Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,055

Re: Monty is the problem 

Post#141 » by vic » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm

Best VId I've seen on this topic. :o

Spot on, WITH receipts.

I really hope information spreads fast, because it verifies what we've been saying all season about Ivey, Monty, Stewart, etc...

You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#142 » by Mr. Krabs » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:34 pm

monty being fired will be mentioned together with;
josh smith being released
patricia being fired
killing of osama bin laden
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#143 » by keepitrealhomes » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:monty being fired will be mentioned together with;
josh smith being released
patricia being fired
killing of osama bin laden

I bet you it happens at 9:11 AM one day, which is weird. Reminds me of that one tragedy, ya know?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,321

Post#144 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:01 am

vic wrote:Best VId I've seen on this topic. :o

Spot on, WITH receipts.

I really hope information spreads fast, because it verifies what we've been saying all season about Ivey, Monty, Stewart, etc...

Oh my god ... I'm like 4 minutes in and my mouth is already agape. We don't send doubles at all? Or at least don't as a philosophy? Gees, no wonder we're so terrible on defense and foul so much. NBA scores are way too talented to leave defenders on an island like that all game. Massive fail by Monty.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#145 » by Kilo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:34 am

Hasn't his defensive coordinator been missing since game 3 with personal issues and not replaced on the staff?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,271

Post#146 » by vege » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:46 am

vic wrote:Best VId I've seen on this topic. :o

Spot on, WITH receipts.

I watched this video when it was released. We do help a lot, the guy is just getting specific situations to make a point. We have a lot of issues on our defense, that's not one.

I did not check to see if the guy numbers are correct or not but he said something very interesting towards the end, when he is breaking down some lineup combinations.

I did not expect Cade + Duren to have a negative +/- together. But Cade/Bojan/Duren are good together.

Ivey and Stewart are also pretty good together. The guy showed Ivey attacking the paint and kicking out to a wide open Stew who hit some 3's.

Which reinforces what I was saying before the season started. Ivey and Stewart would be the foundation of an excellent bench. Cade/Bojan/Duren are the bones of a playoff team. Sadly Bojan is old, so we need him replaced.

So we are not that far away from being a good team. We need to replace Bojan, we need Ausar to develop a shot, so he can either be a starter or complete the bench with Ivey/Stew, and we need a 2 and a 4 capable of defend and hit 3's.

Maybe we alread have that 2 in Morris. Morris/Cade/Bojan/PF/Duren with Ivey/Ausar/Stew could be a play in team next season, depending on how much Bojan will decline and how much Ausar will progress. Tobias Harris or Miles Bridges would be good enough imo.

Without Monte, without the PF and with Ausar shooting more airballs than made 3's, we're not going to be very good.

That's where our FO failed miserably. They acquired Joe Harris, and we tried to play Harris at the 4 (like WTF) did our FO did not now Harris was cooked? Because I do not get paid for it and I knew 100% for sure.

If they want Tobias badly or if they wanted Miles Bridges situation to resolve and not commit money to someone this season, that will preventing us for chasing one of those guys next season, you do not invest 20 million in Joe Harris. You ovepay someone capable of being a place holder for 1 year, with 2nd year being either a team option or unguaranteed.

We had options. Derrick Jones Jr signed for the minimum. Give the guy 10 mil 1 year contract and he would be playing for us. Kelly Oubre Jr signed for the minimum with Philadelphia. Give him 10 mil 1 year and he would be playing for us. Make a 2nd year team option, and we would have 2 more rotation guys, and worst case scenario, our bench wouldn't be a disaster.

There's a reason why those guys signed for the minimum? Ok, there are more options. Give Torrey Craig 1 year 6-7 million and he is a Piston. He is a good veteran, who played for Monty and he knows the system, he would have helped us a lot, he was shooting 38% from 3 and he plays acceptable defense.

Weaver should've just overpaid someone for 1 year and this mess would not have happened. By the time he realized his mistake, it was way too late, and the best he could do was sign Kevin Knox for the minimum, and while Knox shouldn't even be in the league, he have been decent for us, which means, any NBA Caliber Forward would do, 2 Forwards would be fantastic.

I remember reading that, someone from our coaching staff, was missing, I did not know it was the defensive coordinator, if that's accurate, and I believe it is, that would explain a lot of things. We can't go half a season without the guy, he need to be replaced.
vege
RealGM

Post#147 » by vege » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:16 am

FWIW this would be my rotation against Toronto, and untill Monte Morris is back

Jalen Duren (36) / Isaiah Stewart (12)
Kevin Knox (18) / Isaiah Stewart (22) Bojan Bogdanovic (8)
Bojan Bogdanovic (28) / Ausar Thompson (20)
Jaden Ivey (32) / Stanley Umude (10) Marcus Sasser (6)
Cade Cunningham (36) / Marcus Sasser (12)
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,072

Post#148 » by bstein14 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:21 am

vege wrote:FWIW this would be my rotation against Toronto, and untill Monte Morris is back

We 100% can't have Killian + Ausar + Wiseman in the 2nd unit together. We also should probably take Bojan out of the game first and then bring him back after a short rest so he can play with the bench unit as the #1 option.
vege
RealGM

Post#149 » by vege » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:28 am

Derrick Jones Jr is not as good as Cam Johnson or Tobias Harris, but he would've costed a fraction of what they cost/will cost and he is not that much worse.

