Monty is the problem

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,926

Re: Monty is the problem 

Post#161 » by zeebneeb » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:49 am

BDM22 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Monty is guaranteed $78 mil regardless if he gets fired, so I doubt he not going anywhere at the very least til beginning of next season pending any improvements.

Gores has plenty of money, that makes no difference. Like you said, he's owed that money regardless. It's more the firing a guy in his first half-season thing that teams generally don't do.
78 million paid out over 5 years. Pocket change to a billionaire.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,101

Post#162 » by bstein14 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:52 am

zeebneeb wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Monty is guaranteed $78 mil regardless if he gets fired, so I doubt he not going anywhere at the very least til beginning of next season pending any improvements.

Gores has plenty of money, that makes no difference. Like you said, he's owed that money regardless. It's more the firing a guy in his first half-season thing that teams generally don't do.
78 million paid out over 5 years. Pocket change to a billionaire.

For sure, he bought the team for $325 million and its gone up in value $100 to $200 million per year every year since he's made the purchase. It's easily worth $3+ billion now. Not to mention he's never paid the luxury tax and he's collected $100s of millions just in luxury tax payments from other owners the last 12 years.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#163 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:50 am

vege wrote:
Ivey is trash. Stop defending the players. They quit on us. You won't see me defending Monty either. He is part of the problem as well, but he is not wrong about Ivey, I was the one complaining about Ivey's defense before Monty was hired and guess what? I WAS **** RIGHT, like I have been right the majority of the time around here.

Even people who tried to make me stop posting in here are repeating what I've been saying for years nowadays. I want our players to succeed, but if they're trash, I will say they are trash, I will not try to defend them.

You were right all along. Monty was really onto something with how he handled Ivey (and the guys he played over him). Monty is bad, but somehow that inexplicable decision was the one thing he was spot on about lol. Certainly burying ivey on the bench en route to an all-time losing streak was 3D chess.

Averaging 20/5/5 with a block and a steal on 49.2% FG and 44.4% 3FG since the front office had an intervention with Monty and told him to put the ball in Ivey’s hands more. And we’ve won 4 of the 8 games where he was the main guy.

0% chance we have that embarrassing streak if Monty just plays Ivey like any normal coach for the first 40 games of the season.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#164 » by DBC10 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:40 pm

Unquestionably, Monty was wrong to bench Ivey. That's aged like milk at this point

I think the problem we may now have is how great of a fit are Cade and Ivey? We all know they can score and provide leadership out there but I can't trust Monty at all to sort that out
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,292

Post#165 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:47 pm

BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
Ivey is trash. Stop defending the players. They quit on us. You won't see me defending Monty either. He is part of the problem as well, but he is not wrong about Ivey, I was the one complaining about Ivey's defense before Monty was hired and guess what? I WAS **** RIGHT, like I have been right the majority of the time around here.

Even people who tried to make me stop posting in here are repeating what I've been saying for years nowadays. I want our players to succeed, but if they're trash, I will say they are trash, I will not try to defend them.

You were right all along. Monty was really onto something with how he handled Ivey (and the guys he played over him). Monty is bad, but somehow that inexplicable decision was the one thing he was spot on about lol. Certainly burying ivey on the bench en route to an all-time losing streak was 3D chess.

Averaging 20/5/5 with a block and a steal on 49.2% FG and 44.4% 3FG since the front office had an intervention with Monty and told him to put the ball in Ivey’s hands more. And we’ve won 4 of the 8 games where he was the main guy.

0% chance we have that embarrassing streak if Monty just plays Ivey like any normal coach for the first 40 games of the season.

Maybe he would still be in the 1 percentile as a defender if Monty didn't bench him. Might be a 4d chess move.

