ImageImageImage

Time to face reality about Cade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,085

Re: Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#221 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:51 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Cunningham’s scoring is up 5.3 points per game, his assists are up 1.9, his field goal percentage went from 41.6 percent to 45.9 percent, and his 3-point percentage has jumped from 31.4 percent to 35.5 percent on, essentially, the same number of attempts per game. Cunningham is carrying a true shooting percentage of 54.6 percent this season (he had a 50.4 true shooting percentage as a rookie and 49.2 true shooting percentage in 12 games last season). Lastly, Cunningham has upped these numbers while being one of just 10 players in the NBA to have a 30 percent usage or better. Cunningham is carrying the load of superstars, but without the help. His numbers have improved in the process. If there’s anything that should give Pistons ownership, decision-makers and fans hope, Cunningham’s growth is it. Getting “the guy” is the hardest part of rebuilding. Detroit, at the very least, appears to have gotten that part right.

Come on, man. Credit the source.

https://theathletic.com/5389525/2024/04/04/cade-cunningham-most-improved-award-nba/
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,802

Post#222 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:04 am

Keep Cade. He’s won me over- or at least I’ve become convinced there’s a slightly better path with him at the max than without him.

At this point I’d be open to moving everyone else.

The only guy who’s a crystal clear fit with Cade at this point is Fontecchio- a nice player but hardly an untouchable talent.

I think Duren is a terrific offensive fit with Cade but if he doesn’t improve defensively we’ve got troubles. I’d be open to drafting Sarr and trading Duren.

Same with Ausar, just flip flop the words “offense” and “defense”.

Ivey? Honestly I’ve cooled on him so far at this point. I wish we’d moved him at the deadline. Even if he figured it out I don’t think he’s a fit with Cade at all.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#223 » by theBigLip » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:33 am

Definitely keep Cade.

As much as I’ve been defending our young core’s room for growth, they are all trade candidates. Swap them and upgrade their positions and absorb the cap difference.

Ivey Duren 2024 FRP for Bridges Claxton?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,802

Post#224 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:40 am

theBigLip wrote:Definitely keep Cade.

As much as I’ve been defending our young core’s room for growth, they are all trade candidates. Swap them and upgrade their positions and absorb the cap difference.

They turned down firsts and Jalen Green for Bridges, so your valuation feels unrealistic here.

I can’t see us just getting Bridges for that.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#225 » by Neptune » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:22 am

Trade our pick for a 27 year old Bridges?

Our team has played 1 year together and now we completely break it apart? Why not draft Sarr or trade the pick for a younger 4 and use our cap space on huge 1 year deals to get our bench together?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#226 » by theBigLip » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:10 am

Neptune wrote:

Our team has played 1 year together and now we completely break it apart? Why not draft Sarr or trade the pick for a younger 4 and use our cap space on huge 1 year deals to get our bench together?

I want us to hit a home run in the off season and get an All Star on our team. Hopefully two. Maybe unrealistic, but I don't want us to just do a little trim around the edges. Mikal Bridges? PG13? Caruso? The Other Bridges :-) ? Lauri? What's it take to get two of these guys?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#227 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:36 am

theBigLip wrote:
Neptune wrote:

I want us to hit a home run in the off season and get an All Star on our team. Hopefully two. Maybe unrealistic, but I don't want us to just do a little trim around the edges. Mikal Bridges? PG13? Caruso? The Other Bridges :-) ? Lauri? What's it take to get two of these guys?

Yup gotta get the right players around Cade. Need productive players that can shoot and defend ideally both. We got a franchise player finally time to set him up for success.

Im open to any of the guys you mentioned. Ofc not sure that some are available but I know were just theorycrafting at this point. Enough of these gleague rosters lets start leveling this team up.
Neptune
Starter

Post#228 » by Neptune » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:03 am

theBigLip wrote:
Neptune wrote:

We're likely going to end up with the worst record in the league. What player would agree to come here in a trade or what team would want to do business with our team without overvaluing there players thinking we're desperate? We gotta play FA right and get these guys better on our team. Our 1st round pick might get something in a trade, but then again why, if we cant get a young decent piece in return? What 27 yr would really come here and make a difference enough to push us in the play-in? We're already the 2nd youngest team in the league, might as well continue with this growth and hopefully see improvement before the 2025 trade deadline.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#229 » by theBigLip » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:06 pm

Neptune wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Neptune wrote:Trade our pick for a 27 year old Bridges?

