theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Re: Salary Cap 2024/ Free Agency Budget 

Post#61 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Weaver is stubborn on holding prospects he believes in. We surely need to shake up this up though I agree.

Bey got traded out. Hayes got dumped (although a little late). Bagley and Livers traded out. The only one extended is Stewart, and next up Wiseman, Fontecchio and Cade. Seems about right to me.

Yeah Bey got traded when his value tanked and he told the FO how much he wanted on his next contract. We traded him for Wiseman who was a prospect that Weaver believed in. The same with Bagley a prospect that Weaver believed in and tried trading for multiple times who he also way overpaid. Weaver is stubborn with prospects he likes even after seeing them fail he goes after them.

Hayes was dumped way way to late. Livers should of been off the team early he never showed nothing. The FO kept trying to talk Livers up like he was some kinda 3+D player that should start. I've got no faith in Troy to make aggressive moves and move guys before their value is tanked.

Honestly I'm not sure why you consistently defend Weaver. The product on the court is terrible. Their was a point in time where some fans here compared our roster in a thread to OKC,Hou,and Orl and people thought we had betteer stuff then Orl and Hou now we have been way passed by them. We have a "core 4" that fits so bad even the biggest Pistons media shill James Edwards is writing articles about how its not going to work. Were literally set up to be in a position to have to tank for lotto picks for another few seasons after all this time.

I guess I defend Weaver because I think we’re in the final stage of the rebuild.

I agree we have mismatched pieces. If we had some lottery luck, we could have Chet, Wemby, Paolo, etc. it’s really not Weaver’s fault that we got stuck w Ausar and Ivey.

Regardless, we are where we are. Some of our core are not true starters. If we get a couple of solid established players this summer, that should be the missing pieces. They are most likely going to have to be part of a trade.

Cade/Sassar
???/Ivey/Grimes
???/Fontecchio/Risacher(?)
???/Thompson
Duren/Stewart/Wiseman

Can we replace those ??? With real players this summer? If so, that lineup looks ok to me. And this is the $60-70M question. So for me, Weaver’s grade is still incomplete.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#62 » by flow » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:24 pm

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Bey got traded out. Hayes got dumped (although a little late). Bagley and Livers traded out. The only one extended is Stewart, and next up Wiseman, Fontecchio and Cade. Seems about right to me.

Yeah Bey got traded when his value tanked and he told the FO how much he wanted on his next contract. We traded him for Wiseman who was a prospect that Weaver believed in. The same with Bagley a prospect that Weaver believed in and tried trading for multiple times who he also way overpaid. Weaver is stubborn with prospects he likes even after seeing them fail he goes after them.

Hayes was dumped way way to late. Livers should of been off the team early he never showed nothing. The FO kept trying to talk Livers up like he was some kinda 3+D player that should start. I've got no faith in Troy to make aggressive moves and move guys before their value is tanked.

Honestly I'm not sure why you consistently defend Weaver. The product on the court is terrible. Their was a point in time where some fans here compared our roster in a thread to OKC,Hou,and Orl and people thought we had betteer stuff then Orl and Hou now we have been way passed by them. We have a "core 4" that fits so bad even the biggest Pistons media shill James Edwards is writing articles about how its not going to work. Were literally set up to be in a position to have to tank for lotto picks for another few seasons after all this time.

I guess I defend Weaver because I think we’re in the final stage of the rebuild.

I agree we have mismatched pieces. If we had some lottery luck, we could have Chet, Wemby, Paolo, etc. it’s really not Weaver’s fault that we got stuck w Ausar and Ivey.

Regardless, we are where we are. Some of our core are not true starters. If we get a couple of solid established players this summer, that should be the missing pieces. They are most likely going to have to be part of a trade.

Cade/Sassar
???/Ivey/Grimes
???/Thompson
Duren/Stewart/Wiseman

Can we replace those ??? With real players this summer? If so, that lineup looks ok to me. And this is the $60-70M question. So for me, Weaver’s grade is still incomplete.

A GM who is in the "final stage of a rebuild" with a 12-59 record and still in need of 3 starting-caliber players in the off-season doesn't have an incomplete grade.

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#63 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 pm

flow wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Cade/Sassar
???/Ivey/Grimes
???/Thompson
Duren/Stewart/Wiseman

A GM who is in the "final stage of a rebuild" with a 12-59 record and still in need of 3 starting-caliber players in the off-season doesn't have an incomplete grade.

If you’re only criteria is wins/losses, then you’re right. My criteria for the last couple of years has been getting a young core on rookie scale contracts and getting our cap space in order. It was premature to blow money on vets that would get us more wins and take away playing time from the rookies. So for me, it’s been successful. But now it’s time to finish the job. And my criteria next year (after free agency ) will be wins as well. Would 30+ be progress to you?
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#64 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

It will never happen, but for discussion's sake let's say that the Clippers flame out in the playoffs and decide that they need to move on from Paul George, and the Sixers don't front up the money he wants. I believe the max he can sign for is around 55M per season (might even be more).

