ImageImageImage

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#1 » by zeebneeb » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:02 am

The title says it all. You just can't keep this up. The team is a laughing stock, and a complete mess.

The time has come.

Commiserate away.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Re: I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:20 am

You've done a lot of speaking highly of how Cade/Duren are going to be great players... future stars... if that's true then Weaver probably deserves his job at least to see out this trade deadline and finish out this season. If that's not true, then he probably deserves to get canned.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#3 » by vege » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:41 am

bstein14 wrote:You've done a lot of speaking highly of how Cade/Duren are going to be great players... future stars... if that's true then Weaver probably deserves his job at least to see out this trade deadline and finish out this season. If that's not true, then he probably deserves to get canned.

Not really. Cade and Duren are very talented and they have a great future ahead of them, they're still young players that need to be developed and Weaver created a toxic enviroment and he is making it a lot harder for them to develop than it should be.

Weaver needed to be fired a few years ago. It may be too late now, and we might have to nuke everything and restart from 0, because our talented young players have a ton of bad habits and it's hard to remove those bad habits.

Almost 10 years ago I was a League of Legends coach (eSports) I had a young team with some very promissing young players (one of them ended up winning the national league and playing several worlds fwiw).

Back there, competitive league of legends didn't give the players (and myself) enough money to pay our bills, what most of my players would do to make some money out of their talent was called elo boost, which is login into someone else's account someone who's a much lower rank than you, play a bunch of matches, against weak players, and raise that account's rank.

Over time, they developed a ton of bad habits, becuase no matter how bad they would play, they were so much better than anyone else they were playing against (and with) that they would win. Most of those guys ended up not being successful competitive players. They were all very talented, only one of them ended up having success in his career, and it took a few years longer than it should've.

I ended up dumping the entire team, starting a team from the scratch, with less talented players, and ended up having a lot of succes, because they would do everything I would tell them to do, and they wanted to improve as players.

Monty have been doing a **** job as a coach, but he talked about bad habits and he said he was trying to change our culture. In our first 3 games, we were different, something happened and we went back to be a bunch of losers.

Tellem and Weaver are the responsable for this, and they need to go. Gores also need to go.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:16 am

Cade and Duren have a bright future. I’m not sure it’s with us though.

This situation is so toxic and broken I feel like we might have more than one “man, this guys great, thank god he got out of that horrible Detroit situation” type of narratives looking years down the line.

At this point I say just chop all/almost all of it away and start over. This tree is rotten to its roots.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#5 » by zeebneeb » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:28 am

bstein14 wrote:You've done a lot of speaking highly of how Cade/Duren are going to be great players... future stars... if that's true then Weaver probably deserves his job at least to see out this trade deadline and finish out this season. If that's not true, then he probably deserves to get canned.
Sure, whatever man.

Make it about that.

You live to **** on Piston players, so fire away, I don't give a flying ****.

Your the smart one, maybe you should be the GM.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#6 » by DBC10 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:32 am

It always starts at the top. And you work your way down the totem pole chopping it all down if need be

Until Gores gives a damn and actually cares about the team ie not giving guys like Tellem & his Plat equity friends who have no idea how to run a sports organization. We will continue to be bad until a huge stroke of luck strikes like a LeBron type of guy being born in Detroit and we somehow draft him

I'm telling you guys to strap in for a while now. And watch other teams just to make sure you don't lose faith in the game of basketball
mr23frahee
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#7 » by mr23frahee » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:38 am

Weaver isn't getting fired. Monty isn't going anywhere. Duren is going to be out for a long time. We will somehow win another game this year.

But no way in hell Cade is staying here more than a day after he signs his extension. This is a dumpster fire, and nothing will fix it. Not because of one person, or one player, or one decision. It's a massive collection of ****. It's an entire environment and culture of ****.

We can demand someone's head, demand "some" move because it makes us feel better. But nothing will REALLY change, it'll just be a slightly different shape of ****. Welcome to hell.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#8 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:53 am

Damn this car has been in the shop for 3 years now. Went to check on it today. The parts are newer but the car still sucks. Hired a very expensive driver though. I was told I was getting a restore and so far all I see is a scam.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:56 am

mr23frahee wrote:Weaver isn't getting fired. Monty isn't going anywhere. Duren is going to be out for a long time. We will somehow win another game this year.

But no way in hell Cade is staying here more than a day after he signs his extension. This is a dumpster fire, and nothing will fix it. Not because of one person, or one player, or one decision. It's a massive collection of ****. It's an entire environment and culture of ****.

We can demand someone's head, demand "some" move because it makes us feel better. But nothing will REALLY change, it'll just be a slightly different shape of ****. Welcome to hell.

I feel for any fans in their early 20s and younger- as they likely have NO clear memory of a legitimately good Piston team.

