ImageImageImage

Bojan & Burks to the Knicks (Woj)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Re: Bojan & Burks to the Knicks (Woj) 

Post#141 » by tmorgan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:27 pm

Zeeb, I am also optimistic about Grimes, but there’s just no way he’s gonna approach 20 ppg ever.

Unless his bs about “having a lot more to offer” is completely legit and not just typical player blustering, he just isn’t a creator. He can shoot for sure, but his high end outcome is much closer to Duncan Robinson with excellent defense than anything else. Now don’t get me wrong — that’s a good, really good, player — but live dribble creation probably isn’t a realistic expectation. He’s 3&D thru and thru.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Re: Burks to the Knicks (Woj) 

Post#142 » by NYPiston » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:28 pm

bstein14 wrote:
35 wins in 2027 would most likely be the 9th or 10th pick which the Knicks would get that year instead of a second.

That said the numbers you putting up there don't seem realistic to me at all if we spend our money this summer on actual good NBA players.

2024 = 20 wins
2025 = 35 wins
2026 = 40 wins
2027 = 45 wins
I'd say those are a lot more realistic if our young core develops and we add talent with all that cap space. If we spend $65 million and we win just 25 games next year, after we won 23 in Cade's rookie year playing guys like Killian, Bey, Bagley, etc.... then our young "talent" is really awful.

This whole thing is a failure if they're only a 40 win team 3 years from now and 45 in 4 years.
I know it seems far fetched because, well, they're a 9 win team now but with all these high picks maturing, another high pick on the way and loads of cap space, 30-35 needs to be the goal next season then playoffs 2 years from now (7-8 seed) otherwise... what exactly is the purpose of all this?

Oh wait, unless you were counting 2025 as next year then, yeah, I agree with that timeline. I'd still like to think that this is better than a 45 win team 3 years from now with all the high picks they have on the roster.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#143 » by Invictus88 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:59 pm

It's interesting seeing the almost instant buyer's remorse in the corresponding trade thread in the Knicks board. The last few pages are filled with posts about Burks "not being good at anything except taking hard shots" and Bogey being a defensive sieve. They seem to think that once he gets used to their system that he will be better on that end...
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Post#144 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:10 pm

Invictus88 wrote:It's interesting seeing the almost instant buyer's remorse in the corresponding trade thread in the Knicks board. The last few pages are filled with posts about Burks "not being good at anything except taking hard shots" and Bogey being a defensive sieve. They seem to think that once he gets used to their system that he will be better on that end...

It'll be interesting to see if they pick up his $18 million option for next year. I would have assumed yes but I suppose it will depend on how much Tom Thibadeau hates his lack of D.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Post#145 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm

bstein14 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:It's interesting seeing the almost instant buyer's remorse in the corresponding trade thread in the Knicks board. The last few pages are filled with posts about Burks "not being good at anything except taking hard shots" and Bogey being a defensive sieve. They seem to think that once he gets used to their system that he will be better on that end...

It'll be interesting to see if they pick up his $18 million option for next year. I would have assumed yes but I suppose it will depend on how much Tom Thibadeau hates his lack of D.

The Knicks board is blowing up with negativity about the trade right now. It's funny how quickly that did a 180 from "Knicks won the trade deadline" to "these guys can't play", and they can't play defense. Bogs can score, but his +/- is ugly. That's a questionable stat to rely on over just a few games, but Grimes at least could defend, so I agree with basically everyone on the Knicks board. It wasn't a good trade for us.

As far as picking up the option. Leon loves wheeling and dealing. They could try to flip Bogs in a trade this summer or next trade deadline, so I'm pretty confident that will be picked up.

When healthy, OG is our Small forward. Randle is our PF and little known Precious Achiuwa has stepped up and won the backup PF spot. Bogs would be limited to backup SF minutes and even there, Josh Hart will probably steal time from him, ,so . . . he went from 20 PPG player and trade deadline darling to, potentially a 5-10 minutes per game guy on NY. Time will tell, but I could see that happening. Even in that case, I think NY picks up his option.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#146 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:08 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

The Knicks board is blowing up with negativity about the trade right now. It's funny how quickly that did a 180 from "Knicks won the trade deadline" to "these guys can't play", and they can't play defense. Bogs can score, but his +/- is ugly. That's a questionable stat to rely on over just a few games, but Grimes at least could defend, so I agree with basically everyone on the Knicks board. It wasn't a good trade for us.

