ImageImageImage

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Re: I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#461 » by theBigLip » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:59 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
He tried to sign Max Struss and Struss didn't want to play for us. No one will sign with us if they have any other option. By being this incompetent and building a dysfunctional roster, he developed a loser's culture, our youg players didn't develop, and the entire league including the players see us as a joke.

Jokic refused to play against us. TWICE.

That's not how you become elite.

So wrong on so many points.

Max Struss wants to play for a championship. I guess that’s Weaver’s fault :lol:

Our young players are developing. Cade, Ivey, Duren are all looking better every game.

There isn’t a losing culture. That just belongs to certain “fans”. I would say it’s just the opposite. Seems to me the team plays hard in spite of the record.

Yeah, just like I was wrong about Ivey's defense being a joke last season :lol:

Most rookies need to work on their D. How many rookies make the All D team? That shouldn’t be a surprise. Ivey is improving every game. Keep looking at your half empty glass.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#462 » by vege » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:46 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
So wrong on so many points.

Max Struss wants to play for a championship. I guess that’s Weaver’s fault :lol:

Our young players are developing. Cade, Ivey, Duren are all looking better every game.

There isn’t a losing culture. That just belongs to certain “fans”. I would say it’s just the opposite. Seems to me the team plays hard in spite of the record.

Yeah, just like I was wrong about Ivey's defense being a joke last season :lol:

Most rookies need to work on their D. How many rookies make the All D team? That shouldn’t be a surprise. Ivey is improving every game. Keep looking at your half empty glass.

Duren, Stew, Cade and Ausar were fine as rookies on defense. Ivey is still a disaster, and so is/was Saddiq.

It's not a half empty glass, I see things as they are, I do not ignore the obvious, neither make crazy projections based on nothing. I am consistent. I never valued draft picks high, I always prefere a stabilished NBA player than the projection of a pick.

I don't know why you got shocked when someone posted the graphics on the chance of miss the pick and a break down on each selection. I have been talking and posting about that for years. I never presented it like that, but I have posted numerous times the product of pick X (the players selected in that position the past 10-15 years).

And I am not delusional (I am not saying you are) I said Fontecchio is not what we need, because he is a bad defender, I got attacked, and insulted by several posters because of that, thinking I hate Fontecchio or I don't know what I am talking about. 2 games in, Lakers game plan was to explore Fonteccio ineptitude on defense.

He is a solid player, but we need better than that, we need guys that can play defense. We need more guys like Grimes, who is nothing special, he is average at best, but he can play defense (not on Ausar's level for example) and he can hit his shots.

So you can continue viewing me as a pessimist, I really don't give a ****, but in reality, I say what I see. You can go back years and see things I said that were spot on. The 2020 draft is an example, and I didn't hate it for no reason, I explained why. During covid, scouts had very little to work with, and the result was obvious. A lot of picks missed in 2020. More than normal.

The rebuild, I explained why I never wanted to go full rebuild, and the result is here for whoever want to see, see, whoever want to ignore, ignore it, but 17 wins followed by a 9 wins season is clear. For a 9 wins season to happen, a lot need to be wrong.

The players are not as good as expected, they do not fit well together, the coaching staff is absolutely laughable, and it's not just Monty, every single coach in our coaching staff is incompetent.

Our entire front office is incompetent, and when you start to dig, and dive deeper, you understand why. Nepotism. It's insane. And there is nepotism with the players we sign and draft as well.

Stewart have deep connections with Weaver. Mcgruder have connections with Weaver, Boehein as well, that euro thrash guy we traded resourses to draft, to give him a 3 years contract, was represented by Tellem's son. Gallo is represented by Tellem's son, we traded for him, played him enough minutes to get him his next job, there are countless situations, and if you want to ignore everything, and belive everything is well, and it's all sunshine and rainbows, you do you, but it's not.

The organization have been gargabe since Mr Davidson died.
This rebuilding have been laughable.
The results are there for everyone to see.
9 wins, and that's not on the Coach, even tho he is terrible, and what he have been doing is insulting for us fans.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#463 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:32 pm

I’ll give Weaver credit where credit is due, as his trades for Simone Fontecchio and Quentin Grimes at the deadline look like good ones. Both are solid players who fit with the core and have already given the team a boost in 3-point shooting and defense
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#464 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:22 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:I’ll give Weaver credit where credit is due, as his trades for Simone Fontecchio and Quentin Grimes at the deadline look like good ones. Both are solid players who fit with the core and have already given the team a boost in 3-point shooting and defense

Agreed. Solid rotation players for sure. Add them to the Core 4 (Cade, Ivey, Duren, Thompson), Stewart and Sassar, that’s 8 solid players. So we need 7 more to fill out the roster and $60-70M to fill them.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#465 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:01 pm

I’m extremely impressed with what I’ve seen from Fontecchio.

More than just a spot up shooter. Love the way he moves without the ball.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#466 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:22 pm

Snakebites wrote:I’m extremely impressed with what I’ve seen from Fontecchio.

I’d be interested to see if the detractors of the trade when it happened have warmed up to it or if they still would add another young player instead of him with the early second round pick that was given up.

I’m elated with the deal and considering that the team is so young and likely to add another top 5 pick, I prefer Simone rather than allocating more developmental bandwidth to a player that we’re hoping to be as impactful as Fontecchio.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#467 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:23 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

I’d be interested to see if the detractors of the trade when it happened have warmed up to it or if they still would add another young player instead of him with the early second round pick that was given up.

