ImageImageImage

I'm flummoxed. Question. What's your plan?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,930

I'm flummoxed. Question. What's your plan? 

Post#1 » by zeebneeb » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:50 am

I have never been more puzzled on how to fix a team then I am now. This teams future is so damned fuzzy, I don't see a way out.

So my question is this;

How would YOU fix this team before the start of next season?

Here are the requirements;

1.)It has to be for next season, not 2, or 3 seasons from now.

2.)Team has to be competitive, and win at least 30 games

I dont care how you get it done, im just wondering how many other Piston fans are as confused on what to do as I am. No judgement on what you do, just on if you can get the required results.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,721

Re: I'm flummoxed. Question. What's your plan? 

Post#2 » by Cowology » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:04 am

I actually think our current roster should be capable of winning 30 games IF healthy and IF well coached. We could use a little good luck. Can we get that?

Outside of that...

I don't see Monty going anywhere, so ultimately we need to try and adjust the roster to whatever fits his system. Who are the pieces being misused right now? Those are the guys we need to try and flip out for better fits, kinda regardless of where we drafted them or how they got here. No place for sentiment or emotions; this is gotta be about productivity and who is able to perform in the role they are being asked to fill.

I was vocal about wanting a guy like Mike Conley about 2 years ago and I think that still rings true. Our vets just don't bring a ton of toughness or leadership. I'd kill for a Horford/Haslem type. Cade isn't ready to lead this team and half the fans think Bogey should be traded.

I dunno, I guess I'm just sorta rambling now and don't really have an answer... so yeah.... **** ****. ****
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,085

Post#3 » by joedumars1 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:08 am

Health. Since they ain’t going to move bojan keep him, bring in two other vets pf/sf shoot 36% from 3 preferably. Hope our first overall pick can contribute right away. Internal development from cade duren Ivey ausar Sasser. That’s the plan, as sad as it may seem.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,292

Post#4 » by vege » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:25 am

Cowology wrote:
I don't see Monty going anywhere, so ultimately we need to try and adjust the roster to whatever fits his system. Who are the pieces being misused right now? Those are the guys we need to try and flip out for better fits, kinda regardless of where we drafted them or how they got here. No place for sentiment or emotions; this is gotta be about productivity and who is able to perform in the role they are being asked to fill.

Bingo.

That's why I've been saying we should trade Ivey for Cam Johnson. It would ballance the team and give a player Monty likes and understand his system and fit well.

We also need a veteran guard, it could be a healthy Monte Morris, or could be someone better, but if we add a guard that can defend, take care of the ball and shoot around 40% from 3's and Cam Johnson, we could play Cade/Ausar/Duren together and we would be a functional team and win 30+ games if the bench is also functional.

Right now we're trying to build around 4 young players that are bad shooters and 3 of them are bad defenders, and we are surrounding them with guys that can't defend or shoot. It's not going to work.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,371

Post#5 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:42 am

Wait until draft day put together a package with top 5 pick+one of the core 4(ideally Ivey) and make a trade for the most talented player we can get. I like D.Murray as many know. Others might like someone else. Get us the best guy we can land.

So I move Ivey+pick+whatever else in 3 way deal get us Murray. Maybe Vege gets us Cam J and Biglip is aiming unknown guy on the market you get the idea.

Now I bring home Miles Bridges the best FA on the market.

Duren
Stew
Bridges
Murray
Cade

Still have Ausar if he can shoot the 3pter ever hes a starter.

This lineup has spacing, defense, youth, and upside.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,374

Post#6 » by Spider156 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:52 am

zeebneeb wrote:I have never been more puzzled on how to fix a team then I am now. This teams future is so damned fuzzy, I don't see a way out.

So my question is this;

How would YOU fix this team before the start of next season?

Here are the requirements;

1.)It has to be for next season, not 2, or 3 seasons from now.

2.)Team has to be competitive, and win at least 30 games

I dont care how you get it done, im just wondering how many other Piston fans are as confused on what to do as I am. No judgement on what you do, just on if you can get the required results.

Pretty easily brother.
1. Get a starting PF
2. Get a starting SF
3. Cade Ivey Duren need to grow older, simple as this alone will make us better. They need to get better on defense all of them. That's only going to come with time, it's not something to learn overnight. Takes years.

