ImageImageImage

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Re: I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#421 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:58 am

vege wrote:We could have signed Grant Williams this offseason. Weaver thought it was a better idea spend more money to acquire Joe Harris, or to trade for Monte Morris so he could donate him to Minny for less than what he paid to acquire him in the first place.

And some people still think Weaver is going to build a good team/roster this offseason. A dumbass even insulted me for pointing out how bad our situation around here is.

I mean, people think Fontecchio is a good defender, so I don't know what else need to happen for people to wake up and face reality. Weaver is the worst GM to ever run a franchise in the NBA, and there were some bad ones in NBA history.

Read on Twitter

You mean we could have overpaid for Grant Williams this summer, like Dallas did. Just because he's had a few games with Charlotte doesn't mean that was a good signing, or a missed opportunity by us.

Weaver is not even close to the "worst GM of all time". If that's what you really believe, why do you torture yourself and stay on this board or pay attention to the Pistons at all?

Isiah and SVG were clearly worse GMs. Even Dumars is probably worse - Darko, CV and BG signings.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#422 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:11 am

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:We could wake up and face reality. Weaver is the worst GM to ever run a franchise in the NBA, and there were some bad ones in NBA history.

[t

You mean we could have overpaid for Grant Williams this summer, like Dallas did. Just because he's had a few games with Charlotte doesn't mean that was a good signing, or a missed opportunity by us.

Weaver is not even close to the "worst GM of all time". If that's what you really believe, why do you torture yourself and stay on this board or pay attention to the Pistons at all?

Isiah and SVG were clearly worse GMs. Even Dumars is probably worse - Darko, CV and BG signings.

Dumars was a good GM for a good portion of his tenure. He made some really good moves that got us a title and had us in contention for a long time.

The wasted pick on Darko was a huge mistake. If he uses that pick in any of Melo,Bosh, or D.Wade our title window stays open longer. Hell he could of traded it that pick was worth alot, I dont buy the "if we took Melo we might not of won the title thing". We had a vet team we could of easily used Melo in a way that would of kept us winning.

Then he took too long to blow it up as he himself as admitted. Then he gave away Billups for Iverson bad free agent deals etc.

Still gotta give him his credit for the title though he built a impressive contender that was good a long time. I will say he got real lucky esp on Ben Wallace that was just pure running good.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#423 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 am

Interesting reading the Knicks board, many of whom are upset at the early returns from the trade, one poster even calling it a "disaster". Burks has looked terrible since arriving there and Bojan has continued his usual play but his defensive shortcomings are noticeable. Meanwhile we got Grimes who looks like a big part of our future and the second rounders. And even Fournier has played pretty well so far (certainly better than Burks).

Fontecchio also looking like a smart pickup.

Weaver's tenure overall has been bad, but the trade deadline moves aren't looking so bad right now.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#424 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 am

theBigLip wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:Ahhh... I see what you mean. I don't begrudge Weaver having little projects and doing player development, because we need that -- we need player development in general. The moves for Knox and Bagley worked out as low-cost bench rotation, and what was stupid was what was done afterwards. Was anyone going to fight to give Bagley >MLE money long-term? After blowing a load on Bagley, why did we blow more load on Wiseman? THOSE are the dumb moves.

If you want to talk about Weaver's lack of trade savvy, not getting established young/youngish talent, Bojan and Burks for players who can't crack a rotation?? Really?! Grimes is a project at this point, somehow managing to regress big-time in a contract year. I'm just waiting for us to overpay on his contract extension or trade him mid-way next season. We made the Knicks look like geniuses with that move... thank you, Weave-boy.

So how much have you seen Grimes play? You are already complaining about Weaver overpaying him? WTF? I'm pretty sure he's a keeper.

Thus far, Grimes has had one good offensive quarter. Good D, but two games is a small sample size. One could argue that Grimes makes Ausar more expendable, except for the looming contract extension. We've got 20 games that are particularly meaningless, plus a few months, to decide if we want to give him a contract extension (which he may not take) or make him an RFA (which he might want if we're as dysfunctional as we appear to be).
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#425 » by vege » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:38 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:We could have signed Grant Williams this offseason. Weaver thought it was a better idea spend more money to acquire Joe Harris, or to trade for Monte Morris so he could donate him to Minny for less than what he paid to acquire him in the first place.

And some people still think Weaver is going to build a good team/roster this offseason. A dumbass even insulted me for pointing out how bad our situation around here is.

