Detroit Pistons vs NY knicks 7;30

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Re: Detroit Pistons vs NY knicks 7;30 

Post#41 » by theBigLip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:06 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:https://nypost.com/2024/03/26/sports/monty-williams-appears-to-shade-how-donte-divincenzo-broke-knicks-3-point-record/
Monty 'Set Me Free And Fire Me' Williams wrote:I don’t care about their team at all,” Williams said. “I couldn’t care less. Those guys, the way they got those threes. I don’t want to be a part of that story.”

Josh Hart on Monty Williams’ Donte DiVincenzo comments: “If he didn’t want to be part of the story, he should’ve told his guys to defend better."

Meaningless game. Certainly a tainted record but that’s on the Knicks.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,755

Post#42 » by zeebneeb » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:10 pm

DBC10 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I just checked the box score. What an embarrassment to the NBA, to the city, and to the state of Michigan.

Gores, sell the damn team to someone who genuinely cares about basketball. Just disgusting.

In all honesty, we have our summer league roster out there tonight.

This. We're beyond tanking at this point and it was intentional what we were running out there. Not sure what people expected when we can't even name half the starting line up on any given night
3 years ago, or hell even last season, I would probably agree. I expect more.

Now?

When will the pain stop? I feel like Apollo Creeds coach from Rocky 4, but he got bored and went home already after yelling and screaming for hours.

Every single game should count right now. Not showing any effort or care, 4 years into a rebuild, and the 5th straight 23 or less win season.

I've said it before, and ill say it until I'm blue in the face;

What is happening here, in Detroit, is exceedingly rare. So much so, that there are only 3 teams that have ever been this bad for this long of a stretch, (one team was during a lockout shortened season!)and if they do it again next year, they will be in the same realm as the first 6 years of the expansion Vancouver Grizzlies.

Other teams fans, and apparently a sizeable portion of Piston fans, don't understand what is happening here, and how highly irregular it is.

The Pistons have become the very definition of rock bottom.

Worst, or second worst run franchise over a 5 year period, EVER. 6 is looming LARGE.

This stretch is historically bad.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#43 » by Invictus88 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:41 pm

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Why is the above true? Because you say it is?

There's still 10 games left; roughly 1/8 of a season. It's clear we can't be competitive and that's fine. But we still have a lot of minutes that can be used for growth. Are you going to say that our players don't need that?

I honestly don't care if Monty uses the last 10 games as scrimmages where we continuously force-feed certain players in positions just to see them work on skills. Try different defensive schemes. Call timeouts at weird times to stress fundamental approaches. Who cares. If we aren't winning we might as well use them for something. I think the fans and players would even understand that much more than what is going on right now.

The lack of logic in the above post astounds me honestly. It would be one thing if we were tanking for the draft. But there is no one to tank for.

If the above poster is correct then the Pistons as an organization would be better off if they simply forfeited the last 10 games. Because as this person stated the season is over in every sense. Pack it up. Nothing more to do here. Save the travel expenses.

I hope people with extremely.... interesting.... comments can turn the page and simply leave instead of making... interesting... judgemental comments about folks who have a right to be upset if they want to be. It's the epitome of wasting one's own time.

I think my comment wasn't clear and was misunderstood.

Even during the historic losing streak, I found enjoyment in seeing the young players develop and how they played together.

The only players who played yesterday that I want to see back next year are Sasser & Ivey.

My comment regarding the developmental season being kind of over was that it's hard to judge those young guys and their development when they're playing with such a hodgepodge lineup.

I'm not saying that anyone doesn't have the right to voice their displeasure but I get confused when I see crazy negative comments when 90% of the regular roster isn't playing and nothing has changed. I think to myself what's the point of screaming "This team sucks and everyone needs to be fired" after every loss or during every game thread?

Agree with both of you, I think the first comment wasn’t communicated well. Bottom line, season is over in terms of wins and posters shouldn’t lose their minds about the wins or the lineups. But there are minutes to be played in real NBA games - everyone still should be working on their games, even the coaches.

So I think the issue that has most people complaining about is exactly the fact that the regular roster isn't playing. If folks believed that all of the reasons for folks not playing are legitimate and would be occurring whether this team was 40-20 or 10-50 then I don't think there would be any complaints. But it's just not the case.