How? Well you gotta get guys like Grant Williams, Strus, Kyle Kuzma, gotta get solid rotational pieces like Royce Oneal is solid.
1. So all in on Tobias Harris, 40m a year, give him 120m, no questions asked. He's very professional, two sided player, durable and available. PAY THE MAN.
2. Draft best available, ideally a forward.
3. Sign MLE contract for an additional wing.

The problem? Weaver has refused to do these moves for 2 years straight now and i have no idea why. Our wings have been a glaring obvious weakness since trading Jerami Grant. Why isn't he trading for Jerami? We have an idiot in the front office.
Defense wins championships
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#7 » by zeebneeb » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:08 am

So in keeping with what I said, I won't talk about the ideas themselves, only if I think the moves would indeed out the team back on the correct trajectory.

So far, Buzz has the plan most likely to do so, but Spiders is a close damn second. I am unsure if adding Harris is enough to add what would be almost 20 wins next year.

I'm out on Grant Williams, not a needle movers, out on Kuzma, don't think he's gonna push the team to 30 either, but Royce I like, and combined with Harris seems promising.

I would like to hit a homerun like Mikal Bridges, or Naz, but both seem exceedingly unlikely, without losing half the damn team lol.

Great start!
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by Cowology » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:09 am

vege wrote:
Cowology wrote:

Bingo.

That's why I've been saying we should trade Ivey for Cam Johnson. It would ballance the team and give a player Monty likes and understand his system and fit well.

We also need a veteran guard, it could be a healthy Monte Morris, or could be someone better, but if we add a guard that can defend, take care of the ball and shoot around 40% from 3's and Cam Johnson, we could play Cade/Ausar/Duren together and we would be a functional team and win 30+ games if the bench is also functional.

Right now we're trying to build around 4 young players that are bad shooters and 3 of them are bad defenders, and we are surrounding them with guys that can't defend or shoot. It's not going to work.
For the first time in 15 years vege and I are in complete agreement. Nice work Weaver.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Cowology » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:11 am

Frankly, I think we *should* be willing to package 2 of Cade/Ivey/Duren/Ausar. Yep. I said it. GO GET A REAL PLAYER.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#10 » by zeebneeb » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:15 am

Cowology wrote:Frankly, I think we *should* be willing to package 2 of Cade/Ivey/Duren/Ausar. Yep. I said it. GO GET A REAL PLAYER.
Present the plan Cow!

I think this thread can help a lot of suffering Piston fans, and focusing on results, and not bickering about the actual move is best.

The goal is at least 30 wins.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:16 am

zeebneeb wrote:So in keeping with what I said, I won't talk about the ideas themselves, only if I think the moves would indeed out the team back on the correct trajectory.

So far, Buzz has the plan most likely to do so, but Spiders is a close damn second. I am unsure if adding Harris is enough to add what would be almost 20 wins next year.

I'm out on Grant Williams, not a needle movers, out on Kuzma, don't think he's gonna push the team to 30 either, but Royce I like, and combined with Harris seems promising.

I would like to hit a homerun like Mikal Bridges, or Naz, but both seem exceedingly unlikely, without losing half the damn team lol.

Great start!

Oh yeah Mikal would be a massive home run. I'm under the impression hes not even on the market though. Word was the Rockets offered Jalen Green+other stuff for him and the Nets arent moving him.

There was a thread about Mikal when he was still on the Suns where some people here wanted to go after him myself included. Many said it would cost to much at that time. Obv he broke out with the Nets now everyone wants him. Sometimes you gotta take a risk and hope the change of scenery causes the breakout because once the guy is already there like Mikal their hard AF to get.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,278

Post#12 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:18 am

Cowology wrote:Frankly, I think we *should* be willing to package 2 of Cade/Ivey/Duren/Ausar. Yep. I said it. GO GET A REAL PLAYER.

I don’t blame your frustration but it’s short sighted.

3 out of the 4 haven’t even played 2 seasons.

Good organizations develop young talent.

I’m not ready to cut bait.

Just surround them with more TALENT.

They’ve been competitive in every game since the teams been healthy and we don’t have a real PF.

Kevin Knox who was unsigned into the season is a starter for us. Let that sink in.

We just need more high IQ vets that can shoot.

It’s not a difficult recipe.

Look at the difference Gallo & Muscala have made and on most teams, they’re end of the bench guys at this stage of their careers.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,946

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:20 am

This.

I’m not out on any of these guys individually, but collectively they don’t constitute a winning core, now or in the future.

As to the original question- wizardry? Is that cheating?
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#14 » by DBC10 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:27 am

GreekAlex wrote:

They’ve been competitive in every game since the teams been healthy and we don’t have a real PF.

