ImageImageImage

Bojan & Burks to the Knicks (Woj)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Re: Bojan & Burks to the Knicks (Woj) 

Post#101 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:56 pm

I am on the fence on this trade, but hopefully this means more chances for Duren, Ausar, Ivey, and Sasser out there to put the ball in the basket. The rest of the year needs to be more about development anyways.

Grimes is on the books for $4.3 million next year and Fontecchio has just a $3.8 million cap hold so for about $8 million the Pistons added two rotation players and still preserved the most cap space of anyone in the league next year.

24/25 rotation

C: Duren / Stew
F: Big $$ FA / Ausar
F: Big $$$ FA / Fontecchio
G: Cade / Grimes
G: Ivey / Sasser

Then they'd also have the $8 million room exception if they felt like they needed an even further rotation player which would push one of those guys down to 11th man.... and of course they also have a top 5 draft pick as well but that might end up being traded to get one of the starters at the 3/4.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#102 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

bstein14 wrote:I am on the fence on this trade, but hopefully this means more chances for Duren, Ausar, Ivey, and Sasser out there to put the ball in the basket. The rest of the year needs to be more about development anyways.

Grimes is on the books for $4.3 million next year and Fontecchio has just a $3.8 million cap hold so for about $8 million the Pistons added two rotation players and still preserved the most cap space of anyone in the league next year.

24/25 rotation

Then they'd also have the $8 million room exception if they felt like they needed an even further rotation player which would push one of those guys down to 11th man.... and of course they also have a top 5 draft pick as well but that might end up being traded to get one of the starters at the 3/4.

This offseason is shaping up to be Ben Gordon/Charlie V 2.0 or worse trade Thompson for Lavine (using space) and a second round pick.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#103 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:10 pm

bstein14 wrote:I am on the fence on this trade, but hopefully this means more chances for Duren, Ausar, Ivey, and Sasser out there to put the ball in the basket. The rest of the year needs to be more about development anyways.

24/25 rotation

Who are the Big $$$ FAs you see coming to a 7 wins team in Detroit? I can't see anyone to be honest.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#104 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:24 pm

vege wrote:

24/25 rotation

Who are the Big $$$ FAs you see coming to a 7 wins team in Detroit? I can't see anyone to be honest.

Most likely is probably LeBron and Paul George.... The most smoke thus far has been about our interest in Tobias Harris and Miles Bridges.... from reports we were discussing a deal with Philly I wouldn't be surprised if that was a Bojan + Burks for Harris deal because we were wanting to bring him in in a way in which we would try to convince him to sign with us this summer.

As always, its entirely possible we absorb contracts in trades instead because another team is trying to land a FA. Tobias Harris, Miles Bridges, Klay Thompson, James Harden, Paul George, LeBron James, Pascal Siakam, Jrue Holiday, DeMar DeRozan, Buddy Hield, Bruce Brown, OG Anuoby, KCP, Malik Beasley, Alec Burks, Bojan Bogdonovich, Saddiq Bey, Malik Monk, Patrick Williams, Obi Toppin, Immanuel Quickley, Tyus Jones...

Because I think its possible for us to slide Cade to the SF spot, I don't think we should pigeon hole ourselves into thinking we should only look at wing players.

If we're willing to trade our pick and its top 3, I think that opens up a spot for a real difference maker as well that we could absorb with our cap space.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Re: Burks to the Knicks (Woj) 

Post#105 » by Mr. Krabs » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:30 pm

Billl wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:meanwhile olynyk and a dude called agbaji nets a 1st rounder

Do you have that very late first in a poor draft (least favorable of multiple picks including the Clippers who are rocking) as being better than Grimes and 2 seconds? I don’t.

And our pick would have been vastly more valuable than that.

That "dude called agbaji" is about 18 months removed from being the #14 pick in the draft. He's the "value" going back to toronto, not kelly.

he is 1 year older than Hayes and averages 3 points less per game on a .500 team, i would take a free shot at an actual starter (28th pick) any day
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#106 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:52 pm

I'm a bit on the fence on this trade.

