These Sarr highlights make me wet

You should see a doctor.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,807

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#262 » by theBigLip » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:59 pm

bstein14 wrote:We have 8 "keepers" in that 7 of those guys are under contract for us next season and 1 is a RFA we just gave up a draft pick for and has mostly played well.
Cade + Grimes (1 more year than RFA)
Ivey + Duren (2 more years than RFA)
Ausar + Sasser (3 more years than RFA)
Stew (Four more years at flat $15 million per)
Font = RFA this summer with a low cap hold so we can use space first and then go over the cap to resign if reasonable contract.

All those guys are "keepers" for the start of next season unless they are traded away.

I fear we might also bring back Wiseman but hopefully everyone else is gone.

The 9th "keeper" is obviously our pick if we keep it, and he'll be here under contract for four years or until traded away.

I'm big on focusing most of our playing time on those 8 guys that are likely going to be here next year don't care about anyone else playing at all.

C: Duren (33) / Wiseman (15)
F: Stew (33) / Ausar (15)
F: Ausar (18) / Front (30)
G: Ivey (33) / Grimes (15)
G: Cade (33) / Sasser (15)

I'd be down for a 9 man rotation that looks similar to that.... Wiseman gets those 15 minutes out of lack of other big man options but overall he's clearly the weakest part of that 9 man. I know we aren't going to bench Fournier though so more likely than not that means less minutes for some of the other guys who will actually be here next year.

Good summary. And these guys (plus 24 FRP) are all keepers. Free agency is unknown and we should do BPA for the draft. Curious what we do with:
- Wiseman - he’s still as young as Sasser and super athletic. I think we keep him, but I’m curious what he is going to get paid. $5M x 3?
- Fournier- I don’t think we’ll pick up his $19M option for next year but if we want some vets on the team, and we can get him cheap, does he stick? $5-10M range? I’m thinking we should just let him go.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#263 » by bstein14 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:30 pm

theBigLip wrote:
bstein14 wrote:We have 8 "keepers" in that 7 of those guys are under contract for us next season and 1 is a RFA we just gave up a draft pick for and has mostly played well.
Font = RFA this summer with a low cap hold so we can use space first and then go over the cap to resign if reasonable contract.

All those guys are "keepers" for the start of next season unless they are traded away.

The 9th "keeper" is obviously our pick if we keep it, and he'll be here under contract for four years or until traded away.

I'm big on focusing most of our playing time on those 8 guys that are likely going to be here next year don't care about anyone else playing at all.

I'd be down for a 9 man rotation that looks similar to that.... Wiseman gets those 15 minutes out of lack of other big man options but overall he's clearly the weakest part of that 9 man. I know we aren't going to bench Fournier though so more likely than not that means less minutes for some of the other guys who will actually be here next year.

Good summary. And these guys (plus 24 FRP) are all keepers. Free agency is unknown and we should do BPA for the draft. Curious what we do with:
- Wiseman - he’s still as young as Sasser and super athletic. I think we keep him, but I’m curious what he is going to get paid. $5M x 3?
- Fournier- I don’t think we’ll pick up his $19M option for next year but if we want some vets on the team, and we can get him cheap, does he stick? $5-10M range? I’m thinking we should just let him go.

Unless Fournier plays really good for us we should let him go IMO. We do have the option after using all our cap space to add one more player for about $16 million total over 2 years via the "Room Expception" and that player likely should be a good vet that will be maybe the guy pushing Grimes/Sasser for the 10th spot in the rotation. I don't think we should be giving anything to anyone moving forward we could likely get a solid 8th/9th man for that 2 year $16 million contract we should get someone that's going to push the young guys for a rotation spot. Being 11 deep with all our injury problems also not a bad idea for us.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,908

Post#264 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:26 pm

Just trade Ivey and take Reed. He's a offensive stud who also plays defense
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,275

Post#265 » by vege » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:02 pm

bstein14 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Unless Fournier plays really good for us we should let him go IMO. We do have the option after using all our cap space to add one more player for about $16 million total over 2 years via the "Room Expception" and that player likely should be a good vet that will be maybe the guy pushing Grimes/Sasser for the 10th spot in the rotation. I don't think we should be giving anything to anyone moving forward we could likely get a solid 8th/9th man for that 2 year $16 million contract we should get someone that's going to push the young guys for a rotation spot. Being 11 deep with all our injury problems also not a bad idea for us.

