ImageImageImage

Game 61 - Pistons @ Heat - 7:30pm ET

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,106

Re: Game 51 - Pistons @ Heat - 7:30pm ET 

Post#61 » by bstein14 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:50 am

Our best five are out there to close it out.

Cade + Font + Ausar + Stew + Duren. (Ivey might get back there eventually he's just been shooting so bad as of late).

Props to Monty for putting them out there and for only using a 9 man rotation tonight.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,724

Post#62 » by Cowology » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:52 am

Mr Peanut wrote:Butler decided he ain't losing to the Pistons.
My current celebrity man crush. I want this guy in a Pistons uni so damn bad.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#63 » by vege » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:53 am

28% from 3 as a team, and that's with Cade shooting 4 from 8 from 3.

Good thing we dumped all those old 40%+ 3 point shooters off our roster.
Fennis Dembo
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#64 » by Fennis Dembo » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:54 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:Ivey's shot is so off tonight. If he hit even a couple of these jump shots we'd be tied up or in the lead right now.

Hes been shooting awful post ASB. 6/35 from 3pt.

After hitting 12 straight shortly before. Dude needs a sports psychologist or something. Monty messed up his mind.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,366

Post#65 » by flow » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:54 am

bstein14 wrote:Jaden Ivey dribbles for 16 seconds, passes gets it back and big time airball what a play call.

You're blaming the coach instead of the player for that? Give me a break.

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#66 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:56 am

vege wrote:28% from 3 as a team, and that's with Cade shooting 4 from 8 from 3.

Good thing we dumped all those old 40%+ 3 point shooters off our roster.
This guy complained incessantly about the lack of defense when they were here and now he's crying about missing their shooting. Stfu.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,106

Post#67 » by bstein14 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:56 am

flow wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Jaden Ivey dribbles for 16 seconds, passes gets it back and big time airball what a play call.

There was no play run... Of course most coaches would want a play ran in that situation. 2002 Rick Carlisle would be screaming a play call to Ivey if he was just standing on the perimeter over dribbling.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#68 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:58 am

flow wrote:

Yeah Monty not only told Jaden to dribble for 16 seconds but he also told Jalen to turn down a semi open 4 footer to kick it back out to Jaden. The final instruction to Jaden was to airball it. Yep they did it just like Monty drew it up.

DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#69 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:01 am

bstein14 wrote:
flow wrote:

There was no play run... Of course most coaches would want a play ran in that situation. 2002 Rick Carlisle would be screaming a play call to Ivey if he was just standing on the perimeter over dribbling.
You honestly think that after 86 straight possessions of Cade bringing the ball up court, there's a dead ball ft situation and all of a sudden Jaden is initiating the offense, that a play call wasn't discussed prior to that?

Fennis Dembo
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#70 » by Fennis Dembo » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:15 am

Mr Peanut wrote:Butler decided he ain't losing to the Pistons.

That really was the most import factor. There's a reason they keep making the conf champs/finals. He's the reason.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#71 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:28 am

Cowology wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Hes been shooting awful post ASB. 6/35 from 3pt

I'm more confidant that Ausar is going to make them right now than I am with Ivey. Hopefully he kicks out of this slump soon he's actually fallen below last season's average now where for a while it looked like something he improved on this year.
Is it a slump? Or is it a function of Cade returning to the lineup?

We keep looking at Cade as the indicator as to whether they can co-exist, but the offense warps to Cade regardless. Ivey is 100% suffering from his current role. Whether coaching can fix that is debatable, but if staggering their minutes is the solution that's still problematic.

He surely was playing better while Cade was out. Hes just not an off ball player.

That said like I mentioned above I think the 3pt shooting was running hot. If their was an actual change in his mechanics somewhere it would show up on the FT line. His college FT% was 74% he shot 74.6% as a rookie and hes shooting 74.7% this year. Ivey gets to the line at a good rate so its a good sample size. Even the 3pt % 34.3% as a rook and 34.1% this season.
Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,271

Post#72 » by Neptune » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:32 am

At least our starters played better tonight compared to our last game. Ivey gotta find that 3pter again, not sure why he's been off.

We're just too young to compete with these playoff level teams, not really mad at this lost.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#73 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:32 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Cowology wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
I'm more confidant that Ausar is going to make them right now than I am with Ivey. Hopefully he kicks out of this slump soon he's actually fallen below last season's average now where for a while it looked like something he improved on this year.
Is it a slump? Or is it a function of Cade returning to the lineup?

We keep looking at Cade as the indicator as to whether they can co-exist, but the offense warps to Cade regardless. Ivey is 100% suffering from his current role. Whether coaching can fix that is debatable, but if staggering their minutes is the solution that's still problematic.

