ImageImageImage

March Madness RealGM Bracket Challenge- make your picks!

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,811

Re: The final week of Conference Tourneys before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#81 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:50 pm

Yup, I know. I might jinx UConn like I did to Houston, but I don't see it. Unless some freak injury UConn is your Big East champ.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,560

Re: The final week of Conference Tourneys before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#82 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:51 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:LOL another #1 seed falls. Purdue lost to Wisconsin in Big10 semis. Top seeds don't seem to have momentum.

Except Houston.

Ehhhh….lol

I know. I know. Iowa state is blowing them out. Houston is without 2 of their bigs in this game. Injuries will be a factor. Without a physical presence inside, I don't care how good your perimeter players you can't win in today's NCAA.

So UConn is so far the only top seed who's not yet lost in their respective conference tournament. And likely won't against a soft Marquette in the final.

I feel like UNC has been lurking the past 6 weeks or so and may just be the best and most complete team...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,488

Post#83 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:26 am

___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:LOL another #1 seed falls. Purdue lost to Wisconsin in Big10 semis. Top seeds don't seem to have momentum.

Except Houston.

Ehhhh….lol

I know. I know. Iowa state is blowing them out. Houston is without 2 of their bigs in this game. Injuries will be a factor. Without a physical presence inside, I don't care how good your perimeter players you can't win in today's NCAA.

So UConn is so far the only top seed who's not yet lost in their respective conference tournament. And likely won't against a soft Marquette in the final.

How long are those big guys out. I see you didn't mention it until after the got blown out..just that they have momentum. Just from more casually following overall, I felt Houston definitely had the best chance to win it all.

If the actual tournament is half as crazy as these, it's going to be a hell of a tourney.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#84 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Ehhhh….lol

How long are those big guys out. I see you didn't mention it until after the got blown out..just that they have momentum. Just from more casually following overall, I felt Houston definitely had the best chance to win it all.

If the actual tournament is half as crazy as these, it's going to be a hell of a tourney.

Houston doesn’t have a great offense tho unless cryer is nailing 3s
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#85 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:31 am

azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Ehhhh….lol

I feel like UNC has been lurking the past 6 weeks or so and may just be the best and most complete team...

Yeah I think UNC def has momentum right now. The kind of mo I look for going into the tournament. NC State looked real good beating Duke too. Can they stay consistent is the question.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#86 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Ehhhh….lol

One guy got injured during the semi. The 2nd guy got injured in the 1st half vs Iowa State. You saw the big difference late in 1st half but particularly in 2nd half. We're going to have to wait to hear how long they're out for. Not good for Houston.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#87 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:33 am

azcatz11 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

Houston doesn’t have a great offense tho unless cryer is nailing 3s

Yeah Houston's offense is their defense. When the turnovers and transitions disappear they're in trouble.

Yeah right now it could be anyone's tournament. Whoever gets hot. Some teams are getting hot at the right time though.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,488

Post#88 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:35 am

azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Ehhhh….lol

They have kind of climbed in the rankings by default...other teams blowing games. They are good, but the ACC isn't great this year. They did, however, beat Duke and Pitt twice and Virginia but split with Clemson, lost to Syracuse and they lost to a bad Georgia Tech team. But two of their other losses are to good teams in UConn and Kentucky. Their only other bad loss non conf to Villanova...I guess they are not terrible but they are not that good...middle of the road team.

Coming into today, I didn't think they were in the same league as the top 3 teams. Purdue lost, but it was in OT to an always tough (as we well know) Wisconsin team.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#89 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:42 am

Wolfpack have taken an early lead against UNC in the ACC tourney final.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,036

Re: The final stretch before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#90 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:48 am

Chuck Everett wrote:UConn goes back to back IMO. They are healthy now and Clingan is a game changer. It looks like Houston has lost three bench players for the season.

I am going to piggy back on this. They are my favorite and have been from the start. However, I think Florida and Auburn have the ingredients to get to a final four. Auburn has a plethora of bigs to throw at teams and Florida has a lot of guards. Iowa State is a different team away from their fans, so even though their defense is elite, if you check their splits, home/road, it's not good.

