ImageImageImage

2024 Free Agency - Who Would YOU Want To Get The Max Contract?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Re: 2024 Free Agency - Who Would YOU Want To Get The Max Contract? 

Post#121 » by bstein14 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:51 pm

I feel like if we do sign Tobias, it will be at 3 years $90 million with the third year being almost entirely not guaranteed (Maybe $4 to $5 million guaranteed). This would allow Stewart two more years of development as a backup to see if he's then able to step back into the starting role to replace Tobias and it would also allow us to get out of his contract before we have possible extensions kick in for Duren and Ivey.

24-25: $29 million (Age 31)
25-26: $30 million (Age 32)
26-27: $31 million (Age 33) <<< Only $4 million guaranteed if Waved prior to June 20th 2026. >>>

I am personally not wanting to do this type of deal but I think its about what Weaver would do if Tobias ends up being the play. I can't see any other team offering that up. The only thing I can say, if the Clippers don't want to pay Paul George the max and Philly is able to land him perhaps the Clippers would match that type of deal in a double sign-and-trade.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#122 » by GreekAlex » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 pm

Canadafan wrote:^^^^if it's between him and Miles I'm team Tobias all day. Between him and Mikal that's a different story. I'd gladly give up our pick this year and a future 1st forthright Brooklynn Bridges(or Maarkenan)

The crazy thing is that we have enough cap space for 2 impact players, maybe one FA & one trade.

FA: Miles or Tobias
Trade: Mikal or Markkenen

Cade/ Sasser
Ivey/ Grimes
Mikal/ Ausar
Tobias/ Fontecchio
Duren/ Stew

Cade/ Sasser
Ivey/ Grimes
Miles/ Ausar
Markkenen/ Fontecchio
Duren/ Stew

Both of those lineups get me excited.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#123 » by Canadafan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:34 pm

^^^^I'll take it. Tobias and Bridges in a trade.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#124 » by GreekAlex » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:48 pm

Canadafan wrote:^^^^I'll take it. Tobias and Bridges in a trade.

That's probably the best-case scenario. 2 high-character veterans.

I'd call that a successful offseason.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#125 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:48 am

Since arriving here Fontecchio has played 29 MPG. Tobias Harris averages 33.9 MPG for the Sixers. If you extrapolate to per 36:

Fontecchio - 18.9 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.2 SPG on 49/43/84, 15.3 PER, 1.3 BPM, .097 WS/48

Harris - 18.2 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 3.3 APG, 1.1 SPG on 49/34/89, 16.3 PER, 0.7 BPM, .115 WS/48
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#126 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:03 am

Mr Peanut wrote:Since arriving here Fontecchio has played 29 MPG. Tobias Harris averages 33.9 MPG for the Sixers. If you extrapolate to per 36:

Fontecchio - 18.9 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.2 SPG on 49/43/84, 15.3 PER, 1.3 BPM, .097 WS/48

Harris - 18.2 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 3.3 APG, 1.1 SPG on 49/34/89, 16.3 PER, 0.7 BPM, .115 WS/48

Yup Tecch is a younger cheaper Harris. Honestly I think the only reason everyone is mentioning Harris is Edwards mentioned him and he was a former Piston.

I know I'm always beating this drum but I fully believe the best use of the cap is big game hunting whatever is on the market this offseason in a trade. This FA market sucks. The trade market almost always has some surprise names that pop up. We got the ammo to get anyone we just gotta see what is available.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#127 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:32 am

If Beef Stew, who projects as a good backup, can get $16M a year, I wonder what Fontecchio will command. He's pretty obviously a better player overall.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#128 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:07 pm

I'll say this and I'll duck. Jordan Poole.

*ducks from tomatoes flying*

Ok, hear me out. Dude looks pitiful body language wise because he's finding out what it is to be relied upon to be the #1 scorer with not much help. I think he's been humbled and would welcome being in a true team oriented system where he's getting kickouts and only having to create when he has the mismatch.

When he gets hot, his shooting next to Cade would be crazy. A Cade/Poole backcourt wouldn't be any worse defensively than Cade/Ivey. This would actually help stomach Ausar's lack of shooting in the lineup better. Washington got compensation for taking him on and if they're wanting to move past him to continue their rebuild in another direction we could just take him into capspace. Then we could use Ivey as instant offense in the 2nd unit or he could be a piece along with our pick to try to get Lauri.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#129 » by zeebneeb » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:20 pm

DetroitSho wrote:I'll say this and I'll duck. Jordan Poole.

Ok, hear me out. Dude looks pitiful body language wise because he's finding out what it is to be relied upon to be the #1 scorer with not much help. I think he's been humbled and would welcome being in a true team oriented system where he's getting kickouts and only having to create when he has the mismatch.

When he gets hot, his shooting next to Cade would be crazy. A Cade/Poole backcourt wouldn't be any worse defensively than Cade/Ivey. This would actually help stomach Ausar's lack of shooting in the lineup better. Washington got compensation for taking him on and if they're wanting to move past him to continue their rebuild in another direction we could just take him into capspace. Then we could use Ivey as instant offense in the 2nd unit or he could be a piece along with our pick to try to get Lauri.

I've been saying since the Ivey draft (I really wanted Mathurin) that a shooting/scoring guard next to Cade is the best bet.

I loathe Poole. I understand the sentiment, but I'll counter with Malik Monk(who I also have been championing for awhile)who is an UFA after the season, so the Pistons could just sign outright.

