ImageImageImage

Time to face reality about Cade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#1 » by Rip32 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:45 pm

No. 1 pick and hopeful franchise cornerstone, Cunningham, hasn’t looked the same since he returned from knee issues two weeks ago. Even before that, though, he still hadn’t shown whether he was, in the immortal words of ex-Piston and ex-Mayor Dave Bing, “that guy".

I just don't see that dawg in Cade or the will to win. The sooner Weaver corrects his wrong, the better the Pistons will be imo.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Re: Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:58 pm

I mean what do you do with him? He's disappointing as a #1 pick but i still think he's going to be a really good player.
fleet40
Junior
And1: 40

Post#3 » by fleet40 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:17 pm

He may become a solid smart and capable player. But as of now, he is a bust and has done little thus far to help our Pistons actually win. Too slow and sloppy to be a PG which is where we slot him. And too slow and weak to guard athletic scoring forwards. He gives 5 TO or more seemingly every other game. Looks sleepy/disinterested many nights on the floor and we win seemingly more when he is wearing his dap uniform on the bench in his DNP roll.

Won't be long before he becomes the whipping boy now that Killian is gone.

He and Stewart have become the face of L period. And I've been ready to move on from both of them. And our GM and coaching staff are right there with them. The teal squad would beat this team hadidly. Very, very disappointing.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#4 » by ducler » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:23 pm

He hasn't shown to be all over the top nor helping the team win. He was announced to be a game changer and his first season made everyone hopefull, but we didn't see progress since then.

First the injuries were an excuse for him to be slown down a bit, but we're now coming near his extension time but still waiting to see actual improvement.

Then, I remember to be very hopeful for him, not only due to his playmaking and scoring abilities but also due to his defense. Actually his D has been a real disappointment and that's more and more the case on the offensive end too due to his TOs and the way our offense is slown down due to him running the point like he's Reggie Jackson little brother. OK we're not the best shooting team but that's not the only problem.

Ivey was picked 2 years ago with the hope he'll be the best compliment possible to Cade and create a great backcourt. We'll see what happens but the skepticism can only grow if they don't show quick improvement. I watched Lakers and Suns games and really disliked the way we played offensively (defense was not better), in particular how our backcourt played.

If I had to choose between 1. keep both Cade/Ivey 2. trade Cade 3. trade Ivey 4. trade both, I think my preference would go with options 2 or 4. I'm not sure I'd be the only one, and that's scary because that means we are not in a good position with the guy we wanted to build the team around.

If they give him a max extension this summer, that's a scandal and a Drummond 2.0. He honestly hasn't shown enough for that.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:29 pm

Yeah this is a bad situation after tanking for years
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#6 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:08 pm

Cades had some spurts of high level ball. Hopefully he can put it all together ROS. I know I have my doubts currently about not only Cade but how the entire core 4 fits together but we've at least seen moments of greatness.

Maybe everyone puts it together ROS and were all happy going into next year time will tell. Worst case is we got some guys that we can trade on the market and recoup some value and try to make our lineup fit going forward.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#7 » by JNewton » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:14 pm

I'll admit I haven't seen the "it factor" he had in the latter half of his rookie season, but he's still only 14 months out from major surgery. I'll be interested to see how he looks next year. I'm not opposed to moving him if a ridiculous trade offer comes along, as I'm of the opinion that the team needs to re-rebuild, but neither of those seems likely.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:26 pm

He had the really solid stretch post all-star break to end his rookie year.... and then he played really well towards the end of our long losing streak.... beyond those two stretches he's certainly been really underwhelming for the #1 pick franchise player expectation.

I still think worst case he's a good starter and a fringe all-star but that doesn't warrant a huge max deal.... he still might be 2-3 years away from really playing consistent winning ball on a nightly basis.

I also, like many, have to start to question the role we've put him in as a super high usage ball dominant player that goes to work and everyone else watches and sits in the corner... that overall offense isn't working well enough. Put him in some pick and rolls with Stew but we don't need to pound him the ball 40+ times a game we can let other players do more creating and let Cade stand at the 3 point line a bit catch and shoot ready to take some of the offensive load off his shoulders.

