ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#301 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:02 am

Ugh again. Any draft in which you can convince anyone that Reed Sheppard is the #1 overall pick is utter, complete garbage. Good lord. Trade the pick — in a package for Lauri, in a package for Mikal, or whatever. Just don’t take a limited shooter or a foreign player that hasn’t played against anyone and doesn’t in any way look exceptional.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#302 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:22 am

tmorgan wrote:Ugh again. Any draft in which you can convince anyone that Reed Sheppard is the #1 overall pick is utter, complete garbage. Good lord. Trade the pick — in a package for Lauri, in a package for Mikal, or whatever. Just don’t take a limited shooter or a foreign player that hasn’t played against anyone and doesn’t in any way look exceptional.

This is a really really bad class. 2020 wasnt good either but their was covid kinda throwing off the scouting some. 2020 was very easy to see the upside in Melo or Ant at the top. This class its like just get us a starter and I'm happy.

Even trading the pick we run into the problem of everyone is aware this is a bad class so it wont be valued the same. Its going to have some value ofc but its not going to be the usual top 5 pick value.

Yeah the foreign players in this draft dont excite me whatsoever either. Risacher I liked as #1 for awhile just because he projects as a starter. Even him though its like 43% career 3pt shooter on low volume 2.2 3pa but hes only a 69% career FT shooter. Kinda question if his shooting is elite with the FT% there he could be more of streaky shooter at the NBA level. Hes not long for his height nor athletic so upside is meh. I think if we took him were basically hoping for Tecch at pick 1.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#303 » by Canadafan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:26 pm

I know it's been mentioned before but....
We can trade our lotto pick after we actually draft someone and then trade just 1 future pick ? Or how's that work :-?
I'd luv to get Lauri, he'd be incredible for us. I'd prefer him over Miles because of my faith in Ausur. And the fact Miles would likely take more to get.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#304 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:29 pm

Canadafan wrote:I know it's been mentioned before but....
We can trade our lotto pick after we actually draft someone and then trade just 1 future pick ? Or how's that work :-?
I'd luv to get Lauri, he'd be incredible for us. I'd prefer him over Miles because of my faith in Ausur. And the fact Miles would likely take more to get.

Yeah we could move that one on draft night along with like 2030 pick lol
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#305 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:30 pm

I think you package that pick with Ivey for one of Bridges, Markkanen or Murray.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Post#306 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
bstein14 wrote:I'm honestly not even worried how a rookie fits with the starters IMO if we keep a #2 to #5 draft pick they are a backup starting out. Weaver's not in a position to be starting and playing rookies big minutes at this point.

Reed Sheppard will likely be an immediate upgrade to the starting lineup over Ivey. Hes undersized and not a + athlete but likely still is a going to bring more to the table on defense then Ivey whos never even averaged a full steal per game since highschool. Hes very high IQ, can be in the right spot, has good hands etc. Some guys have wingspan and elite athleticism but just dont have defensive IQ.

No question his offensive game will fit better with Cade. We need guys who can knock down shots and play off the ball. Esp with two complete zeros from 3pter in Ausar and Duren in the core pretty essential we have elite shooters in the backcourt. Reed is +50% from 3pter in the NCAA right now and the stroke is lovely.

This would allow us to move Ivey to the bench where he can be a high usage on ball guard. Hes just not effective off the ball but not good enough as a playmaker to take the ball out of Cades hands. Ofc we may use the top 5+Ivey to bring in a big time player which could be very exciting.

In theory, if we spend our FA money on a forward, Ivey is clearly the weakest link as a starter. It still makes some sense to me to move Ivey to the bench but I know he won't be happy in that role with this team so I'm not sure what the solution is. He's been good in streaks of hot shooting but bad most of the time.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,764

Post#307 » by zeebneeb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:37 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I think you package that pick with Ivey for one of Bridges, Markkanen or Murray.
Keegan Murray? Dejonte Murray?

The problem with moving Ivey+pick is that it creates another hole, but...you could fill that by throwing a bag at Monk, who I wanted previously.

The team needs a starting 4, and adding bridges, although great, would immediately bench Ausar.

Ivey+pick has to be for a starting 4, as his position can be more easily filled.

Cade/Sasser
Monk/Grimes
Ausar/FA
Trade/Tek
Duren/Stewart

Depending on who that 4 is, that's a damn good, young team on the rise. I like Laurie, but if I'm being honest, and had my pick, I want a three-point shooting rim protector combo.

I wonder what the cost for JJJ would be. Just wondering. He would be amazing, but the price would probably be absurd.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#308 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:39 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I think you package that pick with Ivey for one of Bridges, Markkanen or Murray.

The problem with moving Ivey+pick is that it creates another hole, but...you could fill that by throwing a bag at Monk, who I wanted previously.

