ImageImageImage

I'm flummoxed. Question. What's your plan?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,106

Re: I'm flummoxed. Question. What's your plan? 

Post#21 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:08 am

The fact that we wasted a half year of Sasser's development in a horrible season where we've desperately needed shooting and scoring at times so that we could give the ole Killian Hayes one more go with a new coach is flipping insanity. In a year where we were promised that guys would be needing to earn their minutes this season what a joke. First thing we need is accountability. Next thing we need are guys/vets to come in and help change this big time losing culture. The young core isn't enough we need good actual respected starting level NBA players... and probably two of them. So make the moves that need to be made to go out and get a couple of at least average NBA starters but hopefully above average.

If we land the #1 or #2 pick even in a weaker draft we should easily be able to trade that at least for a decent starting level player. Not sure we have the time or luxury to try to develop another young guy. I feel like Weaver's getting 20 games next season and if we're still a bottom 5 team he's gone.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#22 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:42 am

1. 3 yr/120 for Tobias Harris.
2. Re-sign Alec Burks
3. Draft our top 4 pick and hope he does something
4. Sign kyle Andersen to the MLE

Unit #1
Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Tobias
Duren

Bench Mob:
Sasser
Burks
Andersen
Draft Pick
Stewart

I think this is realistic. I also think it’s realistic that both 2 of Cade, Duren, and Ivey can play at an all star level next year. That should get us in strong play in contention.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 231

Post#23 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:17 am

Tear it down.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 470

Post#24 » by Crymson » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:48 am

Fire Monty, fire Weaver, trade away Morris and one of Burks or Bojan.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#25 » by ducler » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:14 am

Fire Gores. Oh **** that's not possible

My plan would be to evaluate our options, continue to keep flexibility and absolutely avoid a new Gordon/Villanueva or Smith situation.

We're bad for soooo long now, but I don't want to make a deal just for the sake of making one. I'd follow the OKC mold, build around youngsters with vets around shopped at deadlines for picks, but we have to be better at scouting and combining pieces together.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 102

Post#26 » by SuperBad » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:52 pm

I like combo guard city plan, I would just double down, try to keep Bojan as well as sign another cheap shooter like Gary Harris, and or in if not Bojan trade for Deandre Hunter, all these guys play like 65 games these days so unless you have elite players, I think it’s better to build a roster assuming everyone plays 65 games with goods, only one or two projects with potential
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#27 » by NYPiston » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:42 pm

There is no quick fix, there is no true external solution. People might not like to hear it but the fate of the future of the Pistons will rest almost entirely with this current core. The Pistons don't have the assets (thanks mainly to the Stewart trade) to make a franchise changing trade so everything will hinge on the development of Cade, Ivey, Ausar and Duren, I think we as a fanbase need to come to terms with that.

So what can they do then? First of all, they need to sell off a vet or two to build up some kind of asset base. Keeping all of Bogey, Burks and Morris would be dumb, makes no sense to hold on to guys that aren't moving the needle one bit and are aging as is.
They need to spend cap on guys that fit around the core, a stretch 4 namely. This is the modern NBA, Weaver needs to get with it FFS. Hell, maybe Miles Bridges is the answer as much as I can't stand the idea of my favorite team employing a human like that.
They need guys that play winning basketball, 2 way guys no more of these old guys that can shoot but can't play a lick of defense even if it's just a few bench guys.

I'll reiterate though. I think you guys should keep your expectations in check, I don't see any trades of one or more of the "Core 4" that will bring in a "savior". They're going to build around these guys not swap them out for somebody different.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, I'd try to get that pick back from the Knicks. That pick alone is destroying their asset base. Need to get that trade flexibility back.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,106

Post#28 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:49 pm

Harris $20
Wiseman $12.5
Bagley $12.5
Hayes $7.5
-----
First step is to stop spending $53 million on guys who aren't rotation worthy players. That's **** absurd and I know I beat the dead horse on Bagley/Hayes for years here but everyone here saw enough of Hayes to know he wasn't going to be worth that $7.5 million fourth year option just after watching him for two years. Everyone here pretty much immediately hated the Harris trade just before FA started. Our young guys simply aren't/weren't good enough to go out there and win 25+ games this year without using that money on actual NBA talent.

Next year our 11-15 players should be Knox @ league min, 2nd round pick at league min, vet big at league min, and maybe some other FA for slightly more than the minimum. We need all of our $$$$ going to guys who are going to be 1-9 in the rotation and Sasser is also super cheap as hopefully our 10th man.

Last thing we need to do is be giving out $7+ to $13+ million deals fringe rotation players. Go get some starters.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,494

Post#29 » by Canadafan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:11 pm

My new and revised plan, which changes from hour to hour;

Accept the fact that nobody will or wants to sign with us this summer.
Bypass the feeling of a Joe Harris type deal by acquiring players now instead of waiting till the summer.
Keep our 3-4vets this summer. Wink wink handshake deals in place now so we don't lose them for nothing.
Trade Wiseman+Hayes(approx$20 mil)plus whatever draft picks needed(2nds,future 1st or swaps) and Harris(approx$20mil)plus whatever draft picks needed, in separate deals, for the long term contracts of Kuzma(yes I said his name)and DeAndre Hunter.

Duren28 Stew20 Muscala
Kuzma32 Bojan16 Galinari
Hunter28 Ausur20 Bojan
Ivey32 Sasser16 Burks
Cade32 Morris 16

If our wink wink handshake deals aren't solidified, trade Bojan+Burks for Wiggins.
LSV
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#30 » by LSV » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:20 pm

Trade Bojan, and if possible also Hayes, Wiseman and Harris. I would let these last 3 go in the summer, if they are not traded now.
Trade Gallinari, it seems Lakers is interested.
Trade Morris, it seems Minnesota is interested. Trade for Naz Reid?
Renew Burks for 2+1 seasons.
Renew Muscala for 1+1 seasons.
Give Tobias Harris FA money.
And look in FA for a 3&D that you know can work and wants to come to Detroit.

Cade
Ivey
3&d (NEW)
Tobias Harris (NEW)
Duren

Sasser
Burks
Ausar
Naz Reid (NEW)
Stewart / Muscala
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#31 » by Piston Pete » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:02 pm

Sleeper PF to go after — Jalen Smith (24 years old)

In only 18 minutes per this season:

10.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 0.7 blocks, 62% FG, 70% FT, 47% from 3.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#32 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:50 am

Or make a run at GG Jackson? He’s been getting more PT in Memphis lately and looking pretty good!
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#33 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:44 am

Piston Pete wrote:Or make a run at GG Jackson? He’s been getting more PT in Memphis lately and looking pretty good!

Well, scratch that one…

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=FKtR2fxMNJOdyh99SM8kYg[/x]
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#34 » by vege » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:52 am

Piston Pete wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Or make a run at GG Jackson? He’s been getting more PT in Memphis lately and looking pretty good!

Well, scratch that one…

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=FKtR2fxMNJOdyh99SM8kYg[/x]

It doesn't make sense for us. He have a PF size, and PF skillset. Weaver is alergic to those.
uncleoswald
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#35 » by uncleoswald » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:09 pm

i'd like to see the team convert cade into a small forward and acquire a new primary ballhandler. i don't think cade would like that, but i don't see him as a face of the franchise-type player. i think we'll go for that position in free agency, and/or a big power forward. next year's team could have:

PG: sasser/FA or draft
SG: ivey/grimes
SF: cade/fontecchio
PF: ausar/FA or draft
C: duren/stewart/muscala

Return to Detroit Pistons