Bojan & Burks to the Knicks (Woj)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Re: Burks to the Knicks (Woj) 

Post#81 » by Billl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:11 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Billl wrote:It's pretty funny how many people toss around "we should trade xyz player for a first." Aging role players on the worst team in the NBA just don't have that kind of value. And certainly they don't have the value of one of our own picks with declining protections.
Didn't LA offer us a 1st a couple seasons ago for Bojan? I'd rather have that distance 1st than this trade.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

Fans always latch onto that type of reporting after the fact, but it's just some reporter speculating. Besides, Bojan is 34 now. He's still got a spot in the league, but aging guys who can shoot but not defend just don't have the much trade value. That's how we got him for cheap to begin with.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,755

Post#82 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:12 pm

Canadafan wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Yeah honestly it’s not bad.

It just went from amazing to fine IMO.

I would like to see the seconds though- if they’re decent it’s solid.

Burks and Bojan weren’t long term pieces. Sucks to see them go but it makes sense.

I get that people wanted the first back but that was never happening.
I am SUPER high on Grimes.

For those who don't know alot about him, he is a terror on defense, amd can hit insanely tough shots, amd is athletic.

He is primed for a breakout. I would have moved both Bojan/Burks for him. The two seconds, amd additional players are the cherry on top.

Grimes is 23 years old. Perfect fit!

Ivey
Grimes
Cade
Ausar
Duren

Grimes+Ausar is going to be amazing on defense. Wow!

Pumped! Hope you're right
Grimes is 100% effort out on the court. He never stops. I watch a ton of Knicks basketball, and he is gonna be a perfect fit here.

If comes off the bench, im gonna be pissed.

Ivey
Grimes
Cade
Ausar
Duren

From day one.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#83 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:16 pm

so Cade definitely sat out so we’d have some players to play today lol. The roster is gonna be decimated for tonight’s game.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#84 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:19 pm

BDM22 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Billl wrote:It's pretty funny how many people toss around "we should trade xyz player for a first." Aging role players on the worst team in the NBA just don't have that kind of value. And certainly they don't have the value of one of our own picks with declining protections.
Didn't LA offer us a 1st a couple seasons ago for Bojan? I'd rather have that distance 1st than this trade.

Last year grimes probably would have been worth a late 1st. We’ll see if he can get healthy and bounce back with a more consistent role here. Good thing is he’s locked up next year too, I think.

Could be the Pistons see more in him than they do in a late 1st in this draft, which is what they could maybe get in a best case scenario. Kinda like the Raptors trading a late 1st for Agbaji.
Idk that LA first could of been good I think it was 2027, Grimes is OK but he's another guy that has to develop and is a mediocre shooter. I'd would of just rather have good players now then have to hope he becomes a Burks level player in the future. Idk just don't see these 2nds and Grimes being any better than the guys we already had.

Championships
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#85 » by tmorgan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:20 pm

I like this one. Controllable young player with promise for an expiring and an option year.

Yea, it hurts the offense for this year. But it helps the defense, and it helps the future.

This made sense.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Re: Bojan to the Knicks too (Woj) 

Post#86 » by MotownMadness » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:26 pm

Watching the game last night made me realize he has to go. Ausar needs those mins and the other guys need the shot attempts.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#87 » by coordinator0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:28 pm

Seems a little light on return (with a lot of salary-match bloat) but I am 100% in favor of adding more defense to the rotation. Grimes and Fontecchio are going to make a significant impact to the rotation. Assuming Monty has any sore of reliable rotation-building from here on out.

I actually might miss Burks more than Bogey.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#88 » by NYPiston » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:29 pm

Neptune wrote:Good trade. We traded a 34 yr old scorer and 32 yr old scorer on the worst team in the league for a 23 yr old up-and-coming guy who plays defense and can shoot the 3. In addition, we got two 2nds.

Good deal

100%. I thought I was the only crazy one that liked the last two days of trades.

They swapped out 2 old one dimensional scorers that had no future here for two younger more well rounded players that could be a part of something going forward. I find the doom and gloom around here to be fascinating. I'm actually fairly excited for the rest of the season now to see how Grimes and Mr. Fettuccine fit.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#89 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:31 pm

coordinator0 wrote:Seems a little light on return (with a lot of salary-match bloat) but I am 100% in favor of adding more defense to the rotation. Grimes and Fontecchio are going to make a significant impact to the rotation. Assuming Monty has any sore of reliable rotation-building from here on out.

I actually might miss Burks more than Bogey.

Monty will figure out how to use Grimes and Fontecchio by next years’s deadline for sure.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#90 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:31 pm

Merged the Knicks trade threads
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#91 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:32 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:meanwhile olynyk and a dude called agbaji nets a 1st rounder

Do you have that very late first in a poor draft (least favorable of multiple picks including the Clippers who are rocking) as being better than Grimes and 2 seconds? I don’t.

