ImageImageImage

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Re: I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#481 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:34 am

LOL even non Pistons fans know the plan

Read on Twitter
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#482 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:35 am

Pretty fail by Weaver trading Kennard for Bey. I'd of way preferred having our OG draft pick that blazes 3s then Bey and now Wiseman.

Kennard has missed some games over that time but hes legit one of the best shooters in the game. He led the league in 3pt % in 22-23 at 49% on 4.6 attempts thats nuts. This year hes shooting 46% on 6 attempts per.

Grizz beat the Nets with Kennard as by far their best player starting. They had a starting lineup of Vince Williams,Santi Almada,Trey Jamison,and John Konchar. Nets were their full lineup. Stings when we have 9 wins on the season and you see Luke Kennard capable of carrying a team of Gleaguers to a win.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies-brooklyn-nets-2024030417/

Read on Twitter
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Post#483 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:44 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Pretty fail by Weaver trading Kennard for Bey. I'd of way preferred having our OG draft pick that blazes 3s then Bey and now Wiseman.

Kennard has missed some games over that time but hes legit one of the best shooters in the game. He led the league in 3pt % in 22-23 at 49% on 4.6 attempts thats nuts. This year hes shooting 46% on 6 attempts per.

Grizz beat the Nets with Kennard as by far their best player starting. They had a starting lineup of Vince Williams,Santi Almada,Trey Jamison,and John Konchar. Nets were their full lineup. Stings when we have 9 wins on the season and you see Luke Kennard capable of carrying a team of Gleaguers to a win.

Read on Twitter

Grizz have a team option on him at $14.7 million it'll be interesting to see if he's a FA this summer or if they pick it up. It feels like they will most likely go in a different direction with that money.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#484 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:54 pm

bstein14 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Pretty fail by Weaver trading Kennard for Bey. I'd of way preferred having our OG draft pick that blazes 3s then Bey and now Wiseman.

Grizz have a team option on him at $14.7 million it'll be interesting to see if he's a FA this summer or if they pick it up. It feels like they will most likely go in a different direction with that money.

They gave up 3 2nds to get him just last deadline. That said their pretty tight for cap. Projected for less then taxpayer MLE to be available.

From Feb 24 on salary cap projection situations on the athletic:

Memphis Grizzlies
Shipping Adams to the Rockets opened up some breathing room under the tax, but the Grizzlies will still likely have to choose between picking up their team option on Luke Kennard or having the nontaxpayer MLE. They do not even have much non-essential salary on the books at this point, and remember, they traded both Adams and Xavier Tillman at the deadline, so their center spot is stunningly shallow.

https://theathletic.com/5262691/2024/02/10/nba-salary-cap-2024-25-season/
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Post#485 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:33 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

They gave up 3 2nds to get him just last deadline. That said their pretty tight for cap. Projected for less then taxpayer MLE to be available.

From Feb 24 on salary cap projection situations on the athletic:

Memphis Grizzlies
Shipping Adams to the Rockets opened up some breathing room under the tax, but the Grizzlies will still likely have to choose between picking up their team option on Luke Kennard or having the nontaxpayer MLE. They do not even have much non-essential salary on the books at this point, and remember, they traded both Adams and Xavier Tillman at the deadline, so their center spot is stunningly shallow.

https://theathletic.com/5262691/2024/02/10/nba-salary-cap-2024-25-season/

Yes, it depends on what they think they could get with the full MLE versus the taxpayer MLE this summer.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#486 » by Invictus88 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Everyone who was looking saw great potential with Kennard when he was drafted. (Even while a lot preferred Mitchell)

Everyone who was looking saw how pure his shot looked as the ball would get nothing but net seemingly every time.

And everyone who was looking would see shot after beautiful shot.... that he would pass up... seemingly for no reason at times.... over and over and over again.

