ImageImageImage

Time to face reality about Cade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Re: Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#101 » by Billl » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:19 pm

This thread is pretty funny. Some people are acting like cade is some sort of scrub. Guy is putting up 22/7/4. He had a rough start to the season with the turnovers, but it's been largely under control the last 2 months. He's got stuff to work on, but he's 22 and rapidly improving. His fg% is up, his 3% is up, his ft% and volume are up. His assists are up. His turnovers are down. His scoring is up on better splits. His fouls are down. The guy is a making progress basically across the board. If he keeps on that same path of being 1-2% more efficient per year, a 26 yr old cade could be really good.

But lets face it. It 2024, you can't have 1 good offensive player and then the next guy be a 15 ppg scorer and be competitive. And when you add in being 2nd 2 last in made 3's and pretty bad defensively, that's just a recipe for disaster.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,802

Post#102 » by DBC10 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:35 pm

vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
vege wrote:
You know for a player to be called 3&D he actually have to be a good defender and a good 3 point shooter right?

Vassell is a very bad defender and an average 3 point shooter (at best) so how the **** you call him a 3&D?

You do know, in this day and age a 3&D's standards has drastically changed since years ago right? 3&D is basically any guy that can shoot volume on 3's while being able to have size and length to defend as a potential or showing sparks there

At this point in time he's at least closer to a prototypical 3&D than not compared to the rest of the peers in this league. Besides, it was just a mild brainstorming, the potential added in as he has more or less improved each year and did shoot 38% from 3 on volume. He's likely being told to do too much on the Spurs team with no true primary ball handler on their lineup

So Burks Bojan Sasser Muscala etc were all 3&D according to your standards. We never had a problem them, we surrounded Cade and Duren with 3&D players :crazy:

Vassell is bad, he can't defend anyone.

None of those guys have shown potential, length, size to be good defenders and most are washed defensively in your list and or never had potential defensive sparks in the past. So try again.
Read again with what I wrote on the age bracket where Vassell is and of early potential and where I claimed any of those guys are some sort of good defenders. Your words, not mine

Considering no one here is defining what constitutes as a good defender, this conversation is moot anyways
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,275

Post#103 » by vege » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:54 pm

DBC10 wrote:
vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
You do know, in this day and age a 3&D's standards has drastically changed since years ago right? 3&D is basically any guy that can shoot volume on 3's while being able to have size and length to defend as a potential or showing sparks there

At this point in time he's at least closer to a prototypical 3&D than not compared to the rest of the peers in this league. Besides, it was just a mild brainstorming, the potential added in as he has more or less improved each year and did shoot 38% from 3 on volume. He's likely being told to do too much on the Spurs team with no true primary ball handler on their lineup

So Burks Bojan Sasser Muscala etc were all 3&D according to your standards. We never had a problem them, we surrounded Cade and Duren with 3&D players :crazy:

None of those guys have shown potential, length, size to be good defenders and most are washed defensively in your list and or never had potential defensive sparks in the past. So try again.
Read again with what I wrote on the age bracket where Vassell is and of early potential and where I claimed any of those guys are some sort of good defenders. Your words, not mine

Considering no one here is defining what constitutes as a good defender, this conversation is moot anyways

The point is. Vassell is not a 3&D player. He is a passable 3 point shooter and a disaster on defense.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,265

Post#104 » by GreekAlex » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:20 pm

vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
vege wrote:

The point is. Vassell is not a 3&D player. He is a passable 3 point shooter and a disaster on defense.

How do you read or interpret defensive ratings?

Vassell’s number is similar to Mikal Bridges.

Is that not a worthwhile stat?

I noticed that it kind of favors big men.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,802

Post#105 » by DBC10 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:32 pm

vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
vege wrote:

Again...point is, he's the closest thing to a 3&D in this league in his draft class and age

He also shot 43% on C&S last year while having more of the offense on him this year deviating from that and is still 37%. Until a definitive standard for what is good, bad, disastrous defense is, your statement doesn't make much sense and I'm sure most Spurs fans actually don't agree with you there anyways
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#106 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:46 am

Reality is Cade is going to be the superstar we have been waiting for. You can see it happening now. Hes over 40% from 3pt past 20 games and is playing on another level.

What we need to do is making some aggressive moves and surround him with players that can 3+D. Grimes is a nice piece but we need more. I'm kicking the doors down to get a Mikal Bridges back up the truck if need be.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,880

Post#107 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:38 am

I really hope this thread continues to age badly.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,710

Post#108 » by Cowology » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:58 am

Snakebites wrote:I really hope this thread continues to age badly.
It's durability that is his biggest issue.