We've tanked the last how many years. We've seen what that looks like. This is what it looks like. And this year it's really problematic because there really isn't anything to look forward to in terms of the draft.

So if there's no point in purposefully tanking then what are we really doing here? We're not developing for our future. Rather, we are just randomly throwing dudes out there to fill minutes. Lineups matter. That is what everyone is upset about.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#44 » by theBigLip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:59 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
I think my comment wasn't clear and was misunderstood.

Even during the historic losing streak, I found enjoyment in seeing the young players develop and how they played together.

The only players who played yesterday that I want to see back next year are Sasser & Ivey.

My comment regarding the developmental season being kind of over was that it's hard to judge those young guys and their development when they're playing with such a hodgepodge lineup.

I'm not saying that anyone doesn't have the right to voice their displeasure but I get confused when I see crazy negative comments when 90% of the regular roster isn't playing and nothing has changed. I think to myself what's the point of screaming "This team sucks and everyone needs to be fired" after every loss or during every game thread?

Agree with both of you, I think the first comment wasn’t communicated well. Bottom line, season is over in terms of wins and posters shouldn’t lose their minds about the wins or the lineups. But there are minutes to be played in real NBA games - everyone still should be working on their games, even the coaches.

So I think the issue that has most people complaining about is exactly the fact that the regular roster isn't playing. If folks believed that all of the reasons for folks not playing are legitimate and would be occurring whether this team was 40-20 or 10-50 then I don't think there would be any complaints. But it's just not the case.

We've tanked the last how many years. We've seen what that looks like. This is what it looks like. And this year it's really problematic because there really isn't anything to look forward to in terms of the draft.

So if there's no point in purposefully tanking then what are we really doing here? We're not developing for our future. Rather, we are just randomly throwing dudes out there to fill minutes. Lineups matter. That is what everyone is upset about.

I don’t agree that we are purposefully tanking. It’s not a secret that it is a **** draft. And yes, I’m sure some players have injuries that that would play through if we were on a playoff push. But do you really want Stewart playing w a bad hamstring? Like most tears, it can get worse. So not worth the risk. Ausar definitely has something serious. Grimes, who is supposed to be back, clearly has a knee issue. Not only do I want him to sit and be sure he’s 100%, if he’s even thinking about off season surgery, have it now so you can be in the best shape for next year. I don’t know about all the injuries but it is what it is. So we push out a lineup with the remaining players. I agree it isn’t pretty and I’m not going to watch much of the rest of these last 10 games. End of bench guys get some minutes. Good for them to work on their games. But I’m not going to bitch about the situation.

Back to the draft - there are only a few franchise players that come out of the draft. If Wemby can’t carry the Spurs, Sarr certainly isn’t changing our world next year. The draft is a long game. You keep trying to draft well, and slowly build up those young assets and have a continuous supply coming in. But free agency and trades are usually more impactful, especially if you’re a play-in team or better. So Weaver isn’t telling Monty to lose so we can get Sarr or Risacher. He knows as well as anyone that you can’t count on ping pong balls. Even if we get one of them, they aren’t starting next year.

With all that said, I’m much more interested in what we do in free agency and trades. If done correctly, we should get to the play-in. If not, Weaver is probably gone.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,603

Post#45 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:26 pm

Coach needs to be less transparent in his tanking techniques.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,755

Post#46 » by zeebneeb » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 am

theBigLip wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I don’t agree that we are purposefully tanking. It’s not a secret that it is a **** draft. And yes, I’m sure some players have injuries that that would play through if we were on a playoff push. But do you really want Stewart playing w a bad hamstring? Like most tears, it can get worse. So not worth the risk. Ausar definitely has something serious. Grimes, who is supposed to be back, clearly has a knee issue. Not only do I want him to sit and be sure he’s 100%, if he’s even thinking about off season surgery, have it now so you can be in the best shape for next year. I don’t know about all the injuries but it is what it is. So we push out a lineup with the remaining players. I agree it isn’t pretty and I’m not going to watch much of the rest of these last 10 games. End of bench guys get some minutes. Good for them to work on their games. But I’m not going to bitch about the situation.

