ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#321 » by NYPiston » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:05 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Watching Colorado now, so hopefully Cody Williams shows something

And he did Nothing. I'll never understand why some people are big fans of his, he's just sorta...there everytime I watch him. This draft is bad but not so bad that I'd be desperate enough to take Cody Williams with a top 5 pick, Jalen Williams he is not.
Maybe he makes me look dumb but I'm not seeing any special skills.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#322 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:17 pm

NYPiston wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Watching Colorado now, so hopefully Cody Williams shows something

And he did Nothing. I'll never understand why some people are big fans of his, he's just sorta...there everytime I watch him. This draft is bad but not so bad that I'd be desperate enough to take Cody Williams with a top 5 pick, Jalen Williams he is not.

I watched Cody again last night. Hes not really bad at anything but is just so content being like a 5th man out there.

I guess he would be a good player to add but he doesn't stand out anywhere.

Reed is having a superstar type of impact out there but his size and lack of athleticism is worrisome. I think hes clearly the best player though.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#323 » by A_dub06 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:10 pm

bstein14 wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
This point is never considered by some fans. The idea of us just riding the "core 4" into the sunset and becoming the next Warriors also means they all will get big raises. I think expecting us to get a Curry,Klay,Draymond out of what we have is a pretty big stretch. Those guys had incredible synergy together their games really fit perfectly and Curry is a legend.

The other somewhat modern team blueprint of holding a bunch of lotto picks and contending I can think of is the Thunder. Thats where Troy is from. They had a Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka but let Harden walk due to cash(big mistake but neither here nor there). That team went from 20,23, to 50 by Durants year 3. I dont know if Weaver is thinking thats whats happening here but I think its a huge stretch with our guys turning into that if thats what Troy is trying to do here.

I do think we have a franchise player to build around in Cade here. I'm just looking to get a star next to him that has some synergy. To me I look at the Suns as a more realistic blueprint which funny enough had Monty as the coach. Remember they added CP3 a strong vet to a young core and became contenders and even had a 64 win season. Obv no title for them but getting their once means you at least had a fighting chance.

I think the point that’s being overlooked by some is that the build via the draft camp realise that some players aren’t going to be what we hoped so in theory they aren’t going to cost much to resign making it doable. I don’t think Ivey in his current inconsistent state is worth a hell of a lot. I like the guy and think there’s an all-star calibre player buried in deep but him realising his potential and improving to that point is a big if.

But your point is also why I’m on the draft Sarr and trade Duren island. I think when the time comes Duren is going to command a bag he doesn’t deserve

Ivey looks more like an MLE $ 6th man type after his four years of rookie contract are up.... Ausar hopefully works himself into MLE level 3&D type guy but he's not a star either if he develops he can become a good 4th or 5th starter on the team. I'm big on Duren, but even if he's a 17 and 13 center with a high TS% we aren't going to make the mistake of handing out a MAX deal to him like we did with Drummond. He would have to turn into an elite defensive anchor or incredibly expand his offensive skillset within the next year or two in order to get a huge pay day IMO. Being mostly just rebounding and dunking doesn't get you $25+ million per year even if you're a solid starter.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, our GM is Weaver. Dude gave Bagley a fully guaranteed $12.5m deal for 3 years with not even a team option when no other team even winked in Bagley’s direction. I do not trust gores to make the right decision and fire him asap nor do I trust Weaver to actually act as a gm and force players to get a better deal whilst offering a lesser more affordable deal. He’ll want to tout Duren as his draft success even if he just is a rebounding and dunking machine with bad-average defence
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#324 » by BDM22 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:24 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
NYPiston wrote:

I watched Cody again last night. Hes not really bad at anything but is just so content being like a 5th man out there.

I guess he would be a good player to add but he doesn't stand out anywhere.

Reed is having a superstar type of impact out there but his size and lack of athleticism is worrisome. I think hes clearly the best player though.

This is Patrick Williams in a nutshell, which means Weaver's definitely gonna take Cody #1 lol

I do think that, in this draft, Cody is almost certainly a top 5 pick with the physical tools, the solid looking jumpshot, etc.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#325 » by zeebneeb » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:26 pm

FINALLY started digging into the draft, watching, and reading about the top prospects and one guy really, really stands out.