He starts slow. He's been bad at the start of each season and whenever he's come back from injury. Eventually he rounds into shape... and then he gets injured.

Not saying it will happen again, just identifying the pattern. The only way the questions about Cade go away, is if he can stay on the court.
dezzie_33
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#109 » by dezzie_33 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:27 am

Snakebites wrote:I really hope this thread continues to age badly.

I think we all do!!
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#110 » by zeebneeb » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:24 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Reality is Cade is going to be the superstar we have been waiting for. You can see it happening now. Hes over 40% from 3pt past 20 games and is playing on another level.

What we need to do is making some aggressive moves and surround him with players that can 3+D. Grimes is a nice piece but we need more. I'm kicking the doors down to get a Mikal Bridges back up the truck if need be.
I'll say it until I'm blue in the face;

Cade has the bag to average 30 a night, amd pretty easily. He HAS TO BE SELFISH.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:05 am

Last 33 games:

23.0 points
4.3 rebounds
7.5 assists
3.1 turnovers
1.5 steals+blocks
57.6% TS%

40.2% from 3pt
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,710

Post#112 » by Cowology » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:20 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Last 33 games:

23.0 points
4.3 rebounds
7.5 assists
3.1 turnovers
1.5 steals+blocks
57.6% TS%

40.2% from 3pt
There are 2 ways to look at this. On the one hand, he's only played in 122 games. Those are great numbers for guy in his "second season" worth of games. Easy to see a jump from there.

On the other hand, he's missed 100 games.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 am

zeebneeb wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Reality is Cade is going to be the superstar we have been waiting for. You can see it happening now. Hes over 40% from 3pt past 20 games and is playing on another level.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face;

Cade has the bag to average 30 a night, amd pretty easily. He HAS TO BE SELFISH.

Yup I for sure believe it. I'm still not certain if his ideal role is a lead ball handler or more of a secondary ball handler in a Devin Booker style role. Obv if hes in a Booker role we would ideally want him next to a pure pg who can defend and hit 3s like CP3 or some sort of point forward. Being a secondary ball handler in a Booker style role is surely not meant to be a slight on Cade fwiw Booker is awesome.

To me the most exciting thing coming around is the 3pt shot finally getting there. He was an awesome shooter in college and awesome on the line. It was only a matter of time for that outside shot to come and now were seeing it in action.

He does have some areas to iron out. Like his conditioning seems bad at the end of games often, handles need to be tightened, less turnovers, and the I think the biggest level up would be adding some more craft to his game think like Harden(i know everyone hates him) that craftiness gets you on the line. Cades not going to get on the line with explosion and athleticism he doesnt have that.

I honestly think Cade has a very good chance at being #2 on a CONTENDER guy with potential to be a #1. Again when I say #2 thats not a slight on Cade either thats a Devin Booker and thats very very exciting!
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am

Cowology wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Last 33 games:

23.0 points
4.3 rebounds
7.5 assists
3.1 turnovers
1.5 steals+blocks
57.6% TS%

40.2% from 3pt
There are 2 ways to look at this. On the one hand, he's only played in 122 games. Those are great numbers for guy in his "second season" worth of games. Easy to see a jump from there.

On the other hand, he's missed 100 games.

Yeah I agree were still not out of the woods on his health. Jrue Holiday had the same injury and same surgery and he reinjured it the next year and took time getting back. Holiday is a guy that has had an awesome career but he has also missed alot of time. The brightside is Holiday has been very effective when on the court. Cade also has seemed to have a better recovery so then Holiday so thats good.

The other concern is pre ASB he was looking pretty tired and shot out there. Now were seeing him off a layoff and hes cooking again. We seen him slow down at the end of game tonight so maybe thats part of the reason not conditioning time but its been something we have seen more then once.

Still though I think even the biggest bears amongst us on Cade should be excited to see the numbers there. The eye test is lining up with improvements so I think its OK to be bullish on our franchise player.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,904

Post#115 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:27 am

What are his shooting splits after tonight?
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#116 » by zeebneeb » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:00 pm

MotownMadness wrote:What are his shooting splits after tonight?
That is a great question, and I am here to supply you with this, and other answers.

