Mike Muscala Appreciation Thread

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Mike Muscala Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:55 am

Read on Twitter

Looks like we get to enjoy the talents of the hooper known as Wiseman the rest of the season. :roll:
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Re: Mike Muscala Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by tmorgan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:09 am

Quality vet we don’t need right now.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#3 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:33 am

If I was a rotation level NBA player and Wiseman was getting minutes over me then I would ask out too.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#4 » by 440BB » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:04 am

I was thinking Muscala would be signed for another season. I wonder how many quality vets won't want to play for Monty going forward.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
The Number 9
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#5 » by The Number 9 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:00 am

Mr Peanut wrote:If I was a rotation level NBA player and Wiseman was getting minutes over me then I would ask out too.

I think Monty stopped playing him because he asked for a buy-out, to make sure he won't be injured.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#6 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:10 am

The Number 9 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:If I was a rotation level NBA player and Wiseman was getting minutes over me then I would ask out too.

I think Monty stopped playing him because he asked for a buy-out, to make sure he won't be injured.

I mean that's possible, but initially after the trade he was getting decent bench minutes for us as well as a few starts (much more playing time than what he was getting in Washington), and given he's an upcoming FA I would've thought he would've been OK with that to showcase himself for a new contract. Now he's just going to be a 3rd stringer on a contender and likely only gets limited situational minutes.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,951

Post#7 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:24 am

Not wise, man. We should've found a way to keep him.
The Number 9
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#8 » by The Number 9 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:31 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
The Number 9 wrote:

I mean that's possible, but initially after the trade he was getting decent bench minutes for us as well as a few starts (much more playing time than what he was getting in Washington), and given he's an upcoming FA I would've thought he would've been OK with that to showcase himself for a new contract. Now he's just going to be a 3rd stringer on a contender and likely only gets limited situational minutes.

Maybe those few games spark interests for some teams and his agent thinks something is possible for a decent role in a contender. He is 32, it might be his last chance or close.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,537

Post#9 » by whitehops » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:11 pm

glad for him, hope he lands in a spot where he can get some minutes. not sure about the new apron rules but teams like the thunder, knicks, cavs, and heat could use a backup center. heck even denver or philly might need a good vet backup.

i'd obviously rather keep him and not have to watch wiseman play ever again but it's fair to him considering we're not playing meaningful games and he probably doesn't have too many more chances to left in his career.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#10 » by DetroitSho » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:55 pm

The Number 9 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
The Number 9 wrote:

Maybe those few games spark interests for some teams and his agent thinks something is possible for a decent role in a contender. He is 32, it might be his last chance or close.
For all those ready to assume the worst about Monty and this situation, I think this explanation is spot on.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#11 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:09 pm

At the end of the day, we did him a solid so he could go to a team where he has a chance to do something in the playoffs. Gores also will save a little bit of money as well so its a win-win-loose situation. Mike wins, Gores wins, the fans loose because we get Wiseman.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#12 » by vege » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:23 pm

I wish he was playing over Wiseman, but I understand him wanting to go to a better team in a contract year at the age of 32. That's probably why he wasn't playing the last few games, he probably asked out and his agent was probably finding him a new team.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#13 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm

I wonder... I don't ever wanna see Wiseman play unless it's absolutely necessary, but think Weaver is forcing this one after his Killian fiasco.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,218

Post#14 » by Laimbeer » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Are we really at the point in this league that the Mike Muscalas can ask their way off a team? I think he's been fine here, but if he wants to leave why are we paying a dime? Is there a required minimum? Better yet, how about his new team cough up a second?
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#15 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Bad deal !!!!!! washington should have giving us 2 seconds to get bagley.he was the best player in the deal.he's starting for washington.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#16 » by Billl » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:53 pm

Disappointing, but not shocking. After he got his bell rung before the all-star break, I wondered how long he was going to want to sacrifice his body in meaningless games. Too bad. He was a nice change of pace big that fit pretty nicely with Duren and stew.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Good for him. We don’t want players that don’t want to be here. It’s not a good look to agents and free agents to not cooperate and Detroit has a tough enough time as it is in that department.

This actually gives Stewart more run at backup C.

Get ready to lose your minds. As for Wiseman, that makes him 3rd big which is where he should be for now. I’m sure he will be extended, but not at his cap hold number. That might be one of the first moves in the offseason.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#18 » by Drwho17 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:49 pm

theBigLip wrote:Good for him. We don’t want players that don’t want to be here. It’s not a good look to agents and free agents to not cooperate and Detroit has a tough enough time as it is in that department.

This actually gives Stewart more run at backup C.

Get ready to lose your minds. As for Wiseman, that makes him 3rd big which is where he should be for now. I’m sure he will be extended, but not at his cap hold number. That might be one of the first moves in the offseason.

Well, I think it's going to take Monty Williams a while to figure the Stewart as a backup center bit, like last night, Stewart starting over Fontecchio, which means Wiseman is backup C. Silliness, I mean they could have brought Stewart off the bench by even saying they are bringing him back slowly from injury.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Not a big deal but it does suck.

I hate watching Wiseman.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#20 » by Invictus88 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:07 pm

tmorgan wrote:Quality vet we don’t need right now.

Except that he was better for us than both Stewart and Wiseman..

Return to Detroit Pistons