It would be a better use of assets. Then you could package Ivey+pick for a PF upgrade.

https://stathead.com//basketball/versus-finder.cgi?player_id2=monkma01&player_id1=poolejo01&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=poolejo01
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#130 » by Invictus88 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:22 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:If Beef Stew, who projects as a good backup, can get $16M a year, I wonder what Fontecchio will command. He's pretty obviously a better player overall.

Your implication that Stew is deserving of 16M is questionable and frankly is a bad precedent to start with.

Sadly if I'm Fontecchio's agent in negotiations your messaging is exactly what I lead with. It basically forces Weaver to either pay them or admit he made a mistake.

Just another example of the ineptitude of our FO giving away more money than it should have without real justification for doing so....
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#131 » by Invictus88 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:27 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

I've been saying since the Ivey draft (I really wanted Mathurin) that a shooting/scoring guard next to Cade is the best bet.

I loathe Poole. I understand the sentiment, but I'll counter with Malik Monk(who I also have been championing for awhile)who is an UFA after the season, so the Pistons could just sign outright.

It would be a better use of assets. Then you could package Ivey+pick for a PF upgrade.

https://stathead.com//basketball/versus-finder.cgi?player_id2=monkma01&player_id1=poolejo01&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=poolejo01

Am I wrong that Poole is still stinking up the joint from a bench role? And even when he was 1b next to Kuzma as a starter he was still bad; so I don't have high hopes he does better in a similar role here.

He's still a low IQ volume shooter that's way better suited as a tank commander.

I loved him at Michigan but that's as far as it goes. Hard pass; especially for what he is getting paid.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#132 » by zeebneeb » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:04 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Am I wrong that Poole is still stinking up the joint from a bench role? And even when he was 1b next to Kuzma as a starter he was still bad; so I don't have high hopes he does better in a similar role here.

He's still a low IQ volume shooter that's way better suited as a tank commander.

I loved him at Michigan but that's as far as it goes. Hard pass; especially for what he is getting paid.
No you are not wrong. Poole thinks very highly of himself, and hated going to the bench.

Monk is the better player, comes off the bench already, and has a killer attitude, and plays with ferocity.

He is two years older(26vs24) but I don't care. Monk is amazing athletically besides being a damn good shooter.

Hell, keep Ivey, and sign Monk as the teams Vinny Johnson, and use the Pick+Stewart for a PF upgrade.

Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Monk
Ausar/Grimes
FA/Tek
Duren/Wiseman

Interchangeable pieces all over the damn place.
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,439

Post#133 » by He Filled it Up » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:57 pm

Player A: 15.9 PTS, 2.6 REB, 3.5 AST, 41.8%/33.5%/87.5%
Player B: 15.9 PTS, 3.7 REB, 4.5 AST, 42.6%/33.9%/75.1%

One is Poole and the other is Ivey (career splits)...
Count that baby and a foul!
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Post#134 » by bstein14 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:07 am

If we could trade Ivey + pick for Lauri M I'd be 100% down and then I'd spend our cap space on one of Monk, Tyus Jones, or Quickley to play alongside Cade as the other starting guard.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#135 » by tmorgan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:44 am

He Filled it Up wrote:Player A: 15.9 PTS, 2.6 REB, 3.5 AST, 41.8%/33.5%/87.5%
Player B: 15.9 PTS, 3.7 REB, 4.5 AST, 42.6%/33.9%/75.1%

One is Poole and the other is Ivey (career splits)...

Yeah, but that’s more damning of Ivey than anything. At least he’s younger and has a bigger frame. And doesn’t make 30 million, lolz.
Muteboy
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#136 » by Muteboy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:38 am

Lots of talk around Tobias Harris. I'll just leave this here...

Read on Twitter
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#137 » by GreekAlex » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:48 am

Muteboy wrote:Lots of talk around Tobias Harris. I'll just leave this here...

Read on Twitter

I’ve completely cooled on him.

Miles Bridges too for that matter.

I’m hoping the top pick is Traded for Markkenen or Mikel Bridges.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#138 » by tmorgan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:49 am

I don’t see any reason to expect Tobias Harris to be better than Simone Fontecchio going forward. He’s a little bigger and a little slower, that’s about it. Give Tecc a nice deal and forget about Harris.
Muteboy
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#139 » by Muteboy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:12 am

tmorgan wrote:I don’t see any reason to expect Tobias Harris to be better than Simone Fontecchio going forward. He’s a little bigger and a little slower, that’s about it. Give Tecc a nice deal and forget about Harris.

100% this for me.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#140 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:27 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I've been saying since the Ivey draft (I really wanted Mathurin) that a shooting/scoring guard next to Cade is the best bet.

No you are not wrong. Poole thinks very highly of himself, and hated going to the bench.

Monk is the better player, comes off the bench already, and has a killer attitude, and plays with ferocity.

He is two years older(26vs24) but I don't care. Monk is amazing athletically besides being a damn good shooter.

Hell, keep Ivey, and sign Monk as the teams Vinny Johnson, and use the Pick+Stewart for a PF upgrade.

Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Monk
Ausar/Grimes
FA/Tek
Duren/Wiseman

Interchangeable pieces all over the damn place.

I’m a sucker for Poole. He was awesome in 2022 playoffs. So he’s proven he can play the well. The Draymond punch really sent things sideways for Poole and the Warriors.

Washington should hold on to him instead of trading him as his value has bottomed out. If we were to trade for him now, I would expect Washington to add some asset. We don’t really have any negative contracts to dump.

Return to Detroit Pistons