The team needs a starting 4, and adding bridges, although great, would immediately bench Ausar.

Ivey+pick has to be for a starting 4, as his position can be more easily filled.

Cade/Sasser
Monk/Grimes
Ausar/FA
Trade/Tek
Duren/Stewart

Depending on who that 4 is, that's a damn good, young team on the rise. I like Laurie, but if I'm being honest, and had my pick, I want a three-point shooting rim protector combo.

I wonder what the cost for JJJ would be. Just wondering. He would be amazing, but the price would probably be absurd.

Dejounte

Bridges can also play the 2 for the time being if you want to start Ausar. I just dont have the patience anymore for developing another kid, 2 or 3 young and dumb players are enough at a time.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,764

Post#309 » by zeebneeb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Cade/Sasser
Monk/Grimes
Ausar/FA
Trade/Tek
Duren/Stewart

Dejounte

Bridges can also play the 2 for the time being if you want to start Ausar. I just dont have the patience anymore for developing another kid, 2 or 3 young and dumb players are enough at a time.
We are in 100% agreement. Besides that, there is no way the Pistons can afford to pay 4 top 5 picks extensions, and still compete.

There has to be decisions made, and that pick has to be moved, or one of Ausar/Ivey/Duren has to go.

Its time to start truly rising, and put together an actual team. Yet another raw rookie just seems silly at this point.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#310 » by Canadafan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:48 pm

Yes, I'm down for that. I think Ivey can be replaced easier thru free agency if we can get Bridges or Markkanen.
I think our route to success will come with getting us a legit starting forward. I'd prefer to keep Ivey to do that but not sure that's possible
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#311 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:37 pm

Buzelis has had 4 blocks in his last 3 games along with double digit rebounds in 2 of the 3. His 3 ball is still not dropping but if it does he would be a good fit here at the 4 spot.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#312 » by NYPiston » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:10 am

tmorgan wrote:Ugh again. Any draft in which you can convince anyone that Reed Sheppard is the #1 overall pick is utter, complete garbage. Good lord. Trade the pick — in a package for Lauri, in a package for Mikal, or whatever. Just don’t take a limited shooter or a foreign player that hasn’t played against anyone and doesn’t in any way look exceptional.

This is a weak draft but not so weak that Reed Sheppard is going #1. He's probably a top 5 prospect in this draft though, which illustrates the weakness of it bad enough. There's just more "toolsy" players that will almost certainly go ahead of him.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#313 » by NYPiston » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Reed Sheppard will likely be an immediate upgrade to the starting lineup over Ivey. Hes undersized and not a + athlete but likely still is a going to bring more to the table on defense then Ivey whos never even averaged a full steal per game since highschool. Hes very high IQ, can be in the right spot, has good hands etc. Some guys have wingspan and elite athleticism but just dont have defensive IQ.

No question his offensive game will fit better with Cade. We need guys who can knock down shots and play off the ball. Esp with two complete zeros from 3pter in Ausar and Duren in the core pretty essential we have elite shooters in the backcourt. Reed is +50% from 3pter in the NCAA right now and the stroke is lovely.

This would allow us to move Ivey to the bench where he can be a high usage on ball guard. Hes just not effective off the ball but not good enough as a playmaker to take the ball out of Cades hands. Ofc we may use the top 5+Ivey to bring in a big time player which could be very exciting.

What you're describing is Dalton Knecht although he plays with the ball in his hands a lot at Tennessee. Guy is a deadly shooter and has NBA level moves in the mid range. Somewhat stiff athletically which limits him defensively but he's the best bucket getter in this draft if you want a pure scorer to pair with Cade.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#314 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:13 am

NYPiston wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Reed Sheppard will likely be an immediate upgrade to the starting lineup over Ivey. Hes undersized and not a + athlete but likely still .

What you're describing is Dalton Knecht although he plays with the ball in his hands a lot at Tennessee. Guy is a deadly shooter and has NBA level moves in the mid range. Somewhat stiff athletically which limits him defensively but he's the best bucket getter in this draft if you want a pure scorer to pair with Cade.

Not going to say I'm following every prospect closely or anything I dont watch Tenn at all. That said looking at mocks and big boards hes going more like late lotto and is a older guy 22 and turns 23 in April. Clearly productive but not breaking out until 4th year then transfers to a big school as 5th year senior is gonna push him down boards some.

Not arguing hes not a good player or fit or anything fwiw. Just moreso if you put a 22 yo neither high end athletes etc even if hes taller up vs a 19yo with these numbers gotta go young. Sheppard could potentially level up his handles and a few other things by time hes Knechts age and then hes really cooking.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:20 am

NYPiston wrote:

This is a weak draft but not so weak that Reed Sheppard is going #1. He's probably a top 5 prospect in this draft though, which illustrates the weakness of it bad enough. There's just more "toolsy" players that will almost certainly go ahead of him.

