ImageImageImage

Time to face reality about Cade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Re: Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#61 » by Rip32 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Should have taken that Houston deal. Franchise players either have "it" or they don't. Again, I don't see that dawg mentality in Cade. I never saw it in Grant Hill either. We should really consider trading him. During the laker game, I watched a 39 year old player LeBron James looked faster than cade. It's sickening

Sent from my SM-A546U using RealGM mobile app

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#62 » by Neptune » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:00 pm

Rip32 wrote:Should have taken that Houston deal. Franchise players either have "it" or they don't. Again, I don't see that dawg mentality in Cade. I never saw it in Grant Hill either. We should really consider trading him. During the laker game, I watched a 39 year old player LeBron James looked faster than cade. It's sickening

Rumor has it that 39 year old also spends 1 million every summer on trainers for his body. Can't really compare Lebron to anyone is today's NBA.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#63 » by mattao313 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Cade is D'Angelo Russell 2.0 imo. Big slow combo guard that has to depend on hitting tough shots. If we got a good offer I'd trade him

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,265

Post#64 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:35 pm

The big red flag for me is his regression.

After short spurts of looking like a star, he then has long spans of uninspired play.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,802

Post#65 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:01 pm

Rip32 wrote:Should have taken that Houston deal. Franchise players either have "it" or they don't. Again, I don't see that dawg mentality in Cade. I never saw it in Grant Hill either. We should really consider trading him. During the laker game, I watched a 39 year old player LeBron James looked faster than cade. It's sickening

What Houston deal?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#66 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 pm

It is certainly debatable if Cade has lived up to the potential of a #1 pick. He was a consensus #1 so I wouldn’t say it was a bad pick. Maybe some bad luck w his injuries that has slowed his progress, but he is a legit NBA player.

So what it comes down to is what his extension looks like. If we have to Max him out, I’d try to trade him. If he signs for something more reasonable than he’s a keeper.

Not sure what his trade value is. I’m sure it’s high, but not sure what would actually be offered. But a legit starting 3&D SF with a couple of first rounders would be the type of trade to consider.
Rip32
Rookie

Post#67 » by Rip32 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:18 pm

theBigLip wrote:

What Houston deal?
Before we selected cade. Houston offered a crazy trade. But the idiot weaver was steadfast on slow cade

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#68 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:20 pm

Rip32 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

What Houston deal?
Before we selected cade. Houston offered a crazy trade. But the idiot weaver was steadfast on slow cade

What were the specifics?
uncleoswald
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#69 » by uncleoswald » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:30 pm

Snakebites wrote:
SuperBad wrote: But we can’t give up on this, if the Wizards could trade Bradly Beal, we will be able to move Cade if that’s what has to be done.

You know we're in a bad place when you're already talking about trading a player on a big contract BEFORE we've even given him that contract. If that's not a yikes I don't know what is.

on some level, this seems like a systemic issue that the league and players association might want to consider the causes of and work to disincentivize in the future.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#70 » by DBC10 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:18 pm

theBigLip wrote:It is certainly debatable if Cade has lived up to the potential of a #1 pick. He was a consensus #1 so I wouldn’t say it was a bad pick. Maybe some bad luck w his injuries that has slowed his progress, but he is a legit NBA player.

So what it comes down to is what his extension looks like. If we have to Max him out, I’d try to trade him. If he signs for something more reasonable than he’s a keeper.

Not sure what his trade value is. I’m sure it’s high, but not sure what would actually be offered. But a legit starting 3&D SF with a couple of first rounders would be the type of trade to consider.

Devin Vassell? He's playing SG this season primarily, but has length and shooting potential as a true volume 3&D in this league, that you can plug and play anywhere
Mikal Bridges?
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,367

Post#71 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:23 am

Rip32 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

What Houston deal?

I don't know if this is true, but around 2021 draft time there were strong rumours that Presti offered SGA + #6 pick for #1 pick (this was before SGA truly broke out obviously). Weaver was said to have asked for OKC's future 2022 first rounder too and the deal didn't happen.

Imagine having SGA and Franz Wagner right now though.
Rip32
Rookie

Post#72 » by Rip32 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:33 am

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#73 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:52 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
Rip32 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
What Houston deal?

I don't know if this is true, but around 2021 draft time there were strong rumours that Presti offered SGA + #6 pick for #1 pick (this was before SGA truly broke out obviously). Weaver was said to have asked for OKC's future 2022 first rounder too and the deal didn't happen.

Their was tons of rumors from reputable media at that time about this.

You can actually find a thread with a poll at the time in Gen discussion talking about that exact trade before the fact and if the Pistons should do it. The poll in general actually favored taking SGA+pick by a good margin. I will admit I wanted Cade at that time but I did feel it was close call.Weaver is making millions to make those choices he should be able to beat realGM gen on a franchise changing call once in awhile.

