bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,053

Re: Game 69 - Pistons-Pacers - 7pm ET 

Post#41 » by bstein14 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:33 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Billl wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
I've heard this narrative and I believed it at one point but I researched it and its not true. What happened was Weaver called Monty right away on the coaching search and Monty told him he was going to take the year off. Monty and Troy go way back as they worked together in OKC. It was another case of Troy going after a old buddy that he worked with in OKC.

Troy went after Ollie thinking Monty was off the market. Rather then settle for their 2nd choice Gores stepped in with a offer Monty couldnt refuse.

"Weaver immediately reached out to Williams (the two men worked together in Oklahoma City), but he said he was strongly considering taking the year off, although he indicated he found the Pistons job intriguing because of Cunningham and the young core. After the initial talk, Williams called back several days later to indicate he was taking the year off."

https://www.nba.com/pistons/news/how-the-tom-gores-troy-weaver-meeting-with-monty-williams-sealed-the-deal

Nah, that's just pistons PR after the fact. There was a major split right from the start in terms of team direction, who they were signing, and especially Ivey.

I dont buy this at all. Weaver worked with Monty. He could of easily told Gores he knows how he operates and hes a bad choice. Clearly your gonna listen when Weaver knows the guy on that level.

100% the entire team was ok with Monty which is why Gores went out and paid him the biggest contract of all-time. The team disagreed on the 2nd choice with Tellum and Weaver both wanting a different person for the job if we couldn't land Weaver. Weaver wanted Monty (or at least that's what he said... perhaps he never thought Monty was a real possibility).

Return to Detroit Pistons