I mean, people think Fontecchio is a good defender, so I don't know what else need to happen for people to wake up and face reality. Weaver is the worst GM to ever run a franchise in the NBA, and there were some bad ones in NBA history.

Read on Twitter

Do you understand we had a 17 win season followed by a 8 win season so far and we're most of the way done with this season, and you're still making excuses for those seasons, oh the injuries, oh the bad luck. Wake up. We're bad. Weaver put us in this position.
vege
RealGM

Post#426 » by vege » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:40 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:We could wake up and face reality. Weaver is the worst GM to ever run a franchise in the NBA, and there were some bad ones in NBA history.

[t

Dumars was a good GM for a good portion of his tenure. He made some really good moves that got us a title and had us in contention for a long time.

The wasted pick on Darko was a huge mistake. If he uses that pick in any of Melo,Bosh, or D.Wade our title window stays open longer. Hell he could of traded it that pick was worth alot, I dont buy the "if we took Melo we might not of won the title thing". We had a vet team we could of easily used Melo in a way that would of kept us winning.

Then he took too long to blow it up as he himself as admitted. Then he gave away Billups for Iverson bad free agent deals etc.

Still gotta give him his credit for the title though he built a impressive contender that was good a long time. I will say he got real lucky esp on Ben Wallace that was just pure running good.

After Mr Davidson died, Dumars hands were tied up, he was forced to cut costs so the franchise could be sold.

It took him too long to break up that team, but comparing him to Troy **** Weaver is insane.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager

Post#427 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:40 pm

vege wrote:After Mr Davidson died, Dumars hands were tied up, he was forced to cut costs so the franchise could be sold.

It took him too long to break up that team, but comparing him to Troy **** Weaver is insane.

Bill Davidson didn't want to go over the cap even after we won a title. We'd probably have another title if we had more of a bench, like 2004. Tayshaun in particular was out of gas come playoff time, with our 7-man rotations and no backup SF.

What happened after he died was another atrocity, but Dumars had to watch pennies under Bill.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Post#428 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:07 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
vege wrote:After Mr Davidson died, Dumars hands were tied up, he was forced to cut costs so the franchise could be sold.

Bill Davidson didn't want to go over the cap even after we won a title. We'd probably have another title if we had more of a bench, like 2004. Tayshaun in particular was out of gas come playoff time, with our 7-man rotations and no backup SF.

What happened after he died was another atrocity, but Dumars had to watch pennies under Bill.

Yup, we 100% were selling out every night and we could have easily kept Ben Wallace and matched that Chicago offer if we were willing to pay the luxury tax. He was a great owner from 74 into the mid 90s during the bad boys area but he could/should have spent more during the Going to Work Era.

The Pistons only paid the luxury tax one time ever and it was the 03-04 championship season for $756k (they of course missed out on some money that season in tax payments from other teams).

The Charlotte Hornets and the Pelicans have never paid the luxury tax (no surprise MJ is cheap) and besides those two teams the Pistons are 28th dead last in luxury tax payment amounts.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#429 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:39 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Read on Twitter

Do you understand we had a 17 win season followed by a 8 win season so far and we're most of the way done with this season, and you're still making excuses for those seasons, oh the injuries, oh the bad luck. Wake up. We're bad. Weaver put us in this position.

I know our record. That’s not news. But that doesn’t mean Grant Williams would have been a good move.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#430 » by JNewton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:45 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:

Ouch, this brings back memories. I remember arguing this tirelessly on this very forum back in the mid 2000s, and getting attacked by the majority of posters and even some of the moderators here at the time for having the viewpoint that some tax should be paid to maximize the championship window. Still hurts, knowing then how fleeting those windows can be, and lo and behold, the misery that has come since.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#431 » by SuperBad » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:37 pm

We are terrible and the media is loving beating us down. But the Spurs with the great VW are on pace to loose 7 more games than last year, Washington is just as bad as us. Another big part of the slow rebuild is the result of the play in tournament, teams are trying harder to win, so compared to 10 years ago the climate is more competitive in the conferences 1-12 all the way up until April, a couple years of that and the lottery change has skewed the bottom feeders more towards the bottom with less ability to get out quickly.
vege
RealGM

Post#432 » by vege » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:52 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I know our record. That’s not news. But that doesn’t mean Grant Williams would have been a good move.