Reed Sheppard.

I mean, talk about a shooter, holy crap. His metrics(pick one) all over the damn place are insane, nevermind his shooting, which is absolutely incredible.

Trade ivey, and someone else for a PF, and pick Reed next to Cade, which would be absurd.

He was the very last guy I watched tape/read pieces on, as just looking at him i was "yeah, your the last one im paying attention to."

I am utterly shocked. He is exactly the type of player I've been harping about for awhile now. Between the ears, and passion is the most important part of basketball, and good grief this kid plays hard, and smart.

Reminds me of old school NBA guards. Price, Stockton, Allen.

I'm still shocked at what I was just watching/reading. Feels like one of those players who will drop, but in retrospect should have been picked much higher.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#326 » by bstein14 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:01 pm

Reed Sheppard feels like at worst he's a solid rotation player right away. Like his floor is a slightly shorter Luke Kennard / Grayson Allen but possibly of of Alex Caruso as well. He's just smaller than all those guys, along with a small wingspan and lacking athleticism its hard to say how his physical attributes will hinder him at the NBA level.

He also (at least in college) appears to be a solid defender for his size but we all know the struggles of a 6'2" guy getting a hand up on shooters in the NBA.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#327 » by bstein14 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:24 am

Awful start to the 2nd half.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#328 » by tmorgan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:32 am

I hope Ivey is fine. That was a dumb time to drive.

Dammit. Bstein’s fault. Wrong thread.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#329 » by DetroitSho » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:58 am

bstein14 wrote:Reed Sheppard feels like at worst he's a solid rotation player right away. Like his floor is a slightly shorter Luke Kennard / Grayson Allen but possibly of of Alex Caruso as well. He's just smaller than all those guys, along with a small wingspan and lacking athleticism its hard to say how his physical attributes will hinder him at the NBA level.

He also (at least in college) appears to be a solid defender for his size but we all know the struggles of a 6'2" guy getting a hand up on shooters in the NBA.
I don't watch college basketball, never seen the guy play, but I take it he's white. You just named 3 guys who are somehow completely different from each other.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM

Post#330 » by bstein14 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:01 am

DetroitSho wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Reed Sheppard feels like at worst he's a solid rotation player right away. Like his floor is a slightly shorter Luke Kennard / Grayson Allen but possibly of of Alex Caruso as well. He's just smaller than all those guys, along with a small wingspan and lacking athleticism its hard to say how his physical attributes will hinder him at the NBA level.

I don't watch college basketball, never seen the guy play, but I take it he's white. You just named 3 guys who are somehow completely different from each other.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

He's a great shooter Luke and Grayson, and the "but possibly a bit of Alex Caruso" is because he gets after it on defense... but its at the college level to a degree his lack of size is going to hurt him in some matchups in the NBA.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#331 » by bstein14 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:02 am

A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#332 » by A_dub06 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:27 am

If Sheppard had elite speed I would be fine drafting him, but he’s a below average athlete for even the college level let alone the NBA meaning all these defensive stats and plays mean less since he’s not going to be able to do that to the majority of players that are not only bigger but faster too.

I don’t see a world where he’s even a remote consideration if you are picking 1-3
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#333 » by keepitrealhomes » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:02 am

Yeah…trade the pick
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#334 » by zeebneeb » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:07 pm

A_dub06 wrote:If Sheppard had elite speed I would be fine drafting him, but he’s a below average athlete for even the college level let alone the NBA meaning all these defensive stats and plays mean less since he’s not going to be able to do that to the majority of players that are not only bigger but faster too.

I don’t see a world where he’s even a remote consideration if you are picking 1-3
I have seen this said about so many players it's absolutely insane at this point.

He is not below average for a college athlete. He has insane hands on defense. He is one of the best shooting college athletes ever.

He has intangibles that a vast majority of players just don't have.

In today's NBA you need elite bball IQ(check)elite defensive metrics(check)and elite shooting(check).

Anytime a team is picking top 5, they want a player that shows an elite skill, at their position, in one, or several facets of the game.

Reed sheppards game was built for the modern NBA, and he is exactly the type of player who should be next to Cade.

