ImageImageImage

Sports Illustrated article calls Tom Gores "Over his head" and Pistons "laughing stock" ...Weaver...

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,054

Sports Illustrated article calls Tom Gores "Over his head" and Pistons "laughing stock" ...Weaver... 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:51 am

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/fans-want-hamp-buy-pistons?fbclid=IwAR1_5QG1cUDtdf61j-551ke_DaXuRrdFtKBs10He34PPQnRwex2qoD9U7LQ_aem_ASG5cNhWDQPtjxltvgP-9PMFwo7HU0dQbcvutf8hZ4SMgN3Sk34PJzVaLctLszBXUlV9VvWAlXtozhFLDZ36p97K

The Detroit Pistons have become one of the worst NBA franchises, due in large part to an owner who is clearly in over his head.

Tom Gores' record as owner of the Pistons speaks for itself. Since 2011, the team has not had any semblance of playoff success. General manager Troy Weaver has built a roster that has lost more games with each passing season.

Keep Watching

What is truly laughable is that Gores has allowed the once proud franchise to become the laughing stock of the entire NBA.

Any owner with a reasonable sense of competitiveness or a pulse of what is happening with the team would not have allowed Troy Weaver to step foot on the premises after an embarrassing 28-game losing streak.

Despite the team being unwatchable this season, Detroit Lions owner Sheila Hamp was spotted this week in attendance at Little Caesars Arena, where the Pistons faced off against the Memphis Grizzlies Monday evening.

Just like most evenings, the Pistons were unable to close out a game in the fourth quarter despite having a 92-85 lead with a quarter to play. Their latest loss dropped the Pistons record to 13-62 on the season.

Once it was reported Hamp was in attendance, supporters of both the Lions and Pistons immediately expressed in unity that Gores should sell the team to an owner that understands the importance of winning.

Gores has yet to comprehend that giving lip service to a fanbase passionate about winning is going to end up resulting in regular "Sell the Team" chants, which became more and more prevalant throughout another losing season.

While Hamp may not have interest in owning a defunct NBA team, the message was definitely understood.

The Pistons' fanbase no longer wants an owner who is okay with assembling a disastrous roster and attempting to sell it as a rebuilding effort.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Re: Sports Illustrated article calls Tom Gores "Over his head" and Pistons "laughing stock" ...Weaver... 

Post#2 » by flow » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:56 am

It's not really "Sports Illustrated". It's a local branch mlive-type thing with sports illustrated's name slapped on it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,767

Re: Sports Illustrated article calls Tom Gores "Over his head" and Pistons "laughing stock" ...Weaver... 

Post#3 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:21 am

Kirthmon F. Dozier, who wrote the piece, is actually a PHOTOGRAPHER for the Free Press.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#4 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:19 am

theBigLip wrote:Kirthmon F. Dozier, who wrote the piece, is actually a PHOTOGRAPHER for the Free Press.

Looks like the piece was written by John Maakaron, who writes when not being a shrink:

https://muckrack.com/john-maakaron

The photograph used in the piece is from Kirt Dozier, who recently passed away.
I doubt he came back from the grave to write that:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2024/01/07/kirt-dozier-sr-legendary-sports-photographer-and-loving-father-dies/72134587007/

Sure, have the Ford family buy the team from Gores.
It only took them 70 years to maybe get the Lions right.
Own two franchises at once? You're making me illitch.
Just an absolutely brilliant take.
If it were printed, I'd have some toilet paper.

SI is at the brink of bankruptcy, seemingly due to a Michigan owner's mismanagement:

https://nypost.com/2024/04/01/media/sports-illustrated-owner-sues-ex-publisher-for-missing-48-million-payment/

So yeah, lessons from SI is what Gores needs. Yessir....
(Well, unless Gores decides to put out a calendar featuring "Hot Girls of the Pistons" once a year.)
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,767

Post#5 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:27 pm

theBigLip wrote:Kirthmon F. Dozier, who wrote the piece, is actually a PHOTOGRAPHER for the Free Press.

Oops, my bad. He took the photo of Ms Ford.

Good points Mxy.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#6 » by princeofpalace » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:35 am

Gores does suck as an owner, he clearly doesn't care about winning and I wish he would sell the team to someone who does.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#7 » by Drwho17 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:44 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Gores does suck as an owner, he clearly doesn't care about winning and I wish he would sell the team to someone who does.

I think he just isn't tuned in to the NBA, he's not cheap, he spends money which is basically what you want an NBA owner to do, he's not trying to move the team either, the league sent him Stefanski, Tellum was supposed to help make connections, it hasn't worked out, but I think he does care it's just not his passion, I mean he's embarrassed when talking to his big boy friends i imagine. The only problem i have with Gores other than his mishires, is that he doesn't live in the Detroit area, I really like my pro team owners to be tied to the area. That's why when they were for sale, and the Ilitich's hired Tom Wilson I was hoping they would join the Little Caesar's portfolio (at the time), of course now I'm not sure, is Chris Illitch much better than Gores? He may be worse, cheaper.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,081

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:41 pm

Duh.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#9 » by TPA » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:29 pm

I wonder if the sentiment expressed by the author here is that of an observer (like most of us) with an outside view of the organization and coming to his own rationalized conclusions... or if this guy is connected to people well embedded within the organization.
One thing that I've noticed from JE3's recent articles over at "The Athletic" is that he has recently become MUCH more critical of Weaver & Williams in recent weeks. Not a whole lot of mention of the failures of other FO personnel or the owner (which would be well deserved).
These media outlets and their reporters are typically briefed/leveraged when sentiment within an organization has changed. The propaganda machine(s) are activated, and the seeds of justification for the "new direction" are planted... Do not be at all surprised if the machine is at work here, priming us for the inevitable change(es) that have already been determined for this off-season.

Return to Detroit Pistons