ImageImageImage

Miles Bridges - trade deadline version

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Re: Miles Bridges - trade deadline version 

Post#61 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:20 am

Fans cheered Miles Bridges when he was in Detroit. Fans booed Giddy though. Gores caught that for sure!
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,415

Post#62 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:34 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Fans cheered Miles Bridges when he was in Detroit. Fans booed Giddy though. Gores caught that for sure!

Yeah I didn't like the double standard there. Giddey may well have done something bad but was at least cleared. If people want to criticize the process or speculate about hush money then so be it.

Bridges is convicted in a court of law and there is very accessible photo evidence of the horrific acts he committed.

But the former is booed and the latter is cheered.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#63 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:40 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Fans cheered Miles Bridges when he was in Detroit. Fans booed Giddy though. Gores caught that for sure!

Yeah I didn't like the double standard there. Giddey may well have done something bad but was at least cleared. If people want to criticize the process or speculate about hush money then so be it.

Bridges is convicted in a court of law and there is very accessible photo evidence of the horrific acts he committed.

Part of it is Bridges is a hometown kid. He is from Flint,Mi and stayed home for school. The majority of the fanbase is going to welcome him being how devoid of talent we've been over the years despite the off court negatives.

Also I'm sure Bridges appreciated coming home and being cheered somewhere for once. Hes been getting booed all over the league. I think we have a real leg up over other teams on him due to the hometown connection.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,259

Re: Mikal Bridges - trade deadline version 

Post#64 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:19 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

With his mom being a coach and all the work he put into shooting when he returned to school gotta question the ceiling on improving much from here.

So when your mom's a coach you hit your ceiling at 21?! :-?

His ceiling on shooting(you know what the whole post is about and replying to a post about) figuring he already went back to school and reworked his mechanics and made a huge jump in that area. Sometimes really athletic or big guys are raw on shooting because they dont need to rely on it until they get ITL but being a coaches son hes been taught all the fundamentals from a young age.

He turns 22 in two weeks he hasnt improved at all year one to year two there. He will get better obv but I dont see another huge jump like he had year 1-2 in college being very likely.

He doesn't really need a "huge jump". He's shooting 32% with Monty breathing down his neck all year. There's absolutely nothing to say he can't shoot like 36% (Mitchell's career average). He's at 35.5% since he became full-time starter 20 games ago.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:34 am

BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:So when your mom's a coach you hit your ceiling at 21?! :-?

His ceiling on shooting(you know what the whole post is about and replying to a post about) figuring he already went back to school and reworked his mechanics and made a huge jump in that area. Sometimes really athletic or big guys are raw on shooting because they dont need to rely on it until they get ITL but being a coaches son hes been taught all the fundamentals from a young age.

He turns 22 in two weeks he hasnt improved at all year one to year two there. He will get better obv but I dont see another huge jump like he had year 1-2 in college being very likely.

He doesn't really need a "huge jump". He's shooting 32% with Monty breathing down his neck all year. There's absolutely nothing to say he can't shoot like 36% (Mitchell's career average). He was shooting 32% at this point last year too. Mitchell was shooting 32% at this point in his sophomore year. Ivey's TS% is better this year than either of Mitchell's first 2 years. Mitchell didn't make the big jump to 61% TS until 26 years old, last year. You know, the prime of a normal NBA player's career, not when they're 21.

Monty isnt the reason Ivey is below league average in FT% by quite a bit. League average is 78% Ivey is at 73% and hes gotten worse year 2.

D.Mitch was always a + shooter on the line and his shooting never regressed.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#66 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:42 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

He doesn't really need a "huge jump". He's shooting 32% with Monty breathing down his neck all year. There's absolutely nothing to say he can't shoot like 36% (Mitchell's career average). He was shooting 32% at this point last year too. Mitchell was shooting 32% at this point in his sophomore year. Ivey's TS% is better this year than either of Mitchell's first 2 years. Mitchell didn't make the big jump to 61% TS until 26 years old, last year. You know, the prime of a normal NBA player's career, not when they're 21.

Monty isnt the reason Ivey is below league average in FT% by quite a bit. League average is 78% Ivey is at 73% and hes gotten worse year 2.

Guys go through bad stretches. Bojan is shooting 75% from the line this year.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:44 am

BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Ivey was a career 74% FT shooter in college hes 74% career in the pros.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#68 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:59 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Yeah, I'm talking about his recent slump, which brought it down to 72%. Anyways, obviously the idea that a 21 year old can't improve as a shooter because his mom is a coach is beyond absurd. That's the point.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:05 am

BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Guys go through bad stretches. Bojan is shooting 75% from the line this year.

Yeah, I'm talking about his recent slump, which brought it down to 72%. Anyways, obviously the idea that a 21 year old can't improve as a shooter because his mom is a coach is beyond absurd. That's the point.

I never said he couldnt improve some.

Ivey came back to school put in tons of work to improve in that specific area and hes still below average on the line. His mechanics look bad. Hes regressed in shooting in his 2nd year which was the most important thing for him to improve on this year outside of defense.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#70 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:17 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

I never said he couldnt improve some.

Ivey came back to school put in tons of work to improve in that specific area and hes still below average on the line. His mechanics look bad. Hes regressed in shooting in his 2nd year which was the most important thing for him to improve on this year outside of defense.