Everyone who was looking in the crowd and everyone looking at their TV would yell "Shoot it!" when he got the ball on the perimeter; only to witness pass after pass after pass.

Everyone who was looking was sad at the missed opportunity when we traded Kennard for a newly drafted Saddiq Bey (who?) but understood not wanting to pay 16-20 million per year for a sharpshooter who wouldn't shoot.

And everyone who was looking then saw Bey hoist up three after three (for a decent percentage) his first year quickly praised the management and forgot all about the non-shooting Kennard.

What were you looking at while he was here?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#487 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:20 pm

Invictus88 wrote:

?

I was happy with the trade year one as well. The thing is you dont really know the results of a trade until a few years down the line. Now I know the full results of the trade and it was a trade we lost.

Said trade turned into Bey who peaked year one. He was a old rookie at 21 so likely part of why he never leveled up. Ofc if Weaver was better at drafting we could of landed a Maxey and everything looks different now. Then we turned Bey into the awfulness that is James Wiseman rather then the 5 2nd rounders on the table to double down on the losing trade.

Also the money really doesnt matter. Luke got a contract of 14mill per year. We paid Marvin Bagley 12.5 mill per year. Wiseman is getting 12mill. We traded for a injured version of Luke Kennard this offseason in Joe Harris who makes 20mill per year.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#488 » by Invictus88 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:35 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

?

I was happy with the trade year one as well. The thing is you dont really know the results of a trade until a few years down the line. Now I know the full results of the trade and it was a trade we lost.

Said trade turned into Bey who peaked year one. He was a old rookie at 21 so likely part of why he never leveled up. Ofc if Weaver was better at drafting we could of landed a Maxey and everything looks different now. Then we turned Bey into the awfulness that is James Wiseman rather then the 5 2nd rounders on the table to double down on the losing trade.

Also the money really doesnt matter. Luke got a contract of 14mill per year. We paid Marvin Bagley 12.5 mill per year. Wiseman is getting 12mill. We traded for a injured version of Luke Kennard this offseason in Joe Harris who makes 20mill per year.

Even 4 years ago the sizes of contracts / cap space was vastly different in magnitude than what they are now. Trying to normalize what we paid back then by equating it with what we are paying today is either a sign of ignorance (at best) or being purposely deceptive (at worst).

What we ended up doing with Bey years afterwards has literally nothing to do with evaluating the Kennard - Bey trade. It's not like there was a master plan at the time of the trade to eventually land Wiseman. The method of conflating a bunch of completely separate transactions to substantiate a narrative just reeks of bias.

Even years later it's still debatable which one of Kennard and Bey actually benefits their team more. They both score about the same amount. Bey at a worse percentage but with higher volume but with more rebounds. Kennard shoots a great percentage but still at a frustratingly low volume.

Finally, you cherry pick a singular game as justification why the trade was bad. Lots of truly awful players (even Killian) have had singular great games. But without consistency it means nothing.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#489 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:41 am

Invictus88 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
?

Even 4 years ago the sizes of contracts / cap space was vastly different in magnitude than what they are now. Trying to normalize what we .

Disagree what you do with a player that you trade for or draft after getting them does matter. Players are assets what you turn them into is important. If we turned Bey into something valuable then the trade upgraded the team instead it downgraded us twice.

Kennard would of been more valuable for our team. We have severely lacked spacing over the years. We even went as far as trading for Joe Harris who made 20 mill this season who is a similar player to Kennard.

It wasnt this single game that is the reason. This trade was a loss long before it. This game is just another remainder of the trade being a fail. Another losing move by Troy.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#490 » by 440BB » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:13 pm

In the 2019 season, Luke Kennard played in only 28 games before the knee pain he said started in the off season forced the Pistons to shut him down. Tendinitis in both knees and the possibility he would continue to be limited were big factors in moving Kennard. Most thought it was a prudent move at the time given his health.

The Clippers took a risk giving him that contract, but he ended up pretty healthy for the next couple seasons. That risk made sense for a contender, not for the rebuilding Pistons.

