2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,069

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#421 » by bstein14 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 am

Drwho17 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:For the first time maybe ever as a Pistons fan I'm on team trade the pick.

I'll still take Reed Sheppard if we keep the pick. UK is a straight NBA guard factory. Maybe hes the next Herro,Booker, or Maxey. I'm not going to let size, bad athleticism, and a crappy tourney game get me off a true Fresh that had that historic efficiency at UK.

Why? Is it going to put the team over the top? The answer to that is probably no, so even in a weak draft, why/what would they flip that pick for that would be meaningful or have more impact than another cost controlled player for 5 years, with potential.

Most likely in part due to a lack in faith in Weaver.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#422 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:36 am

Drwho17 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:For the first time maybe ever as a Pistons fan I'm on team trade the pick.

I'll still take Reed Sheppard if we keep the pick. UK is a straight NBA guard factory. Maybe hes the next Herro,Booker, or Maxey. I'm not going to let size, bad athleticism, and a crappy tourney game get me off a true Fresh that had that historic efficiency at UK.

Why? Is it going to put the team over the top? The answer to that is probably no, so even in a weak draft, why/what would they flip that pick for that would be meaningful or have more impact than another cost controlled player for 5 years, with potential.

There is plenty of steps to take before being "put over the top". Like making the playoffs, winning a series, or winning 50 games. See what teams like the Cavs, Wolves,CP3 suns or Knicks have done by just adding good vet talent to their team.

I'd much rather sell the "cost controlled player" that will be a likely bust to another franchise. Its time for us to add some vet talent that will improve the young talent we have on the roster. We have the most cap space ITL right now anyways I'm concerned with spending that money on good players not saving money.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#423 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 am

bstein14 wrote:
Drwho17 wrote:

Most likely in part due to a lack in faith in Weaver.

For sure part of the equation but not the only thing.

No faith in Troy when the draft choice isnt automatic consensus pick. 2020 he was going Wiseman over Edwards and Melo. Hes already fired if we won that lotto IMO. He took Kill over Hali. Many fans in draft threads wanted Maxey he missed him twice.

Presti sent us a fake draft guru. He hyped his close buddy Troy up to get him a better job and a raise. Meanwhile Presti been over in OKC stacking talent not missing a beat since Troy left town.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,347

Post#424 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 am

Have been watching a bit of YouTube film and starting to come around on Ron Holland. He had an up and down season in the G-League but showed his scoring potential averaging almost 20 PPG, is athletic and looks like he will be at least an average defender. He'll still be 18 on draft night.

The raw 3PT% doesn't look great but he made improvements with his shooting from distance over the season, and shot 29% on 3.5 attempts over his last 10 games. For someone that came out of high school and had to adapt to shooting from the NBA three point line which is 4 feet back it's hard to expect 35%+ straightaway.

For what it's worth his stats are significantly better than Kuminga's in the G-League, and on par/slightly better than Jalen Green.

I think if you're shooting for a prospect with All-Star potential then he's your guy.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,050

Post#425 » by vic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

For me the pick is still Risacher.

The whole reason this team is in the situation it’s in is always picking BPA and potential instead of PRODUCTION and FIT with Cade.

At the end of the day Risacher is the best 2 way wing defender, shooter, cutter, off ball both ways. Slump or not, 39% is exactly what you want. Many players have slumps or finish their season weak then use that experience come back with more consistently their rookie year. Franz Wagner comes to mind.

Tecc and Risacher are the exact type of players you need around Cade, Ivey, Ausar, and Duren.

In the NBA, there’s only 1 ball on the court at a time! Everybody on a team doesn’t need a “bag” and iso highlights.

Last year everyone wanted Ausar because of his passing ability over Cam Whitmore who was a more perfect fit with his SHOOTING ability and FINISHING ability. I like Ausar too, but being completely honest, Cam was a better fit.

Now you have painted yourself into a corner where absolutely NEED multiple Risacher/Fontecchio type players to make the team work in any way that makes sense.

I really hope we get a more analytical front office leader that will continue to build a team, not just throw a bunch of athletes together.

And we need a coach that can put it together on the floor instead of using his point guard as a crutch!

But as the team is constructed now - RISACHER IS THE PICK!

And if you trade for another pick - you absolutely need Fikipowski as a 3&D 4/5.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,896

Post#426 » by MotownMadness » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 pm

Leaning towards Risacher
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#427 » by SuperBad » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Buzelis
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,825

Post#428 » by zeebneeb » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 pm

Man, some of you seem confident on who the pick should be, or trade but with how bad the Pistons have been, I honestly don't have any idea.

Hopefully, whatever happens between now, and opening night, it's good for the Pistons. I mean, after that horrendous 17 win season, I was absolutely certain things couldn't get worse.

Now I'm just hoping the Pistons aren't 10 wins bad next season.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,050

Post#429 » by vic » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 pm

If I get pick 1... the only other option than Risacher is to trade #1 to Portland for Grant, #4, and #14.

Adding Jerami Grant,
#4 (Risacher, Sheppard, Topic)
#14 (Filipowski, Ulrich Chomche)

Would be a great haul
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#430 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 pm

vic wrote:If I get pick 1... the only other option than Risacher is to trade #1 to Portland for Grant, #4, and #14.

Adding Jerami Grant,

Would be a great haul

I think you could get #4 and #14 for #1 or #2. Grant might be a bit much. I would do either trade and draft two shooters.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,779

Post#431 » by theBigLip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Unless we get a godfather offer, keep the pick and get another young guy on a rookie contract. Even though it’s 50/50 if we get a starter, it’s the smart move.