We're likely going to end up with the worst record in the league. What player would agree to come here in a trade or what team would want to do business with our team without overvaluing there players thinking we're desperate? We gotta play FA right and get these guys better on our team. Our 1st round pick might get something in a trade, but then again why, if we cant get a young decent piece in return? What 27 yr would really come here and make a difference enough to push us in the play-in? We're already the 2nd youngest team in the league, might as well continue with this growth and hopefully see improvement before the 2025 trade deadline.

If you can offer a player a bigger role and more money…

Jeremi Grant did it. Someone else could do it.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#230 » by Spider156 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:14 pm

You mean 8 picks plus Ivey Duren. That’s more like it.

We all do this don’t worry. Think smaller.

Think Ivey for Malik Monk. Ivey for Lavine is more realistic after all star break both because lavine is injured and Ivey sucks.

Duren? You get Tari Eason for Duren.

Think low low.
Defense wins championships
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#231 » by Spider156 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:18 pm

Neptune wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Neptune wrote:Trade our pick for a 27 year old Bridges?

I do believe we will be the worst record next year again or bottom 3. Players don’t really dictate where they go otherwise Mitchell wouldn’t have went to the Cavs. A team that’ll do business with us are the Wolves Jazz and Knicks just like the trade deadline. As far as the pick, we can trade the first pick for a guy like Markannen maybe, maybe add Stewart and Sasser to the trade. Idk why jazz wouldn’t do it.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,085

Post#232 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:44 pm

Better fitting pieces from same draft class? Be gentle I didn't look into these.

Thompson for Black/Whitmore/Hendricks
Duren for Eason/Williams/Mathurin
Ivey for Jovic/Griffin
Neptune
Starter

Post#233 » by Neptune » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:25 pm

Spider156 wrote:
Neptune wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I do believe we will be the worst record next year again or bottom 3. Players don’t really dictate where they go otherwise Mitchell wouldn’t have went to the Cavs. A team that’ll do business with us are the Wolves Jazz and Knicks just like the trade deadline. As far as the pick, we can trade the first pick for a guy like Markannen maybe, maybe add Stewart and Sasser to the trade. Idk why jazz wouldn’t do it.

Our 1st+Sasser+Stewart for Lauri works!
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#234 » by Spider156 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:11 pm

Neptune wrote:
Spider156 wrote:
Neptune wrote:We're likely going to end up with the worst record in the league. What player would agree to come here in a trade or what team would want to do business with our team without overvaluing there players thinking we're desperate? We gotta play FA right and get these guys better on our team. Our 1st round pick might get something in a trade, but then again why, if we cant get a young decent piece in return? What 27 yr would really come here and make a difference enough to push us in the play-in? We're already the 2nd youngest team in the league, might as well continue with this growth and hopefully see improvement before the 2025 trade deadline.

Our 1st+Sasser+Stewart for Lauri works!

Yeah that’s a fair trade I feel. Stewart is a solid two way young player, sasser is a young prospect going into second year. Who cares for the first pick this year. I’d pay Lauri whatever he wants. I can definitely see a deal like this happening because Ainge has given Weaver Bojan for Olynyk and Fontecchio for a pick. I’m not sure why Ainge isn’t fleecing Weaver but I do think it’s realistic given their history working on deals together.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#235 » by Crymson » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:23 pm

Neptune wrote:Our 1st+Sasser+Stewart for Lauri works!