If I were around any I’d encourage them to find a new team. Life is short.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#10 » by Neptune » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:06 am

Dang, can we wait to see what he does turning the trade deadline. I mean, we've up'd the value for Hayes. Now let's see what he can create in deals
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#11 » by LaSheed » Thu Dec 7, 2023 9:31 am

Lol boy Wemby & Pop lucky we are stealing the spotlight right now. They are a dumpster fire right now as well.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#12 » by Kilo » Thu Dec 7, 2023 11:25 am

Weaver doesn't do anything at trade deadlines. Overpriced players and then doesn't trade them is about it. It's about time for Gores to cash out anyways. He's the ultimate problem. Don't get me wrong, Weaver has been terrible at his job as well and should be fired last off-season for the overt tank job and not trading BB at TDL, but it all starts at the top.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Absolutia
Junior
And1: 150

Post#13 » by Absolutia » Thu Dec 7, 2023 11:55 am

It's only looked this bad from game four of this season. It would appear to me that every single player has gotten worse since Monty Williams has taken over. In any other situation he would have been fired and we all know why he hasn't been.

We are a very young team, have been very injured and have had a tough schedule to start the year, but we still should have been better than this. Our HC has made decision after decision after decision, that have diminished our chances of winning games and affected the spirit of this group.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 474

Post#14 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:25 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Damn this car has been in the shop for 3 years now. Went to check on it today. The parts are newer but the car still sucks. Hired a very expensive driver though. I was told I was getting a restore and so far all I see is a scam.

I actually laughed out loud. Thank you!
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#15 » by JNewton » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:33 pm

Kilo wrote:Weaver doesn't do anything at trade deadlines. Overpriced players and then doesn't trade them is about it. It's about time for Gores to cash out anyways. He's the ultimate problem. Don't get me wrong, Weaver has been terrible at his job as well and should be fired last off-season for the overt tank job and not trading BB at TDL, but it all starts at the top.

Gores is going nowhere. A new TV deal coming up to further inflate team values, plus possibly (2) 200 million expansion fee payouts by the end of the decade. He has no incentive to sell the team; his ROI has been incredible.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#16 » by BDM22 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:43 pm

I wish I could really know how the dynamic was behind the scenes with the coaching hire. If Weaver was really trying to push us away from hiring Monty (a guy he knows well), I don't think he should take the fall here. You don't fire Weaver and not fire Monty. This team would be better with John Kuester. Monty either got carried by Book and CP3 or he's actively trying to get fired to collect his check and take vacation.

The roster as constructed certainly isn't good, but it isn't 2-18. Dwane Casey solely on semi-competent rotations would have this team winning at least a couple times per month.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#17 » by JNewton » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:46 pm

BDM22 wrote:This team would be better with John Kuester. Monty either got carried by Book and CP3 or he's actively trying to get fired to collect his check and take vacation.

At this point, I'm expecting Monty to pull a Costanza and do donuts in the parking lot with the 2004 Larry O'Brien trophy tied to the bumper of his car.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#18 » by bstein14 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:18 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Sure, whatever man.

Make it about that.

You live to **** on Piston players, so fire away, I don't give a flying ****.

Your the smart one, maybe you should be the GM.

If you think Weaver went out and got two all-nba players who will be franchise cornerstone pieces, combine for 12+ all-star appearances between them, etc... then this season where we've been injured a ton to start isn't the biggest piece of the puzzle when it comes to the job Weaver has done. If you think Cade is a flat out star and all-nba player in this league that's more important this rough stretch than we're currently going through.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#19 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:41 pm

Neptune wrote:Dang, can we wait to see what he does turning the trade deadline. I mean, we've up'd the value for Hayes. Now let's see what he can create in deals

Do we want to?

Do we want Weaver orchestrating another deadline?

Does he have a proven track record of making good trades?
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#20 » by Patrick27 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:23 pm

Weaver flew too close to the sun, going scorched earth and replacing everyone with rookies, busts, and reclamation projects almost immediately. We were essentially an expansion team in 2020. He always chose potential over skill and results. He bought low, hoping to sell high. He took rebuilding to the max.

He knows that the only way to a title is through a generational player. He isn't following the 2004 model, because 99.99% of the time, that doesn't work. Instead, he drafted, signed, and traded for a bunch of $2 scratch-off lottery tickets, hoping to hit it big.

It was ambitious, but it just hasn't shown any success yet. It will be interesting how long Gores will let him keep up this strategy.

I know everyone is down on him right now, but what if we gave it more time? Will his gambles eventually work out? What if we stay at the bottom until we really have some great players to build from?

He's hoping for the same luck that happened when he was with the OKC Thunder when they had Durant, Westbrook, and Harden all at the same time. That was the same lightning in a bottle that he's trying to recreate. That team could have (should have?) really been a dynasty.

Return to Detroit Pistons