We only won 9 games, and a lot of those losses were blow out losses, and you guys really think we should bring back the same rotation :crazy:

They do not fit together, some are ok players, other's are just bad but in the right situation they can develop, this is not the right situation.

If Weaver is back, and he likely will be back, yeah, that's what's going to happen, and he will do a couple of dumb moves to save his job, but in an ideal world, he would be fired, and the new GM would burn the house down and start from the scratch.

9 wins is unnaceptable regardless of how you want to see it and who you want to blame for it.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,275

Post#266 » by vege » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:13 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Just trade Ivey and take Reed. He's a offensive stud who also plays defense

It would be nice to have a guard that plays defense.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#267 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:38 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Just trade Ivey and take Reed. He's a offensive stud who also plays defense
[youtube]wGzyoutube]

Yeah I was missing how good this kid is. I rather scoop him then these French guys. Hyper efficient offense and good defense. Kid has star upside and would have great synergy with Cade.

I honestly dont think hes a Weaver type pick though. Weaver surely taking Sarr if he gets the chance.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#268 » by mattao313 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:54 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
[youtube]wGzyoutube]

Yeah I was missing how good this kid is. I rather scoop him then these French guys. Hyper efficient offense and good defense. Kid has star upside and would have great synergy with Cade.

I honestly dont think hes a Weaver type pick though. Weaver surely taking Sarr if he gets the chance.
Sheppard is nice but I would definitely take Sarr over him sheppard is high floor but Sarr game just on the defensive side is very valuable. Switchy 7 foot shot blocker with a budding modern offensive game.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#269 » by Piston Pete » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:29 am

Yup.

Take Sarr

Trade Duren for a legit stretch-4 who plays at least decent defense.

Ivey
Cade
Ausar
New PF
Sarr
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#270 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:10 am

mattao313 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
[youtube]wGzyoutube]

Sheppard is nice but I would definitely take Sarr over him sheppard is high floor but Sarr game just on the defensive side is very valuable. Switchy 7 foot shot blocker with a budding modern offensive game.

Personally I dont buy his offensive game at all in current form. Hes gonna take alot of development. Hes the ceiling pick but at this point of the rebuild Im fine taking a player with a higher floor.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#271 » by MotownMadness » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Risacher
Sarr
Dillingham
Topic
Sheppard
Buzelis
Williams
Walter
Clingan
Salaun
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#272 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:57 pm

MotownMadness wrote:[t4[/tweet
Risacher
Sarr
Dillingham
Topic
Sheppard
Buzelis
Williams
Walter
Clingan
Salaun

I want Sheppard. Problem is I have no faith in Weaver taking the BAP in this sort of draft where we dont have an automatic consensus. Also WEaver values things like big man and athleticism much more the basketball IQ and shooitng which are traits Reed has.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#273 » by MotownMadness » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:00 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:[t4[/tweet
Risacher
Sarr
Dillingham
Topic
Sheppard
Buzelis
Williams
Walter
Clingan
Salaun

I want Sheppard. Problem is I have no faith in Weaver taking the BAP in this sort of draft where we dont have an automatic consensus. Also WEaver values things like big man and athleticism much more the basketball IQ and shooitng which are traits Reed has.

He certainly looks like the most impactful NBA rotation player. I really like him but doubt we take him.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#274 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:11 am

vege wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

We only won 9 games, and a lot of those losses were blow out losses, and you guys really think we should bring back the same rotation :crazy:

If Weaver is back, and he likely will be back, yeah, that's what's going to happen, and he will do a couple of dumb moves to save his job, but in an ideal world, he would be fired, and the new GM would burn the house down and start from the scratch.

If you pay attention, we were discussing what’s going to happen this summer as we add some new starters in the rotation. No one is expecting us to run back the same roster :crazy:

And no, Weaver is not getting fired and a new GM wouldn’t want to burn everything down. We have one of the better young rosters with no bad contracts and $70M to spend this summer. A new GM would be pretty happy about that. What they would hate, for example, is being handed the Bulls roster. Bad contracts, stuck in mediocrity, long road out.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#275 » by bstein14 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:41 pm

I will also say I'm fine with bringing in 3 new players (either 3 FAs or 2 FAs and a draft pick. Just because we have 8 players coming back it doesn't mean those 8 should all be rotation played. If one's the 11th guy just outside the rotation that's fine with me we need more competition and less things being handed out.