I still think he's going to figure it out and be an all-star in the league but he might not get there til 26, 27, 28, etc when he's in those prime years. He's still just 22 years old right now.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#9 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:56 pm

Yeah, I think he has some game, but I'm not convinced he's the high usage franchise player we've slotted him as (and he seems to think he is). Not sure if we can make the paradigm shift as a franchise (or that he can as a player) without it getting messy.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#10 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:41 pm

One thing with Cade that hasnt been unlocked yet is his outside shooting. He was a 40% 3pt shooter in college hes only at 33.5% this season. This is a guy whos hitting nearly 86% from the line he can shoot the ball. His role in the offense and our lack of spacing is making it tough for him to get that elite outside shooting going but its going to come eventually.

Hes for sure a max contract or trade for a really good player type guy. He may of been a bit overhyped coming out but not a bust by any means he would have tons of value on the open market. The injuries are a bit concerning as well. I wouldnt hate using him as a headliner to get a star but its for sure a trade we could regret down the line.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#11 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:55 pm

It does seem like a lot of this team’s viability is going to come down to how consistent Cade and Ivey can get as outside shooters.
uncleoswald
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#12 » by uncleoswald » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:19 pm

add some muscle to his frame and make him a small forward. draft the best point guard available. cade's destiny seems like a role player, and putting him in the role of franchise player dooms the franchise to mediocrity.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#13 » by GreekAlex » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 pm

uncleoswald wrote:add some muscle to his frame and make him a small forward. draft the best point guard available. cade's destiny seems like a role player, and putting him in the role of franchise player dooms the franchise to mediocrity.

I wouldn’t say role player but he’d be a good second option if his shot can fall consistently.

My gripe is that the offense looks worse with him slowing everything down and the team is rarely in a flow.

When he’s out, the ball moves and players don’t defer as much.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#14 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:46 pm

I don't think Cade is a Franchise player, but most likely multiple All-Star talent. Just need to find his Batman or flesh out the roster with Pistons early 2000's era talent.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#15 » by Cowology » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:57 pm

I don't think Cade is a "superstar", but he *may* be capable of becoming a championship teams best player. I'm not ready to write him off, but we do need to change the way we utilize him.

I have consistently said since we drafted him that Cade is NOT a lead guard. Playing the role is good for his development, but ultimately he needs to move off-ball.

Last year it became obvious that we should have Ivey pushing tempo over Cade methodically probing.

Anywho, not mad at Weaver over the pick. Not the best year to "win" the lottery and I still think it was the right choice. There was/is no other obviouse franchise player at the top and Cade may still have the best career. Who knows?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#16 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:00 pm

Should move Cade to SF and obtain a true Point Guard.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#17 » by NYPiston » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:19 pm

Cade has his own limitations but he's being miscast by a coaching staff that seemingly has no idea how to deploy most of their players or figure out proper rotations.

Cade is not Luka, his potential is not best maximized as a PG that runs an entire offense through him. He's not a good enough playmaker and ballhandler to compensate for the lack of athleticism. Put him off ball as a secondary ballhandler and he and the team will be better off for it. Frustrating to see the lack of recognition from the coaching staff.
The second half needs to be all about development and putting the players in position to succeed so they can start next season with some idea of what we have in them instead of scrambling again next season trying to find roles for these guys.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#18 » by Cowology » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:23 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Should move Cade to SF and obtain a true Point Guard.
I dunno, I'm kinda going back & forth on that. We might be OK with Ivey at lead guard & Ausar at the 3. Non of them are true PG, but I'm not even sure that's a real thing anymore, and all 3 can handle the ball. Duren even has some handles for a big. Stew is the only guy you really dont want touching the ball unless he's shooting an open shot or rebounding.

I can imagine a world where, with player development & good coaching, we don't need another PG. We just need to continue internal development.

That is of course purely hypothitical and not a promise. *shrug*
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#19 » by vic » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:39 pm

Cade needs a diet of beef brisket, steak, and beef bone broth
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#20 » by keepitrealhomes » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Should move Cade to SF and obtain a true Point Guard.

I hear killian’s lookin for a job

Return to Detroit Pistons