ImageImageImage

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,184

Re: I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#561 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:12 pm

Cowology wrote:
Other than people questioning his overall decision making ability, what specifically makes you think he's going to hand out a LaVine type deal? The money spent on Wiseman/Bagley/Stew combined was kinda atrocious, but nothing crippling or honestly all that bad compared to most other teams. We're still flexible. If anything the Joe Harris type deals show he's had an aversion to spending poorly and he's been overly cautious with any long-term cap implications. He even came off Hayes/Bey shortly before their rookie contracts expired.

He could make a poor decision, but I don't think we've seen anything in FA signing history to make me think this is an automatic L. He's clearly been planning and prepping for... something. Maybe it was a mandate. Maybe he's just leaving room for future extensions. Maybe he's going to make an actual splash in FA and push the team forward. I really don't know, but I don't have any reason to think he's automatically going to go out and blow it. If anything I think it more likely we continue to do nothing.

Desperation does funny things to people.
There was a clear directive to rebuild the last 3 seasons so there was zero pressure on Weaver to make a big splash. I don't know what Gores is thinking but knowing the type of man I think he is, I'd wager a guess that he's getting very impatient behind the scenes and is going to push for a big move to expedite the process. We already saw this coming into play when he stepped over Weaver to put the full court press on for Monty.
I can only imagine, after the arguably the worst season in Pistons history, that the impatience has ratcheted up tenfold this offseason. There's no way that Weaver or whoever is in charge is going to largely sit on that cap space this offseason. I don't know if it'll be LaVine but a big ticket contract is almost assuredly being brought in.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,791

Post#562 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:02 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Cowology wrote:
Other than people questioning his overall decision making ability, what specifically makes you think he's going to hand out a LaVine type deal? The money spent on Wiseman/Bagley/Stew combined was kinda atrocious, but nothing crippling or honestly all that bad compared to most other teams. We're still flexible. If anything the Joe Harris type deals show he's had an aversion to spending poorly and he's been overly cautious with any long-term cap implications. He even came off Hayes/Bey shortly before their rookie contracts expired.

He could make a poor decision, but I don't think we've seen anything in FA signing history to make me think this is an automatic L. He's clearly been planning and prepping for... something. Maybe it was a mandate. Maybe he's just leaving room for future extensions. Maybe he's going to make an actual splash in FA and push the team forward. I really don't know, but I don't have any reason to think he's automatically going to go out and blow it. If anything I think it more likely we continue to do nothing.

Desperation does funny things to people.
There was a clear directive to rebuild the last 3 seasons so there was zero pressure on Weaver to make a big splash. I don't know what Gores is thinking but knowing the type of man I think he is, I'd wager a guess that he's getting very impatient behind the scenes and is going to push for a big move to expedite the process. We already saw this coming into play when he stepped over Weaver to put the full court press on for Monty.
I can only imagine, after the arguably the worst season in Pistons history, that the impatience has ratcheted up tenfold this offseason. There's no way that Weaver or whoever is in charge is going to largely sit on that cap space this offseason. I don't know if it'll be LaVine but a big ticket contract is almost assuredly being brought in.

Agree that there is pressure building. And certainly agree that Weaver is not going to just sit on the cap space, nor do a Harris-kick it down the road move either.

The question is who and how much? Do we do 3 good players x $20M each? 2 better players at $30M each? One great player at $40M+ and then work around the edges at MLE level guys? I just hope it’s not a LaVine/Harris disaster in waiting. Target guys 25-30, if we go older, then very short deals.

Interestingly, Wiseman will probably be the first decision. IIRC, his cap hold is $30M. So either he is released or signed for something relatively cheap.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Fontecchio can be extended when we’re all done with other moves and go over the cap to do so.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,476

Post#563 » by Canadafan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Dejounte Murray is averaging 25 9.3apg to 3.1tov 5.5reb 2.1 steals and averaging 38% from 3pt on 9attempts per game in the 15 games since Trae Young went out.

The Hawks offered us him for Duren+Ivey this deadline and Troy shut that down. Murray is on a really team friendly deal over the next 3 seasons too. Surely we wont be having another crack at him for that price. Troy misses again!

I think the news reports said Ausar + Ivey if that changes the equation at all.

I'm a Murray fan but he wouldn't be putting up those numbers alongside Cade. Still, he was a gettable star and I doubt he will be on the market again anytime soon.

How about Ivey, our lotto pick andddd....the great beef Stew! :P
More I think about it the more id luv Murray and Cade together.
Maybe taking on Hunters contract with Murray helps. Hunter Murray for Ivey and lotto pick. We'd still have $20million in space.
Duren Stew
Hunter Ausar Fontecchio
Cade Murray
$20million in space
Sasser Grimes Wiseman towel wavers
Or, take on Hunter and Capella for Stew(Or duren)Ivey lotto pick
:crazy:

Return to Detroit Pistons