If you say we have too many young guys, then trade away the young ones that have been around the longest, if you don’t think they will materialize into a starter on a good team.

We’ve got enough cap space to make trades and sign free agents. Use that to get us some players.

If Risacher can be a starting two way SF in a couple of years, why just toss that away in a marginal trade?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,843

Post#432 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 pm

vic wrote:If I get pick 1... the only other option than Risacher is to trade #1 to Portland for Grant, #4, and #14.

Adding Jerami Grant,

Would be a great haul

I doubt there’s enough of a consensus on the top 4 to even get the 14 along with 4 in exchange for one.

Hard to get value trading down when the draft is seen as a crapshoot.

The flip side of that is I’ve never been less concerned about falling in the lottery.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,896

Post#433 » by MotownMadness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 am

Im sure we'll be picking at the top in it as well but next years class looks good
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#434 » by A_dub06 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:15 am

Adding Jerami Grant,

Would be a great haul

Risacher should not be an option if we land #1. He’s shot something like 28% the last 4 months from 3 and he has a bad FT% around 70% which suggests he was just having a hot streak and is not an actual shooter. He also can’t create for himself, isn’t a top tier athlete and has more question marks than answers at this point.
jars
Junior
And1: 30

Post#435 » by jars » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:07 am

I've seen a lot of comparisons to the 2013 Anthony Bennett Draft, but I actually feel like it might be closer to the 2020 Anthony Edwards draft. Someone in these top few picks is going to be really good, but nobody knows who. We could easily be the team to end up with the next James Wiseman or Isaac Okoro and it might be at 1 or it might be at 4. If a good trade comes up, then we should definitely be considering it unless our scouts are certain on someone. It all really comes down to the philosophy of our next PoBBO... Sam Hinkie :lol: :lol:
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,347

Post#436 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 am

A_dub06 wrote:

Adding Jerami Grant,

Would be a great haul

Risacher should not be an option if we land #1. He’s shot something like 28% the last 4 months from 3 and he has a bad FT% around 70% which suggests he was just having a hot streak and is not an actual shooter. He also can’t create for himself, isn’t a top tier athlete and has more question marks than answers at this point.

Just to fact check, he's shot 32% from three on 3.8 attempts per game over the past four months in the two different leagues (Eurocup and LNB Pro A) he's played in. Only a few percentage points difference to what you said, but that difference affects the interpretation.

Looking at the larger sample size of his season, he has shot 43% from three on 3.4 attempts per game between the aforementioned leagues. The majority of those stats came as an 18 year old playing in a pro league (he turned 19 three weeks ago).

I agree in most drafts he wouldn't be in #1 pick consideration. But this draft doesn't have anything close to a consensus #1 pick and every prospect in consideration has significant flaws, including Risacher.

If Risacher's realistic projection is an elite 3 and D guy, given we are itching for players like that to surround Cade with, then I am absolutely considering taking him first.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#437 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

A_dub06 wrote:

Adding Jerami Grant,

Would be a great haul

As I mentioned months ago ITT his shooting metrics dont line up with being a strong shooter. At that time he was shooting 47.5% from 3pter and had alot of pick 1 buzz. Since I said that his 3pt numbers have fell alot. He ended up shooting 75% FT and 35% 3pt this season.

He doesnt have any on ball creation or handles. His 3pt shooting is going to be average. Hes a solid athlete and he should be a + defender.

Pretty tall at 6'9 but has a terrible wingspan for his height only 6'10. To put it into perspective Cade is 6'6 and he has a 7foot wingspan, Kawhi is 6'6 with a 7'3 wingspan, LBJ 7ft wingspan, our boy T.Prince was 6'9 had a 7'2 wingspan.

The thing is this draft is so crappy its hard for me to say anyone who has him as their pick 1 is wrong. Its either draft your fav role player like Risacher or take a dice roll on a long shot and hope they get there. I have no faith in Troy Weaver picking the correct player so I say trade the pick.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#438 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:53 pm

jars wrote:I've seen a lot of comparisons to the 2013 Anthony Bennett Draft, but I actually feel like it might be closer to the 2020 Anthony Edwards draft. Someone in these top few picks is going to be really good, but nobody knows who. We could easily be the team to end up with the next James Wiseman or Isaac Okoro and it might be at 1 or it might be at 4. If a good trade comes up, then we should definitely be considering it unless our scouts are certain on someone. It all really comes down to the philosophy of our next PoBBO... Sam Hinkie :lol: :lol:

2020 draft was the covid year so scouting was off some. Their was some excitement about Ant and Melo that year from some of the draft scouts though.

This draft has nothing its the worst draft I've seen and I follow drafts closely. I remember 2013 but I didnt follow drafts back then like I do now but this is the worst since then for sure. It makes since this draft is terrible the last few have been good and the next two are awesome. You get one dud draft every decade this is the dud.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,177

Post#439 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:57 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Man, some of you seem confident on who the pick should be, or trade but with how bad the Pistons have been, I honestly don't have any idea.

Hopefully, whatever happens between now, and opening night, it's good for the Pistons. I mean, after that horrendous 17 win season, I was absolutely certain things couldn't get worse.

Now I'm just hoping the Pistons aren't 10 wins bad next season.

Actually, I think this is the least confident anybody has been in a long time. There's no must have prospect like in years past and there's no must want trade or free agent.

I think most of the fanbase is confident in one thing, that Gores has made a mess of this once proud franchise.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,469

Post#440 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Adding Jerami Grant,

Would be a great haul

POR isn’t doing that for the same reason DET would move the first pick; there isn’t an overall consensus top pick that looks like a sure winner. The top of the draft is filled with questionable talent.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Detroit Pistons