Thats the thing with the Troy era theirs been plenty of chances that if he just made the right call were in way better shape. Simply making that trade, drafting Hali, or even taking Maxey everything looks alot better around here.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,274

Post#74 » by vege » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:34 am

Reports are that Cade have been playing injured. Which is bad, he can't stay health.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,274

Post#75 » by vege » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:36 am

DBC10 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:It is certainly debatable if Cade has lived up to the potential of a #1 pick. He was a consensus #1 so I wouldn’t say it was a bad pick. Maybe some bad luck w his injuries that has slowed his progress, but he is a legit NBA player.

Devin Vassell? He's playing SG this season primarily, but has length and shooting potential as a true volume 3&D in this league, that you can plug and play anywhere
Mikal Bridges?

You know for a player to be called 3&D he actually have to be a good defender and a good 3 point shooter right?

Vassell is a very bad defender and an average 3 point shooter (at best) so how the **** you call him a 3&D?
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 737

Post#76 » by A_dub06 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:53 am

To me the whole Cade thing was questionable, I never saw what made him the “consensus” pick outside of questions surrounding other players and if that’s the bar your setting for what’s supposed to be a franchise player, you’re setting yourself up issues.

When it came out that Cade was actually 6-5 or 6-6 and not 6-8 as listed previously, I was made fun of for making out like it was a huge deal. I saw his athletic limitations and for someone that’s supposed to be a good shooter but hasn’t shown it, not having an athletic advantage to get to better spots/attack the rim or use sheer size to bully your opponent is going to put said player into undesirable position to try and score from.

That said, while I think Cade has been all bark no bite, and for the record I wanted to Mobley before the draft, the lack of shooting on the roster has compounded his limitations which can essentially be applied to the rest of our young core too. None of our guys have been set up to succeed, and we have a coach and gm that can’t work out how to do it either.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#77 » by breezypeezy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:24 am

I still think some iteration of Cade can contribute towards winning basketball, it is Stewart who my doubts are over.

Weve swept out a lot of trash thats been instrumental to the historic losing, a few more bodies out the door and im not losing sleep either way.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#78 » by theBigLip » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:24 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
Rip32 wrote:Before we selected cade. Houston offered a crazy trade. But the idiot weaver was steadfast on slow cade

You can actually find a thread with a poll at the time in Gen discussion talking about that exact trade before the fact and if the Pistons should do it. The poll in general actually favored taking SGA+pick by a good margin. I will admit I wanted Cade at that time but I did feel it was close call.Weaver is making millions to make those choices he should be able to beat realGM gen on a franchise changing call once in awhile.

Thats the thing with the Troy era theirs been plenty of chances that if he just made the right call were in way better shape. Simply making that trade, drafting Hali, or even taking Maxey everything looks alot better around here.

But you are basing your comments on rumors. You and I don’t know what was offered for Cade. Of course there was “interest”.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#79 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:57 am

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

But you are basing your comments on rumors. You and I don’t know what was offered for Cade. Of course there was “interest”.

Yes rumors from high level media with connections. Cade was a hyped prospect ofc he had some strong offers on the table. We seen what a lesser prospect in Fultz was worth in 2017 so its easy to understand what type of value we missed on with that as a base + all the rumors.

If many are questioning if Cade is even is worth a max today then clearly trading a hyped one pick was better then holding him. As of now Cades peak value was before he was drafted so that would of been the time to sell. Some great GMs can make these kind of trades like Ainge hence why hes great and Weaver is the guy that gets record losing streaks year 4 of his rebuild.

[/b]Detroit is continuing to conduct due diligence on a group that also includes Jalen Green and especially Evan Mobley, while also exploring several trade opportunities that have emerged.

"… Teams including Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans and Oklahoma City are among those making overtures to evaluate what it would take to move up to the No. 1 slot, sources say, but those talks are at an early stage, and any trade is unlikely to be consummated until much closer to the draft, if at all."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31770784/big-nba-draft-2021-questions-no-1-locked-looking-trade

While it's already been reported that the Houston Rockets have made offers to the Detroit Pistons, I'm told the Oklahoma City Thunder have also tried (and failed) to strike a deal for the No. 1 pick by offering Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and the No. 6 pick.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946272-2021-nba-draft-buzz-a-swing-for-the-no-1-pick-lottery-movers-and-shakers
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,945

Post#80 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:09 pm

Cade's shriveled, pathetic self should be cast out of the nirvana that is the Pistons. While Cade can never replace Darko as the Human Victory Cigar, he certainly replaces Darko as worst pick ever. Cade's corpse should be fed to the front office as a sobering reminder that choices have consequences. Future generations will speak of Cade with abject horror at just how bad he was for the precious Pistons. Detroiters will change their last names from Cunningham to avoid the negative connotations, so they can have Happy Days again. Hoffa will be looking forward to having some company. If only he were a 40% 3P shooter and taller than 5'8" (height without kneecaps), none of this would have passed. Sad, so sad.

Return to Detroit Pistons