Houston, losing three bench players (Roberts will play in the tournament), is just too much. They have a freshman playing (Cedric Lath), who was only playing in garbage time. They lost their tall wing defender in Arceneaux, their backup big in Tugler and their hustle glue guy in Ramon Walker. Their backcourt is 6'1, 6'1, 6'3. Without those other players, forget about it. Don't be shocked if they lose in round 2. Maybe round 1 if their offense abandons them. They are too one dimensional as an offensive team because they can't throw it in the post for offense.

TLDR: UConn, Florida, Auburn are the teams I think can make a final four. I'll make my predictions once the brackets come out. UConn repeats.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#91 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:56 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:UConn goes back to back IMO. They are healthy now and Clingan is a game changer. It looks like Houston has lost three bench players for the season.

I am going to piggy back on this. They are my favorite and have been from the start. However, I think Florida and Auburn have the ingredients to get to a final four. Auburn has a plethora of bigs to throw at teams and Florida has a lot of guards. Iowa State is a different team away from their fans, so even though their defense is elite, if you check their splits, home/road, it's not good.

Houston, losing three bench players (Roberts will play in the tournament), is just too much. They have a freshman playing (Cedric Lath), who was only playing in garbage time. They lost their tall wing defender in Arceneaux, their backup big in Tugler and their hustle glue guy in Ramon Walker. Their backcourt is 6'1, 6'1, 6'3. Without those other players, forget about it. Don't be shocked if they lose in round 2. Maybe round 1 if their offense abandons them. They are too one dimensional as an offensive team because they can't throw it in the post for offense.

TLDR: UConn, Florida, Auburn are the teams I think can make a final four. I'll make my predictions once the brackets come out. UConn repeats.

Florida eh? That’s a spicy pick. That dude Aberdeen had a hell of a game today. They’re legit I think. Good guard play
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#92 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:00 am

Chuck Everett wrote:

Good logic. Houston's too small. They played 4 guards in 2nd half line up. Not gonna do it. UConn has lots going for it, but repeating is so tough. That's my only thing against them. I'd put them into Final 4. But, a back to back is due perhaps? Last time was Florida in 2007.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#93 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:06 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Florida eh? That’s a spicy pick. That dude Aberdeen had a hell of a game today. They’re legit I think. Good guard play

Clayton Jr, Pullin, Kugel and Richard. All are at least 6'3 and can shoot the rock. Aberdeen is like their 5th perimeter scorer at best.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#94 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 am

So anyone else take off Thursday and Friday to watch all the games?
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#95 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:09 am

___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Good logic. Houston's too small. They played 4 guards in 2nd half line up. Not gonna do it. UConn has lots going for it, but repeating is so tough. That's my only thing against them. I'd put them into Final 4. But, a back to back is due perhaps? Last time was Florida in 2007.

UConn has a bunch of future NBA guys too. Clingan, Castle, Karaban. I think Newton will get a cup of coffee. They are a well rounded team without a ton of weaknesses. You're going to have to score to beat them. Can't just beat them with defense.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#96 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:10 am

azcatz11 wrote:So anyone else take off Thursday and Friday to watch all the games?

Since I was 13 years old. 30 years of this ish for me. Yup, I'm old.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#97 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:11 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:So anyone else take off Thursday and Friday to watch all the games?

I remember in high school our teachers used to wheel in TVs to the classrooms…obviously limited to what game was on since everything was CBS. We’ve come a long way :D
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#98 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:13 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

I remember in high school our teachers used to wheel in TVs to the classrooms…obviously limited to what game was on since everything was CBS. We’ve come a long way :D

My parents just leave me alone during March. They know this is one of my few hobbies. I love March Madness. There's just something about watching basketball where there are stakes. I'm watching two games as we speak. St. Peters-Fairfield in MAAC title game and Kent State-Akron in the MAC title game.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#99 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:48 am

YET another #1 seed about to fall in conference tournament. NC State about to beat North Carolina. NC State is a good looking team when their game is on.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#100 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:55 am

Chuck Everett wrote:]

UConn has a bunch of future NBA guys too. Clingan, Castle, Karaban. I think Newton will get a cup of coffee. They are a well rounded team without a ton of weaknesses. You're going to have to score to beat them. Can't just beat them with defense.

3 NBA players? I don't think I've heard that one before (have to check the mock drafts). Have to admit not watching Big East this year. Will be watching some replays of their best games before the tournament. Any you recommend?

Return to Detroit Pistons