Back to the draft - there are only a few franchise players that come out of the draft. If Wemby can’t carry the Spurs, Sarr certainly isn’t changing our world next year. The draft is a long game. You keep trying to draft well, and slowly build up those young assets and have a continuous supply coming in. But free agency and trades are usually more impactful, especially if you’re a play-in team or better. So Weaver isn’t telling Monty to lose so we can get Sarr or Risacher. He knows as well as anyone that you can’t count on ping pong balls. Even if we get one of them, they aren’t starting next year.

With all that said, I’m much more interested in what we do in free agency and trades. If done correctly, we should get to the play-in. If not, Weaver is probably gone.
If the Pistons make the play-in, it would be a historic turnaround if memory serves.

I'd settle for 30 wins, and competitive. Not the road kill this franchise has become.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#47 » by chrbal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:53 am

zeebneeb wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
chrbal wrote:

In all honesty, we have our summer league roster out there tonight.

This. We're beyond tanking at this point and it was intentional what we were running out there. Not sure what people expected when we can't even name half the starting line up on any given night
3 years ago, or hell even last season, I would probably agree. I expect more.

Now?

When will the pain stop? I feel like Apollo Creeds coach from Rocky 4, but he got bored and went home already after yelling and screaming for hours.

Every single game should count right now. Not showing any effort or care, 4 years into a rebuild, and the 5th straight 23 or less win season.

I've said it before, and ill say it until I'm blue in the face;

What is happening here, in Detroit, is exceedingly rare. So much so, that there are only 3 teams that have ever been this bad for this long of a stretch, (one team was during a lockout shortened season!)and if they do it again next year, they will be in the same realm as the first 6 years of the expansion Vancouver Grizzlies.

Other teams fans, and apparently a sizeable portion of Piston fans, don't understand what is happening here, and how highly irregular it is.

The Pistons have become the very definition of rock bottom.

Worst, or second worst run franchise over a 5 year period, EVER. 6 is looming LARGE.

This stretch is historically bad.

The summer league comment was trying to show how poorly this team has been set up.

The process Sixers were at least trying to be bad, expansion teams were at least just starting out. We’re god awful, like the NBA needs to step in and help right this situation.

We’re in the 4th year of them just trying to patch the problem. Which is insane with the fact that most free agents get 2 and 3 year deals now.

Weaver and Williams have done enough to where they have to be let go. With the difficulty of this upcoming draft, does anyone really want Weaver making that decision.

It’s legitimately embarrassing that I, with no general manager experience, could easily have done better than Weaver with all his experience.

I’ve watched the Pistons since they had 0 championships and I haven’t bothered watching a game this season in months.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#48 » by theBigLip » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 am

zeebneeb wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

If the Pistons make the play-in, it would be a historic turnaround if memory serves.

I'd settle for 30 wins, and competitive. Not the road kill this franchise has become.

Looks like this year it will take about 37 wins in the East, 42 in the West. At least our conference isn’t as deep.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#49 » by NYPiston » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:08 pm

Those are loser comments by Monty, to no surprise. I hate coaches that complain about the score "being run up on them", a complete loser mentality. If you don't want the score to be run up on you, have your guys show some pride and play defense.

I know I keep repeating this, but this is the lowest the franchise has ever been in my 35 or so years of watching and Monty is a big reason for that. The few years post-Isiah were ugly and the Charlie V./Gordon/Josh Smith years but somehow this feels worse because they should be better but they just keep regressing. Buying out Monty this offseason would right a lot of wrongs. They'd still need better players of course but this guy is just not fit to coach THIS team. The sooner you rip off the band aid the better. I'd love nothing more than for Monty to prove me wrong and for people to resurrect this post to mock me but it sure doesn't seem like that will happen.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#50 » by NYPiston » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:13 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Totally agree. I tuned out during the first quarter.

It’s been a tough watch lately.

I’m not sure why so many posters are frantic considering the lineups that are seeing the floor.

The season is over in every sense. Even the developmental season is kind of over.

I hope people with extreme negative comments can turn the page and stop expecting anything the rest of the way. It’s the epitome of beating a dead horse.

It's a 12 win team before the injuries so this is a culmination of season long frustration, not just the rubbish we've seen on the court the last 4 games or so of which I haven't seen one minute and I applaud the dedication of those of who have.

Return to Detroit Pistons