Post#21 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:32 pm

ahike12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Canadafan wrote:[tweet]1]?t=URSAcY5Lr35MPpyvypXajQ&s=19

Lol uh ohhhh
Ivey and picks for Markkanen and we take on Lavine into our remaining cap space
Duren Markkanen Ausur Lavine Cade starting 5

Lauri is on Utah now homie.

I'm assuming those were meant as two separate deals.

Ivey + our top pick to Utah for Markkanen
Sign Lavine outright

(No to the second half of that from me)

When I read it I figured the only way we would take Lavine is if we were getting Lauri in the same deal my bad!.

Yeah would love to get Lauri.

I'm completely off Lavine hes breaking down and approaching 30. Bulls would have to offer us up a unprotected pick for me to want to take him on at this point. Hes got an absurd contract and it has a 15% trade kicker on top.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Re: Salary Cap 2024/ Free Agency Budget 

Post#22 » by bstein14 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:34 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
ahike12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Sign Lavine outright

When I read it I figured the only way we would take Lavine is if we were getting Lauri in the same deal my bad!.

Yeah would love to get Lauri.

I'm completely off Lavine hes breaking down and approaching 30. Bulls would have to offer us up a unprotected pick for me to want to take him on at this point. Hes got an absurd contract and it has a 15% trade kicker on top.

Lauri is a FA in 2025 and about to get paid a massive max contract. No way Gores gives Cade Max, plus Laur Max, plus pays for LaVine's max all at the same time he'd be jumping into luxury tax real quick for a team with three scorers that lack defense.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#23 » by whitehops » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:11 pm

bstein14 wrote:Apparently if Font starts one more game he'll be getting a larger "starter QO" which means a few million of our cap space will disappear if we plan on keeping him.

Simone Fontecchio of the Detroit Pistons needs to start one more game to reach starter criteria. If he does, that will see his potential qualifying offer go from $3.8M to $6.3M.
Fontecchio's potential cap hold would also go up from $3.9M to $6.3M.

with ausar being ruled out for tonight my guess is we'll get the confirmation of fontecchio's starter criteria tonight.

don't know how much it will make a difference for the pistons, pretty much just uses up an extra $2.5M for his cap hold until he re-signs. with the amount of cap space we have it *shouldn't* make a difference.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#24 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:40 pm

bstein14 wrote:
ahike12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Sign Lavine outright

I still wouldn't take LaVine unless they get us Caruso as well.

That said, no chance we go out and get LaVine + Lauri. Lauri is going to be due a 5 year nearly $300 million contract after next season the same time a Max deal for Cade kicks in. If Utah has a willingness to trade him its in part because they don't think he's worth over $50+ million per season.
To them...

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#25 » by GreekAlex » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:58 pm

whitehops wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Apparently if Font starts one more game he'll be getting a larger "starter QO" which means a few million of our cap space will disappear if we plan on keeping him.

Simone Fontecchio of the Detroit Pistons needs to start one more game to reach starter criteria. If he does, that will see his potential qualifying offer go from $3.8M to $6.3M.
Fontecchio's potential cap hold would also go up from $3.9M to $6.3M.

with ausar being ruled out for tonight my guess is we'll get the confirmation of fontecchio's starter criteria tonight.

don't know how much it will make a difference for the pistons, pretty much just uses up an extra $2.5M for his cap hold until he re-signs. with the amount of cap space we have it *shouldn't* make a difference.

Is it petty that I’d rather have him not start the rest of the way so they have more flexibility?

Is it strictly based on starts or is there a minutes trigger?
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#26 » by DetroitSho » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:08 am

GreekAlex wrote:
whitehops wrote:

Is it petty that I’d rather have him not start the rest of the way so they have more flexibility?

Is it strictly based on starts or is there a minutes trigger?
Bro it's $2.5 million, if we can't re-sign Stanley Umude and Buddy Boheim I think we'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#27 » by breezypeezy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 am

I think Tek is worth (re )signing, weve already seen stretches where hes been our most reliable scorer.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#28 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 am

breezypeezy wrote:I think Tek is worth (re )signing, weve already seen stretches where hes been our most reliable scorer.

I think we traded for him with the intention of re-signing regardless. However his recent play though has moved his annual salary expectation from the 10-12M range to 15-18M range.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#29 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:24 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
breezypeezy wrote:I think Tek is worth (re )signing, weve already seen stretches where hes been our most reliable scorer.

I think we traded for him with the intention of re-signing regardless. However his recent play though has moved his annual salary expectation from the 10-12M range to 15-18M range.

Which is totally fine. We have the money and he's worth at least as much as Beefstew, IMO. He's either a starter or a sixth man for us over the length of his contract.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#30 » by theBigLip » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:00 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Which is totally fine. We have the money and he's worth at least as much as Beefstew, IMO. He's either a starter or a sixth man for us over the length of his contract.

Pay the man. Totally agree. He may never be an AllStar but he’s one of, if not the, best shooter on our team at a position of need. And the cap is going up. 3x$15M? A little more? No problemo!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#31 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 am

I think Mikal has shown he’s not a #1 and might be our target on draft night.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#32 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 am

Mr Peanut wrote:

Hopefully closer to 15 but if we need to match a 20mill dollar offer(doubt it) hes worth it.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#33 » by Canadafan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:11 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:I think Mikal has shown he’s not a #1 and might be our target on draft night.