No one ever knows if a players skills are going to translate to the NBA, no matter where they come from(Europe, college, Australia, e.t.c)but in this draft, Reed stands out.

Of course, there is a good chance I'm wrong, as usual, but man, his shooting is absolutely **** wild.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#335 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:09 pm

Read on Twitter
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#336 » by theBigLip » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:23 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
I think the point that’s being overlooked by some is that the build via the draft camp realise that some players aren’t going to be what we hoped so in theory they aren’t going to cost much to resign making it doable. I don’t think Ivey in his current inconsistent state is worth a hell of a lot. I like the guy and think there’s an all-star calibre player buried in deep but him realising his potential and improving to that point is a big if.

But your point is also why I’m on the draft Sarr and trade Duren island. I think when the time comes Duren is going to command a bag he doesn’t deserve

Ivey looks more like an MLE $ 6th man type after his four years of rookie contract are up.... Ausar hopefully works himself into MLE level 3&D type guy but he's not a star either if he develops he can become a good 4th or 5th starter on the team. I'm big on Duren, but even if he's a 17 and 13 center with a high TS% we aren't going to make the mistake of handing out a MAX deal to him like we did with Drummond. He would have to turn into an elite defensive anchor or incredibly expand his offensive skillset within the next year or two in order to get a huge pay day IMO. Being mostly just rebounding and dunking doesn't get you $25+ million per year even if you're a solid starter.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, our GM is Weaver. Dude gave Bagley a fully guaranteed $12.5m deal for 3 years with not even a team option when no other team even winked in Bagley’s direction. I do not trust gores to make the right decision and fire him asap nor do I trust Weaver to actually act as a gm and force players to get a better deal whilst offering a lesser more affordable deal. He’ll want to tout Duren as his draft success even if he just is a rebounding and dunking machine with bad-average defence

1. You don’t know how much other teams looked into Bagley. Did you read a quote from Bagley or his agent?

2. To think that a 20 year old Duren has reached his full potential is very short sighted. There will be players drafted THIS YEAR that will be older than him. If rookies have a few good skills that keeps them on the floor, that’s great. Then they can continue working and filling out the rest of their game. Duren is already good and is only going to get better.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#337 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:41 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s a Tony Snell performance lol
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#338 » by The Moose » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 pm

my current board

Tier 1 - [Superstar prospect]

Tier 2 - [All NBA prospect]

Tier 3 - [All star potential prospect]
1. Nikola Topic
2. Reed Sheppard
3. Donovan Clingan

Tier 4 - [starters/impact players]
4. Ron Holland
5. Kyle Filipowski
6. Zach Edey
7. Devin Carter
8. Collin Murray-Boyles (probably will be in 2025 class though)
9. Rob Dillingham
10. Dalton Knecht

Tier 5 - [rotation guys/guys that stick around the league] not ordered yet but will be trimmed down
Alex Sarr
Stephon Castle
Da’Ron Holmes
Matas Buzelis
Jared McCain
Cody Williams
Zac Risacher
Johnny Furphy
Hansen Yang
Kel’el Ware
Tyler Kolek
Ryan Dunn
Jonathan Mogbo
Isaiah Collier
Jamal Shead
Ja'Kobe Walter
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#339 » by tmorgan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:24 pm

Moose follows this stuff more closely than I do, gonna take his word for it. Obviously a very sketchy draft.

I know Sheppard will play in the NBA. But TJ McConnell with a sweet stroke is one hell of an underwhelming top 3 pick.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#340 » by The Moose » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:43 pm

tmorgan wrote:Moose follows this stuff more closely than I do, gonna take his word for it. Obviously a very sketchy draft.

I know Sheppard will play in the NBA. But TJ McConnell with a sweet stroke is one hell of an underwhelming top 3 pick.

Honestly I like Sheppard a lot, but even I would say its sketchy to take him with a top 3 pick. I think in a better class you could take him in the 5-10 range and walk away feeling good.
I'm in the 'trade the pick' camp.

I think a lot of the the best fits for our current roster are overrated in this class, Risacher, Sarr (if you think he can play the 4), Cody Williams etc.
Now, whether we should be worried about the fit with our 'core', is a different question entirely, and one we should probably be thinking about

Return to Detroit Pistons