ImageImageImage

Mike Muscala Appreciation Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,214

Re: Mike Muscala Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by NYPiston » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:03 pm

You guys are reading way too much into this. Muscala probably wanted to play for a contender and the Pistons did him that favor. Nothing more to see here
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#22 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
tmorgan wrote:Quality vet we don’t need right now.

Except that he was better for us than both Stewart and Wiseman..

LOL ,Your wrong Stewart is much better than muscala by a long shot.Stewart can play much better defence
tradez401
Starter
And1: 621

Post#23 » by tradez401 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:52 pm

i know muscala and gallo are happy to get out this disaster of a team.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#24 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:24 pm

So we gave up Bagley and 2 seconds for nothing .
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,102

Post#25 » by tmorgan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:27 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:So we gave up Bagley and 2 seconds for nothing .

We gave up the seconds to get out of Bagley’s contract for next year.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#26 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:38 pm

As per Spotrac, Marvin Bagley III is set to make $12.5 million this season and the next after he re-signed with the Pistons in 2022 for three years and $37.5 million. After the 2024-25 season, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

This is not a bad contract we could have keeped him for that price.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,277

Post#27 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:05 am

kellmellus50 wrote:As per Spotrac, Marvin Bagley III is set to make $12.5 million this season and the next after he re-signed with the Pistons in 2022 for three years and $37.5 million. After the 2024-25 season, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

This is not a bad contract we could have keeped him for that price.

It all depends what is done with the cap space.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,397

Post#28 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:51 am

kellmellus50 wrote:So we gave up Bagley and 2 seconds for nothing .

The TPE created from the trade was used to absorb Danuel House Jr and a second rounder. So it balanced out that we only gave up one second to get off Bagley's contract.

But then we spent two second rounders to get him and handed out that contract in the first place. :lol:
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#29 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:01 am

kellmellus50 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
tmorgan wrote:Quality vet we don’t need right now.

Except that he was better for us than both Stewart and Wiseman..

LOL ,Your wrong Stewart is much better than muscala by a long shot.Stewart can play much better defence

Yeah, Stew is criminally underrated on this board sometimes. A lot of us can agree that he shouldn't be a full-time starting PF, but he's a valuable player and is actually the team leader in +/- this season.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,707

Post#30 » by Invictus88 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:56 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
kellmellus50 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:Except that he was better for us than both Stewart and Wiseman..

Yeah, Stew is criminally underrated on this board sometimes. A lot of us can agree that he shouldn't be a full-time starting PF, but he's a valuable player and is actually the team leader in +/- this season.

So it's criminal to say that in our starting lineup it makes more sense to have Stew there than someone else like Fontecchio or Muscala? Because don't look now but Ku's podcast is suggesting that we are now going to go BACK to putting Stew in the starting lineup going forward.

The key to what I was saying above was the clause 'FOR US'. We are criminally shorthanded when it comes to players that draw defenders to the perimeter; especially in the starting lineup and even in the 2nd unit as well.

Stew. does. not. help. this. in. any. way. You must have been blindfolded watching last game where he came back if you think Stew is better. Because if you actually had functional eyesight then you saw that Stewart was being defended by nobody. You could drive a bus between Stewart and his defender on offense. And where do those defenders go if they aren't defending Stew? Oh right. They go to doubling and tripling Cade.

I literally do not understand these folks that defend Stew and then go around and then knock Cade for not being good enough. We will never see eye to eye here; because frankly my eyes are still working and theirs apparently don't. I welcome them back shortly in a few games to the other thread disparaging Cade for being bad again; calling him ineffective and calling for him to be traded for a bag of magic beans.

It's just sickening. And it looks like we are about to see a lot more of it.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,350

Post#31 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:08 pm

Bending over backwards to do right by back up level players that could play a decent role for us and just cutting them for nothing is poor asset management. There's not some pot of gold at the end of the rainbow where years of being extra super nice to players and their agents suddenly makes a superstar come here in free agency.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#32 » by DBC10 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:26 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Bending over backwards to do right by back up level players that could play a decent role for us and just cutting them for nothing is poor asset management. There's not some pot of gold at the end of the rainbow where years of being extra super nice to players and their agents suddenly makes a superstar come here in free agency.

