ImageImageImage

Which Players Could We Get If We Traded Our Young Guys?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 474

Which Players Could We Get If We Traded Our Young Guys? 

Post#1 » by MortSahlfan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:16 pm

I want to see what the average evaluation is from this board, which would give me a better idea who in my mind we could get, as I try to envision trying to really win next year, which requires trading young guys potential for proven guys... Who could we get for each player individually is what I'm asking. Mid-20s to early 30s. Cade, Duren, Ausar, Ivey, even Stew with his extension.
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 136

Re: Which Players Could We Get If We Traded Our Young Guys? 

Post#2 » by keepitrealhomes » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:04 am

KAT is the player to watch if the wolves flame out. I’m growing more and more into the “sell high on Duren” train of thought, as well as the “Ivey minimally compliments Cade” group as well.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#3 » by Cowology » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 am

That's a really difficult question to answer. Guys on rookie contracts are best traded for other players on rookie contracts. Like the Sabonis/Hali flip. Stewart is the easiest to trade. Otherwise I think you get greater value by packaging them.

It feels like you are making it harder by trying to break it down to that level instead of evaluating outgoing packages, as it would likely be.

I've said before I'd package 2 of Ivey/Duren/1st and possibly all 3 in the right deal. Maybe my brain just works funny, but in my head I'd wanna know the best offer for that package then could decide yes/no. At least that my approach if I were in charge. *shrug*
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#4 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50 am

I think the better question is: Which players could we KEEP if we traded our young guys?
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#5 » by A_dub06 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:53 pm

keepitrealhomes wrote:KAT is the player to watch if the wolves flame out. I’m growing more and more into the “sell high on Duren” train of thought, as well as the “Ivey minimally compliments Cade” group as well.

Kat is one of the worst defensive bigs in the entire league, dude literally can’t defend 5’s. His contact is huge, and yeah he can help your offence, but he will always be targeted as a defender. Unless you know who the next gobert is going to be that we can get to mitigate his defensive woes he is not someone we should even think about.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#6 » by A_dub06 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:00 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I want to see what the average evaluation is from this board, which would give me a better idea who in my mind we could get, as I try to envision trying to really win next year, which requires trading young guys potential for proven guys... Who could we get for each player individually is what I'm asking. Mid-20s to early 30s. Cade, Duren, Ausar, Ivey, even Stew with his extension.

I know it’s a cop out but I vehemently disagree with the premise. We are not a good team, at all, simply put. Rushing chips in to get better now won’t lead us to anywhere promising if you’re talking about treading them for 25-30yr old established all-stars. Getting an actual needle mover will require every asset we have and then what, we have Cade and said player. Would still have average production from 3 other positions which is not a recipe for success. If we are going to trade Ivey or Duren they need to be for players that can actually move the needle. I don’t think that “star” is available to us. Trading Duren for Trey Murphy and drafting Sarr would put us in a much better position with improved shooting and Sarr’s potential is off the charts. I reckon I’d give Ivey one more seaosn to get it together before trading him. He just needs to improve his shot and not be toilet on defence
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:27 pm

I guess I want to trade "trade high" because I have a feeling the Pistons are going to tie in so much money on potential, or lose guys for nothing.

We'd probably have to go and try to pry 2-way players on bad teams... Like Mikal Bridges.

I have faith in Cade, he just needs players around him who do move the needle, who are consistent, 2-way players. Mid/late 20s... Stew isn't paid a ton.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:23 pm

Atlanta was at a point where they would need to trade someone if they wanted to keep Bey and not pay the luxury tax, but that might have changed with Bey's injury.

The real question is what decent starting level players are out there to be had for younger guys. Do the Bulls finally rebuild and move Caruso for a younger piece or pick? Do the Jazz want to do more of a full rebuild rather than pay Lauri a huge bag? Do the Blazers listen to offers on Grant & Brogdon? Will teams facing the 2nd apron, or even just the luxury tax find value in one of our young guys on a rookie deal in exchange for being able to tax away their tax burden with our cap space??

Lots of questions for sure as well as the reported rumor that Weaver will likely trade this first round pick.... with the pressure on him to apparently win early next season. I don't think we can be bottom 3 in the league Jan 1st and Weaver still have his job.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:57 pm

Caruso is a guy I'd love.. Atlanta traded their All-Star (John Collins) for a 2nd round pick. If they want to shed salary, Murray could be a good piece.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#10 » by Spider156 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:12 pm

keepitrealhomes wrote:KAT is the player to watch if the wolves flame out. I’m growing more and more into the “sell high on Duren” train of thought, as well as the “Ivey minimally compliments Cade” group as well.

I’be been there with Duren the moment I realized Ausar can’t shoot. If the right trade is available this summer, I’d trade Duren before NBA realizes he’s really bad on defense.

As for Ivey, I still think he’s gonna be good just because his mom is a coach. He eats, breathes, sleeps basketball. I see it with his defense, he’s passionate at times. Duren is NOT passionate about defense. I’m not sure if that’ll change.

Seeing Wiseman becoming a solid center, I’m all in on trading Duren to focus on developing ausar.

KAT Stewart Ausar fit quite well together.
Defense wins championships
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm

I rather have Gobert than KAT

Return to Detroit Pistons