He surely was playing better while Cade was out. Hes just not an off ball player.

That said like I mentioned above I think the 3pt shooting was running hot. If their was an actual change in his mechanics somewhere it would show up on the FT line. His college FT% was 74% he shot 74.6% as a rookie and hes shooting 74.7% this year. Ivey gets to the line at a good rate so its a good sample size. Even the 3pt % 34.3% as a rook and 34.1% this season.
What do people think would be an acceptable 3 point percentage for Ivey?

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:40 am

DetroitSho wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Cowology wrote:Is it a slump? Or is it a function of Cade returning to the lineup?

League average from 3pter is:

pg-37.1%
SG- 37.5%

To me its not just the shooting thats just part of it. Its also his defensive awareness its bad. He doesnt even average 1steal per game being as athletic and long as he is. Even in college when he was the best athlete in the nation returning to school he couldnt average 1 steal per game.

I want a guard next to Cade who can play off the ball and 3+D. Motown has me sold on Reed Sheppard in this years draft. He would be the perfect guy next to Cade. Shoots lights out plays good defense avg 2.5 spg as a fresh and is shooting like 50+% from 3pter. Hes projected to be a top 5 pick and were locked into the top 5.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,956

Post#75 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:17 am

Hate to say it- I'm kind of ready for the season to be over and just start talking about the draft/offseason.

I know there isn't a ton of hope for those things either, but the games just aren't doing much for me.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#76 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:17 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

pg-37.1%
SG- 37.5%

To me its not just the shooting thats just part of it. Its also his defensive awareness its bad. He doesnt even average 1steal per game being as athletic and long as he is. Even in college when he was the best athlete in the nation returning to school he couldnt average 1 steal per game.

I want a guard next to Cade who can play off the ball and 3+D. Motown has me sold on Reed Sheppard in this years draft. He would be the perfect guy next to Cade. Shoots lights out plays good defense avg 2.5 spg as a fresh and is shooting like 50+% from 3pter. Hes projected to be a top 5 pick and were locked into the top 5.
Coming into tonight if he'd made 8 more 3s he'd be at 37%.

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:21 am

DetroitSho wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:What do people think would be an acceptable 3 point percentage for Ivey?

pg-37.1%
SG- 37.5%

Coming into tonight if he'd made 8 more 3s he'd be at 37%.

Yeah and if he missed 8 more he would be even lower.

Fact of the matter is his 3pt % is slightly worse then last year. He has the exact same FT% as a rookie and 2nd year NBA player as he did in college. 74% FT shooting doesnt equate to a + 3pt shooter very often and nothing in his stats or by eye test say hes improving.

Again its not just a shooting thing its the defense as well.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#78 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:27 am

I remain concerned by how rarely we ever see Cade and Ivey playing well at the same time.

And yeah, I'm super done with the front court. I appreciate trying to get more reps with the "core four" to see if they are viable. But it's simply insanity for Stewart to be the 5th starter in that equation.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:43 am

Snakebites wrote:I remain concerned by how rarely we ever see Cade and Ivey playing well at the same time.

And yeah, I'm super done with the front court. I appreciate trying to get more reps with the "core four" to see if they are viable. But it's simply insanity for Stewart to be the 5th starter in that equation.

I think the theory with Tecch on the bench is we need the scoring punch there. He clearly has played at a starters level though.

When Grimes returns healthy we could move Ivey to the bench to be a high usage on ball 6th man and Tecch back to starter. Grimes obv was awful on offense for us shooting 21% from 3pt but he is a career 37.5% guy. That in theory would give us the 3+D player next to Cade and allow Ivey to be at his best on the ball. In practice who knows if Grimes will be the guy he was in NY for us or if/when he gets fully healthy.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#80 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:47 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I remain concerned by how rarely we ever see Cade and Ivey playing well at the same time.

I think the theory with Tecch on the bench is we need the scoring punch there. He clearly has played at a starters level though.

When Grimes returns healthy we could move Ivey to the bench to be a high usage on ball 6th man and Tecch back to starter. Grimes obv was awful on offense for us shooting 21% from 3pt but he is a career 37.5% guy. That in theory would give us the 3+D player next to Cade and allow Ivey to be at his best on the ball. In practice who knows if Grimes will be the guy he was in NY for us or if/when he gets fully healthy.

At this point what I want is to see better player development. Starting that front court leads to poor spacing, which leads to bad shots, turnovers, and less opportunity for Cade/Ivey.

It really is as simple as that.

Return to Detroit Pistons