CADE CUNNINGHAM SEASON STATS.(48 games)

22.5 PPG
7.4 APG
4.2 RPG

.853 FT%
.458 FG%
.361 3P%(5.3 attempts per game)
3.6 TO
+/- -6.4

LAST 23 GAMES

23.8 PPG
7.7 APG
4.4 RPG

.824 FT%
.506 FG%
.419 3P%(4.6 attempts per game)
3.0 TO
+/- -3.9

LAST 4 GAMES

28.5 PPG
6.3 APG
5.5 RPG

.800 FT%
.589 FG%
.571 3P% (7 attempts per game)
3.5 TO
+/- +8.8

This is essentially Cades second season, so context is super important.

SGA SECOND SEASON (152 games total played)

19 PPG
3.3 APG
5.9 RPG

.807 FT%
.471 FG%
.347 3P%(3.6 attempts per game)
1.9 TO
+/- +2.2

C. CUNNINGHAM SECOND SEASON(124 games)

22.5 PPG
7.4 APG
4.2 RPG

.853 FT%
.458 FG%
3.6 TO
+/- -6.4

SGA didn't really take off until he was 24 years old. Cade is 22 years old.

The last 4 games, with a healthy Cade has really shown what he can do, and for half the season he is now shooting over 40% from three.

Cade has really, and I mean really turned a corner we should all be super pumped about, because if he continues this trajectory, he is not only worth a rookie max extention, but these are all-nba numbers.

He is ahead of schedule.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,082

Post#117 » by joedumars1 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:11 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:What are his shooting splits after tonight?
That is a great question, and I am here to supply you with this, and other answers.

CADE CUNNINGHAM SEASON STATS.(48 games)

22.5 PPG
7.4 APG
4.2 RPG

.853 FT%
.458 FG%
3.6 TO
+/- -6.4

LAST 23 GAMES

23.8 PPG
7.7 APG
4.4 RPG

.824 FT%
.506 FG%
.419 3P%(4.6 attempts per game)
3.0 TO
+/- -3.9

LAST 4 GAMES

28.5 PPG
6.3 APG
5.5 RPG

.800 FT%
.589 FG%
.571 3P% (7 attempts per game)
3.5 TO
+/- +8.8

This is essentially Cades second season, so context is super important.

SGA SECOND SEASON (152 games total played)

19 PPG
3.3 APG
5.9 RPG

.807 FT%
.471 FG%
.347 3P%(3.6 attempts per game)
1.9 TO
+/- +2.2

C. CUNNINGHAM SECOND SEASON(124 games)

22.5 PPG
7.4 APG
4.2 RPG

.853 FT%
.458 FG%
3.6 TO
+/- -6.4

SGA didn't really take off until he was 24 years old. Cade is 22 years old.

The last 4 games, with a healthy Cade has really shown what he can do, and for half the season he is now shooting over 40% from three.

Cade has really, and I mean really turned a corner we should all be super pumped about, because if he continues this trajectory, he is not only worth a rookie max extention, but these are all-nba numbers.

He is ahead of schedule.

Yeah Cade is very good, let’s hope all the inuries are behind him. If they are we have **** to build
On
ValvPiti
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#118 » by ValvPiti » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:05 pm

Lets trade our only All NBA talent, that seems about right. Then we can pick up Hayes, I'd look forward to that
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,083

Post#119 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:30 pm

The only players this year averaging 22+ PPG 7+ APG and 4+ RPG this season (min 25 games played)

LeBron 25.0 , 7.2 , 7.9
Jokic 26.1 , 9.3 , 12.3
Luka 34.5, 9.6, 8.8
Cade 22.5 , 7.4 , 4.2

If you took away the 4+ rebounds and just looked at 22+ and 7+ it only adds in Trae Young to the group.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#120 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:31 am

bstein14 wrote:The only players this year averaging 22+ PPG 7+ APG and 4+ RPG this season (min 25 games played)

LeBron 25.0 , 7.2 , 7.9
Jokic 26.1 , 9.3 , 12.3
Luka 34.5, 9.6, 8.8
Cade 22.5 , 7.4 , 4.2

If you took away the 4+ rebounds and just looked at 22+ and 7+ it only adds in Trae Young to the group.
Right now its all about consistency with Cade, but at only 22 years old, and only 120 some odd games, im not all that worried.

I do have some fears of him regressing again, as Andre did after showing flashes of greatness, but all this losing is either going to forge him, or break him.

We are all gonna find out together

Return to Detroit Pistons