ImageImageImage

Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,102

Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline. 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:58 pm

I'm not going to look at any players that would be UFA's next year I'm only looking at players who will be under contract or an RFA (with their cap hold) as well as picks.

Players that were under contract next year that were traded away: Bagley ($12.5 million)
Players that we acquired under contract or RFA for us next year: Quentin Grimes ($4.3mil) & Simone Fontecchio ($3.8mil cap hold)

Overall Weaver got rid of fringe rotation player Bagley's $12.5 million owed to him and replaced him with two actual rotation players while also increasing our cap space for 2024 by $4.4 million

Tons of 2nd round picks moved.
-2 Bagley
-1 Fontecchio (#32 or #33 most likely
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
Overall we netted one more 2nd rounder but the quality of the 2nd rounders are likely to be less than what we got back.
---------

We're in a better position to tackle this summer today than we were before the Bagley trade and other trades. If we really want anyone like Morris, Burks, or Bojan back I'm sure we can make them an offer this summer but it'll be nice for all those vets to get a chance to play some meaningful playoff basketball.

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
4. Ivey $8.0 <Age 21, will be 22 in a few days>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
7. Fontecchio ($3.8 cap hold) <Age 28>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>
9. Top 5 Draft Pick ($8-$13 million depending on where we land and if we keep it)
10. FA#1 $65 to $75 million in cap space depending on whether or not we keep our space
11. FA#2 Whatever we have left after our cap space is used signing our first player
12. $8 Room Exception we can spend on after we've used up our cap space
13-15 Minimum Salary guys like Knox, CoJo, etc.

That rotation has a chance to be really solid depending on what we are able to do with that cap space.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Re: Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline. 

Post#2 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:09 pm

I love the flexibility and the added emphasis on shooting & defense.

The only area that we’re lacking is veteran presence.

What is the average age of our team?

Is there a website or resource that I can check out to compare team ages after the roster is settled?

I’m guessing we’re the youngest in the league.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,102

Post#3 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:16 pm

GreekAlex wrote:I love the flexibility and the added emphasis on shooting & defense.

The only area that we’re lacking is veteran presence.

What is the average age of our team?

Is there a website or resource that I can check out to compare team ages after the roster is settled?

I’m guessing we’re the youngest in the league.

I edited it with the current ages of the guys likely here next year.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:37 pm

Need an athletic PF who can shoot, stretch the floor, and be at least average on defense.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#5 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:40 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Need an athletic PF who can shoot, stretch the floor, and be at least average on defense.

Miles Bridges has entered the conversation.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,820

Post#6 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:57 pm

bstein14 wrote:I'm not going to look at any players that would be UFA's next year I'm only looking at players who will be under contract or an RFA (with their cap hold) as well as picks.

Players that were under contract next year that were traded away: Bagley ($12.5 million)
Players that we acquired under contract or RFA for us next year: Quentin Grimes ($4.3mil) & Simone Fontecchio ($3.8mil cap hold)

Overall Weaver got rid of fringe rotation player Bagley's $12.5 million owed to him and replaced him with two actual rotation players while also increasing our cap space for 2024 by $4.4 million

-2 Bagley
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
Overall we netted one more 2nd rounder but the quality of the 2nd rounders are likely to be less than what we got back.
---------

We're in a better position to tackle this summer today than we were before the Bagley trade and other trades. If we really want anyone like Morris, Burks, or Bojan back I'm sure we can make them an offer this summer but it'll be nice for all those vets to get a chance to play some meaningful playoff basketball.

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>
9. Top 5 Draft Pick ($8-$13 million depending on where we land and if we keep it)
10. FA#1 $65 to $75 million in cap space depending on whether or not we keep our space
11. FA#2 Whatever we have left after our cap space is used signing our first player

That rotation has a chance to be really solid depending on what we are able to do with that cap space.

Great summary and nice to see all the ages as well. We really do have a great young core. They all need to improve of course, but this is a good start. Throw in a top 5 pick and a couple of free agents (OG, Bridges, ???), and we really have something worth watching.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,947

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:59 pm

I’d say I like it but don’t love it overall.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#8 » by Piston Pete » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:12 pm

Knicks trade was the worst. We gave up arguably the best two vets on the trade block (Bogey and Burks) and only got back Grimes and a pair of 2nd rounders.