And like I said, 35.5% since he became starter. It's like 2 shots that rimmed out going in from being 37%. He doesn't need to have some huge improvement.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,839

Post#71 » by theBigLip » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:55 am

Not sure why we have a big Ivey discussion in a Miles Bridges thread, but oh well…

Ivey is 21 years old. He has great athletic skills. Who peaks at 21 in this league? He’s going to get better. Very silly to trade him away and he hasn’t even played a season and a half in the league. SMH
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:00 am

theBigLip wrote:Not sure why we have a big Ivey discussion in a Miles Bridges thread, but oh well…

Ivey is 21 years old. He has great athletic skills. Who peaks at 21 in this league? He’s going to get better. Very silly to trade him away and he hasn’t even played a season and a half in the league. SMH

He turns 22 in 10 days. The entire point of selling now with a high lotto pick is the unknown ceiling factor providing extra value back in a trade. Players with high draft capital automatically have some extra value on the market early due to unknown ceiling and rookie contract value. When you wait until year 4 to "see what he develops into" the player is off their rookie contract and its much more obv of what the true value of said player will be.

We should of traded Drummond at 22 he had tons of value. We should of traded Bey after year one he had tons of value. Should of cashed out Killian right away too his value dropped consistently to zero.

Combo guards who cant 3 or D at high levels rarely ever turn into players that are key pieces of a title roster. If Ivey was a more premium archetype like a 3+D wing I wouldnt be interested in moving him.

Edit-

Also gotta factor in the head coach doesnt even seem to like Ivey. People can say "fire Monty"' all they want but chances are hes gonna be here at least 2-3 years with the contract he just landed. That was Gores guy he went all in to get him. Best to get some players your very highly paid coach likes on the team to give everyone the best chance at success.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,131

Post#73 » by bstein14 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 10:10 pm

If you could land a young all-star level player on a reasonable contract (like Mikal Bridges) Ivey should 100% be considered in a trade Ivey is still playing net negative ball most nights even though I do think he has big upside he is far from a lock to be a good long term starter on a winning team.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#74 » by theBigLip » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:55 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Not sure why we have a big Ivey discussion in a Miles Bridges thread, but oh well…

He turns 22 in 10 days. The entire point of selling now with a high lotto pick is the unknown ceiling factor providing extra value back in a trade. Players with high draft capital automatically have some extra value on the market early due to unknown ceiling and rookie contract value. When you wait until year 4 to "see what he develops into" the player is off their rookie contract and its much more obv of what the true value of said player will be.

We should of traded Drummond at 22 he had tons of value. We should of traded Bey after year one he had tons of value. Should of cashed out Killian right away too his value dropped consistently to zero.

Combo guards who cant 3 or D at high levels rarely ever turn into players that are key pieces of a title roster. If Ivey was a more premium archetype like a 3+D wing I wouldnt be interested in moving him.

Edit-

Also gotta factor in the head coach doesnt even seem to like Ivey. People can say "fire Monty"' all they want but chances are hes gonna be here at least 2-3 years with the contract he just landed. That was Gores guy he went all in to get him. Best to get some players your very highly paid coach likes on the team to give everyone the best chance at success.

It’s easy to look back and say we should have sold high on everyone. Knowing when the peak is is the challenge. Middleton and Dinwiddie are examples of letting go too soon. This is like saying I should be a multimillionaire if I just knew when to buy and sell those stocks :lol:

I’d much rather hold on too long than too short. These guys are inexpensive and should get better. Unless you get some crazy offer, better to keep them.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#75 » by theBigLip » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:59 pm

Back to Miles Bridges - it seems like the Suns are trying hard to get him. Probably our biggest competition. We can sign him for more next year, so maybe just let him be a short term rental this year, Phoenix takes the PR hit, and then we sign him to a long term deal next year.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,286

Post#76 » by GreekAlex » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:15 am

theBigLip wrote:Back to Miles Bridges - it seems like the Suns are trying hard to get him. Probably our biggest competition. We can sign him for more next year, so maybe just let him be a short term rental this year, Phoenix takes the PR hit, and then we sign him to a long term deal next year.

It doesn’t seem like the Suns have much to offer.

I’d be interested to get him here for the rest of the season to see how he meshes with the team and coaching staff before committing a significant contract to him.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,999

Post#77 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:22 am

I still don’t want him and won’t get into that again.

I’ll say this though: Even if for the sake of discussion I’m accepting the premise that we should go get this guy, trading for him now seems pointless. This season is shot.

Who are we bidding against in the offseason? Let Phoenix waste assets trading for a rental who doesn’t put them over the top. We still have the same chance of signing him.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#78 » by theBigLip » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:38 am

Snakebites wrote:Who are we bidding against in the offseason? Let Phoenix waste assets trading for a rental who doesn’t put them over the top. We still have the same chance of signing him.

Makes sense. Charlotte may keep him to do a sign and trade this summer as well.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,131

Post#79 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:55 am

Snakebites wrote:I still don’t want him and won’t get into that again.

I’ll say this though: Even if for the sake of discussion I’m accepting the premise that we should go get this guy, trading for him now seems pointless. This season is shot.

Who are we bidding against in the offseason? Let Phoenix waste assets trading for a rental who doesn’t put them over the top. We still have the same chance of signing him.

It's a Weaver thing tho Bagley was about to be a FA, Bojan was about to be a FA, etc..... It could in part be if Charlotte wants very little to move on from him he could be worth giving up a few 2nd rounders just to see if he is a fit with the young guys and is willing to behave and grow as a person with the Pistons.... could be both #1 to give Gores the change he promised as well as #2 to try to not be the worst team of all time and #3 a trial run before making a 3 or 4 year commitment to him.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,716

Post#80 » by Invictus88 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:11 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Part of it is Bridges is a hometown kid. He is from Flint,Mi and stayed home for school. The majority of the fanbase is going to welcome him being how devoid of talent we've been over the years despite the off court negatives.

Also I'm sure Bridges appreciated coming home and being cheered somewhere for once. Hes been getting booed all over the league. I think we have a real leg up over other teams on him due to the hometown connection.

Which sucks because what he did was awful and he isn't sorry for it. I don't want any part of him because of it. Period.

Return to Detroit Pistons