ImageImageImage

Coach needs to coach!

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Coach needs to coach! 

Post#1 » by kpt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:39 am

Monty needs to figure a way to have both Cade and Ivey him. Haven’t seen them both play their game together. It’s on coach to get the most of his players.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Re: Coach needs to coach! 

Post#2 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:42 am

Cade and Jaden both have a diverse skillet.

There’s no reason why there can’t be more synergy when they play together.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,746

Post#3 » by Cowology » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:23 am

I have been pushing back against Cade being our PG since we drafted him. He's more (poor mans) Kobe/Wade. He can run your offense, but really he's at his best when he's being aggressive and looking to score. Casey sorta understood that, which is why we always tried to pair Cade with another PG like CoJo/Hayes etc. We didn't want him holding the ball.

If poor-mans Luka is the best modern comparison, then Dal also went out of their way to get another ball-handler out there; Brunson/Dinwiddie/Kyrie. Even IF Cade winds up averaging 30/10/7 this helio-centric crap isn't going to get the team anywhere. Part of that is on coach, but Cade doesn't get off the hook either. He simply needs to make quicker decisions/take quicker actions. Attack or move the ball.

Regardless, Ivey should be pushing the ball in transition and probing the defense early. Cade is where you go in your half-court after you've already looked for your early offense opportunity. The offense flows better and Cade gets some different/better opportunities when defenses aren't loaded up on him.

It's not hopeless, but it's not a good sign when Killian Hayes has a better win % than you. Obviously Cade is the most talented guy on the roster, but we gotta figure out a better way to use him. When he's healthy. sigh...
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#4 » by tmorgan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:30 am

I want us to run out Sasser-Ivey-Cade at the 1-2-3 for a while. Back off on Cade’s usage, try to keep two of those guys on the floor most of the time. Ausar and Fontecchio can back up the 3 and start at the 4. Move Bojan tomorrow. Duren at the 5, with Stew (once healthy) being the backup big at both spots.

I get that makes us a lot smaller… but it doesn’t make us particularly small for today’s NBA. We can run more, which benefits everyone I listed except Cade and Stewart. We’ll still rebound pretty well if Ausar gets his minutes. Just try it.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#5 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:36 am

Cade should play the same role as Bojan as a score first guy. Get buckets him pounding the rock being a super slow PG ain't it, also he need to start playing some defense.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#6 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:40 am

Cade being told his whole life that he’s this maestro savant has led him to believe that he needs to slowly orchestrate the offense.

Hopefully the coach and organization can rewrite the thought process so he sees himself in a different role.

I doubt he played this style with the USA select team with other elite players.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#7 » by tmorgan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:49 am

GreekAlex wrote:Cade being told his whole life that he’s this maestro savant has led him to believe that he needs to slowly orchestrate the offense.

Hopefully the coach and organization can rewrite the thought process so he sees himself in a different role.

I doubt he played this style with the USA select team with other elite players.

Except he did, because they wanted him to. It worked better with better teammates, go figure.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#8 » by kpt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:05 pm

We do have special unique talents on our team, and with this coach needs to be innovative and creative, and how to get the best out of them. A big point guard who can get to his spot, a fast as hell point guard that can take anyone off the dribble and in transition, good young Big who can bring the ball up and is a good finisher, a Swiss Army knife that can’t shoot yet is a great athlete. This is all on Monty to get creative and not stuck in an old way from an old team. I just haven’t seen it from him yet.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#9 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:11 pm

I have really soured on captain broccoli over the past month, but he is supremely talented.

He has to be shifted into the scoring role, with some passing mixed in. Ivey can be that dominant PG, who breaks down offenses and gets the ball moving.

Cade has a complete bag, and can average 30 a night, but its going to have to be in the SG/SF role, period.

Sadly, this will never come to pass with this coach, and front office.

Remember, if it's obvious to us, it is invisible to the brain trust. It's better to accept that now, so the disappointment is a lot, lot lower.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#10 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:21 pm

G: Duren (29) / Stew (19)
F: Bojan (29) / Ausar (19)
F: Cade (32) / Font (16)
G: Sasser (24) / Burks (24)
G: Ivey(32) / Killian (16)

10 man rotation doesn't too bad.... I think since Cade added weight he's hard a hard time staying in front of guards... not that it matters a ton because they can get quicker guys switched onto him.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#11 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:00 pm

Who’s the “Ben Johnson” of the NBA? Because it clearly isn’t Monty.

Maybe Monty can be the development guy and motivator but we need to bring in an “offensive coordinator”.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#12 » by Mr. Krabs » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:08 pm

monty williams is not a real coach so your point is moot

it is important now to acknowledge that we are at a disadvantage in the coaching position. so anything that a good coach does to develop players or adjust rotations won't be done, and the team needs to find ways to win despite this.

if any other team in the nba thought they want a coach like monty williams, they would hire bozo the clown
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:10 pm

Monty will be a cautionary example for other franchises.

If a coach isn’t interested, don’t keep throwing money at him. Money doesn’t buy investment.

I don’t think he’s trying to get fired. But, whether he’ll admit it or not (even to himself), I just don’t think he cares all that much.
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#14 » by keepitrealhomes » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:52 pm

Snakebites wrote:Monty will be a cautionary example for other franchises.

If a coach isn’t interested, don’t keep throwing money at him. Money doesn’t buy investment.

I don’t think he’s trying to get fired. But, whether he’ll admit it or not (even to himself), I just don’t think he cares all that much.

I do think there’s a good chance that weaver was in his ear about trying to play the guys he would most likely try to trade this year, for what it’s worth.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#15 » by Canadafan » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:15 pm

I love our coach lol

Read on Twitter
?t=TgqszTStFVHx4bux5Y_prw&s=19
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#16 » by MotownMadness » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:17 pm

Canadafan wrote:I love our coach lol

Read on Twitter

:lol:
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#17 » by Invictus88 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:23 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

Read on Twitter

So sayeth Captain Oblivious...
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#18 » by Canadafan » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:16 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

Read on Twitter

The guy is an absolute genius :lol:
I get it now, how he gets paid soooo much
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#19 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:47 am

So stagger Cade with Sasser and Ivey with Grimes ....
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#20 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:03 am

He doesn’t want to coach, but he likes the paycheck

Return to Detroit Pistons