Which is why us drafting Sheppard is likely a pipe dream. Weaver is really into bigs and "'toolsy" type prospects.

To me aiming for ceiling is great when you're starting a rebuild. To me at this point though I'm just looking to get another good player that fits. Hence why I'd be open to just moving this pick with some other stuff to get a star depending on market.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:47 am

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Keegan Murray? Dejonte Murray?

We are in 100% agreement. Besides that, there is no way the Pistons can afford to pay 4 top 5 picks extensions, and still compete.

There has to be decisions made, and that pick has to be moved, or one of Ausar/Ivey/Duren has to go.

Its time to start truly rising, and put together an actual team. Yet another raw rookie just seems silly at this point.

This point is never considered by some fans. The idea of us just riding the "core 4" into the sunset and becoming the next Warriors also means they all will get big raises. I think expecting us to get a Curry,Klay,Draymond out of what we have is a pretty big stretch. Those guys had incredible synergy together their games really fit perfectly and Curry is a legend.

The other somewhat modern team blueprint of holding a bunch of lotto picks and contending I can think of is the Thunder. Thats where Troy is from. They had a Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka but let Harden walk due to cash(big mistake but neither here nor there). That team went from 20,23, to 50 by Durants year 3. I dont know if Weaver is thinking thats whats happening here but I think its a huge stretch with our guys turning into that if thats what Troy is trying to do here.

I do think we have a franchise player to build around in Cade here. I'm just looking to get a star next to him that has some synergy. To me I look at the Suns as a more realistic blueprint which funny enough had Monty as the coach. Remember they added CP3 a strong vet to a young core and became contenders and even had a 64 win season. Obv no title for them but getting their once means you at least had a fighting chance.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#317 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:09 am

Watching Colorado now, so hopefully Cody Williams shows something
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#318 » by A_dub06 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:57 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:We are in 100% agreement. Besides that, there is no way the Pistons can afford to pay 4 top 5 picks extensions, and still compete.

This point is never considered by some fans. The idea of us just riding the "core 4" into the sunset and becoming the next Warriors also means they all will get big raises. I think expecting us to get a Curry,Klay,Draymond out of what we have is a pretty big stretch. Those guys had incredible synergy together their games really fit perfectly and Curry is a legend.

The other somewhat modern team blueprint of holding a bunch of lotto picks and contending I can think of is the Thunder. Thats where Troy is from. They had a Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka but let Harden walk due to cash(big mistake but neither here nor there). That team went from 20,23, to 50 by Durants year 3. I dont know if Weaver is thinking thats whats happening here but I think its a huge stretch with our guys turning into that if thats what Troy is trying to do here.

I do think we have a franchise player to build around in Cade here. I'm just looking to get a star next to him that has some synergy. To me I look at the Suns as a more realistic blueprint which funny enough had Monty as the coach. Remember they added CP3 a strong vet to a young core and became contenders and even had a 64 win season. Obv no title for them but getting their once means you at least had a fighting chance.

I think the point that’s being overlooked by some is that the build via the draft camp realise that some players aren’t going to be what we hoped so in theory they aren’t going to cost much to resign making it doable. I don’t think Ivey in his current inconsistent state is worth a hell of a lot. I like the guy and think there’s an all-star calibre player buried in deep but him realising his potential and improving to that point is a big if.

But your point is also why I’m on the draft Sarr and trade Duren island. I think when the time comes Duren is going to command a bag he doesn’t deserve
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Post#319 » by bstein14 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:26 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

I think the point that’s being overlooked by some is that the build via the draft camp realise that some players aren’t going to be what we hoped so in theory they aren’t going to cost much to resign making it doable. I don’t think Ivey in his current inconsistent state is worth a hell of a lot. I like the guy and think there’s an all-star calibre player buried in deep but him realising his potential and improving to that point is a big if.

But your point is also why I’m on the draft Sarr and trade Duren island. I think when the time comes Duren is going to command a bag he doesn’t deserve

Ivey looks more like an MLE $ 6th man type after his four years of rookie contract are up.... Ausar hopefully works himself into MLE level 3&D type guy but he's not a star either if he develops he can become a good 4th or 5th starter on the team. I'm big on Duren, but even if he's a 17 and 13 center with a high TS% we aren't going to make the mistake of handing out a MAX deal to him like we did with Drummond. He would have to turn into an elite defensive anchor or incredibly expand his offensive skillset within the next year or two in order to get a huge pay day IMO. Being mostly just rebounding and dunking doesn't get you $25+ million per year even if you're a solid starter.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#320 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:51 pm

Sheppard is about to break Rondo's steals per game record at KY. He's also been doing all this off the bench.

Return to Detroit Pistons