Grimes has had a bit of a down year, but that is at least partially related to the Knicks crowded backcourt and playing in a offense where he doesn't get as many touches/shots. If he can get back to where he was last season and continue an upward trajectory then that would be ideal.

It would've been nice to get control of our first rounder back but it seems the Knicks wouldn't budge on that.

In reality, the deal is Grimes for Bojan and two seconds for Burks, all of the other players are just filler. Bojan is imminently turning 35 and was a real detriment to our defense, and Burks was expiring. So I think the value is actually OK. Arguably we could've got more for both of them last trade deadline or the off-season, but Weaver has proven that his asset management is not optimal.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Re: Bojan to the Knicks too (Woj) 

Post#107 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:58 pm

TPA wrote:
TPA wrote:Man, Grimes had some good stretches as a starter for the Knicks last year. Seems when he's getting good consistent minutes, he can produce. 61.9% TS last year...
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4397014/type/nba/year/2023

Jesus! That dude was taking 5.7 3-pointers/game last year and banging almost 39%!!
Preach!

People are not getting it.

Grimes is a real 3-D guy, but with extras. He is an animal on the court.

Bojan+Burks was worth him alone. The fact that warm bodies, amd 2 2nds came with him is madness to me.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#108 » by Piston Pete » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:53 pm

Adding Grimes makes sense. I just don’t see him making a big difference here. He might play 15-20 minutes per?

PG - Ivey / Sasser
SG - Cade / Grimes
SF - Fettuccine / Ausar
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#109 » by tradez401 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:24 pm

im sure weaver couldve gotten a better trade for both burks/bojan last trade deadline but he was too stubborn.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#110 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:38 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Adding Grimes makes sense. I just don’t see him making a big difference here. He might play 15-20 minutes per?

PG - Ivey / Sasser
SG - Cade / Grimes
SF - Fettuccine / Ausar
Grimes is a starter, without question. Monty is gonna come to that conclusion real damn quick.

Excellent D, and shooting. Big guard as well.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#111 » by Piston Pete » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:41 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Adding Grimes makes sense. I just don’t see him making a big difference here. He might play 15-20 minutes per?

PG - Ivey / Sasser
SG - Cade / Grimes
SF - Fettuccine / Ausar
Grimes is a starter, without question. Monty is gonna come to that conclusion real damn quick.

Only way he starts is if we push Cade to SF

Ivey / Sasser
Grimes / Ausar???
Cade / Fettuccine
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#112 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:43 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

PG - Ivey / Sasser
SG - Cade / Grimes
SF - Fettuccine / Ausar

Maybe this year but if he’s starting next year we have major issues.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#113 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:49 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

PG - Ivey / Sasser
SG - Cade / Grimes
SF - Fettuccine / Ausar

Not to me. Grimes is going to be either an all-star, or borderline one his whole career.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#114 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:57 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Grimes is a starter, without question. Monty is gonna come to that conclusion real damn quick.

Not to me. Grimes is going to be either an all-star, or borderline one his whole career.

Wow, that's a hot take.

Grimes hasn't been remotely close to all star caliber so far in his career. Hell he hasn't even been a regular starter, and has been playing less than Divincenzo. So I seriously doubt he'll ever even be a fringe All star caliber player. Would be awesome if he was though.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#115 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:59 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Grimes is a starter, without question. Monty is gonna come to that conclusion real damn quick.

I would love if you’re right but he seems more Josh Hart than All Star.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#116 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:53 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Maybe this year but if he’s starting next year we have major issues.

I would love if you’re right but he seems more Josh Hart than All Star.
Josh Hart is actually the impact I'm hoping for off the bench.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Post#117 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:04 am

Kilo wrote:I want the pick back dammit!

Knick fan. I come in peace.

(Pistons pick)
top 18 protected in 24,
top 13 in 2025
top 11 in 2026
top 9 in 2027 and defaults to a 2nd rounder in 2027 if it passes through those protections.

I think the question comes down to, how soon do you expect to get good? Play to Play or playoffs in 2026 or 2027, pick could be in the 13-19 range . . . ish. The highest the pick can be is #10 and probably, ,if it transfers, a few picks after that.