Don't you tease me lol. I'd luv that
Him or Lauri would be glorious :nod:
bstein14
RealGM

Post#34 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Hopefully closer to 15 but if we need to match a 20mill dollar offer(doubt it) hes worth it.

The big thing is.

#1 It's ridiculously unlikely any team with cap space is going to try to sign him to an above MLE deal since he's a RFA. The only team I could see doing it is Utah. Orlando has good starting forwards.

#2 Only a few teams (maybe 6 or 7) have full non tax MLE which is expected to be about 4 years $55 million. If another team offers that we should happily match it. I'm fine with Weaver offering him up to MLE $ anything more doesn't make sense he should go get that offer from another team and match.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#35 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:42 pm

bstein14 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

The big thing is.

#1 It's ridiculously unlikely any team with cap space is going to try to sign him to an above MLE deal since he's a RFA. The only team I could see doing it is Utah. Orlando has good starting forwards.

#2 Only a few teams (maybe 6 or 7) have full non tax MLE which is expected to be about 4 years $55 million. If another team offers that we should happily match it. I'm fine with Weaver offering him up to MLE $ anything more doesn't make sense he should go get that offer from another team and match.

Well Utah isnt going to offer him that figuring they traded him.

Today not many teams have cap space but its possible that changes. Teams will make changes to their roster in the offseason and on draft night that change figures. For example the Hawks are rumored to be moving Trae Young and building around Murray. Moves like that can open up space and with a weak FA class a guy like Tecch could be a target for someone else.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#36 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm

bstein14 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

The big thing is.

Good points and I’m sure we will be able to keep him.

There’s another benefit of your point #2 - Pistons are in a great position to get those above MLE players since we have the cap space. The MLE is the highest for a lot of teams to offer. So after OG and Siakam get maxed, we (and the Spurs) should be controlling free agency.
ahike12
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#37 » by ahike12 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 pm

Canadafan wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:I think Mikal has shown he’s not a #1 and might be our target on draft night.

I think the price for Lauri is going to be MUCH higher than we'd be comfortable with. One of my best friends is a Jazz fan and they love Lauri. He's their guy.

I think our pick landing at #1 or #2, plus Ivey would be just the START of a conversation about trading for him. There'd likely have to be a lot more coming back from us in a deal.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#38 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:41 pm

theBigLip wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

The big thing is.

Good points and I’m sure we will be able to keep him.

There’s another benefit of your point #2 - Pistons are in a great position to get those above MLE players since we have the cap space. The MLE is the highest for a lot of teams to offer. So after OG and Siakam get maxed, we (and the Spurs) should be controlling free agency.

There are a ton of guys shooting 40+% from deep and scoring 10+ per game so I think some people here might be overrating Font a big as far as his pay day goes just because we've been so horrible.

Tyus Jones, Grayson Allen, Patrick Williams, Lonnie Walker IV, Jalen Smith, Obi Toppin, Luke Kennard, Gary Trent Jr, Alec Burks, Malik Beasley,

Then there are a bunch of guys just a little below 40% who are going to be in the market as well like KCP, Hayward, Monk, etc.

We are so used to bad rotation players that Font feels like a massive upgrade but the reality he is ranked like 50th to 60th best FA I think a below MLE deal is pretty possible as well. He is just like a mid tier guy but not a difference making like top 3 or 4 starter on a good team and also not a younger guy with a lot of upside still so I think he is what he is which is a solid player for us but he isn't likely to land anything near a $60 million contract I still think something like 3 years $33 million is a lot closer to what he's looking at.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#39 » by GreekAlex » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:41 pm

ahike12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

I think the price for Lauri is going to be MUCH higher than we'd be comfortable with. One of my best friends is a Jazz fan and they love Lauri. He's their guy.

I think our pick landing at #1 or #2, plus Ivey would be just the START of a conversation about trading for him. There'd likely have to be a lot more coming back from us in a deal.

Then they can keep him. No other team is going to offer a top 5 pick for Lauri.

If the Jazz would prefer to keep him, I respect that.

If they’d rather have 2 quarters, a few dimes and a nickel instead of a dollar, that’s up to them.

Other pick based packages may have 1 late lottery pick and a few mid to late firsts spread out through distant seasons.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#40 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:01 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
ahike12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Then they can keep him. No other team is going to offer a top 5 pick for Lauri.

If the Jazz would prefer to keep him, I respect that.

If they’d rather have 2 quarters, a few dimes and a nickel instead of a dollar, that’s up to them.

Other pick based packages may have 1 late lottery pick and a few mid to late firsts spread out through distant seasons.

I can guarantee you that Ainge is putting pieces of a puzzle together still he is still in the asset collecting process and he know that Lauri M is great but also knows that he is about to get a huge 5 year deal and he looks less good at $55 million per year than he does on his current deal. He's also going to be 27 in a few weeks and he'll be 28 when he signs that next deal that will pay him from years 28-33.

Return to Detroit Pistons