Yeah doing nice for the agents rarely yield some mega star to come here. Agents don't suddenly whisper into a stars ear to go to Detroit/whoever because they remember they did this and that for their past clients. It's all purely transactional to a degree, no human element involved
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,817

Post#33 » by theBigLip » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:32 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Bending over backwards to do right by back up level players that could play a decent role for us and just cutting them for nothing is poor asset management. There's not some pot of gold at the end of the rainbow where years of being extra super nice to players and their agents suddenly makes a superstar come here in free agency.

Yeah doing nice for the agents rarely yield some mega star to come here. Agents don't suddenly whisper into a stars ear to go to Detroit/whoever because they remember they did this and that for their past clients. It's all purely transactional to a degree, no human element involved

No, we don’t get superstars unless we develop them or trade for them. But I disagree that being cooperative with agents doesn’t matter. And players certainly pay attention to this stuff too.
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#34 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:07 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
kellmellus50 wrote:

So it's criminal to say that in our starting lineup it makes more sense to have Stew there than someone else like Fontecchio or Muscala? Because don't look now but Ku's podcast is suggesting that we are now going to go BACK to putting Stew in the starting lineup going forward.

The key to what I was saying above was the clause 'FOR US'. We are criminally shorthanded when it comes to players that draw defenders to the perimeter; especially in the starting lineup and even in the 2nd unit as well.

Stew. does. not. help. this. in. any. way. You must have been blindfolded watching last game where he came back if you think Stew is better. Because if you actually had functional eyesight then you saw that Stewart was being defended by nobody. You could drive a bus between Stewart and his defender on offense. And where do those defenders go if they aren't defending Stew? Oh right. They go to doubling and tripling Cade.

I literally do not understand these folks that defend Stew and then go around and then knock Cade for not being good enough. We will never see eye to eye here; because frankly my eyes are still working and theirs apparently don't. I welcome them back shortly in a few games to the other thread disparaging Cade for being bad again; calling him ineffective and calling for him to be traded for a bag of magic beans.

Wow, where did I say that? You've taken my statement and completely warped it to try and present your argument.

The statement that Stew is our team leader in +/- is based entirely in fact, look it up. I agree with you that he shouldn't be starting for us (which I stated above), but saying that Muscala is better for us is a ridiculous thing to say and you were rightly called out for it by two posters.

And neither of us made any statement about Cade, yet you've somehow dragged that in here for some reason too.

Just a completely bizarre response.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,707

Post#35 » by Invictus88 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:22 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Wow, where did I say that? You've taken my statement and completely warped it to try and present your argument.

The statement that Stew is our team leader in +/- is based entirely in fact, look it up. I agree with you that he shouldn't be starting for us (which I stated above), but saying that Muscala is better for us is a ridiculous thing to say and you were rightly called out for it by two posters.

And neither of us made any statement about Cade, yet you've somehow dragged that in here for some reason too.

Not really. It was based on the general sentiment that Stewart is criminally underrated; which you happened to state. I didn't really care that it was you specifically that made the post.

I freely admit to it being a bit of a rant but I stand behind the reasoning within.

Apologies if you took personal offense. You were just the latest messenger parroting it.

Muscala IS better for us compared to Stewart. Our biggest need is spacing and balance in our lineups. Muscala is much better at providing it.

Just really watch tonight's game. You can already see that Stewart’s defender's toughest job defending him on the perimeter is avoiding 3 second calls as they stand in the paint.
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#36 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:24 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Not really. It was based on the general sentiment that Stewart is criminally underrated; which you happened to state. I didn't really care that it was you specifically that made the post.

I freely admit to it being a bit of a rant but I stand behind the reasoning within.

Apologies if you took personal offense. You were just the latest messenger parroting it.

No worries, we're all just passionate about our team and some of us hold differing opinions, would be a dull forum if we didn't!
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,350

Post#37 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:43 am

theBigLip wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

No, we don’t get superstars unless we develop them or trade for them. But I disagree that being cooperative with agents doesn’t matter. And players certainly pay attention to this stuff too.

I'm not saying be jerks to players just to be jerks, just that there's no huge upside and it's poor asset management to give into every player's whims. That said, ultimately doesn't matter too much with end of bench guys.

Return to Detroit Pistons