This season, Kennard has only been available for 31 games, with knee issues being the main problem.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#491 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 am

Dejounte Murray is averaging 25 9.3apg to 3.1tov 5.5reb 2.1 steals and averaging 38% from 3pt on 9attempts per game in the 15 games since Trae Young went out.

The Hawks offered us him for Duren+Ivey this deadline and Troy shut that down. Murray is on a really team friendly deal over the next 3 seasons too. Surely we wont be having another crack at him for that price. Troy misses again!
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#492 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Dejounte Murray is averaging 25 9.3apg to 3.1tov 5.5reb 2.1 steals and averaging 38% from 3pt on 9attempts per game in the 15 games since Trae Young went out.

The Hawks offered us him for Duren+Ivey this deadline and Troy shut that down. Murray is on a really team friendly deal over the next 3 seasons too. Surely we wont be having another crack at him for that price. Troy misses again!

I think the news reports said Ausar + Ivey if that changes the equation at all.

I'm a Murray fan but he wouldn't be putting up those numbers alongside Cade. Still, he was a gettable star and I doubt he will be on the market again anytime soon.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#493 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:18 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Dejounte Murray is averaging 25 9.3apg to 3.1tov 5.5reb 2.1 steals and averaging 38% from 3pt on 9attempts per game in the 15 games since Trae Young went out.

I think the news reports said Ausar + Ivey if that changes the equation at all.

I'm a Murray fan but he wouldn't be putting up those numbers alongside Cade. Still, he was a gettable star and I doubt he will be on the market again anytime soon.

Nah doesnt change it I'd still rather have Murray. I like Ausar but he cant shoot the 3ball. Their really isnt too many players that went from 60% FT 20% 3pt shooters to +shooters from age 20 on. Like I'm not trying to trade him like I am Ivey but if it lands me an impact player I'm moving him.

Yeah he wouldnt be putting up that high of numbers but he still can put up good numbers. Pre Atlantas scheme he was a All NBA defensive player. For under 30mill per season you're not finding this level of player on the market.

Agreed he wont be on the market this offseason. Its been rumored that Atlanta is going to try to trade Trae and build around Murray instead now. The Murray ship has sailed.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#494 » by Canadafan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 pm

Ya I'm wanting a true PG. Whether that's a very capable backup vet or a starter which moves Cade to SF or a starter and we move Cade to SG and trade Ivey. Just get me a guy to help Cade.
PG and starting PF let's goooo
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#495 » by keepitrealhomes » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm

Where did you see that the hawks offered that?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#496 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:20 pm

keepitrealhomes wrote:

Where did you see that the hawks offered that?

James Edwards reported team sources told him the Hawks reached out with the offer pre trade deadline.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#497 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:56 pm

Ivey cant have much value around the league
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#498 » by vege » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:02 pm

Whoever is still defending this guy is a piece of **** person.

Whoever is still watching this team play is an imbecile.

If you think this guy is going to fix this mess, WAKE UP, stop being delusional.

Read on Twitter
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#499 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:34 pm

Weaver = Lets trade 2 good players for a player with bad knees.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#500 » by theBigLip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:47 pm

440BB wrote:In the 2019 season, Luke Kennard played in only 28 games before the knee pain he said started in the off season forced the Pistons to shut him down. Tendinitis in both knees and the possibility he would continue to be limited were big factors in moving Kennard. Most thought it was a prudent move at the time given his health.

The Clippers took a risk giving him that contract, but he ended up pretty healthy for the next couple seasons. That risk made sense for a contender, not for the rebuilding Pistons.

This season, Kennard has only been available for 31 games, with knee issues being the main problem.

This. A lot of posts just ignore this point. Kennard isn’t the most athletic guy to begin with and then add in a significant knee injury? That’s a smart trade to do.

Return to Detroit Pistons