And you got Jalen Duren out of it, so that trade was pretty good for your team. Knicks won this trade . . . is what everyone is saying.

One thing I'm curious about. Fournier was a 40% and 41% 3 pt shooter the 2 years before joining NYK. 37.6% with us, not awful. I'm curious to see if he can replace Bojan reasonably well. Thibs wouldn't play him. Didn't care for his lack of defense at all.

Grimes was an interesting and solid rookie & sophomore, but struggled this year. I'm curious if he works out for you and where he'll get minutes. Will your team play some 3 guard lineups to give him more minutes? Will you flip Grimes or another one of your guards for a first rounder or something next year?

A lot of people are ecstatic about this trade for NYK, and I think Burkes is more reliable than Grimes. I think the jury is still out on how good this makes us. We need to get healthy first.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#118 » by GreekAlex » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:10 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:

Knick fan. I come in peace.

(Pistons pick)
top 18 protected in 24,
top 13 in 2025
top 11 in 2026
top 9 in 2027 and defaults to a 2nd rounder in 2027 if it passes through those protections.

I think the question comes down to, how soon do you expect to get good? Play to Play or playoffs in 2026 or 2027, pick could be in the 13-19 range . . . ish. The highest the pick can be is #10 and probably, ,if it transfers, a few picks after that.

And you got Jalen Duren out of it, so that trade was pretty good for your team. Knicks won this trade . . . is what everyone is saying.

One thing I'm curious about. Fournier was a 40% and 41% 3 pt shooter the 2 years before joining NYK. 37.6% with us, not awful. I'm curious to see if he can replace Bojan reasonably well. Thibs wouldn't play him. Didn't care for his lack of defense at all.

Grimes was an interesting and solid rookie & sophomore, but struggled this year. I'm curious if he works out for you and where he'll get minutes. Will your team play some 3 guard lineups to give him more minutes? Will you flip Grimes or another one of your guards for a first rounder or something next year?

A lot of people are ecstatic about this trade for NYK, and I think Burkes is more reliable than Grimes. I think the jury is still out on how good this makes us. We need to get healthy first.

I don’t mind having the pick tied up. It prevents the organization from trading it for a win now player when the team isn’t ready to win now.

I suspect you’ll wind up with a second.

We got Isiah Stewart, not Duren from trading that pick.

Rather than get the pick back, I would have liked if the Pistons renegotiated the protections.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Post#119 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:51 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

(Pistons pick)
top 18 protected in 24,
top 13 in 2025
top 11 in 2026

I don’t mind having the pick tied up. It prevents the organization from trading it for a win now player when the team isn’t ready to win now.

Rather than get the pick back, I would have liked if the Pistons renegotiated the protections.

It seems my memory is off on the trade. I hated the Jalen Duren trade by the way. I wanted him, but the Knicks wanted cap space and it helped us lock up both Brunson and Isiah Hartenstein, so they may have gotten that one right. I still hated that cap space trade at the time.

So, if I'm reading your post right, you think the PIstons will be bad for the next 3 seasons. Ouch. I hope that doesn't happen and we get a first round pick in 2026 or 2027 but you oould very easily end up being right.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#120 » by GreekAlex » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:02 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

(Pistons pick)
top 18 protected in 24,
top 13 in 2025
top 11 in 2026

It seems my memory is off on the trade. I hated the Jalen Duren trade by the way. I wanted him, but the Knicks wanted cap space and it helped us lock up both Brunson and Isiah Hartenstein, so they may have gotten that one right. I still hated that cap space trade at the time.

So, if I'm reading your post right, you think the PIstons will be bad for the next 3 seasons. Ouch. I hope that doesn't happen and we get a first round pick in 2026 or 2027 but you oould very easily end up being right.

I think we’ll be decent but I don’t see us making the playin next year (2025) unless there’s a crazy unexpected trade or signing.

I see the playin in 2026, maybe that year it will convey since it’s only top 11 protected.

Return to Detroit Pistons