be an interesting option for us if we get pick 4 or 5... but once again you can only have so many guys who can't shoot the ball especially at the 2/3 spot. I think its safe to say Castle is one of the higher upside players in the draft but he is going to need a few years most likely.

Watching him in the tournament and highlight videos on him he feels like a typical Weaver pick.

Kp junior
Ballboy

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#419 » by Kp junior » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 pm

Watching a Sheppard scout report and his absurd shooting numbers, he would really make it hard for teams to overplay Cade like they do currently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#420 » by Drwho17 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:For the first time maybe ever as a Pistons fan I'm on team trade the pick.

I'll still take Reed Sheppard if we keep the pick. UK is a straight NBA guard factory. Maybe hes the next Herro,Booker, or Maxey. I'm not going to let size, bad athleticism, and a crappy tourney game get me off a true Fresh that had that historic efficiency at UK.

Why? Is it going to put the team over the top? The answer to that is probably no, so even in a weak draft, why/what would they flip that pick for that would be meaningful or have more impact than another cost controlled player for 5 years, with potential.

Return to Detroit Pistons