As far as picking up the option. Leon loves wheeling and dealing. They could try to flip Bogs in a trade this summer or next trade deadline, so I'm pretty confident that will be picked up.

When healthy, OG is our Small forward. Randle is our PF and little known Precious Achiuwa has stepped up and won the backup PF spot. Bogs would be limited to backup SF minutes and even there, Josh Hart will probably steal time from him, ,so . . . he went from 20 PPG player and trade deadline darling to, potentially a 5-10 minutes per game guy on NY. Time will tell, but I could see that happening. Even in that case, I think NY picks up his option.

It is interesting watching how trades play out. Knicks got more scoring while Pistons got a younger, likely solid rotation player. It could be a win-win if BB gets some solid scoring in the playoffs.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#147 » by MotownMadness » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 pm

Glad we made that move
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#148 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:34 am

Burks (and Bojan to a lesser extent) have been brutal since the trade.

Burks: 7.7 PPG on 32% FG and 29% 3PT (TS% 42), PER 5.3, -10.0 BPM (that is a historically bad BPM)

Bojan: 12.3 PPG on 41% FG and 37% 3PT (TS% 55), PER 9.7, -4.5 BPM

Grimes has had a slow start for us but he's had injury issues and he's only 23 years old with a lot of room to grow.

Burks is so terrible he will be out of NY's rotation soon and I doubt Bojan gets more than 15-20 mins per game once Randle is back.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#149 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 am

Let's not forgot that Grimes has been missing games for random injuries and is shooting 22% FG and 16% 3PT....i guess it makes me feel better about the trade that Burks and Bojan aren't exactly lighting it up either. In my mind, Grimes is just another guard who can't shoot (at least with any consistency) until he proves otherwise. I think shooting slumps was the reason NY fans wanted him gone in the first place...
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#150 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 am

Grimes' strength is defense. I'm all for having more competent wing defenders. But, yes, like everyone in the league just about, his long-term ceiling is going to be very dependent on his shooting, which has not been good for us yet.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Post#151 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 am

Moses ShamMoses wrote:Let's not forgot that Grimes has been missing games for random injuries and is shooting 22% FG and 16% 3PT....i guess it makes me feel better about the trade that Burks and Bojan aren't exactly lighting it up either. In my mind, Grimes is just another guard who can't shoot (at least with any consistency) until he proves otherwise. I think shooting slumps was the reason NY fans wanted him gone in the first place...

Grimes shot .381 (small sample size) and .386 from 3 as a rookie and sophomore. This year, as a knick he was down to .363 and his 2 pt% was down too. I attributed that to Brunson liking DiVincenzo better and him losing minutes.

The Knicks were high enough on Grimes that they didn't want to include him in the Donovan Mitchell package a year and a half ago (thought part of that was that he was our only 6'5 guard), but things changed pretty quick this year. I don't know if he's a bad shooter or if he's just having a bad year. Based on his 2022-23, he's a respectable shooter, which makes him a nice player.

Maybe it's injuries, maybe it's issues with playing time and struggles adjusting this year. Maybe 2022-23 was a bit of an outlier. or, it could be he's having a sophmore jinx in his 3rd season. I just don't know.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#152 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:01 am

This trade left us way to thin. Were now playing a bunch of gleaguers. It actually hinders development when the court is full of non NBA players.

BB and Burks might suck for the Knicks and suck on defense. They could at least hit open shots for us though. Grimes was damaged goods no faith he ever gives us anything.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#153 » by theBigLip » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:13 am

buzzkilloton wrote:This trade left us way to thin. Were now playing a bunch of gleaguers. It actually hinders development when the court is full of non NBA players.

Agree on our rotation tonight. Way thin on talent. Season is essentially over but hope the guys that are coming back are still working hard on their game. Wiseman looking better.

Still glad we made the trade. Burks didn’t do much for us this year. Bogdonovich of course could score, but we got $70M to find some younger shooters. And I’d like to see what a healthy Grimes looks like next year.

Return to Detroit Pistons