ImageImageImage

Bey has been bad for the Hawks this year, messed up not taking extension offer from Pistons...

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Bey has been bad for the Hawks this year, messed up not taking extension offer from Pistons... 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:48 am

Reportedly Weaver wanted Bey to accept an extension offer in the $15 mil per range but Bey thought he was worth more and thought he was a starter and this caused some friction last year.

Bey had a decent start to the season 50% from deep in Oct, 36% from deep in Nov... but he's really slumped hard a few months shooting Killian Hayes bad 23% from deep in January and March. His defensive rating has been mostly horrible this year as well, as we've witnessed in Detroit. Wiseman hasn't been good for us, but Weaver dodged a bullet if the reports were true that Weaver wanted to extend at about $15 million per and Bey wasn't having it. He's looking more like a 10th/11th man fringe rotation player this season than he is a 5th starter or 6th man.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what he gets paid this summer. His qualifying offer is $6.5 million I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that and try to bet on himself into a bigger deal but overall its a risk as well he might not get the same minutes/shots he did this season. His shooting splits look almost as bad as Killian. 42% from the floor and 31% from deep on the season.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Re: Bey has been bad for the Hawks this year, messed up not taking extension offer from Pistons... 

Post#2 » by GreekAlex » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:38 am

Maybe the 50 point game went to his head.

Some people have speculated that all of the heavy weight training hurt his shot & fluidity.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Re: Bey has been bad for the Hawks this year, messed up not taking extension offer from Pistons... 

Post#3 » by tmorgan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:09 am

Bey sucks. No 3 and no D. The only thing he does well for his position is muscle people for rebounds.

Stewart is a clearly better player at that price.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#5 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:24 am

His stock was highest after his rookie year. Would of been a epic sell high.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:20 am

Yeah, 2020 was not a good draft for Troy.

A lot of our issues stem from that one. Owing a first rounder, not having Haliburton, the conundrum that they somehow still think Stewart is a starting power forward, the Wiseman debacle, etc.

Heck, I’m sure the Bagley move can be tied back to that somehow.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#7 » by MrBigShot » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:34 am

In his rookie year he did good just spotting up and hitting threes at a good clip. After that he tried to do to much and turned into a selfish black hole.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#8 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 am

I’m probably the only one on this board that defends Weaver. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Mine is certainly an outlier.

Drafting kids that are closer to getting their drivers licenses than being a legit NBA player is really f—king hard. It usually takes a few years to see if the picks were good. “Redraft” articles are always put out and they show how upside down the final results are. It’s not one GM - they all have good picks and bad picks. And these are guys that have budgets in the millions and a small army of scouts and experts to get as much info as possible.

The top picks are more likely to pan out but even that isn’t a guarantee. And you start moving out of the top 10 and it gets really challenging. So you do the best you can but at the end of the day, it’s a bit of a crap shoot.

After the draft, you coach these guys up and hope they all develop. Some do, some don’t. But these are rookie scale contracts, so it doesn’t kill your team like it used to before they capped all the rookie salaries. You draft and then develop and watch the progress. What will f—k your team is if you give bad players extensions beyond their worth. A single extension can cost as much as multiple rookie contracts.

So we can judge Weaver on picking Hayes over Halliburton and be all pissy about it several years later. Or we can look at all the picks and extensions as a whole and look at how good of a job that has been done.

Weavers first round picks have been good for the most part. Hayes sucked, but Duren and Sasser were pretty dang good. Thompson and Ivey were consolation prizes after we got the short end of the lottery.

So now we get to Bey. He seemed ok as rookie. He had his 50 point game. But it was debatable as to how good he really was. When it seemed like he was going to demand a lot more money than what he was worth, Weaver did the right thing and moved him. Some people seem more concerned about the number of SRPs (which are really not worth much), but the smart thing was to get rid of a young player that didn’t develop and reload and take a swing at another player.

So to see Atlanta have to make a decision on how much to pay him is much better than to have that as a Piston’s problem.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#9 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:43 am

MrBigShot wrote:In his rookie year he did good just spotting up and hitting threes at a good clip. After that he tried to do to much and turned into a selfish black hole.

We were playing him as a PF at 6'7", so he hit the weights, bulked up, didn't focus on where he needed to improve.
I can't blame him entirely for that.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#10 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:25 am

He's a 3 and D guy that can't do either very well. We were right to trade him away although as others said the two mistakes that Troy made was (a) not doing it sooner, and (b) taking Wiseman instead of the five second rounders.

It will be interesting seeing what the Hawks do this summer. I doubt their owner/management wants to commit to another big salary when they may not even be a play-in team.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#11 » by 440BB » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:11 am

Meanwhile, 22 year old James Wiseman continues to work hard at becoming the Pistons backup center. He's showing improvement and should be inexpensive this summer.

By the time he's Saddiq's age we may think we got the better player in the trade. I don't think any of us saw that as a possibility.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#12 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:26 pm

Yeah, I'd rather have Wiseman than Bey if I'm being honest. Like has been said, Bey was a black hole. Wiseman at least has a good attitude and plays within the system.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#13 » by Billl » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:26 pm

I really don't know what happened to Bey. By all accounts, the guy is a gym rat. But if you look at his game as a rookie vs now, he's really not made any progress. He's even struggling from 3 this year which is just odd.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#14 » by TPA » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Bey suffered an ACL.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#15 » by GreekAlex » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:37 pm

TPA wrote:
Read on Twitter
Bey suffered an ACL.

Tough break. Hate to see it.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#16 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:38 pm

With a 8 to 10 month recovery time it'll be interesting to see what happens for him contract wise this summer. Does he simply take the QO from Atlanta (if they offer it) or does someone sign him to a longer deal.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:37 pm

bstein14 wrote:With a 8 to 10 month recovery time it'll be interesting to see what happens for him contract wise this summer. Does he simply take the QO from Atlanta (if they offer it) or does someone sign him to a longer deal.

I guess we don't get to see what his best offer was going to be. They might just let him go. Tough break for Bey.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#18 » by DetroitSho » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:05 am

I'm old enough to remember when we HAD to trade Grant to get Bey more shots and even consider making him the #1 option, as per this board.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#19 » by Rip32 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:47 pm

Get well Diq! You'll always be one of my favorite players

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority

Return to Detroit Pistons