Granted no one expected him to be this good, and he's been playing with Luka and Kyrie but he is good, and he is still young. Good FOs find decent players and put them in the right situation.

Our FO is completely inept.

https://craftednba.com/players/comparison?player1=derrick-jones-jr.&player2=cameron-johnson

https://craftednba.com/players/comparison?player1=derrick-jones-jr.&player2=tobias-harris
vege
RealGM

Post#150 » by vege » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:31 am

bstein14 wrote:
vege wrote:FWIW this would be my rotation against Toronto, and untill Monte Morris is back

We 100% can't have Killian + Ausar + Wiseman in the 2nd unit together. We also should probably take Bojan out of the game first and then bring him back after a short rest so he can play with the bench unit as the #1 option.

Monty did that with Bojan. He was always the first guy back to lead the 2nd unit. The problem is, we need him next to Cade, so Cade have enough spacing, and we need him in the 2nd unit so we have someone capable of creating.

He's been playing 38+ minues per game recently and he will be 35 in a few months.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#151 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:37 pm

bstein14 wrote:

Is Burks injured? He should be in the rotation over Umude and should get at least as many minutes as Sasser, imo. Agreed with Killian and Wiseman being left on the bench if possible.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,609

Post#152 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:13 pm

How much of Monty's contract is guaranteed?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#153 » by BDM22 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:55 pm

vege wrote:
Ivey and Stewart are also pretty good together. The guy showed Ivey attacking the paint and kicking out to a wide open Stew who hit some 3's.

Which reinforces what I was saying before the season started. Ivey and Stewart would be the foundation of an excellent bench. Cade/Bojan/Duren are the bones of a playoff team. Sadly Bojan is old, so we need him replaced.

Ivey needs a rim runner though, and Stew ain't that. Ivey was 12th in the league last year in pass-to-assist ratio and a lot of that was because Ivey's gravity driving to the the rim opened up so many easy dunks for Duren. Not to mention, the Ivey/Duren combo is one of very few combinations on this roster that has played more than scrap minutes that has a positive net rating THIS year. I also think Ivey's penetration has done wonders for Cade's efficiency by getting him a few more of those spot-up threes every game, which is a good shot for him.

What we need is Morris to come back and steady the bench unit, plus some kind of bench wing that can score, and a starting PF that can really shoot. That way we aren't trying to juggle Cade/Bojan always playing together to give Cade space, but also needing them playing with the bench because they're inept.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#154 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:34 pm

Ausar should be running with Stew as the center as often as possible to make up for Ausar's lack of spacing. Both Duren and Ausar are talented and additive, but we need to space them apart so there are four at least plausible shooters in the lineup at all times. By rocking Stew as the backup 5, this becomes more possible. Bagley is reduced to spot minutes/break glass in case of emergency, and Wiseman disappears.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#155 » by Piston Pete » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:28 pm

Ausar and Duren are not fits together. They can’t be on the court at the same time.

It’s my belief that one needs to be traded. Sooner the better, while they both still have positive value.

If we trade Duren, Stewart could slide over to C. But Duren and Cade have seemed to bond…

If we trade Ausar, finding a glue 3&D guy to man SF shouldn’t be hard to find.
vege
RealGM

Post#156 » by vege » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:36 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Is Burks injured? He should be in the rotation over Umude and should get at least as many minutes as Sasser, imo. Agreed with Killian and Wiseman being left on the bench if possible.

Burks is either cooked after his injury or he gave up. He has been awful and one of the main reasons why we've been losing. He should not be playing at all. Umude can defend and shoot. Burks can't do either.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#157 » by zeebneeb » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:50 pm

vege wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Burks is either cooked after his injury or he gave up. He has been awful and one of the main reasons why we've been losing. He should not be playing at all. Umude can defend and shoot. Burks can't do either.
I can't argue with this. Even a gleaguer would be better then "all smiles" asshat Burks at this point.

*sigh*
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,609

Post#158 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:20 pm

Monty is guaranteed $78 mil regardless if he gets fired, so I doubt he not going anywhere at the very least til beginning of next season pending any improvements.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#159 » by Mr. Krabs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:52 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Monty is guaranteed $78 mil regardless if he gets fired, so I doubt he not going anywhere at the very least til beginning of next season pending any improvements.

we don't need to pay for a new coach, just let him stay home and its already better. cade can be the player-coach if needed
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#160 » by BDM22 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:45 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Monty is guaranteed $78 mil regardless if he gets fired, so I doubt he not going anywhere at the very least til beginning of next season pending any improvements.

Gores has plenty of money, that makes no difference. Like you said, he's owed that money regardless. It's more the firing a guy in his first half-season thing that teams generally don't do.

Return to Detroit Pistons