If Paul George was willing to sign with us for three years at 55M per year, do we make that move? Keeping in mind he will be 34 when next season starts and the recent injury history is fairly significant. And it uses up almost all of our cap.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#65 » by Canadafan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

^^^Nah, I say we overpay 3 MLE level players if we bring back all our guys. We got lots of holes to fill lol. Likely Ivey plus draft picks won't get us anyone anyways

C- Duren Stew Vet Min
PF-FA Fontecchio
SF-Ausar FA
SG-Ivey Grimes
PG-Cade FA VetMin

Draft best available and hope for a miracle
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#66 » by zeebneeb » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:It will never happen, but for discussion's sake let's say that the Clippers flame out in the playoffs and decide that they need to move on from Paul George, and the Sixers don't front up the money he wants. I believe the max he can sign for is around 55M per season (might even be more).

If Paul George was willing to sign with us for three years at 55M per year, do we make that move? Keeping in mind he will be 34 when next season starts and the recent injury history is fairly significant. And it uses up almost all of our cap.
If this happens, it's Weaver trying to save his ass, and Gores once again signing off on a Blake move.

That would signal the end.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#67 » by breezypeezy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
breezypeezy wrote:Could a few of you post who will for sure be back on the roster next year?
Id feel much encouraged seeing a lot of this trash getting swept out.

Unfortunately if Weaver is here he will still believe in his "guys". Therefore I could see the framework of the roster being:

Duren/Stewart
FA (Harris or Bridges)/Fontecchio
Ausar/Grimes
Ivey/Sasser
Cade/FA

Basically a reasonable chance that 80% of the rotation will be the same as our fully healthy roster now.

I feel like a legitimate question mark is hanging over Ivey though - if one of the "core four" is traded I think it's him.

So bringing back just those guys and our FRP, how much of that projectef $60 million in cap money is still available for FA's?

Basically im trying understand what the real amount of FA money that we could use because it always seems to get waisted by Weaver on trash before we can add any impactful players.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#68 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:43 am

breezypeezy wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
breezypeezy wrote:Could a few of you post who will for sure be back on the roster next year?
Id feel much encouraged seeing a lot of this trash getting swept out.

Unfortunately if Weaver is here he will still believe in his "guys". Therefore I could see the framework of the roster being:

Duren/Stewart
Ausar/Grimes
Ivey/Sasser
Cade/FA

Basically a reasonable chance that 80% of the rotation will be the same as our fully healthy roster now.

I feel like a legitimate question mark is hanging over Ivey though - if one of the "core four" is traded I think it's him.

So bringing back just those guys and our FRP, how much of that projectef $60 million in cap money is still available for FA's?

Basically im trying understand what the real amount of FA money that we could use because it always seems to get waisted by Weaver on trash before we can add any impactful players.

I imagine in this scenario 25-30M would go to either Harris or Bridges, 15M to re-signing Fontecchio and 10-15M to a good backup guard. Whatever is leftover is used to round out the roster with vets/minimum guys.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#69 » by breezypeezy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:58 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
breezypeezy wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Duren/Stewart
Ausar/Grimes
Ivey/Sasser
Cade/FA

I imagine in this scenario 25-30M would go to either Harris or Bridges, 15M to re-signing Fontecchio and 10-15M to a good backup guard. Whatever is leftover is used to round out the roster with vets/minimum guys.
Also we will have to subract the money our FRP costs .
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#70 » by Canadafan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:46 am

breezypeezy wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
breezypeezy wrote:So bringing back just those guys and our FRP, how much of that projectef $60 million in cap money is still available for FA's?

Thought Fontecchio signs after we use cap space?
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#71 » by keepitrealhomes » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:18 pm

breezypeezy wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
breezypeezy wrote:So bringing back just those guys and our FRP, how much of that projectef $60 million in cap money is still available for FA's?

Only if we sign them before FA, which I don’t believe there’s a rule that says you have to.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#72 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:14 pm

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Cade/Sassar
???/Ivey/Grimes
???/Thompson
Duren/Stewart/Wiseman

I think we need to be realistic. We're not getting 3 new starters this upcoming free agency. I'm guessing Weaver believes Fontecchio is a starter next year. He'll get resigned. Beyond that, I think we get maybe 1 or 2 guys max (either trade or free agency) that can be slotted in as starters next year. Some of those guys you have as backups (Sasser, Ivey, Thompson) need to develop into something more for us to really move the needle.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons