Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Re: Salary Cap 2024/ Free Agency Budget 

Post#41 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:13 pm

bstein14 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

The big thing is.

#1 It's ridiculously unlikely any team with cap space is going to try to sign him to an above MLE deal since he's a RFA. The only team I could see doing it is Utah. Orlando has good starting forwards.

#2 Only a few teams (maybe 6 or 7) have full non tax MLE which is expected to be about 4 years $55 million. If another team offers that we should happily match it. I'm fine with Weaver offering him up to MLE $ anything more doesn't make sense he should go get that offer from another team and match.

Good points and I’m sure we will be able to keep him.

There’s another benefit of your point #2 - Pistons are in a great position to get those above MLE players since we have the cap space. The MLE is the highest for a lot of teams to offer. So after OG and Siakam get maxed, we (and the Spurs) should be controlling free agency.

True I'm overrating him due to being used to watching so many bad players over the Weaver era. Anyone who is rotation level on other teams feels like a star for us.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#42 » by Canadafan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:50 pm

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#43 » by theBigLip » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:33 pm

Canadafan wrote:https://pistonpowered.com/posts/detroit-pistons-surprise-star-could-be-available-this-summer

I always that Paul George was a bad ass. I’d give him a 3 year max. Grab a couple more shooters as well and we look like another team.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#44 » by joedumars1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Sign me up

Cade
Someone who can shoot
Pg13/ausar or font
Font/ausar or pg13
Duren

I wouldn’t mind that, sure there’s better lineups
People can come up with tho.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#45 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:54 pm

joedumars1 wrote:Sign me up

Cade
Someone who can shoot
Pg13/ausar or font
Font/ausar or pg13
Duren

I’d roll the dice on PG but it’s a massive long shot.

I can’t conceive why he’d choose the Piston’s given any remotely similar options.

The Clippers are a contender, he’s from California and they’re opening a new area with him being a face of the franchise with Kawhi. I don’t see it.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#46 » by joedumars1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:07 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

Cade
Someone who can shoot
Pg13/ausar or font
Font/ausar or pg13
Duren

I can’t conceive why he’d choose the Piston’s given any remotely similar options.

The Clippers are a contender, he’s from California and they’re opening a new area with him being a face of the franchise with Kawhi. I don’t see it.

I don’t either, just saying he’s one I’m on bored to throw a bag at lol. There’s not many players I am, even cade it’s very scary, but we kinda have to
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#47 » by theBigLip » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:42 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

Cade
Someone who can shoot
Pg13/ausar or font
Font/ausar or pg13
Duren

Agree on your points, but why hasn't he got that max extension yet from the Clippers?
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#48 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:47 pm

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Cade
Someone who can shoot
Pg13/ausar or font
Font/ausar or pg13
Duren

Agree on your points, but why hasn't he got that max extension yet from the Clippers?

It’s really hard to say. I’ve heard a lot of Clippers fans complaining about his play and general availability.

Kawahi didn’t get a max deal.

He’s going to be 34 this offseason and health is a concern.

The Clippers are probably trying to toe the line so they can resign Harden without being completely reckless with their balance sheet.

I’m not sure if there’s a path for them to get under the second apron.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by Canadafan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:55 am

Read on Twitter
?t=_ni-Dtx_2iZIokllMKM9wQ&s=19
aad
Starter
And1: 466

Post#50 » by aad » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:04 am

Thinking we going after a PF and SG that can shoot

I hate to say this but this might be Ivey last season here and I’m a Ivey fan
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#51 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:21 am

The Sixers are in a better spot and also fairly desperate for an infusion of talent. That is Paul George's most likely destination if the Clippers let him go.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#52 » by SuperBad » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:42 pm

Malik Monk, Dario Saric, resign Wiseman, Fentechio, and Tooson, draft best available forward
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by Canadafan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 pm

SuperBad wrote:Malik Monk, Dario Saric, resign Wiseman, Fentechio, and Tooson, draft best available forward

Monk yes. Saric no
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#54 » by breezypeezy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am

Could a few of you post who will for sure be back on the roster next year?
Id feel much encouraged seeing a lot of this trash getting swept out.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#55 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:19 am

breezypeezy wrote:Could a few of you post who will for sure be back on the roster next year?
Id feel much encouraged seeing a lot of this trash getting swept out.

Unfortunately if Weaver is here he will still believe in his "guys". Therefore I could see the framework of the roster being:

Duren/Stewart
FA (Harris or Bridges)/Fontecchio
Ausar/Grimes
Ivey/Sasser
Cade/FA

Basically a reasonable chance that 80% of the rotation will be the same as our fully healthy roster now.

I feel like a legitimate question mark is hanging over Ivey though - if one of the "core four" is traded I think it's him.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:05 pm

Weaver is stubborn on holding prospects he believes in. We surely need to shake up this up though I agree.

I'm getting on the phone across the league with Ivey+top 5pick for best offer. Ivey has only slightly improved from his rookie season. If he comes back next season as this same level of player his trade value is going to be dusted.

Ivey wasnt some one and done raw college player he had to return to school to level up and raise his draft stock to top 5 hes only 5 months younger then Cade. Him not showing much growth from year 1 to 2 is scary to me. Go check his per36 numbers hes nearly the same guy as year one. Just outside the fit with Cade(bad) I just question how valuable a elite slashing bad defense no 3pter combo guard can be.

Honestly I'd be OK with moving Duren,Ausar, or Stew as well. I love Ausars defense but if you cant shoot you cant play. I'm not like trying to get off these guys as much as Ivey+pick but if we need to add them to deal to get a impact player so be it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#57 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Weaver is stubborn on holding prospects he believes in. We surely need to shake up this up though I agree.

Bey got traded out. Hayes got dumped (although a little late). Bagley and Livers traded out. The only one extended is Stewart, and next up Wiseman, Fontecchio and Cade. Seems about right to me.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:09 pm

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Weaver is stubborn on holding prospects he believes in. We surely need to shake up this up though I agree.

Bey got traded out. Hayes got dumped (although a little late). Bagley and Livers traded out. The only one extended is Stewart, and next up Wiseman, Fontecchio and Cade. Seems about right to me.

Yeah Bey got traded when his value tanked and he told the FO how much he wanted on his next contract. We traded him for Wiseman who was a prospect that Weaver believed in. The same with Bagley a prospect that Weaver believed in and tried trading for multiple times who he also way overpaid. Weaver is stubborn with prospects he likes even after seeing them fail he goes after them.

Hayes was dumped way way to late. Livers should of been off the team early he never showed nothing. The FO kept trying to talk Livers up like he was some kinda 3+D player that should start. I've got no faith in Troy to make aggressive moves and move guys before their value is tanked.

Honestly I'm not sure why you consistently defend Weaver. The product on the court is terrible. Their was a point in time where some fans here compared our roster in a thread to OKC,Hou,and Orl and people thought we had betteer stuff then Orl and Hou now we have been way passed by them. We have a "core 4" that fits so bad even the biggest Pistons media shill James Edwards is writing articles about how its not going to work. Were literally set up to be in a position to have to tank for lotto picks for another few seasons after all this time.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#59 » by MotownMadness » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:21 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Yeah Bey got traded when his value tanked and he told the FO how much he wanted on his next contract. We traded him for Wiseman who was a prospect that Weaver believed in. The same with Bagley a prospect that Weaver believed in and tried trading for multiple times who he also way overpaid. Weaver is stubborn with prospects he likes even after seeing them fail he goes after them.

Hayes was dumped way way to late. Livers should of been off the team early he never showed nothing. The FO kept trying to talk Livers up like he was some kinda 3+D player that should start. I've got no faith in Troy to make aggressive moves and move guys before their value is tanked.

Honestly I'm not sure why you consistently defend Weaver. The product on the court is terrible. Their was a point in time where some fans here compared our roster in a thread to OKC,Hou,and Orl and people thought we had betteer stuff then Orl and Hou now we have been way passed by them. We have a "core 4" that fits so bad even the biggest Pistons media shill James Edwards is writing articles about how its not going to work. Were literally set up to be in a position to have to tank for lotto picks for another few seasons after all this time.

Maybe we'll just suck again and get one of Flagg or Bailey to pair with a 5 year Cade lol

Probably the best outcome even though it would suck to watch
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:34 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Yeah Bey got traded when his value tanked and he told the FO how much he wanted on his next contract. We traded him for Wiseman

Probably the best outcome even though it would suck to watch

Yeah thats what I'm coming to terms with now. Troys done such a bad job that after all these years are best option is still to tank a couple more seasons. This next class is stacked at the top and the year after has Boozer and a couple other studs. We might as well just sit back and go for those guys.

I think Cades a keeper but I'm still not sold on any of the other guys honestly. Like I like Duren and Ausar but I've got some pretty big questions on them still. Ivey just hasnt worked out I think he needs to go the way of Brandon Knight where we give up early and trade him to try turn him into something.

Return to Detroit Pistons