Ideally we have 8 players coming back (7 under contract and then we resign Font) and we have 7 new players on the roster which is a pretty decent sized roster turnover even if most of the rotation comes back. Some of those rotation guys (Font & Grimes) have barely been here so its like they are new and some (Ausar and Sasser) will be 2nd year guys. So only Cade/Duren/Stew/Ivey will have been here with this team since 2022. . That is quite a bit of turnover from where we ended last year. Its not like we should just be dumping people for the sake of dumping people that was the right move with Hayes, Wiseman, Livers, Bagley, etc.... makes no sense with who we have left.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,202

Post#276 » by NYPiston » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:03 pm

mattao313 wrote:Sheppard is nice but I would definitely take Sarr over him sheppard is high floor but Sarr game just on the defensive side is very valuable. Switchy 7 foot shot blocker with a budding modern offensive game.

Sarr is precisely the type of player that Weaver loves. "Toolsy" player with raw athleticism and length. I'm not a fan because he's just another kid that can't shoot on a team that....can't shoot in what is a shooting/scoring league but there's a lot of tools there in a really weak top end draft so I wouldn't hate it.
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#277 » by NYPiston » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:06 pm

theBigLip wrote:
If you pay attention, we were discussing what’s going to happen this summer as we add some new starters in the rotation. No one is expecting us to run back the same roster :crazy:

And no, Weaver is not getting fired and a new GM wouldn’t want to burn everything down. We have one of the better young rosters with no bad contracts and $70M to spend this summer. A new GM would be pretty happy about that. What they would hate, for example, is being handed the Bulls roster. Bad contracts, stuck in mediocrity, long road out.

I'm not seeing this, what makes you think that this is one of the best young rosters? OKC has one of the best young rosters, Orlando has one of the best young rosters, Indiana. The Pistons just have a collection of young talented players at this point that are just thrown together in a pile not knowing who fits where, not one is what I'd consider an above average NBA starter right now outside of MAYBE Cade.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#278 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:01 pm

NYPiston wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I'm not seeing this, what makes you think that this is one of the best young rosters? OKC has one of the best young rosters, Orlando has one of the best young rosters, Indiana. The Pistons just have a collection of young talented players at this point that are just thrown together in a pile not knowing who fits where, not one is what I'd consider an above average NBA starter right now outside of MAYBE Cade.

Agree on OKC and Orlando. And agree on a “fit” issue. And a lot of teams have one great young player. But Cade, Duren, Ivey, Thompson and our 2024 pick could all be stars. Add in Grimes, Sassar and Stewart, and that’s a lot of quality youth on one roster.
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#279 » by NYPiston » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:56 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Agree on OKC and Orlando. And agree on a “fit” issue. And a lot of teams have one great young player. But Cade, Duren, Ivey, Thompson and our 2024 pick could all be stars. Add in Grimes, Sassar and Stewart, and that’s a lot of quality youth on one roster.

They are talented but I wouldn't consider them quality until they prove they're quality, you know what I mean?
If you look at the other young guys on other teams. SGA, J. Williams, Chet, Banchero, Wagner, Hailburton etc. These guys are proven, quality young players. They're all above average NBA starters. The Pistons have talented guys that can turn into quality eventually but right now, they're bad NBA players except for Cade but even Cade is pretty much average because his defense is bad to be quite frank.

To make a long story short, I have a hard time calling them one of the better young teams until they actually prove to be. As of right now, it's just some talented guys thrown together that are struggling with the NBA game leading a 9 win team.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#280 » by theBigLip » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:01 am

NYPiston wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

They are talented but I wouldn't consider them quality until they prove their quality, you know what I mean?
If you look at the other young guys on other teams. SGA, J. Williams, Chet, Banchero, Wagner, Hailburton etc. These guys are proven, quality young players. They're all above average NBA starters. The Pistons have talented guys that can turn into quality eventually but right now, they're bad NBA players except for Cade but even Cade is pretty much average because his defense is bad to be quite frank.

To make a long story short, I have a hard time calling them one of the better young teams until they actually prove to be. As of right now, it's just some talented guys thrown together that are struggling with the NBA game leading a 9 win team.

The guys you listed are OKC and Orlando guys. I agree they have better “young” rosters. Chet and Paolo could be ours if the ping pong balls were kinder to us. Not a reflection on Weaver.

Also, your opinion is in the minority on Cade. He’s not average. You look at any list of player evaluations and he’s solid. Duren pops up pretty high as well. He’s not “bad” as you called him. How many other 19 year olds in the entire league would you rather have? That list isn’t long.

Return to Detroit Pistons