Minnesota trade was disappointing as well. Morris is worth more than end of the bench types who won’t be here in a couple months.

Utah trade was decent.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,398

Post#9 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:17 pm

I'd say the overall return was underwhelming, but I think that's a natural feeling because as a fan as you tend to overvalue your own players and the perceived value they will bring back in a trade. The reality is that we probably never got great offers for Bogey/Burks, as the former is old and can't play defense and the latter is expiring (and also can't play defense). We've also been the worst team in the league this year so teams naturally question the value of players involved in that.

Ultimately we did net some draft capital (no first rounders unfortunately) and added a couple of good rotation players (Grimes, Fontecchio) who will be around next season. The real test will be how the cap space is spent this off-season.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#10 » by 440BB » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:26 pm

Adding decent three point shooters that can play average defense while waiving Hayes and Harris certainly moved us in the right direction. Troy Brown Jr may be worth a match as an RFA too. Glad we made no desperation move for an inefficient vet on the back end of their career.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Post#11 » by Laimbeer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:32 pm

Don't know if Fontecchio will be back.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#12 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:35 pm

440BB wrote:Adding decent three point shooters that can play average defense while waiving Hayes and Harris certainly moved us in the right direction. Troy Brown Jr may be worth a match as an RFA too. Glad we made no desperation move for an inefficient vet on the back end of their career.

No match needed for Troy Brown Jr. He’s got a $4M team option next season.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#13 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:36 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Don't know if Fontecchio will be back.

What makes you think that?

He’s a RFA. If we want to keep him, he’ll be here or we’ll be compensated in a S&T.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 448

Post#14 » by Sort » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:36 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:I'd say the overall return was underwhelming, but I think that's a natural feeling because as a fan as you tend to overvalue your own players and the perceived value they will bring back in a trade. The reality is that we probably never got great offers for Bogey/Burks, as the former is old and can't play defense and the latter is expiring (and also can't play defense). We've also been the worst team in the league this year so teams naturally question the value of players involved in that.

Ultimately we did net some draft capital (no first rounders unfortunately) and added a couple of good rotation players (Grimes, Fontecchio) who will be around next season. The real test will be how the cap space is spent this off-season.

I do like stepping more toward two-way players, and Burks was so streaky and his defense - on a team of bad defenders - was the worst. I didn't see much value. Bojan? He's a solid player who may be a turnstile on defense, but he was still smart and could keep the Pistons afloat. I don't know if Thibs will trust either one of these guys when playoffs get real.

How many players did the Pistons trade for? How many were just waived? I can't even keep track right now after working all day.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:36 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Don't know if Fontecchio will be back.

He'll be a restricted free agent, so I imagine Weaver will bring him back at about any cost.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#16 » by LaSheed » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:45 pm

I'm ok with it. Didn't hurt anything longterm.

Morris hurt all year and didn't shoot well. With the emergence of Sasser I was good with him leaving. Was excited when we got him & almost equally excited when he left.

Burks was excellent off the bench the last month or so. But after his start he was pretty awful up until then. 32 years old and expiring.

Bojan I'm just happy he's going to a contender. Going to be 35. We all know his defense but I'm glad to see him not rot here in Detroit.

I said long ago I'd take Grimes + Fournier for Bojan and Livers. Burks had 2 second round pick value so it equals out and good deal for contending Knicks.

We came to like these guys but at the end of the day we have 7 frikin wins. Definitely overvalued them. Super weak draft & Free Agency and it shows by how many real assets weren't moved this deadline. Alot of nothing being moved
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#17 » by kpt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:46 pm

bstein14 wrote:I'm not going to look at any players that would be UFA's next year I'm only looking at players who will be under contract or an RFA (with their cap hold) as well as picks.

-2 Bagley
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
---------

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>

This is a great feed. Thanks so much for putting it together.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#18 » by kpt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:55 pm

Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio
FA/FRP
Duren/Stewart/

Possibly resign Muscala. And obviously would be great to get a starting FA SF as well
Sort
Rookie
And1: 448

Post#19 » by Sort » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:01 pm

I thought this article was honest. It at least helped me understand what just happened and a little bit of why.

https://theathletic.com/5260836/2024/02/08/pistons-nba-trade-deadline-moves/
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,292

Post#20 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:03 pm

-2 Bagley
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
---------

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>

Bojan is under contract for next year. WTF

Return to Detroit Pistons