Now we need to bench Cade because he have been trash.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,101

Post#166 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:08 pm

Ivey's effort on defense has been much better. It is certainly possible that Monty was trying to get Ivey to increase what he was providing on that end of the floor. I don't mind benching players for bad defense because we need accountability. On offense, having Ivey/Ausar sit in the corners waiting to catch a three ball as much as they have been given their athletic abilities has been a mistake for sure. I feel like Monty did that in Phoenix because he had great shooters but he didn't really adapt his coaching offense as well as he should have for the group of players he inherited. It's a learning process all around but you'd expect more of him having watched film on the guys from the previous year and trying to do a bit more to put them in position to succeed out there instead of just thinking everyone needs to catch and shoot while Cade goes one on one and tries to break down the defense.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#167 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:21 pm

bstein14 wrote:Ivey's effort on defense has been much better. It is certainly possible that Monty was trying to get Ivey to increase what he was providing on that end of the floor. I don't mind benching players for bad defense because we need accountability. On offense, having Ivey/Ausar sit in the corners waiting to catch a three ball as much as they have been given their athletic abilities has been a mistake for sure. I feel like Monty did that in Phoenix because he had great shooters but he didn't really adapt his coaching offense as well as he should have for the group of players he inherited. It's a learning process all around but you'd expect more of him having watched film on the guys from the previous year and trying to do a bit more to put them in position to succeed out there instead of just thinking everyone needs to catch and shoot while Cade goes one on one and tries to break down the defense.

Yeah, it would certainly be more reasonable if Monty was really like “no blow by guys” and stuck to it. If you saw Cade and Bojan getting benched for the same or worse issues on that end and REALLY made it about accountability instead of just holding one guy to a different standard.

He did the same thing to Ausar with TO’s. Benched him for the TO’s while Cade was at the height of his sloppily turnovers this season and we never saw the demotion and never took the ball out of his hands.

Obviously the offensive role with Ivey was purely Monty just not knowing his personnel. Pretty clear that he likely didn’t watch any game film from last season or ask anyone about the strengths and weaknesses of the players he was about to coach.

You even watch the postgame press conference from last night and Monty didn’t say a positive word about JI even though he carried them to a win. Didn’t really even mention him other than saying something like “Burks got Ivey and Sass to calm down”. Obviously there’s some saltiness there. It’s bizarre and petty behavior from a guy Monty’s age and in his position.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#168 » by DBC10 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:01 pm

BDM22 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Ivey's effort on defense has been much better. It is certainly possible that Monty was trying to get Ivey to increase what he was providing on that end of the floor. I don't mind benching players for bad defense because we need accountability. On offense, having Ivey/Ausar sit in the corners waiting to catch a three ball as much as they have been given their athletic abilities has been a mistake for sure. I feel like Monty did that in Phoenix because he had great shooters but he didn't really adapt his coaching offense as well as he should have for the group of players he inherited. It's a learning process all around but you'd expect more of him having watched film on the guys from the previous year and trying to do a bit more to put them in position to succeed out there instead of just thinking everyone needs to catch and shoot while Cade goes one on one and tries to break down the defense.

Yeah, it would certainly be more reasonable if Monty was really like “no blow by guys” and stuck to it. If you saw Cade and Bojan getting benched for the same or worse issues on that end and REALLY made it about accountability instead of just holding one guy to a different standard.

He did the same thing to Ausar with TO’s. Benched him for the TO’s while Cade was at the height of his sloppily turnovers this season and we never saw the demotion and never took the ball out of his hands.

Obviously the offensive role with Ivey was purely Monty just not knowing his personnel. Pretty clear that he likely didn’t watch any game film from last season or ask anyone about the strengths and weaknesses of the players he was about to coach.

You even watch the postgame press conference from last night and Monty didn’t say a positive word about JI even though he carried them to a win. Didn’t really even mention him other than saying something like “Burks got Ivey and Sass to calm down”. Obviously there’s some saltiness there. It’s bizarre and petty behavior from a guy Monty’s age and in his position.

It's irrational and doesn't make sense. There's no 4D chess being played, he's not even clever enough to beat himself in tic tac toe

Anyone assuming that has their head in the sand

JI didn't deserve that, that's not up for debate at this point. The fact that Monty then gifts minutes to Hayes just oozes pettiness early on. What a disaster

Return to Detroit Pistons