If you can catch Danny Ainge high on bath salts, he might say yes. Otherwise, no. That's a bad return for Markkanen, and Ainge does not compromise. His asking haul this season was very high, and rightly so; and when Ainge has an asking price in mind, he does not lower it.
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#236 » by Spider156 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:43 pm

Crymson wrote:

If you can catch Danny Ainge high on bath salts, he might say yes. Otherwise, no. That's a bad return for Markkanen, and Ainge does not compromise. His asking haul this season was very high, and rightly so; and when Ainge has an asking price in mind, he does not lower it.

So he can pay Markannen and stay stuck on a treadmill Play In team at best.

By the way, Ainge got the worst first round picks for Gobert. They’re literally #29, that’s worse than a second round pick because it’s a guaranteed contract. That’s not a haul.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#237 » by Vampirate » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:37 pm

Spider156 wrote:
Crymson wrote:

By the way, Ainge got the worst first round picks for Gobert. They’re literally #29, that’s worse than a second round pick because it’s a guaranteed contract. That’s not a haul.

A trade for Lauri is going to cost you 4 first round picks (yours) to start with.

It's also extremely likely Ainge is going to ask for Cade himself as well.

If you think that's unreasonable, one he has basically the optimal #2 option in the NBA and 2 it's Ainge. He will always look to fleece the teams he trades with.

It'd be no different if he was talking to the Raptors as he'd be straight up asking for Barnes + 4 firsts.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#238 » by Crymson » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:23 pm

Spider156 wrote:So he can pay Markannen and stay stuck on a treadmill Play In team at best.

Markkanen is an all-star-caliber scorer who'll be less than halfway to 27 at the start of next season. He's a valuable commodity. That package won't get it done.

Take your Pistons fandom out of the picture, put yourself in Ainge's shoes, and consider if you'd make that trade.

That was a fantastic trade for the Jazz, who were headed into a full rebuild and wanted done with Gobert. As a 30-year-old traditional big headed into the second year of a massive contract, he did not have much trade value. That Ainge managed to cadge Kessler and four firsts -- plus players he managed to parlay into yet another first from the Lakers -- was a minor miracle.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,331

Post#239 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:07 pm

Vampirate wrote:
Spider156 wrote:
Crymson wrote:

A trade for Lauri is going to cost you 4 first round picks (yours) to start with.

It's also extremely likely Ainge is going to ask for Cade himself as well.

If you think that's unreasonable, one he has basically the optimal #2 option in the NBA and 2 it's Ainge. He will always look to fleece the teams he trades with.

It'd be no different if he was talking to the Raptors as he'd be straight up asking for Barnes + 4 firsts.

While I agree that Ainge will ask for everything and then some, it has to be factored in that Markannen will be expiring and I presume there's that rule where if a team wants to extend a player they can only offer a certain percentage above that player's current salary (which will be 18M for Markannen). So he will go to free agency and would be considered a flight risk. That has to be factored into his value.

I could see a universe where we offer Stewart, Ivey, our 2024 first round pick (will be at least top 5) and our 2029 1st (earliest we can trade given our current first round protections). That still might not get it done.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#240 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:32 am

Mr Peanut wrote:While I agree that Ainge will ask for everything and then some, it has to be factored in that Markannen will be expiring and I presume there's that rule where if a team wants to extend a player they can only offer a certain percentage above that player's current salary (which will be 18M for Markannen). So he will go to free agency and would be considered a flight risk. That has to be factored into his value.

I could see a universe where we offer Stewart, Ivey, our 2024 first round pick (will be at least top 5) and our 2029 1st (earliest we can trade given our current first round protections). That still might not get it done.

There's a rule that limits the salary in year one of an extension to 140% of the salary in the final season of the existing contract, but Utah will have the cap space this offseason to get around that by means of a renegotiate-and-extend. They'll be able to offer him an increase in his salary for next season and a max extension on top of that. Any team which trades for him could do the same, provided that they have the necessary cap space.

If he's not willing to make that arrangement with the Jazz, then he's a flight risk. Otherwise, he is not. And though I could be wrong, I don't see any reason to believe that he'd be willing to take such a route with the Pistons right now but not with the Jazz.

Return to Detroit Pistons