Kevin Knox who was unsigned into the season is a starter for us. Let that sink in.

They also don't have a real coach either. They're being competitive and won 6 games in spite of Monty's lineups, out of time out plays, and general malaise in coaching

This notion that he's a more permanent fixture going forward and thus plan around that fact is short sighted and will cost us young players. That's not a good thing. Coaches regularly get canned and all it takes is another fever pitch and Gores swallowing his pride for a micro second for it to happen

GreekAlex wrote:Look at the difference Gallo & Muscala have made and on most teams, they’re end of the bench guys at this stage of their careers.

This is also on Weaver too for having at one point Bagley, Wiseman, Livers, and Hayes too long while also endorse giving Stew such an outsized role in the starting lineup masquerading as a full fledged PF when he's really not

As for the answer, if you absolutely want 30 wins, then you have to have a package around Cade + another young core piece to get hopefully an all-star, almost all-star or former all-star type guy and build around them. As good as a player Cade can be, he's not ready yet to give you 30+ wins by having him + a bunch of decent role players
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:35 am

Has their ever been a coach on a NON CONTENDER signed to be the highest paid coach ITL for 6 years with guaranteed money that just got fired right away? I could understand if we were a good team to begin with and we got worse or stayed the same and had a LBJ type vet who said the coach has gotta to go. If it was a hookers and blow or gambling situation that doesnt count as Monty is known as a great family man and all that stuff.

This team has been the worst team ITL for years now. Its not like us continuing to be awful is some huge shocker or anything. The coach hand picked by the owner will just blame the roster. Troy Weaver will be fired before Monty because hes been the guy thats been here for years.

Not endorsing Monty he stinks. I'm just being logical on the situation. Monty is being paid in that Greg P elite coach range where the coaches get to have GM like pull on the roster each year. Hes not being paid as a stop gap type guy whatsoever.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#16 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:37 am

DBC10 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

They also don't have a real coach either. They're being competitive and won 6 games in spite of Monty's lineups, out of time out plays, and general malaise in coaching

This notion that he's a more permanent fixture going forward and thus plan around that fact is short sighted and will cost us young players. That's not a good thing. Coaches regularly get canned and all it takes is another fever pitch and Gores swallowing his pride for a micro second for it to happen

GreekAlex wrote:Look at the difference Gallo & Muscala have made and on most teams, they’re end of the bench guys at this stage of their careers.

This is also on Weaver too for having at one point Bagley, Wiseman, Livers, and Hayes too long while also endorse giving Stew such an outsized role in the starting lineup masquerading as a full fledged PF when he's really not

I agree, a lot of the streak of not being competitive was injuries and Monty playing bad personnel.

Unfortunately it’s the hand he was dealt by weaver but he still deserves blame for not playing the cards properly.

Unless the front office told him to spend this season sifting through the trash and see if he could polish any coal into a diamond, I guess it’s just Monty playing the long game since this is year one for him and his lengthy contract gives him security.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#17 » by zeebneeb » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:39 am

Snakebites wrote:

This.

I’m not out on any of these guys individually, but collectively they don’t constitute a winning core, now or in the future.

As to the original question- wizardry? Is that cheating?
:lol: for this team? Put together a wizardly package! Let's find out if it works!
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#18 » by kpt » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:39 am

Not that logical yet it would be entertaining

Sarr
Zion for Ausar, Duren, Harris, filler and a first 2029
Cade
Ivey
Miles

Morris
Sasser
Stewart
Knox
Bog
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#19 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:43 am

kpt wrote:Not that logical yet it would be entertaining

Sarr
Zion for Ausar, Duren, Harris, filler and a first 2029
Cade
Ivey
Miles

Morris
Sasser
Stewart
Knox
Bog

I want no part of injury prone players, especially those with eating disorders.

No to Lavine, Deandre Hunter, or Zion :noway:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,946

Post#20 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:00 am

I'd start by getting whatever you can for the majority of our vets.

They may or may not carry much value right now. But if you're going to sell us on making a big play in the offseason, we need picks. Get whatever meager draft capital you can get for our veterans- any amount might help when facilitating trades- we've seen the trade value pure cap space has- it isn't much.

If you're going to commit to making big moves in the offseason then put yourself in a position to make those moves. You don't do that by holding onto expiring vets until they expire and are no longer your assets.

Return to Detroit Pistons