If instead of Joe Harris and Monte Morris (whom we ended up donating to Minny) we signed Grant Williams and Donte DiVivincenzo we would be a play in level team, with Ivey and Stew leading our 2nd unity with Burks and Cade/DDV/Bojan/Williams/Duren starting
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#433 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:40 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:

If instead of Joe Harris and Monte Morris (whom we ended up donating to Minny) we signed Grant Williams and Donte DiVivincenzo we would be a play in level team, with Ivey and Stew leading our 2nd unity with Burks and Cade/DDV/Bojan/Williams/Duren starting

Play in team because we add DDV & Grant Williams to the worst team in the league? :lol:

I didn’t know that you of all people had that much irrational optimism lol

Personally, I’m glad there’s extreme flexibility this offseason with tons of cap space rather than having $24M tied up in those 2 players on a lottery team.

If the team does worse with their acquisitions than DDV and William this offseason, maybe I’ll come around to your school of thought.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager

Post#434 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Monte Morris was the right idea. We unexpectedly got an injured guy doing in-game rehab. He's played a few games for Minny since, and he's improving since we last saw him (and no I don't think that he was sandbagging on us to get traded).
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#435 » by DBC10 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:24 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Play in team because we add DDV & Grant Williams to the worst team in the league? :lol:

Personally, I’m glad there’s extreme flexibility this offseason with tons of cap space rather than having $24M tied up in those 2 players on a lottery team.

If the team does worse with their acquisitions than DDV and William this offseason, maybe I’ll come around to your school of thought.

No kidding, vege is forgetting we have Monty managing the roster and would've still played Hayes and Livers significant minutes. And honestly, the butterfly effect is in effect as well, considering them being on this team would change everything

Again, Grant Williams underperformed under Luka, no way am I convinced that he can play with Cade even with him being out of his slump somewhat right now due to being in a new environment
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#436 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:58 pm

DBC10 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:

No kidding, vege is forgetting we have Monty managing the roster and would've still played Hayes and Livers significant minutes. And honestly, the butterfly effect is in effect as well, considering them being on this team would change everything

Again, Grant Williams underperformed under Luka, no way am I convinced that he can play with Cade even with him being out of his slump somewhat right now due to being in a new environment

The guy that acts like the situation is so bleak that there’s little to no hope thinks that DDV and Grant Williams will drag us to a play in spot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The worst play in team has 25 wins right now.

The Nets with Bridges & Cam Johnson have 22 wins.

Pretty hard to imagine those 2 causing us to TRIPLE our win total.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#437 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:17 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:

Monte Morris wasn’t a bad signing, but a bad result. No one knew he wouldn’t play basically all season. The fact that we got something for him was just a bonus.

Harris was just kicking our cap space down the road a year. We could have found a more productive expiring contract for sure, although we needed more shooting and historically he had been good at that. Alas, he was washed up.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#438 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

The guy that acts like the situation is so bleak that there’s little to no hope thinks that DDV and Grant Williams will drag us to a play in spot.

Good points. That being said, I wouldn’t mind Bridges and Johnson on our team. Not saying they get us to the play in, but would rather have them than Williams and DDV, the latter that I do like (and he’s much less expensive).
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#439 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:28 pm

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

Good points. That being said, I wouldn’t mind Bridges and Johnson on our team. Not saying they get us to the play in, but would rather have them than Williams and DDV, the latter that I do like (and he’s much less expensive).

I’d absolutely love Bridges and possibly Johnson. I wasn’t knocking them, just pointing out their win total.

The other thing is that if the Knicks & Mavs had to pay DDV & Grant Williams $24M/ per, what would the Pistons have to spend to outbid winning organizations in more desirable markets, $30M per?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#440 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:59 pm

theBigLip wrote:

Read on Twitter

Outside of obvious troll type posts, this underlined statement is EASILY the worst take I have ever seen on this website in the 16 years that I've been a member.

Dumars took over a roster that wasn't exactly flush with talent, yet elevated his team from a non playoff team to making the Eastern Conference Finals in only two years. He won a championship in his 4th season, and the following year taking the Finals to a game 7.

Overall Joe's teams had 7 consecutive 50+ win seasons with one 64 win season, 7 consecutive ECF's, 2 Finals appearances, and 1 championship.

Meanwhile, bum ass Troy Weaver has failed to eclipse 23 wins in his 4 years on the job. This despite having a #7 pick, #1 pick, #5 pick, another #5 pick, and gobs of cap space every summer.

A more simplistic way to compare:
Dumars won a championship in year 4.
Weaver fielded one of the worst teams in NBA history in year 4.

Troy Weaver is not even in the same galaxy of a GM that Dumars was. As I said above, saying Dumars was worse is EASILY the worst take I've ever seen.

Return to Detroit Pistons