And our pick would have been vastly more valuable than that.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#92 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:33 pm

theBigLip wrote:Merged the Knicks trade threads

Thanks! I thought they were 2 separate deals at first and I was just trying to share them as they were reported.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#93 » by NYPiston » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:34 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Last year grimes probably would have been worth a late 1st. We’ll see if he can get healthy and bounce back with a more consistent role here. Good thing is he’s locked up next year too, I think.

Could be the Pistons see more in him than they do in a late 1st in this draft, which is what they could maybe get in a best case scenario. Kinda like the Raptors trading a late 1st for Agbaji.

If you're getting a player like Grimes with a late 1st, that's a W. Late 1sts in the NBA aren't really worth that much, they're worth a lot more in the NFL and NHL.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#94 » by TPA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:37 pm

Man, Grimes had some good stretches as a starter for the Knicks last year. Seems when he's getting good consistent minutes, he can produce. 61.9% TS last year...
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4397014/type/nba/year/2023
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#95 » by Billl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:37 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Do you have that very late first in a poor draft (least favorable of multiple picks including the Clippers who are rocking) as being better than Grimes and 2 seconds? I don’t.

That "dude called agbaji" is about 18 months removed from being the #14 pick in the draft. He's the "value" going back to toronto, not kelly.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#96 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:41 pm

Billl wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

That "dude called agbaji" is about 18 months removed from being the #14 pick in the draft. He's the "value" going back to toronto, not kelly.

Even more so.

Anyone thinking we should have gotten our pick back for Bogey/Burks doesn’t have a realistic view of the value of our assets.

Plain and simple.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#97 » by TPA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:42 pm

TPA wrote:Man, Grimes had some good stretches as a starter for the Knicks last year. Seems when he's getting good consistent minutes, he can produce. 61.9% TS last year...
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4397014/type/nba/year/2023

Jesus! That dude was taking 5.7 3-pointers/game last year and banging almost 39%!!
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#98 » by whitehops » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:43 pm

i wonder how the trades were structured because malachi flynn couldn't be aggregated in a trade since he was traded for recently.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#99 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:49 pm

While the return isn't all that attractive, moving Burks and Bojan was definitely the right thing to do. Keeping those guys did nothing to improve Detroit's outlook. I get the notion that you need some vets on the team, which is completely valid. That said, I'm not sure why people thought it was imperative that Detroit held on to THIS crop of vets. What have people seen that would indicate these guys are having a substantial positive impact? Vets are needed, but with a team this bad getting different voices and approaches are also needed.

Burks has been a bit player his entire career, and he's never carried much value. There is a reason why the Knicks wanted to dump his salary on Detroit in the first place.

As I've alluded to a few times recently, Bojan was not worth what a lot of people thought he was. There is a reason why Ainge didn't find any teams that would give real value for him in the 2022 offseason. Yet some folks thought he was some kind of amazing pickup and Detroit pulled some wizardry on Utah.

I realize its not that simple as there are other pieces involved, but I do find it ironic that Utah was able to get a 1st for Olynyk, whom they originally got in return from Detroit in the Bojan trade.

I'm not really all that excited with Grimes in particular. But he represents the types of pickups Detroit should be getting. Everybody else coming to Detroit's way are 100% nothingburgers.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#100 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:While the return isn't all that attractive, moving Burks and Bojan was definitely the right thing to do. Keeping those guys did nothing to improve Detroit's outlook. I get the notion that you need some vets on the team, which is completely valid. That said, I'm not sure why people thought it was imperative that Detroit held on to THIS crop of vets. What have people seen that would indicate these guys are having a substantial positive impact? Vets are needed, but with a team this bad getting different voices and approaches are also needed.

Burks has been a bit player his entire career, and he's never carried much value. There is a reason why the Knicks wanted to dump his salary on Detroit in the first place.

As I've alluded to a few times recently, Bojan was not worth what a lot of people thought he was. There is a reason why Ainge didn't find any teams that would give real value for him in the 2022 offseason. Yet some folks thought he was some kind of amazing pickup and Detroit pulled some wizardry on Utah.

I realize its not that simple as there are other pieces involved, but I do find it ironic that Utah was able to get a 1st for Olynyk, whom they originally got in return from Detroit in the Bojan trade.

I'm not really all that excited with Grimes in particular. But he represents the types of pickups Detroit should be getting. Everybody else coming to Detroit's way are 100% nothingburgers.
Please stop saying Utah got a 1st for Olynyk. That's narrative-based wording.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons