Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Re: Taj Gibson? 

Post#21 » by Canadafan » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:50 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Weaver….

Dude is counting sheep while others are playing chess.

Counting sheep? More like being fleeced.

I don’t get it.
In: Fontecchio & Grimes
Out: BB, Burks, Morris, Hayes

That doesn’t seem like getting fleeced to me.

Not to mention,
Dumping Bagleys contract, setting us up for massive cap space this summer
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:50 pm

Taj Gibson has been a Thibs favorite for his entire career (and Thibs' entire head coaching career). He turned up everywhere Thibs did.

He was obviously there in Chicago, then he turned up in Minnesota when Thibs was there (and was running b-ball operations). He was already in New York when Thibs turned up there, but then Thibs brought him back again, and strung him along for a few short contracts.

If he couldn't even hang with a coach who obviously respects him and values what he brings to the table, that should be considered a sizable red flag.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#23 » by SuperBad » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:34 pm

I don’t think he’s going to hurt anything, a round robin of veterans on ten day contracts just hanging around the team might be good for them.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by Canadafan » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:44 pm

I would hope people don't think we're signing Taj Gibson to actually play lol.
Come on peeps, this is purely a vet mentor role
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#25 » by Drwho17 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:09 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Sure. He’s probably better than Wiseman.

Only issue is that our best option at backup center is currently starting at the 4 and our organization refuses to acknowledge it.

Stew is a proud guy that has put a lot of work into his 3 point shot to play passable time at the 4.

Even if backup 5 is the best option for him long term, I don’t have a problem letting him play out the rest of the season as a starter.

Once there’s an infusion of talent with all of our cap space, it will be easier to shuffle the deck with him coming off the bench.

I do, I think these games are valuable to see what we have. Need to move Stewart to the bench as after 4 years in the league, that's where his value lies, we can't have Cade/Ivey on the court with Ausar/Stewart/Duren, one of Ausar/Stewart/Duren needs to be on the bench, obvsiously not Duren, so it's between Stewart and Ausar and I think I'd rather have Ausar on the court rather than Stewart at this point in their careers.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#26 » by Drwho17 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:14 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:Wiseman is unplayable. He doesn't deserve a spot even in a GLeague roster, that's how bad he is.

Totally disagree. He's all of 22 years old. Getting rid of Bagley is giving him more minutes which he needs. It's not about getting another win or two this year - it's about teaching the young guys how to play better.

How much longer to wait for this guy, this is his 4th year (average career length)? He's rather useless at this point, his only play is to get in the way really, he was still mostly on the bench after getting rid of Bagley, Muscala too that time. He is just too passive, he rarely gets a competitive rebound, has trouble when guarded closely, fumbles the ball around, I just don't see much from him that looks he's going to turn into a positive player at some point.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#27 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:56 pm

Drwho17 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:Wiseman is unplayable. He doesn't deserve a spot even in a GLeague roster, that's how bad he is.

Totally disagree. He's all of 22 years old. Getting rid of Bagley is giving him more minutes which he needs. It's not about getting another win or two this year - it's about teaching the young guys how to play better.

How much longer to wait for this guy, this is his 4th year (average career length)? He's rather useless at this point, his only play is to get in the way really, he was still mostly on the bench after getting rid of Bagley, Muscala too that time. He is just too passive, he rarely gets a competitive rebound, has trouble when guarded closely, fumbles the ball around, I just don't see much from him that looks he's going to turn into a positive player at some point.

He’s far from perfect, but watching him recently I see him getting lob dunks, rebounding and moving his feet on D. 4 years in the league, but he missed his college experience and didn’t get playing time with the Warriors. I’m certainly willing to give him some more time. But he is extension eligible - need to get him to sign a cheap contract.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#28 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:41 pm

Canadafan wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:Counting sheep? More like being fleeced.

I don’t get it.
In: Fontecchio & Grimes
Out: BB, Burks, Morris, Hayes

That doesn’t seem like getting fleeced to me.

Not to mention,
Dumping Bagleys contract, setting us up for massive cap space this summer

Bagley's contract was a self-inflicted shot. Jury's out on Grimes. Morris is doing better with Minny. And Killian being a starter until being waived was getting fleeced.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#29 » by joedumars1 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:51 pm

He our backup center/pf? I haven’t seen him
Play in forever. Maybe he isn’t washed and he can help, lol
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#30 » by joedumars1 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:56 pm

He our backup center/pf? I haven’t seen him
Play in forever. Maybe he isn’t washed and he can help, lol
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,168

Post#31 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:19 am

Yes, we brought him in because of the Tellem connection. Yes, he's either close to or is unplayable. It's still a good pickup. He's a pro's pro. He brings positivity. He can bring knowledge and a way of approaching the game to our bigs. There's absolutely no reason to complain about this move unless you're worried about the relative pennies coming out of Tom Gores' pocket.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#32 » by bstein14 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:30 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:Yes, we brought him in because of the Tellem connection. Yes, he's either close to or is unplayable. It's still a good pickup. He's a pro's pro. He brings positivity. He can bring knowledge and a way of approaching the game to our bigs. There's absolutely no reason to complain about this move unless you're worried about the relative pennies coming out of Tom Gores' pocket.

I saw him on the clip out there giving hive fives to kids court side that alone is worth 10 days at the minimum.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#33 » by theBigLip » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:45 am

theBigLip wrote:
Drwho17 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

He’s far from perfect, but watching him recently I see him getting lob dunks, rebounding and moving his feet on D. 4 years in the league, but he missed his college experience and didn’t get playing time with the Warriors. I’m certainly willing to give him some more time. But he is extension eligible - need to get him to sign a cheap contract.

Tonight into the 3rd quarter - Wiseman
8 minutes, 6 points, 3 rebounds. What’s wrong with that?
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by Canadafan » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:35 am

Read on Twitter
?t=gIQjOi_XTCX23C208uemNw&s=19
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#35 » by Rip32 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:52 pm

Taj Gibson like 44 years old :noway:

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#36 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 am

He's lowkey seemed to have a good impact on Wiseman thus far.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#37 » by tmorgan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:22 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:He's lowkey seemed to have a good impact on Wiseman thus far.

I mean, we can’t prove squat, but it’s one heck of a coincidence that Wiseman stopped looking like an idiot when Taj showed up.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#38 » by vege » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:54 am

tmorgan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:He's lowkey seemed to have a good impact on Wiseman thus far.

I mean, we can’t prove squat, but it’s one heck of a coincidence that Wiseman stopped looking like an idiot when Taj showed up.

So hire him as a coach, he's not a NBA player anymore.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#39 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:19 am

Having a big who's good for 6 hard fouls is better than nothing,
I doubt Monty's smart enough to use him that way, though.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#40 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:41 pm

vege wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

So hire him as a coach, he's not a NBA player anymore.

This is essentially a coaching try out, imo. He won't see the floor and we don't need him to.

Return to Detroit Pistons