I’m elated with the deal and considering that the team is so young and likely to add another top 5 pick, I prefer Simone rather than allocating more developmental bandwidth to a player that we’re hoping to be as impactful as Fontecchio.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what type of deal Font gets in FA this summer. Is he $10 mil per year 3/$30 or is he going to get something closer to what Stew got. He is clearly one of our 6 best players now but he could drop a bit if we end up getting more talent.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,749

Post#468 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:17 pm

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what type of deal Font gets in FA this summer. Is he $10 mil per year 3/$30 or is he going to get something closer to what Stew got. He is clearly one of our 6 best players now but he could drop a bit if we end up getting more talent.
Tek is going to be worth more then we expect, as I expect the remaining Pistons games to be ultra-competitive.

He is a perfect fit on this squad.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#469 » by Mr Peanut » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:50 am

Knicks are 2-8 since the trade. Burks has looked like garbage and Bojan has been inconsistent with his shooting (tonight 0-7 FG, 0-4 3PT) and a bad defender as usual.

Did we win the trade after all?
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#470 » by dVs33 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:56 am

Mr Peanut wrote:Knicks are 2-8 since the trade. Burks has looked like garbage and Bojan has been inconsistent with his shooting (tonight 0-7 FG, 0-4 3PT) and a bad defender as usual.

We got younger and better defensively, so it's at least even

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using RealGM mobile app
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#471 » by theBigLip » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:36 am

dVs33 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:Knicks are 2-8 since the trade. Burks has looked like garbage and Bojan has been inconsistent with his shooting (tonight 0-7 FG, 0-4 3PT) and a bad defender as usual.

Some trades are win-win, some are not, and it usually takes awhile to find out.

If Fontechio and Grimes are solid rotation players and we sign them to reasonably priced long term deals, we win. It’s looking good so far.

If Bojan and Burks produce during the playoffs, then Knicks win their side of the deal. Not looking good for them at the moment.

If we have to declare a winner right now? We definitely won this trade.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#472 » by DBC10 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:20 pm

Yeah he's pretty impressive for a so called "disaster" on defense

In fact, that word disaster should be banned since it's clearly not in the realm of reality when describing a player's defense

Disaster are reserved for guys like Jordan Poole or current Klay Thompson
DBC10
General Manager

Post#473 » by DBC10 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:23 pm

Bojan was always slightly overrated for us anyways and may have held us back defensively far more than initially realized

That's why getting a bunch of lengthy guys that can at best play adequate defense, hit a few shots, and get Fontecchio was worth the investment so far
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#474 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:10 pm

DBC10 wrote:

In fact, that word disaster should be banned since it's clearly not in the realm of reality when describing a player's defense

Disaster are reserved for guys like Jordan Poole or current Klay Thompson

Yeah.

I will say that my excitement is tempered by the fact that Fontecchio has now been put on the bench in favor of Isaiah Stewart. Their obsession with him as a power forward continues to baffle me, especially given what has happened with our depth at the center position. So so obvious Stewart is our 6th man. It makes sense for him as a player and with our current rotation.

I get it guys. You extended him hoping he’d be our starter. But continuing to misuse him is worse than giving him a smaller role than expected.

Stewart isn’t a useless player. I’m not even super mad about the extension- I don’t think overpaying for a useful player who has a clear place on the team is a deal breaker. But he makes no sense in this starting lineup.
vege
RealGM

Post#475 » by vege » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:59 pm

DBC10 wrote:

You do you, but he is a bad defender.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#476 » by NYPiston » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:42 pm

Not only that but he plays solid defense. He's exactly what they've needed at the 4 at least until Stewart returned when he got relegated to the bench for reasons only Monty understands. Stew did have a good game against Chicago but I think we all know that he's more of a backup 5 long term than a starting 4.

This is why I really liked the deadline while some others were upset about the apparent lack of "value" that the B&B Boys returned. Guys like Burks and Bogey were detrimental. Chuckers who were ball movement stoppers and liabilities on defense although they tried at least. Ask Knicks fans how they feel about those two, Burks in particular

Now, guys like Tech and Grimes aren't franchise changers but adding guys like these who know their roles and play a solid 2 way game goes a long way towards building more of a TEAM culture and hopefully a winning culture to soon follow. Burks and Bogey while good scorers just didn't play winning basketball. I was thrilled that Weaver moved on from both of them, just not a good fit here.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#477 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:54 pm

I think Flynn was low-key a pretty nice pick up in that trade. He's young enough and good enough on both ends to consider keeping around as our vet back up PG. I like what Grimes has been on defense (seeing the minutes with him and Ausar together makes us look almost competent defensively!) but I'd love to see a bit more consistency in his shot. Hopefully he gets there in time.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#478 » by DBC10 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:27 pm

vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

Disaster he still ain't. Neither is Ivey in that case this season

In fact we're more competitive than ever, after the trades and all star break even after your bemoaning of the fact we traded away Burks and Bojan
vege
RealGM

Post#479 » by vege » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:09 pm

DBC10 wrote:
vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

Disaster he still ain't. Neither is Ivey in that case this season

In fact we're more competitive than ever, after the trades and all star break even after your bemoaning of the fact we traded away Burks and Bojan

We played 3 competitive games because Cade is health, after the trade, and before the all star break, when Fontecchio was at his best FWIW, we were destroyed.

Fontecchio is fine, but he is not what we need, we need more guys like Grimes, guys that play both sides of the floor, even tho, Grimes is just average on both sides.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#480 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:09 pm

dVs33 wrote:

In fairness they’ve had injuries.

Return to Detroit Pistons